The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Is It That We Don't Have A Spear Yet?

Valkyr-Umbra

Yes! Spears! We need one! They are legit, and probably my favorite kind of melee weapon... but probably the most underrated.

I want to grab Volt and a sexy spear and be Kaladin Stormblessed!

EDIT: Plus, it would honestly make more sense for a spear to be thrown at the end of a combo than the sword component of Silva and Aegis. Not that I dislike that combo. It makes Silva and Aegis so much more legit. Still a very cool idea.

Edited by Siubijeni

Synoid Gammacor used to be like a lightsaber (extend, then slash, slash, slash)

Post nerf, I find that the way I use it becomes like a spear... (aim, poke, aim poke)

Think a few posts further up as it right: asian 'spear', esp in martial arts, are used in more ways than the traditional concept of spears, often incorporating techniques from staves and other polearms (actually different weapons), but have a definite style (emphasizing thrusts more, often using one hand as the pivot, while the other hand pushes and pulls the spear)

More

Edited by smithf

Collapsible form like the original Orthos (When sheathed it shrank to half it's length)

Blade made of energy on the end of a stick. (Lightsaber spear anyone?)

Throwing spears made of energy that form from a special gauntlet.

Spear and shield (300 style!)

Id love to see a spear that in its sheathed form is just a simple cylinder on your back. Then when you equip it the cylinder juts out at both ends revealing a massive puncture weapon (A.K.A Spear. ) This weapon is made on nano machines that can change the form of the weapon based on the situation . So if you wanted to have it be a throw able melee then the nano machines change the weapon so that when thrown a chain of the nanites attach to your arm when thrown so the weapon comes back to its wielder. And maybe in its blocking form the nanites form into a shield 

Edited by chuchalen56

Energy spear?

I'll Nibelung Valesti infested in space with my Valkyr to celebrate the day javelin type weapon and/or stance implemented.

Both for Archwing and Surface missions.

I freakin love Valkyr, and she could totally rock a spear :D  Hopefully it'd have a good crit chance/multiplier and base damage for her hysteria...

Yes, yes, yes +110 to spears being implemented. We want them DE give them to us! Regular spears, energy spears, double sided spears, halberds with half puncture/slash dmg. Shouldn't be too difficult to add to the game since you already have pole arms. Also with add on tassles clearly. One can only dream..

Might just be they're having a hard time animating it so it doesn't look ridiculous.  A spear used in it's most basic attack - an extended thrust - is apt to clip through enemies.  It's easy enough to forgive a slash moving through an enemy.  Forgiving the haft of a spear sticking through him is gonna be visually more off putting.

Isn't a polearm effectively a generic name for a 'pole weapon' ?

As in any weapon that has a long shaft ?

So a spear is effectively a pole weapon or pole arm.

Thing like Spears, Halberds, Guisarme and Ranseurs are all different types of weapons, but could all be classed as polearms. 

eg. you could have a long bladed spear which effectively is used for slashing as well as thrusting 

I think what you're talking about a fighting stance that uses only thrusts, and coupling that to a long weapon that's high in puncture damage.

.. also the Jat Kittag is a Grineer weapon that the Tenno are using because it's awesome :)

Edited by Sh0ck-Wave

Isn't a polearm effectively a generic name for a 'pole weapon' ?

As in any weapon that has a long shaft ?

So a spear is effectively a pole weapon or pole arm.

Thing like Spears, Halberds, Guisarme and Ranseurs are all different types of weapons, but could all be classed as polearms. 

eg. you could have a long bladed spear which effectively is used for slashing as well as thrusting 

I think what you're talking about a fighting stance that uses only thrusts, and coupling that to a long weapon that's high in puncture damage.

.. also the Jat Kittag is a Grineer weapon that the Tenno are using because it's awesome :)

We've really already talked this to death so I'm not going to go into much detail. Although spears are polearms, polearms aren't necessarily spears, spears are a specific subcategory of polearms with substantial differences from a generic polearm.

If you tried to use an orthos prime as you would a thrusting spear, you would be very unhappy with the results (and blood loss) unfortunately, so its a bit more complicated than a thrusting stance.

I personally prefer to call spears "spears" instead of polearms. Polearm is very unspecific, at least where spears are concerned. It'd be like calling a machine gun simply a gun,or a rapier a sword. Its correct, but unspecific at the least (just as not all weapons that are technically swords could be used the same in warframe, the same is true for polearms). Spears would have to be wielded differently from every polearm in warframe to date, and also designed differently (with the singular design exception being tonbo). 

Edited by Snowman486

The Tonbo isn't a spear. So let's stop saying that we have a spear, alright? The glaive is also called a glaive but it isn't actually a glaive...

By such logic (calling the Tonbo a spear because it was named after a legendary Japanese spear), we should also consider Excalibur to be a sword.

Names mean nothing. Either the weapons is a spear, or it isn't. It isn't.

The Tonbo is a either a Guisarme or a Billhook, both of which are polearms, but not in the "spear" category of polearms. Probably a Billhook.

A spear is a pointed polearms designed for the express purpose of thrusting.

A number of polearms actually fall into the spear category, but the Guisarme and Billhook are not amongst them.

What we are asking for is an actual spear, not a weapon that isn't a spear, but is still named after one. Two very different things...

A spear is made to be thrown too .. 

I'm not a fan of the Glaive, but a spear you can melee with (thrust / puncture) and that you can throw at an enemy would rock.

Regarding the mechanics we already have

- dropped / pickup weapons from the Grineer disarming guy

- bullet drop over distance from the bows

- static bullet 'impale' from the boltor

- knockback / ragdoll also from the boltor

.. so mechanics to have a weapon you can both attack with, throw and need to go pickup again should be in the game already .. relatively. 

I'll put my hand up for something like that, and then for the 'Grineer rocket' or 'Corpus lightning' version.

If we're going to get a Thrusting, Puncture damage based Spear can we also get a Rapier weapon?

Also, I hope you Tenno realize that if we were to get a thrusting, advancing sort of move set it'd be through a Stance that you could put on any of the correct type of weapon, right? Which seems like it'd be for the best because it widens options for how you could potentially build existing weapons too.

Gimme Puncture type Spear + Stance for aggressive, forward marching thrusts.

Gimme Puncture type Sword + Stance for rapid, multi-hit advancing combos.

If we're going to get a Thrusting, Puncture damage based Spear can we also get a Rapier weapon?

That would be glorious, especially with Limbo's over all aesthetic. Then again, could with Mesa ala Musketeer...

Although I would be disappointed if a Rapier/Piercing sword Stance lacked a 'Fencing salute' idle.

Gimme Puncture type Spear + Stance for aggressive, forward marching thrusts.

I think what you're talking about a fighting stance that uses only thrusts, and coupling that to a long weapon that's high in puncture damage.

This is kinda awkward... but.. here ya go. Last time I swear!  ;)

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/391352-new-weapon-class-spear-featuring-the-zatu/?hl=zatu

Edited by Meneliki

I'm not going to bother listing them, it'd take too long. We've got like 200 weapons, and no spear yet. To put that in context, we got a gunblade, 2 saw-guns, a laser canon and a throwing hammer before we got a spear. Does that seem a little backwards to anyone else?

EDIT: as there seems to be some misunderstanding of the differences between spears and polearms...

Spears are built mainly to be thrusted (or in some cases thrown), polearms are built mainly to be swung (yes you can swing a spear, or thrust a polearm, but its not the intended/most effective usage, also you really can't throw a polearm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_weapon

what about nunchucks, kodachis, that chains with knives (dont know the name), etc, we have a lot of weapons out there mate, i think eventually the devs are going to add those, warframe has to grow a lot more, just wait^^

Whether you think so or not, what we have is halberd/polearm-like in appearance. Having  similar weapon with only a sharp point (without a blade) makes it pretty useless for anything beyond thrusts. In other words, the express purpose for the lack of spears is the lack of usefulness in a wider range of attacks and moves.

Yes, you could swing it around in various ways, or treat it like a bo, but then it would just be a bo with a pointy end. It wouldn't really elicit a new weapon type.

what about nunchucks, kodachis, that chains with knives (dont know the name), etc, we have a lot of weapons out there mate, i think eventually the devs are going to add those, warframe has to grow a lot more, just wait^^

A fair point, and I'm certain they'll get to it eventually, but the spear is a pretty important weapon, and I just feel like they've got their order a little mixed up.

Whether you think so or not, what we have is halberd/polearm-like in appearance. 

Depends on the halberd/polearm, both historically and in warframe.

Having  similar weapon with only a sharp point (without a blade) makes it pretty useless for anything beyond thrusts. In other words, the express purpose for the lack of spears is the lack of usefulness in a wider range of attacks and moves.

Yes, you could swing it around in various ways, or treat it like a bo, but then it would just be a bo with a pointy end. It wouldn't really elicit a new weapon type.

"The spear has been used throughout human history both as a hunting and fishing tool and as a weapon. Along with the axe, knife, and club it is one of the earliest and most important tools developed by early humans. As a weapon, it may be wielded with either one hand or two. It was used in virtually every conflict up until the modern era and is probably the most commonly used weapon in history."

I'm not going to debate the tactical merits of a spear, as I've already done so at various points throughout this thread. I'll just let the above quote speak for itself.

Edited by Snowman486

A fair point, and I'm certain they'll get to it eventually, but the spear is a pretty important weapon, and I just feel like they've got their order a little mixed up.

Depends on the halberd/polearm, both historically and in warframe.

"The spear has been used throughout human history both as a hunting and fishing tool and as a weapon. Along with the axe, knife, and club it is one of the earliest and most important tools developed by early humans. As a weapon, it may be wielded with either one hand or two. It was used in virtually every conflict up until the modern era and is probably the most commonly used weapon in history."

I'm not going to debate the tactical merits of a spear, as I've already done so at various points throughout this thread. I'll just let the above quote speak for itself.

Yes, along with its cousin the lance which was used on calvary even longer into the industrial revolution. Both are still standards of ceremonial units in many countries armies. The efficacy of spears and lances is incredible, and the lack of maneuvers is both the strength and weakness in game terms. 90% of primary attacks are thrusts. That can be seen as boring, but it works and its works well. Thats why it has been so popular over centuries, no millennia.

Adding a spear to the sword and board class would be incredible. I don't remember if Seventh Storm stance has any thrust, but a new stance most definitely should. The only thing better than a spear, is a shield and spear. True, that combo works best in phalanx, and that is not style of play in Warframe, the combo is still incredibly effective.

Only reason I can think of as to why no spear yet(and why so many slash melee weapons) despite slashing pole arms already included is animation flair. Slashing is so fluid because it's essentially omnidirectional but thrusting only really goes one way--forward. Notice how the main puncture weapons are daggers with stances that still swing like slashing blades.

As much as I love spears I must admit that a weapon that exclusively thrusts would handle pretty rigid and bland in wf. Just think of fencing with rapiers or jousting vs our current over-the-top stances.