Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Would You Change In Warframe To Reduce The Grind, Repetitive, And Abusive Mechanics In The Game?

Cloud

Generally rework the void to handle larger amounts of items so none had to be removed. Specifically off the top of my head;

Condense forma drops in the void. Have it drop in less rotations/missions but be a stack of some amount of multiples x2 x3 x5 or whatever maybe even a few fully built ones.

Create a few more void mission types to hold parts like a spy style one with a big movement/speed focused room at the end for example.

Let parts (and other cool stuff) show up in alerts rarely or maybe specific sets are associated with alerts and have alerts be more frequent. Maybe also high level invasions could reward a part. Keep people moving around the chart with incentives rather than sitting on "The rare core level, The credit level, The NSensor level, The xp/t4 endless key level" etc.

I'd spread a few prime parts out into stuff like Derelict sabotage which seems to reward nothing of consequence. Keep the prime part drops per mission/rotation fairly low across all missions. Around 3 or 4 so it's in line with the boss drops for regular frame parts and not just a big laundry list of junk with one thing you want that never drops. 

Mechanically I'd take a look at energy efficiency. I like to have my powers available for use at any time, otherwise I just kinda sit on them waiting for the right moment but end up never pulling the trigger, but I think the levels of efficiency you can reach now are a bit high. Not really sure what can be done about it though. 

Off the top of my head i would do the following to minimize grind farms:

-Increase to XP in exterminate missions.

-3x more loot from enemies in exterminate missions. 

-Lower XP in excavation and intercept.

-Reduce RNG dilution and add more favorable rewards to rotations.

-Buff credit alert reward credits by 10x

-Buff resource alert reward resources by 10x

-Add a fixed amount of end reward credits for all star chart missions. Up to 25k credits for hard difficulty missions.

what i mean by "reducing grind" is not only to remove grindwalls or make easy the achievement of things, what i mean is also to point out new mechanics or solutions that would make warframe a more challenging and fun game, in this way if people have more fun while playing , they will not experience heaviness in the repetition or boredom.

Ive been trying to think of new mechanics but so far i thought of one and its to make the raids more challenging and unique. Ex: the current raid has only 4 challenges in it before you actually get to fight hek (injectors-button puzzle-hijack-ignite thrusters to burn hek). What im thinking is that instead of those same challenges in the same order each run it could randomize used challenges from a set of pre-made challenges.

For instance lets just say during the raid development DE have had 20 different idea for challenges to be put in the raid. If all those ideas are fleshed out enough they could all be used for the raid but stored on a "list" so to speak. Each time a group attempts a raid the tile generation would randomly select 4 different challenges from the "list" to be used. Meaning each raid attempt would different from the last.

Further more, the "list" could also be broken into sub groups based on what the central theme for each challenge is. that way the order the selected challenges appear in would actually make sense. (meaning we wouldn't end up doing something like the thrusters challenge first thing in the raid and end up still fighting the boss later). The boss would always be the last bit of course

I havent thought of anything else yet. but when i do ill get back to you.

Edited by Poeltergiest

I wouldn't.  The grind is what keeps players coming back.  If you make it so everything is easily attainable there's no point in sinking more  time into the game or coming back to earn new rewards.  If everything you want you can get too easily there's no reason to set goals or trying to get rare mods or whatever, since everything is to trivial to get.  That's the way I see it.

I agree with this in large part. I really think they key for Warframe will be making the focus about making the game enjoyable. As it is right now, I'd say 80% of players have no purpose; they grind items to get better grinding tools without ever actually enjoying any of it. I play for fun, but then again, lately, I've rarely played Warframe at all. I'd rather play a game that has me going back for the smiles, than for baiting me with ultimately valueless digital items.

I think some people are severely underestimating the amount of work that new content requires, and how quickly players go through it. 

It's grind (plus updates and content when they can, at a reasonable pace with the team they've got) or no game.

More raids. I don't care to grind. But i want a place to use what i have.

this is whats buring me out more than anything at the moment.

ive gotten to a point where the only place to use my formaed, modded items is in content that i feel far outclassed for.  Trials are cool, but its focus on puzzles basically mean you dont really need any equipment to complete. You can easily go through a trial killing less than 10 enemies.

What would you change in Warframe to reduce the grind, repetitive, and abusive  mechanics in the game?

1.) Grind:

* Mods. Fusion cores need to be made available in more places, or even redo the entire concept of mod fusion so that you can rank up mods through combat instead of only through cores.

* Mastery ranks should allow faster progression with skillful play, completing weapon/frame-specific challenges to unlock their mastery potential faster.

* Farming for specific prime parts isn't going to change, sorry guys. DE needs to stay in business, and Prime Access is a thing.

2.) Repetition:

* Disperse meaningful rewards across more types of missions.  Why are there no prime-equivalent gear that you have to play Phobos or Jupiter for?

* Add more kinds of mutators (fire, frost, nightmare mods being current mutators) to missions for more diverse challenges.

* Improve capacity for missions to change type/objective mid stream. You can show up at a Capture and have it turn into an Exterminate, but why can't you show up at a Defense and have it turn into Spy?

3.) Abusive mechanics:

* Player abilities that do damage should require interactivity from the player to function. Example of bad design: Miasma. Example of good design: Antimatter Drop

* Permanent invisibility gameplay should cause the enemy to simply lock down the map once alerted, and continue to lock it down aggressively until they find the player

Edited by Momaw

I would change nothing when it comes to the grind in the game because it's fine the way it is in my opinion.

I come from games where it could take you months to get decent gear or a year or more to reach max level because there was so much grind to get there you couldn't play for hours everyday because it got too boring hitting the exact same enemy over and over. You would maybe get 10-20% of exp everyday and then it decreased to 5% when you were a few levels away from max level. You wouldn't even get 5% unless you were able to grind for hours nonstop. So hearing people say that warframe is too grindy is funny, you really know nothing about true grind. In just a month I was able to achieve every single primed warframe and more than enough weapons. The grind in this game is at a normal pace, everything is easily achievable and it wont take you even one month to achieve that one item you specifically want much like other games out there. Best of all is you don't have to spend a single dime on the game to achieve these things, heck you can even sell things you've farmed to get platinum.

The games core idea is basically to farm/grind to get things and removing that would make it into an entirely different game and if that is what you want maybe you shouldn't be playing at all.

As for repetition I can't speak much on that matter but I agree that they need to improve it.

Edited by Leoncor

As for repetition

We need interactive environment aspects and more randomized encounters

We need actual consequences or more ways to fail

There will always be those figuring out the most efficient way to do something

Certain exploitable tactics will always exist. They could add synergy cooldown or increased costs

Like using ev while mesa is mid ult should cost more or do less

Bad example but still an example

You know what, the grind is great for newer players. When you first start the game, you are overwhelmed by the amount of content and possibilities the game offers you up front. You start everyday with the idea of getting better, getting more loot, and filling out your inventory. Each time you get a new weapon or frame, it is exciting as you rush towards your next mission to try it out. You start to hear about different mods that are obtainable later on and see mastery rank 15 players in your squad with flashy gear and one shotting all that stands in their way. You find out about the void and try it out for the first time with saprkles in your eyes. In the end screen, you get this one part for this one weapon you haven't heard of before and make it your next goal to get all the part and build that thing.

Then one day you wake up after playing several months straight of Warframe. It is Wednesday and a new update with a few new weapons come out. You look at your play time and it is around 400 hours. You log in and buy up those blueprints then build them in your foundry, and decide to do a couple of void runs while you wait. Each run turns up fruitless like the other several runs you did before. You decide to stop playing for the day. And the next. and the next. and the next. 

You see, the grind can only hold players for so long before they start losing interest in the game. I feel that instead of reducing grind, DE has to change the whole game near the end that does not include grind at all. It has to be something that holds the same interest as starting the game does. Make the game be about something new everyday instead of doing something old for the rest of your life. 

Then one day you wake up after playing several months straight of Warframe. It is Wednesday and a new update with a few new weapons come out. You look at your play time and it is around 400 hours. You log in and buy up those blueprints then build them in your foundry, and decide to do a couple of void runs while you wait. Each run turns up fruitless like the other several runs you did before. You decide to stop playing for the day. And the next. and the next. and the next. 

Then you leave and come back in a few weeks, or a month, or a few months.  And that's ok.  Why shouldn't it be ok?

Once again, this isn't a "proper" MMO, and it doesn't have PvP (either in the strict sense or in the general sense of being based around competition) - two reasons why one can't expect it to be any more than a game you keep on your hard drive and play obsessively for a few weeks every now and then. 

There isn't enough content for a "theme park", there isn't enough "sand" for a sandbox, and there isn't enough PvP to have enemies to fight who are endlessly tricksy. 

It's a helluva good but grindy PvE game, that's all.  Maybe DE will expand the game to have humungously more content (doubtful because of size of team), more "sand" (doubtful because it's not fundamentally designed as a sandbox game), or more PvP or just more competitive scenarios (possible, and probably the most viable thing for the longevity of the game if they can sort it out).

Or: they can have more things to grind so that returning players always have something new to grind for.  That's probably the most likely outcome.  And again, why wouldn't that be ok?

Edited by Omnimorph

Rework void drop table

non-endless T1 now has a 50% chance for prime part, while the other 50% has a chance for other t1 keys, t2 keys, forma bp.

Non-endless t2 has a 65% chance of prime part, while 35% of forma bp, t3/t4 key.

Non endless t3/t4 has a 80% chance of prime part, 20% 5x R5 fusion core.

-------

Endless mission will see rotation of AABCABCBCBCBC where as you progress for longer, the respective rotation gains a higher drop chance.

E.g. round 3 (rotation b) feature drop chance of 50% from b table, while 50% from a table. Round 10 (rotation b) feature 80% chance from b table, 20% from A table.

T1 A-rotation will have mainly t1 keys of non endless type and forma, B-rotation has T2 keys, C-rotation feature prime part.

T2 A-rotation forma bp and prime part,b-rotation T3/t4 keys and prime part, c-rotation are prime part only.

T3/T4 only feature prime parts and fusion cores.

--------

Rework uranis interception archwing. No longer gives void keys, and some parts are moved to rotation b.

New archwing mode (if i could) with rescue. You share you LS with rescue target, which lowers your shield.

-------

For non void endless mission:

Following same pattern as void rotation AABCABCBCBC

Where A is norm mods and fusion core, B has rarer cores, c has void keys.

Edited by 321agemo

Then you leave and come back in a few weeks, or a month, or a few months.  And that's ok.  Why shouldn't it be ok?

Once again, this isn't a "proper" MMO, and it doesn't have PvP (either in the strict sense or in the general sense of being based around competition) - two reasons why one can't expect it to be any more than a game you keep on your hard drive and play obsessively for a few weeks every now and then. 

There isn't enough content for a "theme park", there isn't enough "sand" for a sandbox, and there isn't enough PvP to have enemies to fight who are endlessly tricksy. 

It's a helluva good but grindy PvE game, that's all.  Maybe DE will expand the game to have humungously more content (doubtful because of size of team), more "sand" (doubtful because it's not fundamentally designed as a sandbox game), or more PvP or just more competitive scenarios (possible, and probably the most viable thing for the longevity of the game if they can sort it out).

Or: they can have more things to grind so that returning players always have something new to grind for.  That's probably the most likely outcome.  And again, why wouldn't that be ok?

you're right. We all get to a point where we've practically "beat" the game. 

I think im getting to that point, but i dont fault the game or the devs for it. Its the exact same game i played and enjoyed immensely for 1000hrs. There is nothing "wrong" with a game that keeps you occupied for that long.

still, i have hope that the star chart rework injects some life into the game for vets. I hope they can somehow figure out a way to make us enjoy the game for its gameplay and challenge and not just the rewards.

Planetside 2 is a game that had the perfect transition for me. It starts with a grind. You play for hours on end grinding xp to buy upgrades for your class. Then eventually you're at a point where youve maxed out your character, got every weapon you really want and seen everything there is to see. The grind is over. After the grind, what kept me engaged was the game itself. No longer did i care about XP, no longer did i feel compelled to conquer one more base to earn another upgrade- i played because the game was fun. I played to enjoy the gameplay, tactics and strategy. - biggest difference is Ps2 is a PvP game- so there's that. Its not a 1v1 PvP game though, so i wonder if a dynamic changing map against inteligent A.I. would still be engaging? What if WF could make the other factions feel like they are ACTIVELY trying to take over the solar system or accomplish an objective? What if they made it us vs them (the devs)- maybe then gameplay could be a pure motivation for vets.

RNG to the RNG to the grind is my problem

Stuff like one uncommon fusion core or one orokin cell as a reward in t1s is also pretty dumb.

so...

drop tables.

maybe being able to choose which key you get, instead of grinding 20 waves to get a key you don't need, like 5-6 times, then you finally get the t4sabotage, then you go to t4sab, and you don't get the reward you want. lol

Edited by Volume

The grind in this game is fine. The only problem is that the Grind is the ONLY thing in this game. 

DE needs to build around the grind, so far the only thing they've done is build more things to grind WITH, granted they've done a pretty good job at it, but they need to flesh out the game in other ways so that the grind isn't the only thing we have to do. 

In my opinion, there are two main ways to do such a thing

Rewards, or Story 

Grinding is all fine and dandy if you can take the things you've spent so long grinding for and.. well DO something with them. In the Liset, give players a trophy case. Make a bunch of difficult raids, ect. whatever, and let the grind continue, but the grind now has a purpose. Therefore people have a direction to grind towards instead of arbitrarily hunting for every shiny thing they want in their arsenal.

As far as Story goes, make people WANT to be the Tenno, whatever they are, make people want to come back to uncover the dark and twisted, and very convoluted past that the Orokin Empire has, or make people want to fight for the future, and establish the Tenno as peacekeepers, or warlords, rebel against the Lotus, ect. Make people care about the Warframe Universe. 

Most if not all games that have a long life-span fall under one of these two categories, and in my experience the best games weave them both together.