Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Headset For Simultaneous Xb1 & Pc Chat

[DE]Glen

I'm looking for a technical solution so that I can use a single headset for in-game chat on Xbox one and simultaneously feed my PC where it can be used by RaidCall and Open Broadcaster.

I use a capture card on my PC so that I can mix the RaidCall discussion audio over top of the action on the screen from the Xbox One; the only downside of this setup is I can't also talk with my squad.

Saske92 suggested that some streamers might use Astro headsets to accomplish this by using the USB port to the PC which might work in parallel with the headset to XB1 connection made with the analogue CTIA jack?

Has anyone here had any experience with these? I'm not sure what I'd need.

http://www.astrogaming.ca/mixamps

those sound like acceptable solutions, having audio from both being glomped together into your ears as well as in the recording...

and do the same for the Microphone, just having a Switch to switch to the XB1 Chat when you want to talk to them, otherwise leaving it on the PC side. that way the Microphone is isolated to which side you want to talk to at any given time, i suppose?

unless some sort of extra modules and mixer hardware will let you do this more 'elegantly', i wouldn't know.

those sound like acceptable solutions, having audio from both being glomped together into your ears as well as in the recording...

and do the same for the Microphone, just having a Switch to switch to the XB1 Chat when you want to talk to them, otherwise leaving it on the PC side. that way the Microphone is isolated to which side you want to talk to at any given time, i suppose?

unless some sort of extra modules and mixer hardware will let you do this more 'elegantly', i wouldn't know.

It looks like the Astro headsets would give you the ability to switch off the xb1 mic side -- I'd just love to find someone with experience with them before I fork out that much cash.

I've got an Astro A30, an A40 and a mixamp. In my experience the USB input will override the others.

They also don't have very good customer support but maybe as a dev you'll get better treatment XD

I'll try the dual two-way setup tomorrow just to make sure.

As stated above, a splitter would most likely work best. With the new xbox one controller having an input and/or output slot for a headset it might be easy to setup that way. Though I personally don't know whether that thing is input, output or both. Not that it matters much since that thing hasn't even released yet as far as I know.

Hmmmm, Glen, I hope you don't mind if I keep an eye on this conversation because I've been wondering the same thing, I sometimes want to stream using my PC, but I have to pick between Xbox One and PC voice chat, unless I use Skype.

I thought about using the spliter like was suggested in one of the posts above, but haven't really gone that far.

The Astro A50 has a normal 3,5mm audio jack on the backside of the little wireless transmitter (Mixamp Tx) for audio input.

Using this input can result in a very low humming sound heard when headset is quiet(aka nothing else plays).

It can also be heard when headset is at max volume, but if you play with max volume with these puppies you might want to invest in some hearing aid first. (so "max" ingame and skype/ts/raidcall/whatever first and you cant hear it) 

a3d1408c_o.png

Image taken from the manual found here: https://astro-media.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/2014/A50_XB1_Manual.pdf

The xbox chat is a seperate connection on the headset itsself.

(i dont own an Xbox 1 to test anything)

EDIT: forgot to mention, using the aux in the audio comes along side everything else and does not override anything. 

EDIT2: the humming might also be from my low quality aux cables i have

Edited by Adaptor-Face

The Astro A50 has a normal 3,5mm audio jack on the backside of the little wireless transmitter (Mixamp Tx) for audio input.

Using this input can result in a very low humming sound heard when headset is quiet(aka nothing else plays).

It can also be heard when headset is at max volume, but if you play with max volume with these puppies you might want to invest in some hearing aid first. (so "max" ingame and skype/ts/raidcall/whatever first and you cant hear it) 

a3d1408c_o.png

Image taken from the manual found here: https://astro-media.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/2014/A50_XB1_Manual.pdf

The xbox chat is a seperate connection on the headset itsself.

(i dont own an Xbox 1 to test anything)

EDIT: forgot to mention, using the aux in the audio comes along side everything else and does not override anything. 

EDIT2: the humming might also be from my low quality aux cables i have

I may have to look into this.

Best solution would be to wait for the release of Windows 10. You can stream your Xbox ONE games to your PC and play them from there without the need for a capture card. This will also allow you to use your PC for what you need. You will be able to do both on PC because one sound card and one headset will be used.

Using an Astro A40 or A50 is an interim solution but best done with Windows 10 to prevent even the slightest humming noises (Which some people face) or the hassle of setting up Astro A50 Mixamp to pull out the optical audio from your console but I can vouch that I have never faced any such problems so far.

All you need is the headset, a mini USB cable to power up Mixamp which connects to your computer and an optical cable that connect to your Xbox ONE obviously. It's really simple to set up. I use an Astro A50. 

A completely alternate solution is simply adding an additional microphone either to your preferred headset or elsewhere in the vicinity of your PC. Such as the Modmic http://www.modmic.com/ While not entirely a cost effective design, it is well within a similar Astro gaming range and you can just slap it on top of your other mic boom. Or just attach as needed.

I have an A40 and Mixamp, but I don't have an XB1 or any console within range of my PC to test both at the same time. Not really sure how well the mixamp can handle double inputs, as it operates on USB power, and being two different sources.

That A50 looks pretty sweet! None of my usual computer stores have Astro gear though -- I'm reluctant to make a huge purchase like that without easy return policy :|

Honestly it's a lot of money for something that isn't all that amazing. The Mixamp is a great idea, especially the M80 that directly attaches to a controller, but the audio quality of the headset (and technically the DAC in the Mixamp) just isn't quite there compared to other headsets from brands like Sennheiser and Audio Technica in the a similar price bracket.

That A50 looks pretty sweet! None of my usual computer stores have Astro gear though -- I'm reluctant to make a huge purchase like that without easy return policy :|

My suggestion is to use an Xbox One ELITE controller. From what i heard you can plug in most basic headsets into it without the need to connect it to the console. Apparently it comes with a 3.5mm jack so it should work with most headsets.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller

or wait for windows 10, its only a month away

Edited by Eureka.seveN