Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

We DO need this sound back!

It's not only Hek, a lot of sound effects are very weird after U17.5.

Most rifles killing shot sound uses a crappy "POOZZ" effect.

It is just like a BB gun hitting through a paper.

And melee kill/dismember sounds like "crashing a watermelon with a plastic stick".

It's far from satisfying, it's very weak and weird.

As most of you already know, over the past year or so we have been auditing old weapon sounds with the intention of bringing them in-line with our current engine tech.  This means that most old weapons (pre 2013) were not sounding consistent with new weapons that we are currently making.  This includes the reverb characteristics (how the gun sounds in different environments), volume balancing (so each weapon is in line with others), and variations in the sound (so it doesn't sound like 1 sample being played over and over again with each shot).

PLEASE DON'T RUIN THE KRAKEN SOUND IT'S MY FAVORITE PISTOL AND IT STILL SOUNDS GREAT :( 

I compeltly understand what you guys are trying to do, update the sounds to match the new updated game, but you guys just don't get it, alot of people "feel" weapons, they percieve them by feedback they get when using the weapon. since the guns in the game are an extension of the players physical hands, you expect a specific kind of feedback when you pull the trigger. Having a big, beefed up looking shotgun and it not only hardly has any kick anymore when you shoot, but it sounds like a baby pellet shooter, which dosn't match the damage output of the weapon. 

Look, i'm not very optimistic with DE's sound team, i still remember when you guys ruined the gorgon for me when you changed the sound from a rattling chain sound to a nerf gun sound, and then altered it again to make it a cross between these. Using the original gorgon back then was amazing, it sounded powerful and it sounded clanky like a grineer gun should, but now it's just mediocre. 

sigh, why do i even bother, its not like you guys are going to change the sounds of all these weapons but i mean, why can't you increase the quality of the gun sounds without actually changing the sounds? if you need higher bitrate sound files, then just re-make it at higher quality :( 

ayyyy that's my old vid

Edited by Darthmufin

My guess is that it's not a matter of reexporting the sounds at a new bit rate or whatever.  It has to do with making it "compatible" with the dynamic reverb.  And by that I mean sounds with the reverb already baked in, such as the former glorious Hek sound, don't mesh as well when the game now adds reverb to a sound that already has it.

What makes the old Hek firing noise so great was that it sounded loud not so much that it was loud.   By that I mean your ears and brain react a certain way to louder sounds, for example,  we pay more attention to the average loudness of a sound, not its peak volume and our ears tend to compress the extreme peaks which gives a certain shape to the sound as we perceive it.   The old Hek sound clearly had the right shape to the volume curve to give that punch.  (exaggerated transient/attack part of the sound)

Plus we are more sensitive to the highs and lows compared to mids with loud sounds.   A 'smile eq curve' is the sound of loudness, the 'frown curve' is the sound of quietness because our ears are less sensitive to highs and lows at low volumes. 

Also, we expect to hear a loud sound resonating within a space.  That resonance is many short echoes all blurring together to create reverb, the OOOOM of KABOOM.  With the original Hek sound they put in a lot of bass, tailored eq and volume envelop to mimic a big loud sound then added a reverb to make it sound like an echoing great big KABOOOM in a giant canyon or parking garage or something.  

Now, for some reason, they've replaced all of that greatness with a fizzy noise and a bass boost with no resonance of its own.  Leaving the boom to come from the dynamic reverb of the game apparently and well,  it isn't' even close to what we had.

I say reverse this change and don't worry about the reverb on reverb issue.  It never hurt Phil Spector or Jesus and Mary Chain.  (sorry for the old music references, most modern recordings use little, to no reverb so it's hard to reference them in this context).

Edited by Don_T_Shoot

I loved old KRAKEN, BRATON, SICARUS, BOLTOR and HEK sound.

But I don't like revamped sound of these weapon.

Revamped sound reduced its onset and high frequency.

Editing onset cause a vague sound.

Now I hear three peaks in the new HEK sound.

It's so weird sound of gunfire.

Above five weapon have had charactaristic high-pitched sound, but that no longer exist.

I think above two reductions cause cheap and weak sound.

I like BOLTO and AKBOLTO sound, so please don't nerf DE!!

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

I've been doing that for the past few days. While there are some tilesets where it doesn't sound so bad (like the simulacrum for some reason), on most it still has a horrible clipped sound. It's like the sound was made of 2 parts: the boom, and some weird mechanical sound. The latter part sounds absolutely awful in most places. It crackles and hisses, like it's been brickwalled and beyond.

First i thought, which gun is that because it sounded so weird. After the Mission i saw he was using the Hek.

Another gun, which sounds worse after they reworked the sound. Prisma Grakata anyone?

So why the Hek you thought again, this is a "better" sound?

Maybe I´m just playing too long now, because i don´t get some things they´ve done the last months now.

Edited by Thelematiker

I play PC version Warframe.

... after update 17.5.1 ...

is this realy "Shotgun" shooting sound ?

like cheap air gun sound.

please, go back to previous HEK shotgun sound...(i hope so...)

I play PC version Warframe.

... after update 17.5.1 ...

is this realy "Shotgun" shooting sound ?

like cheap air gun sound.

please, go back to previous HEK shotgun sound...(i hope so...)

They did it with my braton vandal too. trust me they will not change it back because they think this is "MAKING IT MORE IN LINE WITH OTHER SHOTGUNS" the HECK with sound variety they say!

Thanks everybody for your feedback, it's great to know that you guys and gals care as much as you do (and we do!) about the sounds in Warframe.

As most of you already know, over the past year or so we have been auditing old weapon sounds with the intention of bringing them in-line with our current engine tech.  This means that most old weapons (pre 2013) were not sounding consistent with new weapons that we are currently making.  This includes the reverb characteristics (how the gun sounds in different environments), volume balancing (so each weapon is in line with others), and variations in the sound (so it doesn't sound like 1 sample being played over and over again with each shot).

So this brings us to the Hek.  

We knew that the community really liked the sound of this gun when we started to revamp it.  So that is why the "revamped" sound is very similar to the old sound, but now it has all the benefits of other, newer weapons as well (the benefits I mentioned above, in the second paragraph).  We actually are calling it "revamped", instead of "new", because the revamped version was made from the components of the original version (as opposed to starting over).

We never go into improving old sounds in the game with the idea of changing their fundamental characteristics... if we are going to improve on something we don't release it unless we are 100% happy with it.  The sound team truly believes the revised sound of the Hek is an improvement over the old one, while still maintaining the original's feel.

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

Thanks again for your comments, good and bad.  We truly appreciate your passion for the game and for the sound design.

The old sound used to invoke the "kick" of a weapon, you guys just muffled the sound of the guns and toned down the sharpness of the bangs to make it sound like some slob of meat being wacked around now. If you guys really are interested in making improvements then I urge you to consider making sure that everytime we fire a gun, we feel satisfaction from doing it. Braton vandal gave me that satisfaction before you guys screwed it over. I actually felt like the recoil was there in the braton vandal. Hek in this case lost its recoil and sense of power as a result of you guys reducing the sharpness of its bang. The old sound of Hek captured an almost whiplash sensation that told you each shell was going to hurt.

I loved old KRAKEN, BRATON, SICARUS, BOLTOR and HEK sound.

You forgot the gorgon. used to sound like a chaingun. 

anyways, Kraken sound hasn't changed, has it? if it has, it hasn't changed much in the past year, because i use it all the time, its my favorite secondary. 

Looks like DE_George just bailed and left us hanging without a comment, classy, thanks for ruining the 2 weapons. 

Tis a common occurrence, sadly I've lost any small amount of respect I had for DE as a whole. I'm sure they're great people with some vision, but they continue to just add more stuff or change things no-one had a problem with. On top of that, they seem to continually ignore addressing/fixing core issues of the game, which would benefit them greatly if they bothered to do something about them.

Looks like DE_George just bailed and left us hanging without a comment, classy, thanks for ruining the 2 weapons. 

It was an attempt to appease us. There's no way they'll change it back. Now that that attempt has been completed (successfully or not) there's no reason for DE to bother with this thread anymore.

What's done is done. Keep using your wet nappy launcher, or don't. They don't have anything to gain by staying in the discussion.

Tis a common occurrence, sadly I've lost any small amount of respect I had for DE as a whole. I'm sure they're great people with some vision, but they continue to just add more stuff or change things no-one had a problem with. On top of that, they seem to continually ignore addressing/fixing core issues of the game, which would benefit them greatly if they bothered to do something about them.

after 3 years, they finally made headshot sounds play for clients, but in the process they gave all enemies the exact same headshot kill sound, a sound that only works for infested. grineer and corpus aren't rotting, so a headshot kill sound should have a "crunch" to it, but no DE decides to give all enemies the exact same headshot kill sound. 

not to mention that when they did their corpus sound poll, they gave all corpus humanoids the same freaking sound, even though techs are bigger and should have a different sound, like the infested poll where people aptly pointed out that the ancients should have different sounds. no such bright minds on the corpus sound poll though unfortunately, and now we are stuck with giant corpus that sound exactly the same. 

plus, headshot kill sounds don't always seem to play for clients, and on loud weapons like the vasto prime, the sounds don't even play at all (even though it is loud, i still should hear the headshot sound a little, but i don't). 

Sound is one of those areas that DE does not do well on at all imo. i know for a fact they will ruin the kraken sound soon enough and ruin my favorite pistol (yes, changing the sound will ruin the experience just like changing the hek to a BB gun ruins that for me), so i'm just using it as much as i can before that happens. Because we all know DE isn't going to simply make higher quality versions of the classic sounds, and instead make brand new sounds without updating the weapon look to match the new sound. The hek should have no recoil and look much smaller to match the new sound. 

It was an attempt to appease us. There's no way they'll change it back. Now that that attempt has been completed (successfully or not) there's no reason for DE to bother with this thread anymore.

Ditto for the UI changes - both in-game and the "menu". In each case, the old system was replaced with something which has less functionality and is much more cumbersome. There's a trend here.

I've been testing the Hek, and I think I'm on to something: (I apologize ahead of time for not using proper audio terminology)

Suffice it to say that it's the pellets that have been given too much of the sound. The gun itself has no reverb effect off walls.

My test:

Stand next to a wall at melee range, and fire the Hek into the wall. Bam! Good sound, good echo, hearty feel.

Stand next to a wall, but fire at a distant object/wall. Less sound, no echo, no feel.

The same goes when firing at an enemy. The *feel* of a hit is there, and is great, but the shotgun itself is not echoing, and has lost it's feel. If someone else can piece together what I'm trying to say with more appropriate lingo, or make a short demo video, we might be able to show the devs what we're missing here.

Am still grumpy about this. 

Archistopheles, interesting observation.  I will try that out.  Of course, where the pellets are going should have no affect on the sound, but still interesting.

As far as shotgun sounds in general, I'd say the old Hek is what a real 12gauge seems like when you foolishly forget to put your hearing protection back on.  Total idiot move.  It was like getting kicked in the head from every direction at once.  I sure wish the Hek sounded like that again though.