Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hek Shooting Sound

Anneliese.Clausewitz

Holy mother!!! Haven't used the Hek since the sound change and DAMN it sounds good!!! I truly TRULY love the new sound, and the other new sounds too. I love music and sound effects in games and I really appreciate that you're always looking for ways to improve it.

Keep up the good work George, and send my regards to the whole sound team.
Have a nice weekend!

this sound sounds like some sort of Cannon - but i don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

this sound would go really, truly great with an Alternate Skin for Hek that is basically a Carbon Copy of the Hek that Vay Hek has nowadays.

;)

I don't have any problems with the sound team reworking gun-sounds, just PLEASE make us able to choose between sounds. Getting an opportunity to customize our weapons even further than looks would be an awesome addition to the game!

That's a good idea to solve this problem, probably requires some effort in programming but definitely the best solution for the players.

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

So we shall complain again in a couple of weeks just to give the new sound a chance although it sounds less awesome to so many people?

I think nobody will bring up that effort just for this little chance the original sound will ever come back.

The new sound really isn't that bad like many people say but it just isn't as awesome as the original one.

Please, don't try to accustom the players to the new sound by giving it time and don't wait too long to bring back it's original sound or let the players choose the gunsound themselves.

The biggest gripe I have with current Vaykor Hek sound is how it sounds kinda distorted at the end.

And that's pretty much it.

No that's not it. The new one just sounds less powerful thus less awesome, that's it.

Edited by Poeps

Thanks everybody for your feedback, it's great to know that you guys and gals care as much as you do (and we do!) about the sounds in Warframe.

As most of you already know, over the past year or so we have been auditing old weapon sounds with the intention of bringing them in-line with our current engine tech.  This means that most old weapons (pre 2013) were not sounding consistent with new weapons that we are currently making.  This includes the reverb characteristics (how the gun sounds in different environments), volume balancing (so each weapon is in line with others), and variations in the sound (so it doesn't sound like 1 sample being played over and over again with each shot).

So this brings us to the Hek.  

We knew that the community really liked the sound of this gun when we started to revamp it.  So that is why the "revamped" sound is very similar to the old sound, but now it has all the benefits of other, newer weapons as well (the benefits I mentioned above, in the second paragraph).  We actually are calling it "revamped", instead of "new", because the revamped version was made from the components of the original version (as opposed to starting over).

We never go into improving old sounds in the game with the idea of changing their fundamental characteristics... if we are going to improve on something we don't release it unless we are 100% happy with it.  The sound team truly believes the revised sound of the Hek is an improvement over the old one, while still maintaining the original's feel.

Please give it a chance.  Play in different tilesets, against different AI, and try to maintain an objective point of view over a couple of weeks.  We truly believe the change was for the better.  All we ask is for you to give it a try for a while.

Thanks again for your comments, good and bad.  We truly appreciate your passion for the game and for the sound design.

Dear George,

I've been using the Vaykor Hek as my main for a long time and i have still been using it after the sound change.

I have to say that I vastly prefer the old sound of the hek and vaykor hek. And the numerous threads are a testament to the players that have used the hek long enough to make an immediate and impassioned plea for you to revert the change.

We can tell the difference between the old and new sound. The current sound is extremely weak and soft compared to the magical boom of the previous sound.

Please change it back. It is extremely distressing to have the voice of my favourite weapon neutered and makes me want to go back to the Boltor prime again.

There was nothing wrong with the sound of the hek in the first place.

Thank you.

The sound team truly believes the revised sound of the Hek is an improvement over the old one, while still maintaining the original's feel.

I knee-jerked with the rest of the community, but I'm slowly starting to appreciate it more and more. It definitely sounds more detailed, but there is something not quite... exact. I'll try to pin point what I'm hearing over the next week or so.

I never argue with the game developers everything they do is right and they know their job....The Hek sound was really great back then and it is now.

But come on DE,Hek is 4 small pump shotguns combined into one shotgun(4 Cannons)they fire a great amount of bullets which i don't think should be this quiet,It was really nice when it was loud because i could understand,Now it sound like i hit two plastic buckets into each other,Don't get me wrong i really liked what you did with the Hek but make it right and it should at least make sense 

After playing with the hek for a day or two I've gotten used to it at least, but we're just going to have to agree to disagree that the new sound is a proper representation of the old one.

Obviously just changing it back isn't the best course of action, since progress is progress, but for the sake of all grineer weaponry, these new reverb versions of classic sounds really need more umph. There's a range of sound that seems to get lost each time one of them gets updated, leading to a less satisfying experience each time.

After playing with it for the past few days, in various enviroments, my take on it is that while the new sound has much more detail, and isn't just a flat boom, it needs have a lower pitch. The new Hek sound is far too high pitch and doesn't resonate like the old sound even with increased bass headphones. I fail to see how this was even inspired by the original sound. 

I will say this-- the old Hek sound used to sound exactly the same between speakers and headphones.

The new SFX sounds airy and muddy on speakers, but rich and powerful on headphones. (Both my speakers & headphones were in the ballpark of $200, so they're not tin cans, but they're not ultra high-end either. I would think they can both pick up on all the details?)

This probably goes hand in hand with having more sophisticated technology, but just my impressions.

The Hek, being one of the older weapons in the game, needed some love.

However, not in the audio-department; the old sound was just fine.

What it needed was a graphical overhaul; the textures (on Vaykor Hek in particular) are not up to snuff in comparison to the newer Grineer weaponry - it looks like a nerf gun! Speaking of which it could also use a newer, updated model, too.

The Hek, being one of the older weapons in the game, needed some love.

However, not in the audio-department; the old sound was just fine.

What it needed was a graphical overhaul; the textures (on Vaykor Hek in particular) are not up to snuff in comparison to the newer Grineer weaponry - it looks like a nerf gun! Speaking of which it could also use a newer, updated model, too.

Well at least we know the reason for the sound change, and to be fair it is a more "complex" sound than the old boom.

But there was satisfaction in the old sound, there was impact when you fired the gun and saw it kick back on your screen. The new sound just needs to be that little bit louder so it doesn't feel like we're shooting a nerf gun at our enemies. I mean the Boltor still has its signature deep, powerful roar when it fires is that going to get upgraded to sound like we're firing wet noodles too? :/

I really like the new sound. The bass on headphones make it sound like you fire a fricking tank. Maybe in the future we get the option to choose the firing sound (DE mentioned it one time...). That way everyone would be pleased.

Edited by madhatter10

Seems like people with good headphones are getting much more from this change than those who can't afford gaming heads or plain simply find them uncomfortable. I read someone claiming his/her 200$ boom-boxes weren't doing the trick for new sound. That's hefty money out of first world market. Old Hek sounded good on anything. My over three years old laptop with no external sound devices? Sounded manly as Hek (cuz you can't compare Hek with anything but Hek (and its grudging rival Tigris)). So in conclusion...

Old Hek: people's Hek.

New Hek for the snobs.

Edited by Prany