Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Kind Of Auction House? [Megathread]

rudman88

Never, would, this, be, a, good, idea.

What would happen:

1. Market would crash

2. DE would lose hundreds-thousands of dollars of profit. DE steve himself said that Trade is one of their main sources of money from this game.

3. Horrible horrible monopolise would start. AKA Dark Sector Alliance monopolies 2.0. Hahaha you want that new mod? Well you better hope these 15 grinders will sell it to you for under 1.5k since their the only ones selling it right now. :D

4. RNG will have to be reworked because new prices mean that the DE needs to either make everything super expensive or make RNG EVEN WORSE. To the point of having a chance to get NO DROP in a void mission.

5. This won't fix the problem of scams it will only force people to pick the price that is put out for them. You can't negotiate you can't find a price that you like you have to deal with the price that your given even if you don't agree. 

6. DE will make prices now which means that they can either screw us or screw the market. Would you like to start having to sel all your 20p mods for 1p? Or have to buy those 20p mods for 100p?

I do like the idea of a Auction house for other games, but Warframe could not handle a auction house right now. Maybe MAYBE when RNG is reworked but until then it would RUIN the game.

Edited by Feallike

Spotted the guy who's never played Eve.

Well, eve economy is so screwed up at the moment. In the past couple of years the PLEX prices have increased by stupid amounts.

Plex there is like plat here, i started playing that game in 2007 and i could buy/sell 60day GTC's for 250-200m, now 30 day Plexes are 950m lol.

The convinience of an Auction House is really nice. The concept is simple:

WTS/WTB>_____ for ___ p will no longer be necessary in any chat tab, while WTT>___ for ___ would most likely be done in dojos.

BUT, with a big massive BUT

Here's the thing:

let me explain this simply and without prejudice since i am a new (1.5 week old) player.

The current situation:

1. People find it hard to find the "current" price of items

2. They make trading decisions based on 3rd party websites which are in line with many "WTS" prices

3. This creates an impression that this is the correct market price

4. They get disappointed when people low ball them with offers less than half their stated price or when they cant even get any offers on their items

The reality

5. There are more items in the market than there are plats

6. There is low market liquidity

7. There is imperfect information

The Holy Grail Proposal: Auction Houses will

8. Create a fair value of items

9. Make it easier to sell items

10. No more scams or underpriced selling

The Auction House reality:

11. Merchant Clans will form and attempt to manipulate prices

12. The real fair value of items will be very very scary. 95% of items will be worth 1p or less (in short only worth DuCat value) and supposedly sought after items like Ash P Systems will only drop by the day not rise.

13. People will spend more time auction sniping than playing the game

14. People will realize that since it is so easy and cheap to get items, there will be less incentive to farm

Conclusion:

Auction houses is the logical proposal but its not necessarily the correct one. Be smart. The current system is not perfect but there is no way to make a "better" alternative without sacrificing something. To get fair valued items, you need a liquid market. This means more players (new or otherwise) who buy plats. The state of the economy is pathetic. USD 200 gets you 4300 plats which can singlehandedly buy every frame and weapon with some spare change for mods on the market? I'm laughing really.

Edit: on people getting ripped off? Get a life. There was an offer, there was an acceptance. There was consideration. That is as much of a business contract (virtually) that you can get. If you didn't like the offer, or you didnt know what your item is worth, don't accept it. Who asked the seller to sell if he didn't like the price. You cant go to a pawnshop to sell your watch for $10 and scream "BLOODY SCAM!" when the pawnshop sells your stuff to the public at $50 now can you? So whats the problem when this is in game?

Never, would, this, be, a, good, idea.

What would happen:

1. Market would crash

2. DE would lose hundreds-thousands of dollars of profit. DE steve himself said that Trade is one of their main sources of money from this game.

3. Horrible horrible monopolise would start. AKA Dark Sector Alliance monopolies 2.0. Hahaha you want that new mod? Well you better hope these 15 grinders will sell it to you for under 1.5k since their the only ones selling it right now. :D

4. RNG will have to be reworked because new prices mean that the DE needs to either make everything super expensive or make RNG EVEN WORSE. To the point of having a chance to get NO DROP in a void mission.

5. This won't fix the problem of scams it will only force people to pick the price that is put out for them. You can't negotiate you can't find a price that you like you have to deal with the price that your given even if you don't agree. 

6. DE will make prices now which means that they can either screw us or screw the market. Would you like to start having to sel all your 20p mods for 1p? Or have to buy those 20p mods for 100p?

I do like the idea of a Auction house for other games, but Warframe could not handle a auction house right now. Maybe MAYBE when RNG is reworked but until then it would RUIN the game.

If cosmetics can cost more than triple A games (COSMETICS FOR FUCKSAKES IN THE VIRTUAL WORLD), imagine how close in-game items can cost up to.

The convinience of an Auction House is really nice. The concept is simple:

WTS/WTB>_____ for ___ p will no longer be necessary in any chat tab, while WTT>___ for ___ would most likely be done in dojos.

BUT, with a big massive BUT

Here's the thing:

If cosmetics can cost more than triple A games (COSMETICS FOR FUCKSAKES IN THE VIRTUAL WORLD), imagine how close in-game items can cost up to.

Special cosmetics, lets not leave that out. PA accessories can only be bought with real money and they can't be traded.

In-game items cost way less because they are farmable, all it takes is patience and luck.

You point would make sense if DE sold overpowered weapons for real money only and they could be traded(then yes, these would sell for crazy amounts of plat). Fat chance of that ever happening.

2. You not being able to sell something is a matter of your personal luck and skill. Do not try to sell something that no one wants to buy- and you will have no issues. Most stuff everyone already has or does not want.

What skill? Spamming chat every 2min all day?

You sound like them price gougers. The only thing that'll be destroyed is your price gouging. You'll now have to earn it by buying all the cheap ones and gouging the prices to what you want rather than simply demand an overprice that people these days are more likely to pay due to no info on price of such item. Even wtftrading can't be trusted.

So with sales limited by mastery rank daily, how can an AH ruin this game?

What's needed is an in game trading post(forum) where sellers can post all the things they are selling and the buyer can search for what he wants then contact the seller, even posting an offer. Thus removing the need to sit in chat all day.

If you say no to this, you must hate the trading post on these forums. Must ruin your business.

2. DE would lose hundreds-thousands of dollars of profit. DE steve himself said that Trade is one of their main sources of money from this game. - He also said something about an Auction house...

3. Horrible horrible monopolise would start. AKA Dark Sector Alliance monopolies 2.0. Hahaha you want that new mod? Well you better hope these 15 grinders will sell it to you for under 1.5k since their the only ones selling it right now. :D - Already happening...

Economy is already screwed up anyway. It's in favor of price gougers which are here defending their right to rip people off.

It's like the fight for gun control.

Right now it's possible to buy all prime parts separately like Volt and sell the whole package way above total price of each piece.

Edited by Jinryusai

You gotta hunt for people who don't know the prices and then rip them off, obviously. Then you gotta post in clan chat "lolololol just sold X for Y plat, guy was such a noob".

Then you gotta say on the forums that "there is no such thing as ripping someone off and that it's an agreed deal".

So much ~~skill~~

Edited by kiteohatto

Special cosmetics, lets not leave that out. PA accessories can only be bought with real money and they can't be traded.

In-game items cost way less because they are farmable, all it takes is patience and luck.

You point would make sense if DE sold overpowered weapons for real money only and they could be traded(then yes, these would sell for crazy amounts of plat). Fat chance of that ever happening.

Well, as much as I don't want to bring up player attitude/mentality/mindset, taking Warframe's arguably horrible RNG, and the current dictation of prices in the trading tab (keep in mind, despite that none of these players have a true real-time update on the price of what they want to sell, if someone sets the price, thats the point of reference), what can AH solve? Everybody can see everything, they can view the prices, imagine the potential of what a merchant clan or alliance can do. We'd have our own version of the Perrin Sequence.

What's needed is an in game trading post(forum) where sellers can post all the things they are selling and the buyer can search for what he wants then contact the seller, even posting an offer. Thus removing the need to sit in chat all day.

You know what? What if we got the option (if we do end up getting an AH) to click "PM Seller" or whatever instead of typing /w <insert username here and hope he/she is online> to leave a message as a form of negotiation? Thats actually a really good idea and I'm up for it. Basically still incorporate the trading tab in its own way and be able to negotiate with the seller real-time or leave a message if the seller's asleep. I mean, that'd be a nice add-on.

Edited by styxonfire

The Auction House reality:

11. Merchant Clans will form and attempt to manipulate prices

12. The real fair value of items will be very very scary. 95% of items will be worth 1p or less (in short only worth DuCat value) and supposedly sought after items like Ash P Systems will only drop by the day not rise.

13. People will spend more time auction sniping than playing the game

14. People will realize that since it is so easy and cheap to get items, there will be less incentive to farm

^

This ..

Overall I just want a system that doesn't give me eye strain and require undivided attention 100% of the time.

Trade needs to be made more casual.

Rather then a trading house I was wondering if you could put in some kind of billboard.

Something like you select the items you are looking to sell and add a price, and then other people can select the items they want to buy which filters the view to show only items like yours or which are on your list. 

You can only select a certain number of items at a time, and there is a duration before your listing is removed.

If you or someone else wants your item you can accept the price or make a counter offer, because I am a big believer in the negotiation side of things, not that the 'highest price wins ('cause some people need an item and are good folk, so why not give them a negotiated discount 'cause your a nice seller ? :)

You know what? Why don't we collaborate/brainstorm on how WF's trading house is gonna work? Like, lets tell DE what our concept is or something. I don't wanna make another thread thats gonna be pretty much the same as this except asking for good ideas, but yeah. Lets just pile up our ideas here (as of page 7... or 8) and hopefully it'd be moved to the suggestions tab or something or stay here and get pinned.

Edit: on people getting ripped off? Get a life. There was an offer, there was an acceptance. There was consideration. That is as much of a business contract (virtually) that you can get. If you didn't like the offer, or you didnt know what your item is worth, don't accept it. Who asked the seller to sell if he didn't like the price. (And what of those that get manipulated into buying or simply don't know?)

You cant go to a pawnshop(You mean gamestop :)) to sell your watch for $10 and scream "BLOODY SCAM!"(Do you even know the definition of ripped off?) when the pawnshop sells your stuff to the public at $50 now can you? So whats the problem when this is in game?(Don't think this out of whack analogy has anything to do with what people are talking about, you are simply out of touch)

Ripped off: To exploit, swindle, cheat, or defraud: false advertising campaign that ripped off consumers.

Edited by Jinryusai

You sound like them price gougers. The only thing that'll be destroyed is your price gouging. You'll now have to earn it by buying all the cheap ones and gouging the prices to what you want rather than simply demand an overprice that people these days are more likely to pay due to no info on price of such item. Even wtftrading can't be trusted.

So with sales limited by mastery rank daily, how can an AH ruin this game?

If you say no to this, you must hate the trading post on these forums. Must ruin your business.

I'm not a "price gouger". I do not have to spam trade chat every 2 minute (and in fact rarely even have to post more than 3 times a day for a sizeable profit).

Daily sales being limited by MR doesn't solve anything- find my other posts in this thread and read them I'm not going to explain to someone for the 101st time.

No. It does not need that. It does not need an auction house. The economy would die.

No- I do not. It does not ruin my business. Only a fraction of players use the forums- and a fraction of forum users even use the trading section. An auction house would allow someone's posts to be up all day every day at any time- forums the people still have to get together at the same time to trade.

Well, as much as I don't want to bring up player attitude/mentality/mindset, taking Warframe's arguably horrible RNG, and the current dictation of prices in the trading tab (keep in mind, despite that none of these players have a true real-time update on the price of what they want to sell, if someone sets the price, thats the point of reference), what can AH solve? Everybody can see everything, they can view the prices, imagine the potential of what a merchant clan or alliance can do. We'd have our own version of the Perrin Sequence.

AH can stabilise prices.

Right now its like this:

If someone is looking to buy something and they don't know the "current average" of the item then the seller can dictate the price to them, knowing full well that they are overcharging the poor guy.

If someone is wanting to sell something then they have 2 options, spam the chat with their desired price, if nobody buys then they lower the price until someone does or they come across a person who doesn't know any better.

With AH prices of everything will stabilise, each item will have an average price, there will be no extremes like we have right now.

This is because:

Sellers who know the prices will list their items and if nobody buys them then they lower the price until people start buying them.

Seller who don't know the prices will see the ongoing "acceptable" price of the item and will place the sell order in that range or undercut to sell the item quicker for less.

In the end, sellers without a clue won't sell items for dirt cheap anymore and sellers who know won't be able to overcharge anymore, because they just simply won't sell their item. It will be a nice middle average, for every item.

Well, other than some common bronze cards which nobody buys anyway, even now.

What this means for buyers:

-Easy ingame access to average prices without having to go check 3rd party sites or trade subforum

-Readily available items, don't have to be in the right place at the right time anymore to buy something you want !

What this means for sellers:

-Don't need to spam trade chat nearly as much! You can actually play the game and not spend all of your time reading TC and watching films waiting for someone to "WTB" something you have.

-You can log off and still sell stuff

some of us have been sitting on stockpiles of things that we want to sell but we dont want to spend hours in trade chat to sell it

As for the AH ruining economy thing some people keep bringing up, this won't happen with warframe.

This is because:

-there are no gold farmers to buy stuff from, even if there were...you can't trade a lot of things.

-everything is farmable, but not everything is tradable! You can't lose a value of something if it didn't have a value in the first place.

-the only thing everyone cares about is platinum and DE has full control over it. Platinum can never go up or down in value because players can't farm it directly. The only thing that goes up and down in value are the items and this is all dependant on rng.

Edited by kiteohatto

I'm not a "price gouger". I do not have to spam trade chat every 2 minute (and in fact rarely even have to post more than 3 times a day for a sizeable profit). - Sounds like you don't sell anything with a small amount and overprice everything.

Daily sales being limited by MR doesn't solve anything- find my other posts in this thread and read them I'm not going to explain to someone for the 101st time. - Don't really care to search for your posts...

No. It does not need that. It does not need an auction house. The economy would die. - You don't know what a trading post is do you...the one on the forums. That's what this game needs in the game so everyone uses it.

No- I do not. It does not ruin my business. Only a fraction of players use the forums- and a fraction of forum users even use the trading section. An auction house would allow someone's posts to be up all day every day at any time- forums the people still have to get together at the same time to trade. - Didn't mention Auction at all in the bottom of the post...

Read carefully

-Snips because I actually agree with how that works, but I want to bring up certain things that does raise my concern-

As for the AH ruining economy thing some people keep bringing up, this won't happen with warframe.

This is because:

-there are no gold farmers to buy stuff from, even if there were...you can't trade a lot of things.

What are the valuable items in the game right now? Just because you can trade alot of things, it doesn't mean everyone wants everything. A fair lot of the other tradeable things just randomly drop without really trying much. What about the kind of items that have horrible drop rates and high value or high demand?

-everything is farmable, but not everything is tradable! You can't lose a value of something if it didn't have a value in the first place.

But what if, lets say, I'm a victim of bad RNG and I want, lets say, a Nova Prime Systems? Sure, the effectiveness of posting "WTB>Nova Prime Systems" can be a bit of a pain since you're gonna have to wait while some people may bother scrolling up finding your post in the trading tab, and I gotta admit its a bit of a pain when buying and selling. BUT if the AH is there, and prior to that, the prices back then for the Nova Prime Systems were, lets say, 80p or 60p. What if the AH has been there for a month and the prices for the Nova Prime Systems have been stuck in 140p or 160p throughout all sellers, while other tradeable items have devalued and/or increased in value based on their worth before the implementation of the AH? What if it does jack up the prices? 

-the only thing everyone cares about is platinum and DE has full control over it. Platinum can never go up or down in value because players can't farm it directly. The only thing that goes up and down in value are the items and this is all dependant on rng.

The part that players can farm it indirectly, since there are players who haven't dropped a dime on Warframe and still have cosmetics, frames, the works, the part that RNG is what help set the value, the other being its purpose, then how exactly does an AH help if it can aid in dictation of how the market runs?

I'm just asking questions here.

Edited by styxonfire

What are the valuable items in the game right now? Just because you can trade alot of things, it doesn't mean everyone wants everything. A fair lot of the other tradeable things just randomly drop without really trying much. What about the kind of items that have horrible drop rates and high value or high demand?

The valuable items are those with low drop rates, these will always be this way, only DE can change that. Just like with every game that has a functional AH there are low drop rate items which cost more, obviously. I don't see what you are getting at here ?

But what if, lets say, I'm a victim of bad RNG and I want, lets say, a Nova Prime Systems? Sure, the effectiveness of posting "WTB>Nova Prime Systems" can be a bit of a pain since you're gonna have to wait while some people may bother scrolling up finding your post in the trading tab, and I gotta admit its a bit of a pain when buying and selling. BUT if the AH is there, and prior to that, the prices back then for the Nova Prime Systems were, lets say, 80p or 60p. What if the AH has been there for a month and the prices for the Nova Prime Systems have been stuck in 140p or 160p throughout all sellers, while other tradeable items have devalued and/or increased in value based on their worth before the implementation of the AH? What if it does jack up the prices?

As soon as you type "WTB Nova prime systems" you are going to start getting whispers with overpriced sale offers, this happens a lot more than you getting a reasonable price. There is less people buying platinum then there are people trying to get platinum via trading, we have a lot of plat demand but we have less plat injection, according to the trading site it's 2:1 ratio in platinum injection and 4:1 in sales compared to buys.

The price of Nova p systems would not be "stuck" at those prices because there aren't many who will pay so much for it. Sellers will have to lower the price if they want to sell it, otherwise it'll just sit there.

Just because you have bad RNG luck does not mean that others do too, some are blessed and some are not. Not everyone has bad RNG with this game. The prices won't skyrocket, there are a lot more people trying to sell stuff then there are those who are willing to pay a lot of plat. Warframe players are stingy with plat, they don't like selling for little and they don't want to pay more than they absolutely have to for anything(im talking about buyers who are in-the-know about prices).

The prices of everything will be averaged out based on everyone's willingness to pay for the items. Price too high = no sale. Price too small = super quick sale. Price will be automatically adjusted as people find out how quickly they can get another Nova p systems to drop. It will be "just right" sort of thing. Nova p systems will be priced depending on the global average drop rate, NOT the sellers drop rate.

qVlBJqV.jpg

The part that players can farm it indirectly, since there are players who haven't dropped a dime on Warframe and still have cosmetics, frames, the works, the part that RNG is what help set the value, the other being its purpose, then how exactly does an AH help if it can aid in dictation of how the market runs?

Yes, players can farm plat indirectly but it's all up RNG.

AH helps to dictate the prices for everyone as it stabilises the economy for everyone, not just the sellers profit margins.

Look at how this will work, lets say people are able to see that the average selling price for Nova p systems is 80-100p, they decide to go and farm it. Some will get it quick and others won't. The lucky ones will drive the price down(because they got it dropped quicker) and unlucky ones will drive the price up(because it took them forever to get the rare drop). Now, lucky ones can sell it for 80p reasonably quick, people will pay that. Unlucky will list it for 120 because of how rare it was for them, but it won't sell. The average price will be that point when both sides find a common "soft spot", which will be 100p. (im just talking numbers here, i don't have a clue about nova p systems pricing).

Now, because people are farming for this item, this item will eventually go down in price due to oversupply. The other items will go up in price because there are less people farming those. This is a constant change type of thing, eventually everything will average out because the price won't be dictated between 2 people(how much someone is willing to pay for it and how much plat a seller can squeeze out of the buyer) like it is right now. The price will be dictated by a everyone's willingness to pay for it(buyers) and every seller's "good enough" stock turn over rate/price.

Edited by kiteohatto

here. http://warframe.market/

theres your dam auction house

Thanks !

This is a good example of how AH works and you look over some of the pricing for mods, there not all going for 1 plat each.

Mind you the more people that use sites like this, the more the prices would drop for common mods.

But I think the point here is that it is already happening and I hope they grow in popularity.

The valuable items are those with low drop rates, these will always be this way, only DE can change that. Just like with every game that has a functional AH there are low drop rate items which cost more, obviously. I don't see what you are getting at here ?

As soon as you type "WTB Nova prime systems" you are going to start getting whispers with overpriced sale offers, this happens a lot more than you getting a reasonable price. There is less people buying platinum then there are people trying to get platinum via trading, we have a lot of plat demand but we have less plat injection, according to the trading site it's 2:1 ratio in platinum injection and 4:1 in sales compared to buys.

The price of Nova p systems would not be "stuck" at those prices because there aren't many who will pay so much for it. Sellers will have to lower the price if they want to sell it, otherwise it'll just sit there.

Just because you have bad RNG luck does not mean that others do too, some are blessed and some are not. Not everyone has bad RNG with this game. The prices won't skyrocket, there are a lot more people trying to sell stuff then there are those who are willing to pay a lot of plat. Warframe players are stingy with plat, they don't like selling for little and they don't want to pay more than they absolutely have to for anything(im talking about buyers who are in-the-know about prices).

The prices of everything will be averaged out based on everyone's willingness to pay for the items. Price too high = no sale. Price too small = super quick sale. Price will be automatically adjusted as people find out how quickly they can get another Nova p systems to drop. It will be "just right" sort of thing. Nova p systems will be priced depending on the global average drop rate, NOT the sellers drop rate.

qVlBJqV.jpg

Yes, players can farm plat indirectly but it's all up RNG.

AH helps to dictate the prices for everyone as it stabilises the economy for everyone, not just the sellers profit margins.

Look at how this will work, lets say people are able to see that the average selling price for Nova p systems is 80-100p, they decide to go and farm it. Some will get it quick and others won't. The lucky ones will drive the price down(because they got it dropped quicker) and unlucky ones will drive the price up(because it took them forever to get the rare drop). Now, lucky ones can sell it for 80p reasonably quick, people will pay that. Unlucky will list it for 120 because of how rare it was for them, but it won't sell. The average price will be that point when both sides find a common "soft spot", which will be 100p. (im just talking numbers here, i don't have a clue about nova p systems pricing).

Now, because people are farming for this item, this item will eventually go down in price due to oversupply. The other items will go up in price because there are less people farming those. This is a constant change type of thing, eventually everything will average out because the price won't be dictated between 2 people(how much someone is willing to pay for it and how much plat a seller can squeeze out of the buyer) like it is right now. The price will be dictated by a everyone's willingness to pay for it(buyers) and every seller's "good enough" stock turn over rate/price.

Oh well, atleast that answers my concern. The best way to see how it really works is if it is put into action.

If I recall correctly, hasn't DE said several times in dev streams that they have no plans or interest in adding an auction house? I believe they're concerned that fair pricing would lead to less platinum sold. They're probably right, as who's going to pay their market prices for warframes and weapons if the price of prime frames and weapons is a fraction of that in the auction house? This way, sellers have the DE market value of frames and weapons to set expectations in peoples mind, rather than an equalized fair price determined by supply and demand.

In short, any auction house is probably going to make DEs market look pretty bad in comparison, and I doubt they want that.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that this game needs an auction house system like in    WoW  SWTOR Dcuo and many others it would make selling/trading much easier then the open trade system u have now it sucks when u have too sit around doing nothing because u need/want too trade something for credit/plat , if u implimented a auction house ppl could post stuff they want too sell for credits or plat then go and farm more materials making t he game much more enjoyable because pretty much nobody likes having too sit around doing nothing

I feel that this game needs an auction house system like in    WoW  SWTOR Dcuo and many others it would make selling/trading much easier then the open trade system u have now it sucks when u have too sit around doing nothing because u need/want too trade something for credit/plat , if u implimented a auction house ppl could post stuff they want too sell for credits or plat then go and farm more materials making t he game much more enjoyable because pretty much nobody likes having too sit around doing nothing

...now say that out loud, in one breath.

...now say that out loud, in one breath.

That's horrible, why would you want to put someone through that? 

Don't listen to Noamuth rentown, don't want you to asphyxiate.

Auction houses are already on the table iirc, we don't need more threads about it.

Edited by DeMonkey