Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Have A Place To Farm Orokin Catalysts/reactors?

NinthAria

Please? For something so critical to endgame builds, it seems really weird that there's no consistent way to acquire them by actually playing the game. Don't care if it's a void reward or whatever, but having to wait for devstreams and/or events and/or for the stars to align on invasion/alert rewards to get something so important sucks.

Uuuh... dude, that's a free to play game in which the devs give you from time to time a free to do alert that grant you a catalyst / reactor.

First they are cheap, 20 plat acquired from trading is easy. And second, it's one of the ONLY thing you need from the market and you can still get some for free.

No for the idea, and i assume DE won't ever do that. They already give enough of them for free.

I'm well aware there are workarounds. I'm perfectly okay with platinum being a shortcut, like it is with everything else. But there should really be a way to acquire it without platinum by playing the game, like there is for everything else. (At least everything else that has to do with player power.)

I'm well aware there are workarounds. I'm perfectly okay with platinum being a shortcut, like it is with everything else. But there should really be a way to acquire it without platinum by playing the game, like there is for everything else. (At least everything else that has to do with player power.)

That's called "farm for prime part or rare mods and sell them to other players in order to acquire the plat you need to buy the reactor/catalyst".

It's not hard and a good way to avoid paying in the game.

For once i can say DE is doing a real good job at making the game "free". But they still need money, and every single plat used in the market grant them some and that's a good point.

But there should really be a way to acquire it without platinum by playing the game, like there is for everything else

Well there is of course. As you said, invasions and Gifts of the Lotus.

There is a way.

What you want is an easy and farmable way. What you want is a fast way.

DE has made it very clear. Everything fundamental to the game (including potatoes) can be obtained in-game. But platinum is the fastest way. It's supposed to be the fastest way with DE's monetization structure.

No matter what my feelings are on this issue, I know that we will never see a farmable source of Orokin Catalysts and Reactors.

What you want is an easy and farmable way. What you want is a fast way.

What I want is to be able to log in and say "okay, I need an Orokin Catalyst" and be able to work towards it. I never said anything about needing it to be easy or fast. If I need Forma, I can do that on my terms; endless missions for keys, void runs for the blueprints, then miscellaneous resource farming for mats. Sometimes I get lucky and it happens quickly, other times not so quickly. Resources, same thing. Prime parts, same thing. Mods, same thing. There's an element of RNG, like there is with catalyst/reactor alerts, but the question of "when" is left to my discretion, rather than being tied to alert/invasion/event windows.

That's all I want.

That's all I want.

Ok, I understand a bit better what you want.

But the point stands. You're asking DE to heavily change their monetization scheme, and one of their prime sources of income, because of your schedule.

I just don't see it happening. Not when there's ways to get these components for free. Not when there's ways to get plats without paying money.

My advice: farm those plats. It's the easiest way. More than hoping that DE will seriously decrease their monetization in order to give you the chance to farm at your convenience.

It's for a lot more than just me. In fact, it's not for me at all; I've been playing for a few years and am generally living pretty comfortably. But a newer player doesn't have a ton of platinum, or a ton of things to sell for platinum, or access to all the good mission nodes to get things to sell for platinum, or a history of event participation, or...you get the idea. And putting all that aside, why should we have to go through such a roundabout method of acquiring something so crucial for modding weapons/frames? If the solution right now is "run void content for parts to trade for platinum to get superchargers," why can't we just cut out the middleman and make it "run void content to get superchargers"? If Forma or Exilus Adapters couldn't be farmed I guarantee you people would riot; why is it okay for catalysts and reactors?

Also, DE has a lot more monetization avenues now than they did when open beta started, including but not limited to syandanas, sugatras, warframe skins, weapon skins, Liset decorations, warframe armor, animations sets, and color packs; and that's putting aside just buying gameplay-related things like weapons for platinum. I'm not an economist, nor do I have access to DE's revenue numbers, but I think they'd survive, especially since they wouldn't even have to remove the option. People would still buy catalysts to get them ASAP, just like people still buy warframes, weapons, and other gameplay-related stuff even though they're farmable normally.

Random Alerts

Invasions

Post devstream gifts

There are atleast 3 ingame ways to get them, combine that with trading (to which you need to sell only a few good parts to get 20p) and you shouldn't have issues getting them

A new player doesn't require reactor nor catalyst...

As a new player, I completely disagree with this. Many parts of the game are ridiculously difficult or impossible to solo for a new player, which means they need to play in a group. Due to the way the game groups you with other players, you're often matched with people who are vastly more powerful than you. The new player will run 30% slower (at best) and do about 1% of the damage that the other person will, while also lacking survivability or strong weapons.

Orokin gear doesn't remotely close this gap, but it at least narrows it to the point where the newer player can actually keep up. Playing Rush is a necessity when you can get matched up with those powerful builds, since without it those players will literally complete the entire mission while you're just trying to catch up to them.

Really, though, the entire grinding process for new players is insane. I'm over 100 hours in and have managed to find two forma. At this rate, I'll have my dojo built in a few thousand hours, which will still leave me with zero forma used on weapons and warframes. Even if the entirety of my time playing is spent doing the most repetitive grinding with the best odds of getting forma, it's still going to take ages (tedious, unfun ages).

They seem to have rebalanced the game since it came out around the people who have played it for years. This has put new players in a very bad place. We can't run the game solo, so we have to group. We get grouped with god-tier builds, so we can't actually contribute in missions. We don't already have Dojos and can't get forma without massive amounts of grinding, so we have to join existing Dojos that were built when the drop rates weren't this terrible.

Giving players a way to farm the gear that allows new players to progress without dropping wads of cash is not only a good thing, it's absolutely necessary. I'm not sure that I'm even going to log in to Warframe again after doing the math and realizing that the drop rates on various items, many made worse recently, make it impossible for me to progress without spending tons of platinum in the store.

For anyone who says "they need to make money somehow," they don't need to do it by gating progression behind paying cash. I bought some platinum for extra slots. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect me to also buy forma for every room in my dojo and all the gear I need, the reactors and catalysts I need to use to participate in any way when I'm grouped with insanely powerful builds, and whatever else they decide to both make necessary and give a terrible drop rate.

Please? For something so critical to endgame builds, it seems really weird that there's no consistent way to acquire them by actually playing the game. Don't care if it's a void reward or whatever, but having to wait for devstreams and/or events and/or for the stars to align on invasion/alert rewards to get something so important sucks.

I'm missing I think 3 Frames (the lastest Primes) and I still have 9 Reactors in storage, and Catalysts in all my favorite guns, with 12 Catalysts still in storage. On my U14 testing account I have 16 Catalysts and 7 Reactors spare after putting R+C in a handful of Frames and guns, even thought there I only use Excalibur+Glaive to do all the mission and event testing.

Reactors don't need to be farmed because there is not that many Frames, and even if you could farm for Catalysts, I fail to see why you would bother putting them in every single weapon when you will NOT be using every single weapon.

As a new player, I completely disagree with this. Many parts of the game are ridiculously difficult or impossible to solo for a new player, which means they need to play in a group. Due to the way the game groups you with other players, you're often matched with people who are vastly more powerful than you. The new player will run 30% slower (at best) and do about 1% of the damage that the other person will, while also lacking survivability or strong weapons.

Orokin gear doesn't remotely close this gap, but it at least narrows it to the point where the newer player can actually keep up. Playing Rush is a necessity when you can get matched up with those powerful builds, since without it those players will literally complete the entire mission while you're just trying to catch up to them.

Really, though, the entire grinding process for new players is insane. I'm over 100 hours in and have managed to find two forma. At this rate, I'll have my dojo built in a few thousand hours, which will still leave me with zero forma used on weapons and warframes. Even if the entirety of my time playing is spent doing the most repetitive grinding with the best odds of getting forma, it's still going to take ages (tedious, unfun ages).

They seem to have rebalanced the game since it came out around the people who have played it for years. This has put new players in a very bad place. We can't run the game solo, so we have to group. We get grouped with god-tier builds, so we can't actually contribute in missions. We don't already have Dojos and can't get forma without massive amounts of grinding, so we have to join existing Dojos that were built when the drop rates weren't this terrible.

Giving players a way to farm the gear that allows new players to progress without dropping wads of cash is not only a good thing, it's absolutely necessary. I'm not sure that I'm even going to log in to Warframe again after doing the math and realizing that the drop rates on various items, many made worse recently, make it impossible for me to progress without spending tons of platinum in the store.

For anyone who says "they need to make money somehow," they don't need to do it by gating progression behind paying cash. I bought some platinum for extra slots. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect me to also buy forma for every room in my dojo and all the gear I need, the reactors and catalysts I need to use to participate in any way when I'm grouped with insanely powerful builds, and whatever else they decide to both make necessary and give a terrible drop rate.

* You only need 1 Frame and 1 main Weapon (which you can prepare with the Starting Plat you get) to play the entire Star Chart, then maybe a few Forma to optimize for Void, just to reach the drops on Rotation C, which means 1 Reactor, 1 Catalyst (easy to buy with starting Plat) to unlock the rest of the game at a leisurely pace, while keeping the same power level as the rest of the team.

* You don't need a Dojo when you can join a clan for 20 minutes, duplicate all the Blueprints for credits only, then drop out, if all you want if extra gear.

* If, just for personal giggles you just want a one man Dojo, a near perfect starter design (that can make all the game gear) needs only around 10 tiles, hence 10 Forma, which is very easy to do, and after that you can take your time to expand it with the totally useless - other then for the looks - other decoration tiles and room decorations.

Basically like this : http://i.imgur.com/NFUP6Jd.png

In my opinion, you just did not plan ahead and are maybe too impatient. Also, your "math" is way off. I did all this testing already when U14 came out, and my U14 account has an Excalibur, a Loki and a Vauban all with Reactors, a handful of weapons that work up to and including T4 when in teams because of a few of Forma in each. No Plat was injected at any stage, and no cross-account movement of gear or Mods ever done.

You are confusing optional items and collectibles with core game play. Grind in games refers to game content that is unplayable UNLESS you grind - say for example, needing Tier Armour in WOW to actually run Tiered Raids.

I have done ZERO grinding on my U14 account, in fact, for a while, I was not logging into my main one and doing everything on my U14 Excalibur (hence why it collected over 300 hours of mission time, and has a usage for Excalibur at 84% (22.8 Million Affinity, 11K kills), and my Glaive at 74% (17.5 Million Affinity, 55K kills) ... I was having so much fun I ignored my primary account with 20+ Frames and 100+ guns, in order to test just how far I could go and how much the RNG would be different from an account that had been played since Beta, but concentrating on the game play aspect, and putting "collecting junk" as a far second.

(1) * You don't need a Dojo when you can join a clan for 20 minutes, duplicate all the Blueprints for credits only, then drop out, if all you want if extra gear.

(2) * If, just for personal giggles you just want a one man Dojo, a near perfect starter design (that can make all the game gear) needs only around 10 tiles, hence 10 Forma, which is very easy to do, and after that you can take your time to expand it with the totally useless - other then for the looks - other decoration tiles and room decorations.

Basically like this : http://i.imgur.com/NFUP6Jd.png

(3) You are confusing optional items and collectibles with core game play. Grind in games refers to game content that is unplayable UNLESS you grind - say for example, needing Tier Armour in WOW to actually run Tiered Raids.

I numbered the points I felt like responding to.

1: Joining an existing Dojo is not playing the game. It is leeching off of someone who has already played the game. There's a ton of stuff only available from Dojos, and none of this is available to people starting the game fresh unless they leech from older players or dedicate tremendous amounts of time or cash to acquiring forma.

2: This is a terrible Dojo. I don't want to build some crappy Dojo that's no fun to be in or navigate through simply because the grind to obtain forma is so tedious and unbearable.

3: You can't provide your very narrow personal definition of a word and then say that everyone else is wrong for not using the word in the precise way in which you use it, especially when the definition you give is nonsensical. "Grind refers to content unplayable unless you grind?" You're referencing the word you're defining inside the definition, and in a way that clearly means something different. What exactly are you trying to say there?

Regardless, everything you said basically amounts to "leech off of established players." That is not in any way a solution to these problems. Grouping with god-tier builds so that carry my comparatively worthless build through content is terrible and unfun. I want to play the game, not watch other people play the game.

Drop rates are clearly balanced around selling more platinum. This is the worst sort of free to play microtransaction style that exists, where the game is made so tedious to progress through that players become willing to pay cash just to skip the worst parts of the experience. This is exacerbated by a fundamentally broken grouping mechanic that doesn't take build strength into account at all. These are actual problems that need to be fixed. You can't simply hand wave them away by saying new players can just leech what they need from older players.

Edited by Sevlessa

OP makes a completely reasonable request/feedback point, and let the white-knighting, straw man and pure contrariness begin... mostly straw man. OP didn't ask that anything be "given for free," or for DE to change their "monetization model," nor for drops to be "fast and easy," but merely that potatoes be added -somewhere- in the loot table, and I agree completely that they should. Other loot doesn't change DE's "monetization model" and potatoes wouldn't either if inserted into the loot tables in the correct way.

They could be added to the raid loot tables or nightmare raids as a -possible- drop to offset the very mediocre arcanes and current state of raiding experience generally. They could be added to the loot tables of underplayed high-end Archwing tile tables, other underplayed tiles, the orokin vault, etc., possibilities are endless and not "for free" any more than prime parts or other loot is "free." This would be a very good idea because more players would PLAY more content to get them. Keeping players playing and expanding their toolset is what leads to plat sales and growing game population.

Same for inventory slots. It's a no-brainer to add these and potatoes to loot tables somewhere, not necessarily an easy, fast somewhere, but somewhere. Does anyone here have a -rational- reason they shouldn't be? So far no one has posted any.

Wrong, you can't say that "it would have a negative effect on DE's bottom line" because neither you nor I know that. I contend that done correctly it would have a positive effect on DE's bottom line. Case in point, I spent 50-80 plat "rushing" forma production yesterday alone. If I had to wait for alerts to get forma, I would not have spent that plat, and in all likelihood if forma BPs were not in the loot table, I doubt I'd be playing this game, and would have moved on to some other game free to play or otherwise.

All weapons, warframes and prime items are available as drops in the game with presumably no ill effects on DE's bottom line and potatoes are no different, or if they are different do tell us -exactly- why and how they are.

Potatoes and inventory slots should be added to the loot tables, maybe even the syndicate rewards, raid rewards. No good reason not to.

It would have a negative effect on DE's bottom line to make them farmable

If their financial model is based around gating progression behind microtransactions, then that's a major problem in itself.

Regardless of that, the argument you provided would defend every single microtransaction imaginable, no matter how nefarious it is. That's a pretty clear indication that you're using a bad argument.