Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I Watched A Bit Of One Punch Man

Imaru

And I must say, funny though it may be, there is no wiry for the protagonist. We (the viewers) know that as soon as he lands a punch the conflict will end and that lack of concequential conflict just makes it uninteresting for me to watch. Just my opinion.

If anyone can suggest a good entry level anime (some fan service wouldn't be amiss) I may give it a go.

That is because the conflict isn't with the enemies he fights, but the enemy that he can't fight (aka is reputation). He can't instantly gain the respect from everyone in a single instant. Also, the other characters around Saitama are also learning to fight their own demons.

Gurren Lagann is a good entry level anime I guess.

The point isn't so much he struggles in a fight, but that he is so powerful that he finds no joy doing what he describes as "being a hero for fun".

It's a comedy too, so we have to laugh at his "Struggles". 

He struggles with popularity, as the population labels him a cheater, a faker, a person who steals credit from other heroes. Nobody wants to believe this immensely powerful individual exists. 

It's like Superman, if nobody knew him, arriving in a city where there are hundreds of heroes already. People are used to heroes and wont appreciate the efforts, especially when being a hero is a career/advertising move/marketing role.

Also, I would recommend:

Gurren Lagann

Hunter x Hunter

These two are generally superb introductions into anime, in my opinion.

Edited by Sixnalia

As someone said, One Punch Man is a mix of Action, Comedy and a bit of Gore.

It's funny how he got that strong just by training, unlike Genos, since Genos is a cyborg, or at least most of his body.

Can't wait for the next Episode.

Edited by DarkLordX2

And I must say, funny though it may be, there is no wiry for the protagonist. We (the viewers) know that as soon as he lands a punch the conflict will end and that lack of concequential conflict just makes it uninteresting for me to watch. Just my opinion.

If anyone can suggest a good entry level anime (some fan service wouldn't be amiss) I may give it a go.

To best tell you what to whatch, tell me what do you want from an anime?

Edited by Dwolfknight

So, you want anime.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Another.

And of course, Monster Musume no iru Nichijou.

You say you want a bit of fanservice? Maybe Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt will be your thing. Aaaand if you want a bit more action, Kill la Kill is there like a good neighbour.

For cutesy, I'd suggest Kill Me Baby and maybe even K-On!. For feels, Angel Beats.

Edited by LoopStricken

Really? Thats a bit of a bummer

What if its a build up tothe one enemy HE CANT ONE PUNCH

As others mentioned, he is already facing something he can't just punch. His reputation with the highly critical public population. That's his battle.

The author has stated that if he punched with all his real strength, he would literally shatter the universe. And the Hero Association have suggested that "a God resides in that body". 

Ideally, we're supposed to see conflict through other characters when it comes to fights of strength. But as it was mentioned, Saitama has to battle the people who criticize him and can't believe he is simply THE strongest hero.

I'd say watch a few more episodes of One Punch Man, to see if anything else about it catches your interest. If not, oh well, move on then I guess.

I have no idea what "entry level anime" would even be, but these are my all-time top recommendations, in no particular order:

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Hellsing Ultimate

Death Note

Code Geass

Gurren Lagann

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (and it's sequel, Stardust Crusaders)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Mushishi

As previously stated, I have no idea what would qualify as "entry level anime", therefore any number of these might not qualify. You've been warned.

Yes Yes you can,i for example don't like death note

Neither did I. I only watched it because a friend of mine was laughing his $&*^ off at a GIF of the protag watching a TV inside a bag of potato chips. I found it amusing, but not really interesting.

Samurai Champloo felt like Diet Bebop to me. Maybe I went in with too much of an expectation, but it felt flavorless, pointless and without any real passion on the part of the animators or the writers. Feh@both of them. - 3-

One Punch Man is a satire on the ultra powerful super hero.  Not quite Gary Stu, but so powerful even he's bored of himself.

Gurren Lagann is a good entry level anime - it starts off... mostly mild, and ratchets up the scale to ludicrous levels as the series progresses.  Gargantia on the Verderous Planet might be a good start too, but it's a bit slower in pacing.  Less about absurdly cool manly action and more about how people think and the conflicts that arise from that.

I personally got started on an old anime called Blue Seed and I think Birdy the Mighty.  Chee, I'm not even sure One can find that either available on the internet anymore.

Steins:Gate can be sort of hard to follow, but is more of a mystery thriller minus the horror aspect.  It's about time travel.

I consider Baka and Test a more interesting comedy anime that along the genre of school battles.  Also, fair warning - this anime has a trap that doesn't even know he's a trap, it's blatantly obvious to the viewer (and the other characters, except the MC) he's a trap, and ALL the "fan service" is based around said trap... for the lulz.

Log Horizon if you're into MMORPGs.  Also largely lacks fan service.  Semi-action anime with a lot of thoughtful writing.  MC isn't even much of a fighter, just mad clever.

Black Lagoon if you're looking for something more down to earth with enough fantastical flare to still be unreal.  Bounty Hunters/mercenary group, One of the MCs is a slightly psychopathic chick.  The other is a former white collar desk worker that had to be declared "dead" for the sake of the company he worked for.

And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Slayers, which is a light hearted fantasy anime with a really simple plot - beat the big bad at the end of the season.  The main heroine has a bad habit of destroying entire cities in the process of beating her enemies.

The one's I've mentioned generally lack much in the way of fan service and aren't very difficult to follow, except maybe Log Horizon and Steins:Gate, and I'd say only the latter is really a head scratching risk, so One shouldn't feel awkward watching these shows or find themselves scratching their heads too often.

I'd recommend Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist as well.  Former is a influenced by old American westerns and actually has a bigger fanbase in America than it does in Japan (hell, they made a movie because of the American market) and the latter is based on a pseudo-magic/science variant of alchemy in a WWII era world.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic comes off as a kids anime, but actually has really dark undertones related to slavery and the differences in societal classes.  I really liked this one.

And if you need an entry level anime that is fantasy, super simple, and lasts hundreds of episodes... Fairy Tail.  This one actually comes off as being for the youngest audience... and is also the raunchiest of my list.

Edited by Littleman88

If you ask me, one punch man uses the absurdity of Saitama's strength for comedic purposes. it's more of a comedy than action.

I never even looked anything up, but i'm betting that someone made a gif of saitama punching or slapping ANYTHING and labeling Saitama as a paying user and the unfortunate soul on the receiving end of those attacks a free player. I can already tell it happened and i didn't even look anything up.

as for anime recommendations i would suggest log horizon if you like seeing a gamer use his intellect to make epic plans that would make you go "remind me not to get this guy mad."