Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House

Ashafa

Honestly I thought the Bazaar WAS going to be an auction house. Trade chat isnt that bad, but having an auction house where messages of sale could at least be posted would be nice: A number of times I have missed being able to buy something because I had to log out for the day. If only because of the time aspect, I like the idea of an Auction house type deal.

AH no, player store ala old MMO (think Lineage 2 and so on) yes.

Go to a Relay hit a button and now you can put up to 10 things to the store and set the price. Your Warfmare will do some special animation and the names of stuff your selling will go over your head.

To make finding stuff easier you can have a terminal in relay that you can check to see what ppl are selling, if you find something you want you hit "lead" and a power line will appear that will lead you to the store(Warframe) where you can buy the thing you want.

You can sell thing only if your online and the store thing only function in the relay and you need to be there with your warframe to open shop, to not over crowd relay DE can make new instance for the same relay it they hit the cap on ppl in once instance. The terminal will show all items from all instances.

It worked fine in old MMOs and it can work fine here to.

Edited by DraccoDoom

How's that different from now?

as said previously limited demand means demand dies after everyone is satisfied, satisfied players no longer need to buy plat and considering how much plat is actually in the market.

now the big kicker is the unlimited supply. we can effectively get an unlimited number of any prime part in rotation in the void, leading to some prices on these items droping like previously stated man with concrete shoes into an ocean while others will fall more steadily. the issue here is there is not a bottom limitation to where these prices can fall except 1.

meaning at a certain point in time the supply will vastly outweigh the demand, to the point of everything becoming so cheap you'd only need to maybe buy a 5USD pack of 75 plat to be able to buy 75 different prime parts. this means diminished profits for DE since the need/want to buy plat is diminished by the playerbase. get where this is going?

as said previously limited demand means demand dies after everyone is satisfied, satisfied players no longer need to buy plat and considering how much plat is actually in the market.

now the big kicker is the unlimited supply. we can effectively get an unlimited number of any prime part in rotation in the void, leading to some prices on these items droping like previously stated man with concrete shoes into an ocean while others will fall more steadily. the issue here is there is not a bottom limitation to where these prices can fall except 1.

meaning at a certain point in time the supply will vastly outweigh the demand, to the point of everything becoming so cheap you'd only need to maybe buy a 5USD pack of 75 plat to be able to buy 75 different prime parts. this means diminished profits for DE since the need/want to buy plat is diminished by the playerbase. get where this is going?

I still fail to see how this is any different than someone sitting in trade all day buying till his trades are used up then switching profiles. If prices go down, they go down. Warframe got trading in what? Update 13? So it lasted without people buying plat for trading. I wonder if those that are against a broker are also the ones that said trading will ruin Warframe.

As was said before, some changes should be made to the game before making a AH viable. Changes like forcing us to use mods per frame, making us need more than 1 copy of the same mod per every frame that needs it unless we enjoy manually changing it before going to missions.

No. It was like that once in the olden days and it made for terrible gameplay.

If auction houses making everything cost 1p is really that big a concern, DE could just set a price floor. Say, have there be a 20p cost (or a 50p cost, or whatever is reasonable) to put something up for auction so that to make any profit at all, someone would need to sell for 21p, for a paltry 1p profit at that. Meanwhile, trade chat would still be there for people seeking the best deal.

the issue here is there is not a bottom limitation to where these prices can fall except 1.

All DE has to do to cut this problem off at the knees is make it so that putting an item up for auction costs a certain amount of plat. Then to make a profit, a prospective seller will have to sell it for a certain minimum.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

I still fail to see how this is any different than someone sitting in trade all day buying till his trades are used up then switching profiles. If prices go down, they go down. Warframe got trading in what? Update 13? So it lasted without people buying plat for trading. I wonder if those that are against a broker are also the ones that said trading will ruin Warframe.

because many are turned off by how trading currently works, an auction house that functions when you are ingame or offline would mean a large influx of supply which our market as is couldnt handle.

and you dont seem to understand what limited demand is. its limited demand means once a person builds a frame or gun, they never need to have to buy the parts ever again, and any they may accrue go back into the trading system further decreasing the price of this item.

and sorry to burst your bubble on this, but people do buy plat packs from DE. it so more often those people who want to get prime access but its still paying DE for premium currency. but theres no telling how much of this goes into trading, but i would wager a fair amount does. and just going by the number of current steam users online (about 38k) we can guess each has at least 100p which comes to 3.8 million plat.

now if you remember warframe has something like 12 million players, if we go by each having about 100p on average, thats over a billion plat. now they might have not bought that plat themselves but someone has to have since i've only heard of someone getting plat from login rewards once in a blue moon.

so now lets remove the idea of the wall that is the current trade method. we go from maybe 4million possible traders to 12 and from each being active for maybe a few hours to ever hour of every day. do you not see how much more money is in the market for a limited number of needs?

the bottom line of this is:

people buy plat -> plat generates money for DE -> DE uses money to generate content -> content makes players happy and have new items to want to obtain -> people buy plat to either acquire the new items or trade for them -> the cycle repeats.

an auction house thrown in, as is, would mean less money for DE with falling prices of trade, meaning less content, meaning less happy players, meaning less money spent by players.

Edited by koopagon

No. It was like that once in the olden days and it made for terrible gameplay.

If auction houses making everything cost 1p is really that big a concern, DE could just set a price floor. Say, have there be a 20p cost (or a 50p cost, or whatever is reasonable) to put something up for auction so that to make any profit at all, someone would need to sell for 21p, for a paltry 1p profit at that. Meanwhile, trade chat would still be there for people seeking the best deal.

Daid that because that is a way to get rid of the "limited demand / unlimited supplies" issue. Clearly not the best, but the easiest.

I'm totally against an auction house, even if it has a price floor, adter all it's almost the same as puting every tradeable item at hand, as if it was into in-game market, with the only difference that if the second one got to happen players would scream "moneygrab" simply because plat would be going out of trading instead of staying in market.

Daid that because that is a way to get rid of the "limited demand / unlimited supplies" issue. Clearly not the best, but the easiest.

I'm totally against an auction house, even if it has a price floor, adter all it's almost the same as puting every tradeable item at hand, as if it was into in-game market, with the only difference that if the second one got to happen players would scream "moneygrab" simply because plat would be going out of trading instead of staying in market.

I don't understand your objection. An auction house and the ingame market are totally different things. Auction house is players selling to other players, ingame market is players buying stuff from DE for plat, thus removing plat from the economy.

I don't understand your objection. An auction house and the ingame market are totally different things. Auction house is players selling to other players, ingame market is players buying stuff from DE for plat, thus removing plat from the economy.

But isn't there illimited supply of items? And there's also the vast majority of player who don't trade because of the boredom of staying in a spot for 2 hours without moving.

If the auction house appear with a flooring it'll just give those million player who don't want to trade a chance to put a million of the same item on the auction flooring... That way we'll have like 200 page of boltor barrel for 5-10 platinum... Think he meant that, with those 200 pages of the same item for a very low amount of plat, the auction house basically becomes a in-game market that gives platinum to players upon sales.

Auction house would basically become a cheaper in-game market ( Some Prime set selling for a few 50-90 platinum while the normal version of a weapon/frame in the market sells for twice the amount ) since there's no limited supply on anything. Which would make a lot of player cry on the in-game market for being way too high on price thus, calling DE "MoneyGrabber".

Auction house would just give newbies a chance to use plat to buy the best (Non-mastery rank locked ) items after a few day of playing. Yes, there's a possibility of this happening with the current trading system but, the chance of a player being in the trading channel at the right time is far lower.

This is crap. People would just use the trade chat if that were the case, and the big bad clan cornering the auction house would lower prices or continue to waste plat buying everything.

It's a cost/benefit thing.  Those sorts of market manipulation shenanigans go on when it's too easy to use the auction.

The inconvenience of using the trade system is what's protecting the system from inflation at the moment.  It's kind of annoying, but like many  annoying things, the reason we can't have nice things is because there are so many idiots, wankers, trolls and abusive morons around, and systems have to be designed to circumvent said idiocy, wankerishness, trollery and abuse.

That said, I think everyone agrees that there could be some QOL improvements without going the whole hog to an auction house.

The other option would be to have a totally "blind" automated auction system like City of Heroes had - that actually worked pretty well.

Yep, but due to endless supply of pieces and low prices that pieces might get (if DE sets 20p as a floor, most of players will use that price in order to sell stuff), both of them would be exactly the same with the small difference of where platinum goes.

This auction house stuff sounds more like "i want everything as easy and cheap as possible"

Yep, but due to endless supply of pieces and low prices that pieces might get (if DE sets 20p as a floor, most of players will use that price in order to sell stuff), both of them would be exactly the same with the small difference of where platinum goes.

Except where the plat goes is a tremendously huge difference.

All plat ultimately comes from DE. Someone bought it with real money and put it into the game's economy. Plat spent on the ingame market goes out of the economy (ie buy a potato or slot and those plats vanish into the ether.) Plat spent on trade, whether via an auction house or trade chat though goes back into the economy. It's giving one player plat to another. That player will then either spend it on something like slots/taters/cosmetics, or he'll trade it on to someone else. Eventually that plat will be used.

This auction house stuff sounds more like "i want everything as easy and cheap as possible"

Is it really so wrong to want to be able to trade without having to spend hours staring at trade chat instead of, you know, playing the game? Because frankly, I'd be totally fine with being forced to pay 50p for a common part provided I could find it immediately without having to spend my time lurking trade chat or spamming "WTB [whatever] 50p."

If the auction house appear with a flooring it'll just give those million player who don't want to trade a chance to put a million of the same item on the auction flooring... That way we'll have like 200 page of boltor barrel for 5-10 platinum... Think he meant that, with those 200 pages of the same item for a very low amount of plat, the auction house basically becomes a in-game market that gives platinum to players upon sales.

On the other hand though, there will also be a large increase of buyers due to making trade easier too.

Auction house would basically become a cheaper in-game market ( Some Prime set selling for a few 50-90 platinum while the normal version of a weapon/frame in the market sells for twice the amount ) since there's no limited supply on anything. Which would make a lot of player cry on the in-game market for being way too high on price thus, calling DE "MoneyGrabber".

Oh. That makes sense. I disagree with it (you can already get a rhino prime for far less than the 350p DE asks for a normal rhino), but it makes sense.

Auction house would just give newbies a chance to use plat to buy the best (Non-mastery rank locked ) items after a few day of playing. Yes, there's a possibility of this happening with the current trading system but, the chance of a player being in the trading channel at the right time is far lower.

Actually, the best gear is getting MR locked, probably in 18.5.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

I was thinking that DE could make an auction house like in many MMORPGs like TERA and WoW where you place your item and set the minimum and maximum price you to sell your item for and the item remains in the auction house until someone buys it or you cancel the process. If you're online people can press a negotiation button to ask for minimum prices but if bought with "BUY NOW" Button then the buyer will pay average price o.0 this way you won't have to spam the chat nor have to be online to sell stuff

No ty. I've seen what efficient trading system can do to a game. People just don't get it. They would like cheaper stuff maybe, or selling stuff more easily - but they fail to realize the aftermath of things and effect on game economy ecosystem. Diablo, magalomaniac franchise with bazilion of players totally removed this feature from game, although they have made millions daily out of it. Coincidence?

Efficient trade system invalidates drops. All of them. Now you can actually earn stuff in trading if you invest some time and effort. If any drop would be easy to sell we would see incredible price drops on all items. Everything in game would be accessible to anyone. Whole drop table should be heavily modified for this to work, There are infinite amount of drops and finite amount of players. Warframe does not have RNG system included on item stats, that means that every drop is nearly worthless. 

This is not easy to describe so take my word for it - it's a terrible, terrible idea. 

But some kind of limited trading system where you could post your stuff while you are online among limited community of few hundred ppl, that could work. But no global efficient trading system (AH) - never. 

"It would be beneficial to the average player looking to complete an item or get a rare mod but it would lower the value for me so I don't want it" Is what I just got from this.

Random person 1-5000: WTS>(Insert Item here) 300p!

Me: "Well i got the same thing, And i want to sell it too

4 Seconds later

Me: WTS>(Insert item Here) 100P <negotiable>

Queue my tabs getting hit by a wave of request and offers.

In a auction house the cheapest price always gets bought. And im one of the people who like to Undercut others since I am still going to be getting profit anyway.

Edited by UtopioParadoxi

There seem to be three main arguments against an Auction House, so I'll address them.

1: A group of players could buy everything low and sell it back high, gouging the normal players.

Simple, everyone would just use trade chat and get items cheaper, and these people would waste plat buying everything they would never be able to sell. It wouldn't happen because it's not feasible.

2: The in game market would be devalued as you could get prime warframes and weapons cheaper than what the regular's price is listed as.

You can already do this. Type "WTB X Set" in the trade chat and I guarantee all of your offers will be cheaper than whatever DE sells the regular item for in the market.

3: Items would get so devalued everyone would flood the market with cheap items selling at 1 plat.

Fair enough, but the solution is simply to limit the number of sales you get per day. You get three, that seems like a reasonable number. Are you going to throw up Nyx blueprints for 1 plat a pop, to make a whopping 3 plat a day? No.

To counter the inevitable claim of "what if someone wants to buy a nyx blueprint and no one is selling them" there could be a buyer's tab for those looking for an item they cannot find on the market at the moment. A player could select the item in question that they want, in this case a Nyx Blueprint, set an offer, let's say 5 plat, and wait. Another player would brows the Buyer's tab and see that someone wants a Nyx blueprint, but doesn't want to sell it for 5, and makes a counter offer to the buyer of 10 plat. The buyer could then accept that or make another offer, and this would continue until the item is sold. Basically this would be a trade chat that wouldn't require you to sit in the chat watching it for hours and actually be ablt to enjoy the game. It would also solve issue 1 should that unlikely event ever happen.

It seems that the only other reason for not wanting an Auction House is so that players can price gouge others, which is a practice that serves no benefit to the average player.