The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there Counter-Play to Shock Eximus?

Havenless

8 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

I'm fine with it because I don't mind it when enemies are a legitimate threat rather than a mild inconvenience. Having to pay attention and play a bit more conservatively rather than speedrunning and steamrolling, is a good thing IMO.The game has been pretty easy aside from super-scaled enemies for a while and the added difficulty from recent changes is welcome.

And it is avoidable in many situations, kill them at range, and don't get close. There may be times when you have no choice but to take the mag proc, but so be it. Clear out what you can and then go in.

They are hard to pick out in a crowd, they can affect you before you're even aware of their existence, they completely ruin melee playstyle, they are outlandishly powerful compared to any other Eximus unit. I'm all for extra challenge but there are limits, for crying out loud.

And if you're literally arguing in favor of a mechanic by saying that at times it leaves you no choice, I don't understand how you're so oblivious to the problem while clearly admitting it.

Edited by Artarrwen

10 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

You get energy orbs, use consumable, go zenurik focus, yell at trin to ev near you. There's many ways to gain energy in the game, and it's absolutely not required to play.

They finally made the shock eximus do something and immediately you complain about it? God damn it.

Guess what, this is what the shock eximus originally did and intentionally removed it, and for a good reason. They bringing it back just like that makes absolutely no sense.

Also your argument is based around cherrypicking equipment, and energy orbs are entirely random btw, there is no guarantee you can get enough to refill all your energy that got instantly zapped away when you need it.

22 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

You get energy orbs, use consumable, go zenurik focus, yell at trin to ev near you. There's many ways to gain energy in the game, and it's absolutely not required to play.

They finally made the shock eximus do something and immediately you complain about it? God damn it.

So.... what you're saying is that EV Trin is needed for every group comp? So much for diversity.

11 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

go zenurik focus,  yell at trin to ev near you.

That's a good idea to diversify loadouts... I'll use this for when i want to play *a frame* in *a Mission* against *a faction*.  Thankfully there is this one enemy type that can spawn from ANY faction/mission type that dissuades people from using anything but one focus tree, pigeon-holing us into specific builds and group setups.

25 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

And i thought it can't get any worse than nullifier...got proven wrong.

You'd think that, until you realize Nullifiers can be shock eximus too...

I remember this from back in the day. It was BS then, and its even more BS now. I guess we need to remind DE why this mechanic is, and always will be, disgustingly bad.

19 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

^ This. Now you actually have to watch out for them and prioritize them. Sure they might get you by surprise every once in a while, but so does every other eximus. It's better than them doing absolutely nothing and players being able to slaughter them without a care.

My problem is with spotting them. An enemy that dangerous kinda needs a discernable silhouette/sound cue/particle effect (that makes them stand apart from other Eximii)/anything really.

Plus... wow this really kills the melee playstyle, just absolutely.

1 minute ago, Venomzz0 said:

Except his post is wrong, because shock eximus only spawn on corpus missions.

and invasions, crossfire, alerts, and all of the void

Edit: and don't forget the rare but still possible to get "in mission faction switch"

Edited by Drasiel
more info

1 minute ago, Drasiel said:

and invasions, crossfire, alerts, and all of the void

Side with the corpus, everything is infront of you in cross fire, so its easy to pick targets, void tiles are big and its easy to spot out eximus targets, and its 5 meter radius isnt that hard to avoid. I just honestly don't find them to be that big of a problem, annoying sure, but not nearly as annoying as a frost nullifier.

1 hour ago, Vyrndragon said:

The counter play is to kill them before they get close and actually pay attention. They aren't an issue if you keep an eye out and keep your distance.

Personally, I'm glad to see that they are working again.

You mean, kill that enemy that can drain your energy within a minuscule window of time, through walls and across rooms? Kill an enemy that you will often not be able to see, which drains your energy before you can get away (in a vague direction because it could be from multiple directions if you have no direct vision), with an aura that's hidden underneath all the other aura effects from other eximi? Yeah, just find it and kill it. From range too, right? What if you're melee?

Except that is rarely the case. That's a shocking defense of poor design. The shock eximus has always been bad, and the justifications people try to put out for it being a terrible, anti-skill unit are just as awful. It is a crap unit, it is poorly and lazily designed and in its current state it will never EVER be a good addition to a game that even dreams of being skill-based.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Side with the corpus, everything is infront of you in cross fire, so its easy to pick targets, void tiles are big and its easy to spot out eximus targets, and its 5 meter radius isnt that hard to avoid. I just honestly don't find them to be that big of a problem, annoying sure, but not nearly as annoying as a frost nullifier.

What if I don't want to side with the corpus because the grineer are offering somthing I need?

Just now, Sormatte said:

What if I don't want to side with the corpus because the grineer are offering somthing I need?

Well then you plan ahead, if you fear there are going to be shock eximus, then bring a frame/weapon that can clear them out easily without getting close, theres always a counter. Melee playstyle players can do this as well, its called a channeled redeemer shot. 

Just now, Venomzz0 said:

So if it's a grinner catalyst vs 50k corpus one should side only with the grineer ever because this enemy is an arbitrary energy tax? Yes everything is in front of you in crossfire, but depending on the tile and door positions you won't be able to see the unit until after you've been struck by their aura. Not all void tiles are "big" and many don't have flat planes of open space. Many are multi level, multi door, and it's incredibly easy for eximus to sneak up on you or have their aura affect you between thin walls or levels.

The issues isn't that it's hard, the issue is that the game creates scenarios where you have no possibility of avoiding the effect. It's not skill that saves most people from these eximus now or before, half the time it's just luck. Tiles, combinations of rooms, and the eximus running after your allies instead of you all contribute to very different experiences with this unit.

Well then you plan ahead, if you fear there are going to be shock eximus, then bring a frame/weapon that can clear them out easily without getting close, theres always a counter. Melee playstyle players can do this as well, its called a channeled redeemer shot. 

If we could bring more than one melee weapon into the mission I could agree with you for the last part. But we can't. Having to use a single weapon exclusively to deal with shock eximi is just stupid.

47 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

You get energy orbs, use consumable, go zenurik focus, yell at trin to ev near you.

Picking up energy orbs while the proc is active removes the orb with no gain. It's a nightmare for carrier users, as it removes all spare energy within a large radius. Also, balancing the game around using consumables every single time an eximus spawns is a terrible idea. I'm quite frankly surprised that the Zenurik regen hasn't gotten the axe yet (I won't doubt it will eventually), and EV Trin is a whole 'nother debate.

The fact of the matter is, the Shock Eximus aura is way more annoying and powerful compared to other Eximii. It's a Parasitic Eximus on steroids. Why a SHOCK Eximus is even dealing MAGNETIC procs in the first place is beyond me. The unit should simply function as a mobile arc trap, with a gradual energy drain attached to the damage it deals. DE could also fix them by making magnetic procs less potent; massive shield reduction, complete energy drain, and temporary inability to cast abilities is way over the top for a single proc.

Edited by Nitresco
"termporary"

58 minutes ago, Stardrinker said:

And if you don't want to use Zenurik? And if you want to use Quick Thinking?

Quick thinking is very situational mod to begin with. You use it on trinity or extremely tanky frames like atlas, valkyr etc. I've always been of opinion that trying to put it on a caster like Loki, nova or mirage is borderline idiotic. 

Max vitality and redirection allow every frame to tank a few stray shots in third sortie, the hardest part of game that's supposed to be playable. 

But thing is, I remember reading in ps4 patch notes that ability to apply magnetic proc was removed from both ancient disruptor and shock eximus intentionally. 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Lord_Gremlin said:

Quick thinking is very situational mod to begin with. You use it on trinity or extremely tanky frames like atlas, valkyr etc. I've always been of opinion that trying to put it on a caster like Loki, nova or mirage is borderline idiotic. 

Max vitality and redirection allow every frame to tank a few stray shots in third sortie, the hardest part of game that's supposed to be playable. 

But thing is, I remember reading in ps4 patch notes that ability to apply magnetic proc was removed from both ancient disruptor and shock eximus intentionally. 

You do realize that Quick Thinking at max is 240% efficient. That means that even a paltry 300 energy is actually 720 health. With Primed Flow some Frames can get 500 - 800 energy. That is far more effective than regular health and it also recieves the Armor the frame's health gets. Any caster frame with high efficency is dumb not to take.

top tips for killing Shock Eximus Enemies.

- prioritize them. you should always focus on ANY Eximus because they all have some annoying ability, whether it be a guaranteed fiery knockdown, unwanted slow-mo or energy drain. can't really miss them when they low orange and are bigger than most other enemies either.

- prepare for the possibility of losing your energy. take energy restores, and use Zenurik passive if you have it.

and most important of all...

- git gud.

28 minutes ago, Venomzz0 said:

But a channeled redeemer shot means limiting yourself to only a single melee weapon just to fight this particular enemy, I thought the fun of melee 2.0 was that you can take any melee weapon and use it without worrying about being able to counter enemies, at least up until regular level missions?

I seem to recall that for this very cheapness was the reason the magnetic effect was removed from these guys,as well as ancients.