The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not Trying To Be Nerdy But Would Warframe Make A Good Anime?

While I like various shows and mangas myself, I feel Warframe is rather ill-suited for such a coverage should it focus on the Tenno. Tenno are relatively silent beings, even after Second Dream, thus conversation is a little bit on the back foot. Plenty of fanart-makers have made comics where warframes speak, but they´re just following their fancy, and not holding to the solid structures. They probably have internal communications' systems which they use to interact with teammates, possibly exemplified by the in-game chats, but we know they´re not really a vocal group. How they speak to the denizens of the relays is probably a bit more specialized.

Other characters could´ve made for a somewhat fine storyline, but I´d like to keep Warframe and anime separate. See too many around who associate the two a little too hard. Frankly I don´t want to see warframes with faces even.

7 minutes ago, Robin-da-Reaper said:

While I like various shows and mangas myself, I feel Warframe is rather ill-suited for such a coverage should it focus on the Tenno. Tenno are relatively silent beings, even after Second Dream, thus conversation is a little bit on the back foot. Plenty of fanart-makers have made comics where warframes speak, but they´re just following their fancy, and not holding to the solid structures. They probably have internal communications' systems which they use to interact with teammates, possibly exemplified by the in-game chats, but we know they´re not really a vocal group. How they speak to the denizens of the relays is probably a bit more specialized.

Other characters could´ve made for a somewhat fine storyline, but I´d like to keep Warframe and anime separate. See too many around who associate the two a little too hard. Frankly I don´t want to see warframes with faces even.

Minimalist dialogue wouldn't be too bad done properly. It's not anime, but Samurai Jack did a good job with it.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake
Words

8 minutes ago, Robin-da-Reaper said:

While I like various shows and mangas myself, I feel Warframe is rather ill-suited for such a coverage should it focus on the Tenno. Tenno are relatively silent beings, even after Second Dream, thus conversation is a little bit on the back foot. Plenty of fanart-makers have made comics where warframes speak, but they´re just following their fancy, and not holding to the solid structures. They probably have internal communications' systems which they use to interact with teammates, possibly exemplified by the in-game chats, but we know they´re not really a vocal group.

Actually I beg to differ. Many animes are known and even satired for their extremely long, drawn out dialogue-free sequences where you have rooms full of people just staring at eachother from one comercial break to another.

To the OP, while I think it would be really dramatic and campy, I could see Warframe as an anime in a lot of respects. That being said, I dont think its a good idea lol

Edited by DJ_Redwire
typo

Just now, PsychedelicSnake said:

Minimalist dialogue wouldn't be too bad done properly. It's not anime, but Samurai Jack did a good job with it.

Holy crap, I was typing the exact same thing. Basically just hire Genndy Tartakovsky to do the Warframe animated series, and you're set.

Just now, Tain_OSkoom said:

Holy crap, I was typing the exact same thing. Basically just hire Genndy Tartakovsky to do the Warframe animated series, and you're set.

Oh man, I'd be so hyped for that. Minimalist art + minimalist dialogue + sick fighting = I can't throw my money any harder.

Yes and no.

No, because although the warframes are interesting, they don't say anything. The operator might have an internal dialog going on, but unless they're fighting they aren't that interesting and mostly just stand around. You can't really use them to tell a story. They can be part of it, but can't really be central to it.

Yes, because the world itself is interesting and the warframes are a good backdrop for other things. Now if you center your story around some of what we see as NPCs in the game, there's something that you can use as a story hook.

So, essentially you'd have to tell a story from a human perspective in the Warframe universe. The tenno themselves would have to remain as backdrop with NPCs like the Queens. Capt. Vor, AladV, Maroo, Darvo or even a few random colonists that are central to the story and moving it forward. The tenno would be around, but that's about as far as it could go.

Edited by Sloan441
Really poor proofreading and epic run-on sentences, which are still there, but less...epic.

Given the direction the actual narrative of the story has gone with Second Dream. I could only see Warframe as good anime material done in vignettes told from the perspective of the differing enemy factions and/or Stalker. 

The fighting and designs are definitely good fodder for mecha style anime, the story throws the concept off to me.

An Anime based off this though...

It would be pretty epic, provided you had a good action-oriented studio doing it, like Trigger or Madhouse.

Unfortunately, the cost to actually produce the amazing things we see today is fairly astronomical. Moreso in that they need to make most of their money back in merchandising and other external means.

19 minutes ago, direcyphre said:

It would be pretty epic, provided you had a good action-oriented studio doing it, like Trigger or Madhouse.

I'd love a Warframe anime as gory as Hellsing Ultimate.

Don't forget about the gun pron.

Edited by Darkwave1098