The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx skin+helmet WIP

8 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

Don't worry about PBR stuff, go with metalness workflow on everything and you'll be A+ good. They will add whatever you're missing in terms of PBR detail.

They did that on the Chroma helmet, for example... there are no scales or leather-like details on the content files provided, but they added them in (probably in Substance Painter, with presets they used on the rest of the body) after I submitted my files. I think they do have some of their Substance Painter stuff somewhere out there.

It's common practice to build a shader with a secondary detail normal that shows up only on a very close distance with the camera, is that what you're talking about? 

Warframe have that function.

Quick update. First texture tests.

Checking normals and material in Tennogen preview:
kowIr0v.png

Some color variations from Substance Painter
F4fFRUc.png

Somewhere mid-way. Will update sculpt in couple of places, add more indents for emissive map, stuff. Color scheme not final.
I'm not even sure if I'll end up using metalness or specular.

Still working on the helmet sculpt.

Looking really good man. Only thing that seems off to me are the 'gems' on the chest don't have any of the usual edging details around them. This leaves them feeling a bit flat instead of embedded like they feel elsewhere on the mesh.

Also, there are these nice metal strips in the mid torso, but I don't see them elsewhere on the model and it feels like they should be represented on the legs and arms somewhere. Might just be the renders though.

2 hours ago, novabjorn said:

Looking really good man. Only thing that seems off to me are the 'gems' on the chest don't have any of the usual edging details around them. This leaves them feeling a bit flat instead of embedded like they feel elsewhere on the mesh.

Also, there are these nice metal strips in the mid torso, but I don't see them elsewhere on the model and it feels like they should be represented on the legs and arms somewhere. Might just be the renders though.

I'll look into it, thanks. 
I've actually been thinking about redoing the gems on the chest slightly, something about them bothers me slightly. Could be the edges like you pointed out, could be their placement and size.

2 hours ago, Plushy said:

Are the dots supposed to have a PBR metalic look to them like the gold on primes? I can't tell. 

Yes and no. Kind of.

I levy this criticism to a lot of people, but you should create more edges around your cut lines. Doing this would help the details pop out, would help remove some of the wobbliness of the normals, and give it a more organic/3D feel. Here's what I mean, where A represents the large flat areas of your skin and B is the extra edges, albeit exaggerated:

EdgingExample.jpg

EdgingExample3.jpg

EdgingExample2.jpg

Some in-game examples include Excalibur's Mordred helmet, where there are clear edges around the lines to make the surface stand out more and feel less flat. This can also be seen on the more recent additions such as Feyarch Oberon skin, Saryn Prime, Gersemi Valkyr, Strega Trinity, etc etc. It is especially apparent on frames such as Equinox and Wukong.

Edited by alexmach1

On 19/04/2016 at 11:39 AM, alexmach1 said:

I levy this criticism to a lot of people, but you should create more edges around your cut lines. Doing this would help the details pop out, would help remove some of the wobbliness of the normals, and give it a more organic/3D feel. Here's what I mean, where A represents the large flat areas of your skin and B is the extra edges, albeit exaggerated:

Some in-game examples include Excalibur's Mordred helmet, where there are clear edges around the lines to make the surface stand out more and feel less flat. This can also be seen on the more recent additions such as Feyarch Oberon skin, Saryn Prime, Gersemi Valkyr, Strega Trinity, etc etc. It is especially apparent on frames such as Equinox and Wukong.

Wow, you really nailed it. I also tried the method on polycount's art dump thread, but still too incompetent to replicate it

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit unsure of the size of those gems. I think smaller and more spread out woild look nicer.

This skin though - it is now my favourite rework of all the warframes and if this was in the game,  I would consider this Nyx Gersemi if you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

I am liking the skin a lot!! Nyx is my favorite female warframe. The only thing I find weird are the gems. They don't look like gems, instead they look like boils on her body or something else. Like infested parts. Maybe if they had a casing around them like you would see on a ring's gem or a necklace's gem. Maybe metallic or similar so you had the option to color the casings gold. I'm not sure if people understand what casings mean though. Something that makes it stand out of her outfit so that they look like decorative gems, instead of looking like they are inside of her suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...