Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Defectors Cords, what to do with?

HadrosaurHero

Question

Just a quick question before I make a decision, what happens when I give the cords that are awarded after Kala's defeat? Say I give it to the Steel, what do they do, and what would happen if I give them to the cephalon suda (my top syndicate).

You can actually give them to any syndicate, not just the ones that talk at you about it. Gives you 10,000 standing, as Swordabear said. Now, lorewise, here's what happens:

• Steel Meridian: They join Steel Meridian's fight against the oppressive Grineer empire, attempting to liberate and protect the colonies and their citizens.
  • Arbiters of Hexis view deserting as an extremely dishonorable act, no matter how terrible your faction was, or whether you had any choice in joining it. The Arbiters of Hexis will give the defectors a trial of the non-rigged variety. The verdict, of course, is a foregone conclusion, but sentencing details are unknown.
  • Cephalon Suda: Fascinated by these defectors, and curious as to what might make them choose to defect, Suda plans to find out by systematically dematerialize them for study. The downside? This kills them.
  • Perrin Sequence: Due to the "bitter competition" between them and Steel Meridian, Perrin automatically dislikes anyone who wishes to join Steel Meridian, such as the Grineer defectors in question, and wants these "criminals" to pay for Steel Meridian's sabotage of Perrin property, despite the fact that the defectors, having not yet joined Steel Meridian, would have had no part in that. Details of punishment unknown.
  • Red Veil will thoroughly "interrogate" (i.e., torture) the defectors and attempt to determine their intentions and whether they are worth sending to join Steel Meridian. If Red Veil decides the answer is "no", then they will be "purged" (i.e., executed).
  • New Loka will "give these defectors the fate they deserve", judging whether they are "pure" by Loka's definition (hint: they're not--they're Grineer*). If not, they will be "cleansed" (hint: this is murder)

*Technically, since they've defected, they are no longer Grineer, but the point remains. In New Loka's eyes, they are irredeemable and their very existence is a crime punishable by death.

Edited by AgentSkye
Fixed a typo. A word had also used Decoy; its duration has now expired

24 minutes ago, AgentSkye said:

You can actually give them to any syndicate, not just the ones that talk at you about it. Gives you 10,000 standing, as Swordabear said. Now, lorewise, here's what happens:

• Steel Meridian: They join Steel Meridian's fight against the oppressive Grineer empire, attempting to liberate and protect the colonies and their citizens.
  • Arbiters of Hexis view deserting as an extremely dishonorable act, no matter how terrible your faction was, or whether you had any choice in joining it. The Arbiters of Hexis will give the defectors a trial of the non-rigged variety. The verdict, of course, is a foregone conclusion, but sentencing details are unknown.
  • Cephalon Suda: Fascinated by these defectors, and curious as to what might make them choose to defect, Suda plans to find out by systematically dematerialize them for study. The downside? This kills them.
  • Perrin Sequence: Due to the "bitter competition" between them and Steel Meridian, Perrin automatically dislikes anyone who wishes to join Steel Meridian, such as the Grineer defectors in question, and wants these "criminals" to pay for Steel Meridian's sabotage of Perrin property, despite the fact that the defectors, having not yet joined Steel Meridian, would have had no part in that. Details of punishment unknown.
  • Red Veil will thoroughly "interrogate" (i.e., torture) the defectors and attempt to determine whether their intentions and whether they are worth sending to join Steel Meridian. If Red Veil decides the answer is "no", then they will be "purged" (i.e., executed).
  • New Loka will "give these defectors the fate they deserve", judging whether they are "pure" by Loka's definition (hint: they're not--they're Grineer*). If not, they will be "cleansed" (hint: this is murder)

*Technically, since they've defected, they are no longer Grineer, but the point remains. In New Loka's eyes, they are irredeemable and their very existence is a crime punishable by death.

Now, not to defend red veil here, because I know that they're gonna torture rather than question, but they aren't judging how worthy that are, but rather discerning if they are actually grineer spies.

Edited by bowiespoon

10 minutes ago, bowiespoon said:

Now, not to defend red veil here, because I know that they're gonna torture rather than question, but they aren't judging how worthy that are, but rather discerning if they are actually grineer spies.

That's what I meant by "determine ... their intentions". Ignore the first "whether"--this sentence was a victim of rephrasing. I've fixed it.

But yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it to make that clear, and I didn't spend enough time on it.

Edited by AgentSkye

1 hour ago, AgentSkye said:

I can't help but think this fact was overlooked when they wrote the dialogue for this event. They've said before that Grineer is an empire - anyone that serves the Queens is a Grineer, regardless of whether they're a clone soldier or not. Likewise, clone soldiers that have defected to Steel Meridian are no longer Grineer.

However, Steel Meridian girl (who we now know is named Cressa Mal) repeatedly referred to them as Grineer, even though they've defected.

58 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I can't help but think this fact was overlooked when they wrote the dialogue for this event. They've said before that Grineer is an empire - anyone that serves the Queens is a Grineer, regardless of whether they're a clone soldier or not. Likewise, clone soldiers that have defected to Steel Meridian are no longer Grineer.

However, Steel Meridian girl (who we now know is named Cressa Mal) repeatedly referred to them as Grineer, even though they've defected.

We know from Simaris lore that they have been called Grineer, since a long time ago, before they made the empire, they all carry the cloning disease, they are practically a different race, loyal or not make sense to call this type of genetically associated individuals grineer.

10 minutes ago, Pavelord said:

We know from Simaris lore that they have been called Grineer, since a long time ago, before they made the empire, they all carry the cloning disease, they are practically a different race, loyal or not make sense to call this type of genetically associated individuals grineer.

Moreover, what would we call them instead if not Grineer?  

3 hours ago, HadrosaurHero said:

Just a quick question before I make a decision, what happens when I give the cords that are awarded after Kala's defeat? Say I give it to the Steel, what do they do, and what would happen if I give them to the cephalon suda (my top syndicate).

Suda murders them.

3 minutes ago, DJ_Redwire said:

Moreover, what would we call them instead if not Grineer?  

Regor seems fond of calling them Tubemen. That seems to be a fairly neutral title that fits.

1 hour ago, AgentSkye said:

• Red Veil will thoroughly "interrogate" (i.e., torture) the defectors and attempt to determine their intentions and whether they are worth sending to join Steel Meridian. If Red Veil decides the answer is "no", then they will be "purged" (i.e., executed).

To be fair, knowing Perrin Sequence, they probably just want them to, quite literally, pay. Still a little unfair when they aren't actually in Meridian yet, but business is business.

3 minutes ago, Mints said:

Regor seems fond of calling them Tubemen. That seems to be a fairly neutral title that fits.

"Tubemen" is specifically referring to the 'evolved' Grineer units he personally has been manufacturing in his facilities as of recently - not the Grineer race itself.

2 hours ago, AgentSkye said:

"We reject the Corpus Doctrine that conflict is profitable. It's all about peace for everyone, we swear!"

"Of course we won't actually lift a finger to defend colonists from The Grineer empire and instead persecute the guys that want to Join the faction that actually is helping keep the peace."

"We're not doing this because a bunch of Grineer defectors do a better job than we do, makes us look bad, and asks us to actually put our money where our mouth is out of spite! It's because of "bitter competition"!"

Edited by (XB1)PompousNinja156

20 minutes ago, DJ_Redwire said:

"Tubemen" is specifically referring to the 'evolved' Grineer units he personally has been manufacturing in his facilities as of recently - not the Grineer race itself.

Seems like a fair enough title to me. They're all grown in tubes whether they're Regor's pet freaks or not.

3 hours ago, AgentSkye said:

This is a fallacious lie. Purity is not a thing you are born into. We simply strive for the purity of those who walked before us on greener fields.

Tenno can be pure, or twisted abominations. So too can all sapient life.

The idea that the Grineer can be separated from their warmongering faction/race into nurturing individuals is new. Steel Meridian have proven themselves time and time again to be as shortsighted as the very thing they rebel against. Perhaps these defectors can rise above their weak will.

The ultimate repercussions of this development are unknown. But if Grineer can prove themselves to be pure, they are welcome. Unlike some factions, we do not judge you on what you once did. Our concern is the future. All those willing to aid in its shaping are welcome.

4 hours ago, AgentSkye said:

This kills the defector.

Interestingly enough, Suda sounds really jealous when she talks to you. 

5 hours ago, AgentSkye said:
  • *Technically, since they've defected, they are no longer Grineer, but the point remains. In New Loka's eyes, they are irredeemable and their very existence is a crime punishable by death.

Hexis actually made specific references to determining which of them were war criminals in their message. That said, I am unsure whether the Arbiters would determine being a military Grineer to be a war crime in itself.

2 hours ago, Roboplus said:

This is a fallacious lie. Purity is not a thing you are born into. We simply strive for the purity of those who walked before us on greener fields.

The idea that the Grineer can be separated from their warmongering faction/race into nurturing individuals is new. Steel Meridian have proven themselves time and time again to be as shortsighted as the very thing they rebel against. Perhaps these defectors can rise above their weak will.

The ultimate repercussions of this development are unknown. But if Grineer can prove themselves to be pure, they are welcome. Unlike some factions, we do not judge you on what you once did. Our concern is the future. All those willing to aid in its shaping are welcome.

It's hard to trust someone who goes on about the 'purity of the human race' and 'turning away from the technological meddling that corrupted Earth,' then turns around and uses the Infested to kill people they don't like.

Ugh.... So I HAVE to give these guys up to the normal syndicates? Can't I like... give them to Lotus for some some brownie-points (sweg), or sell them to Darvo? Or better yet, trade them to Teshin for points. He's actually got stuff I want. 

I'm on of those weird people who have no intention of grouping myself with any faction for multiple reasons. Lore reason is that I, as a Tenno who's job is to uphold the balance by the means that I think is right, find it counter to that goal if I just throw myself under the boot of some other third party. They treat us like lower class, regardless of the fact that they need us, not the other way around. And a shiny bauble or two is not reason enough to cause further imbalance. 

Practical reason is that the stuff they offer is not worth me getting hit-squads put on me. So far, I have only been interested in ONE augment mod, and I got that through trading, for free. And the weapons I can't be arsed with. They are fancy and powerful, yes. But I honestly don't feel like fiddling my way up for them when every single one of them I can remember is not to my tastes for some reason or other and thus mastery fodder. MR 20 is good enough for me right now. thank you. 

If I could do the circuit and then zero all my standing so I am neutral with all of them. Sure, I might be arsed. But until that point, I'll remain a ghost within the origin system. Quietly doing my thing in the shadows. Like a ninja. 

8 hours ago, XRosenkreuz said:

It's hard to trust someone who goes on about the 'purity of the human race' and 'turning away from the technological meddling that corrupted Earth,' then turns around and uses the Infested to kill people they don't like.

What a weak and tired position.

The infested in our employ are merely tools under our control. If they complete their task, they will return to us. If they do not, we will acquire more. If you see harm in that, then you must see Cuda's and Meridian's use of drones equally abhorrent. For the only difference between them are the materials from which they are comprised.

For that matter, perhaps you should take a closer look at Hexis. Does their use of Corrupted make them any better than macabre puppetmasters, pulling the strings of the dead to dance at their beckon? Maybe the Corrupted could even be freed of their horrifying fate, were they not re-purposed from killing for one machine to killing for a political machine.

And yet we are the ones so often mistakenly referred to as evil.

15 hours ago, XRosenkreuz said:

To be fair, knowing Perrin Sequence, they probably just want them to, quite literally, pay. Still a little unfair when they aren't actually in Meridian yet, but business is business.

Another instance of poor wording on my part. The word "pay" was not used (except by me) and the implication seemed to be that they weren't looking to fine anyone. Which is kind of surprising, really.

13 hours ago, Roboplus said:

Yyyeaahhh, that's your own personal view, which is far more reasonable than what seems to be implied by actual lore to be New Loka's official stance. 'course, that's off memory, and I could be wrong, but I've never seen anything to indicate New Loka's definition of purity has anything to do with personal values. From what I know, they believe the Grineer should be eradicated, or "cleansed" not because they're an evil, oppressive empire, but because they are genetically impure and stand in the way of reclaiming Earth. Renouncing Grineer doctrine does little to nothing to improve the defectors' "purity" in the eyes of New Loka.

14 hours ago, Roboplus said:

Steel Meridian have proven themselves time and time again to be as shortsighted as the very thing they rebel against.

Wait, what? Is there any actual in-game lore I missed that supports this claim, or is this just your personal headcanon that you are stating as though it were established fact?

So does it only give positive standing with whatever faction you give it to without a negative standing with others? I only ask because I got very confused as to where I have to give the item to, and I thought I had to join SM in order to give it to them. I have said it before in other topics, but I never joined a syndicate due to the whole issue of the death squads and even so, now I accidentally joined SM and hope that by giving them the item, I won't get marked for the other side just because of an event.

2 hours ago, AgentScarlet said:

Wait, what? Is there any actual in-game lore I missed that supports this claim, or is this just your personal headcanon that you are stating as though it were established fact?

Rather than working towards a defined goal, Steel Meridian place their efforts in protecting colonists. Admirable, maybe even virtuous, but ultimately fruitless.

The vast majority of colonists are just civilians. They exist as little more than expensive pets. They can speak or do a few tricks, but most of the time they just eat and poop. Any intrinsic value you feel their lives may have is betrayed by the lives they cost; those who have fallen in protecting them.

Those with more foresight, like every other faction, have long-since come to understand that and left them to their own devices. Even Red Veil, Meridian's own ally, could care less about those unwilling to stand up and fight for a cause.

Cruel? Admittedly. But that's the reality of war.

3 hours ago, AgentSkye said:

From what I know, they believe the Grineer should be eradicated, or "cleansed" not because they're an evil, oppressive empire, but because they are genetically impure and stand in the way of reclaiming Earth. Renouncing Grineer doctrine does little to nothing to improve the defectors' "purity" in the eyes of New Loka.

The Grineer deserve to be eradicated not because of their genetic tampering, but because of the genetic tampering they continue to do. They actively flee humanity in favor of their own twisted views of perfection. But an individual is completely incapable of changing how, or in what condition, they were born.

That is why it is up to the actions we take to define our purity. Lest you forget, Tenno- Operator, that we are not human either. Humans cannot do what we can do. Yet even our humanity can be "a beacon for all".

24 minutes ago, Kaisty said:

So does it only give positive standing with whatever faction you give it to without a negative standing with others? I only ask because I got very confused as to where I have to give the item to, and I thought I had to join SM in order to give it to them. I have said it before in other topics, but I never joined a syndicate due to the whole issue of the death squads and even so, now I accidentally joined SM and hope that by giving them the item, I won't get marked for the other side just because of an event.

You can find out by checking your Syndicate Console or the Syndicate tab in your profile.

Edited by Roboplus
Maybe you'd like to join us?