Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whose Played the Overwatch Beta?

(PSN)joshw1400

I have enjoyed it. I love that there is strategy and it's like there's a class for most every play style. The pace of the movements seem good, too. Would be nice if Warframe PvP was more like Overwatch, but Warframe is PvE first, PvP a side dish.

I do have a couple gripes about Overwatch, tho. There are characters with what's basically a one-two kill that have no counter-play, namely Roadhog with their chain, and McCree with the flashbang. In Warframe, those are the equivalent of a Jat Kittag slam and shotgun blast. Feels cheap given how often that sort of stuff can be pulled off. There are ults that can almost certainly mean death, but those are ults, not less than 10sec cool down powers.

There are also a number of powers that grant instant invulnerability and healing.

I'm unsure if having stun-kill combos balances out instant invuln+heal, but it is very easy to die, and in various ways, easy to hose up your opponents and put them in checkmate...over and over and over.

it is pretty great, though one thing that irks me slightly (not gameplay related) is that there won't be a campaign, which is a terrible shame as there's actually quite a bit of lore: the old conflicts, Morrison's change to Soldier: 76, Winston's origins, the brothers Hanzo and Genji, and the reasons for Blackwidow and Reaper doing evil stuff like killing that important robot guy. I would have loved to see some of these characters fleshed out more, and learn more about the world of Overwatch.

but I still like the Beta, and might consider getting the full release.

I played it most of today and had an absolute blast

Played a few with @izzatuw and we had some awesome games.

And yeah, I am a dirty Bastion picker, but that is only because my desire to win is higher than my standard of morality

I prefer McCree, Pharah, Tracer, Black Widow and Road Hog though.

Edited by Sixty5

12 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

I played it most of today and had an absolute blast

Played a few with @izzatuw and we had some awesome games.

Reveal hidden contents

And yeah, I am a dirty Bastion picker, but that is only because my desire to win is higher than my standard of morality

I prefer McCree, Pharah, Tracer, Black Widow and Road Hog though.

Mercy.

On 5/7/2016 at 5:34 AM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it is pretty great, though one thing that irks me slightly (not gameplay related) is that there won't be a campaign, which is a terrible shame as there's actually quite a bit of lore: the old conflicts, Morrison's change to Soldier: 76, Winston's origins, the brothers Hanzo and Genji, and the reasons for Blackwidow and Reaper doing evil stuff like killing that important robot guy. I would have loved to see some of these characters fleshed out more, and learn more about the world of Overwatch.

but I still like the Beta, and might consider getting the full release.

Yes exactly, i'm not sure why blizzard would bother to stuff as much lore and background into the overwatch universe as possible if nothing is going to be done with it.

It feels like they are trying to create a more competitive game that will reach such heights as league of legends. Unfortunately league is free. This game will be 40 bucks.

Also how would they make a campaign. Given the way the game is set up, a campaign would be rather difficult. Could anyone imagine a tf2 campaign? A league of legends campaign?

The progression system seems kinda lackluster to me. All heroes are unlocked, so cosmetics are the only thing to work for. And i'm not all too excited about cosmetics. What is there to keep players playing?

50 minutes ago, sushibend said:

Yes exactly, i'm not sure why blizzard would bother to stuff as much lore and background into the overwatch universe as possible if nothing is going to be done with it.

It feels like they are trying to create a more competitive game that will reach such heights as league of legends. Unfortunately league is free. This game will be 40 bucks.

Also how would they make a campaign. Given the way the game is set up, a campaign would be rather difficult. Could anyone imagine a tf2 campaign? A league of legends campaign?

The progression system seems kinda lackluster to me. All heroes are unlocked, so cosmetics are the only thing to work for. And i'm not all too excited about cosmetics. What is there to keep players playing?

$60, not 40.

Some people are (I for one like unlocking cosmetics, though I'd rather earn them) and the fun keeps players playing, I got bored with the Gears 4 beta after about 3 matches, 30 or 40 matches into Overwatch and I'm still having fun.

3 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

$60, not 40.

Some people are (I for one like unlocking cosmetics, though I'd rather earn them) and the fun keeps players playing, I got bored with the Gears 4 beta after about 3 matches, 30 or 40 matches into Overwatch and I'm still having fun.

Pretty sure the game costs 40 and the origins edition 60. Probably different for consoles tho. 

The beta was great. Really enjoying zenyatta and mercy, though Mei is cool too. 

Edited by Skycook3y

Played a fair amount the last couple days, had a lot of fun with it.  Hours flew by.

Glad there are supports who can heal without having to be 24/7 tethered to someone. Ran Mercy a little, but felt much better with Lucio and Zenyatta.

I played a little bit of it, but not much because I don't intend to ever buy it.

The actual gameplay is fun, but the end of every match is the stuff of nightmares. You get hit with half a dozens screens of infodump, and you have to chew through it all while all the other players (and the game) judge you for your slowness. That part's pretty off-putting.

The price is right for what it is, although I don't have room in my life for a game like Overwatch right now.

15 hours ago, Skycook3y said:

Pretty sure the game costs 40 and the origins edition 60. Probably different for consoles tho. 

The beta was great. Really enjoying zenyatta and mercy, though Mei is cool too. 

Huh. I checked the Xbox store, the only edition is Origins. If the regular is only $40, we'll see if it becomes available on launch day.

1 minute ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

Huh. I checked the Xbox store, the only edition is Origins. If the regular is only $40, we'll see if it becomes available on launch day.

Might be that there is no normal edition on consoles. You still get extra cosmetics...so there's that.

1 minute ago, Skycook3y said:

Might be that there is no normal edition on consoles. You still get extra cosmetics...so there's that.

Eh, I don't know. Microsoft has pulled this kind of crap in the past, where you can only pre-order a more expensive edition, and then on launch day they allow you to purchase the standard. 

1 hour ago, Sixty5 said:

I've been playing a bunch of Pharah, and have found it awesome. I feel like she has the power to beat every other hero in the game if she plays it right.

Plus knocking people off the map feels so good 

Pharah, Bastion, Genji, and Soldier 76 need to get nerfed into the ground.