Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sobek w/ mod versus Hek w/ augment?

Xekrin

Question

I really enjoy the vaykor hek.  I never bothered getting the original hek beyond MR, and although I did forma the boar at the start of sorties just to have a shotgun for them, I don't like having multiples of a weapon type.  Especially when they do pretty much the same thing.  I didn't keep the Sobek when I first ranked it up, so now I'm wondering should I get it again?

I know the damage from the sobek mod scales and all, but is it worth it just for that?  Whenever I take a shotgun into a mission it is to try very hard to one shot things, especially things like heavy eximus, which my vaykor hek does pretty well.  I'm not so sure about the sobek though.  I would very much like some opinions from those who have both and prefer either.

11 answers to this question

It's not better than the Vaykor Hek, but it's still pretty good. Proper aiming, squad buffing (roar, sonar spots, etc), and proper modding will lead to it continuing to be useful even beyond early levels. Vaykor Hek and Sancti Tigris are still useful out of the box and more useful than Sobek on the long term.

Also, keep in mind that the Sobek has an Augment, too.  You can equip both the Augment and the new Acid Shells mod and it becomes a very, very unique weapon.  Total status monster.

Not saying it's better than the Vaykor Hek or the Sancti Tigris, but I do believe it makes a better status gun than either one.  Depending on which Status you choose to mod for, it can be quite good.

Sobek+Augment is one of if not the best Star Chart weapons now. It decimates... everything. Without Forma it was still doing pretty good at level 50 enemies in T3 Survival. Sure it can't beat the other shotys in single target DPS, but spending 2x the time to kill one enemy to then kill every enemy around them is well worth it. Also, Saryn+Sobek is hilarious (along with Jet Kitty).

10 hours ago, chuckdm said:

Also, keep in mind that the Sobek has an Augment, too.

I actually did not even pay attention to that fact.  That does make a difference.  I think I shall get the sobek and set it up for 

2 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Saryn+Sobek is hilarious

because I love my Saryn.

Both have a syndicate blast, but the Sobek is more status while Vaykor is more crit. With the correct element, Sobek will sCale better against enemy types or just provide a significant amount of CC at its worst.

With Vaykor Hek, once the damage drops out, there's not much else going for it except for the occasional proc of syndicate blast.

This is considering super late game, so unless you're going to lvl 100+ enemies, the difference between the two is negligible and is entirely up to your taste

On 5/6/2016 at 3:41 AM, Xekrin said:

I really enjoy the vaykor hek.  I never bothered getting the original hek beyond MR, and although I did forma the boar at the start of sorties just to have a shotgun for them, I don't like having multiples of a weapon type.  Especially when they do pretty much the same thing.  I didn't keep the Sobek when I first ranked it up, so now I'm wondering should I get it again?

I know the damage from the sobek mod scales and all, but is it worth it just for that?  Whenever I take a shotgun into a mission it is to try very hard to one shot things, especially things like heavy eximus, which my vaykor hek does pretty well.  I'm not so sure about the sobek though.  I would very much like some opinions from those who have both and prefer either.

Sobek with a good build on it starts becoming useless after like 40 mins of T-4 survival. Hek scales quite a bit better. But if you really want to one shot things, get any variation of the Tigris.

1 minute ago, BecauseJavier said:

Sobek with a good build on it starts becoming useless after like 40 mins of T-4 survival. Hek scales quite a bit better. But if you really want to one shot things, get any variation of the Tigris.

Yes I have Sancti Tigris, I chose hek for comparison because of the mag size mainly.  I wasn't really expecting to one shot things with a shotgun designed to be semi-auto though, just wondering how if faired with the new mod.  I may make it anyway just for the status aspect since Saryn is all about that gas.

On 6.5.2016 at 10:41 PM, Xekrin said:

Sobek with the new mod "Acid Shells" is kicking some serious ***. Especially against infested. Haven't tryed much against corpus yet but against armored grineer it's not thaaaat awesome so you could go with hek there. But infested? You shoot one boiler and the rest around him either dies, or gets left with a little bit of hp. Ammo efficiency over the top and really crowd-crushing. This works especially well with sonar since the explosions scales off of sonar spots. Mprime works too. This weapon definitely kicks with the big boys in the higher tiers.

13 hours ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

Sobek is automatic, Vaykor Hek and Sancti Tigris are not, so only the base damage is not enough clue. Well, those are syndicate versions and Sobek is a default weapon, so it's obvious Sobek is not supposed to be as strong.

As a former Sobek user, I can attest that I rarely, if ever, fire the damn thing in full-auto.