Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PLS BUFF BIRD PERSON!!

DarkMutant

If you have played bird person (aka. Zephyr) in this state you should automatically know why people don't play her anymore.

BECAUSE SHE IS S#&$.

Her kit is a joke and definately needs some changes. (This is my opinion so this might be a S#&$ty post).

Starting with passive... pls almighty DE make her passive so when u aim with weps or melee you get to hover instead of slowly fall, since birdies fly.

For her 1st shove the 2nd inside and make it switchable like booben 2nd and ivara 1st OR make a specific ability enable on exactly WHERE you're looking at or which state are at. (EXAMPLE: looking forward makes you do the forward flying thing if on ground or midair, looking upward makes you do the upward flying thing if on ground or midair, looking downward while midair makes you hit the ground.

For her 2nd (which is probably merged with 1st now) make it do more damage the higher you descend from. For the actual second I have no ideas...

For her 3rd (no change absolutely perfect)

For her 4th (Probs a small damage buff would do)

Edited by DarkMutant
I felt like it

Just now, residente said:

I wouldn't mind 50 less base shield and 50 more base energy tho. I don't realy understand Zephyr's stats.

If they were to buff her armor and energy at the same time that would be one thing, but to drop the shields and health without adding stats just because "it's overkill" doesn't make sense to me. Zephyr has 15 base armor, without an armor buff she kind of needs some other stats that benefit her defensively, especially since she's designed to be in the air and exposed to the enemy constantly. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

If they were to buff her armor and energy at the same time that would be one thing, but to drop the shields and health without adding stats just because "it's overkill" doesn't make sense to me. Zephyr has 15 base armor, without an armor buff she kind of needs some other stats that benefit her defensively, especially since she's designed to be in the air and exposed to the enemy constantly. 

Saying that zephyr's stats are overkill doesn't mean they shouldn't be balanced after nerf. I would happily agree for zephyr to lose 50-100 base shields and gain 85-185 armor.

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

That's why I don't understand Zephyr stats at all. 150 Health and Shield, no other warframe in the game has such stats together, but 15 armor, the lowest armor right now. Who uses Vitality or Redirection on Zephyr? No one if you try to make something useful out of her. Focus on Jet Stream Turbulence to avoid incoming damage and that's all. I'd trade health or shield any day for some more energy and probably a more reliable passive like [insert a high number]% damage resistance while airbone + reduced gravity + infinite hover while aiming mid air.

17 minutes ago, OzoneSlayer said:

Did you post this thread 4 times?

Yes, but angry fan is angry ^^

12 hours ago, DarkMutant said:

If you have played bird person (aka. Zephyr) in this state you should automatically know why people don't play her anymore.

BECAUSE SHE IS S#&$.

Her kit is a joke and definately needs some changes. (This is my opinion so this might be a S#&$ty post).

You know, you're right? Zephyr hasn't aged well in the last two years. Update 12 back in 2014 was great, but Zephyr's kit hasn't progressed well with the times.

So how's this, fellow Zephyr fan? I've been on about a dozen Zephyr re-work threads over the last couple of months, argued back and forth with all of them to find what ideas people most want versus what is the most logical for DE to implement. I'm fairly convinced of my findings, so I'll put them down here (there's also a re-work thread I posted, I'll link you if you're interested):

Passive. Why does Loki get the longer Latch time on him when Zephyr is really lightweight and has low-gravity anyway? I say make Zephyr's light weight apply to parkour as well, making her latch longer, fall slower in Aim Glide and so on.

Stats. The reason she has such high health and shields is because she's got a measly 15 armour. The trade-off is logical; no heavy armour, much faster frame, has more health to balance out the lack of armour. Wouldn't mind losing 50 max health and shields each to gain a little more energy... having only 150 on a frame that I want to be a caster is terrible. Balancing her off with a rank 30 max of 400 Health/Shields and 200 Energy would be a wonderful trade for me. (For reference, Frost is the only other elemental caster frame that has 150 at max, even Hydroid has 225 energy at max, and my plan is to make Zephyr far more viable as a defensive CC caster.)

1. Tailwind and Divebomb together; tap 1 for jet, hold for bomb. Holding makes you hang for a second while it charges, even if you're tailwinding alread, allows you to release to not bomb if you're over a hole, also to recast tailwind or just land safely somewhere else, great for movement changes.

2. 'Wind Lance'/whatever you want to call it. A single-target CC attack. Low damage, staggers at short range, knocks down at medium and ragdolls at super-long. Also staggers enemies in a small radius from the target, or knocks them down at the same length that ragdoll happens.

3. Turbulence, love it, don't change it. Maybe add some synergy with other abilities, like a casting speed buff to 2 when active.

4. Tornado AI rework! Target cast marks a 'storm zone' where Tornado funnels patrol. Movement speed on funnels is increased, loot is ignored/held in funnels instead of flung everywhere, enemies are launched upwards after being sucked up instead of flung everywhere (really annoying when you're on a survival or exterminate and actually want to kill them, this makes it more fun, they pop up, you shoot them! Or they pop up and fall back into the 'zone' so they can still get sucked up again.), and funnels actively seek out enemies inside the storm zone. Makes the ability an 'area denial' type similar to Tentacle Swarm, Vortex and so on meaning that you can cast it on one place and enemies have to go around, or get thrown about like toys.

Add an active dispel to Tornado, keeping it duration based, but able to be cancelled and re-cast for better CC. Make it synergise with Turbulence by giving it a knock-down on enemies within two meters of Zephyr as long as she's standing in the 'zone', and with her new 2, making it able to 'burst' funnels for wide area knock-down (really useful with the Funnel Clouds augment, which could stagger enemies instead of lifting.)

Zephyr, Air Caster, Defensive CC and Graceful Evasion frame. Do you think that would work for you?

I agree Zephyr has so much Problems. But she really don't need a health nerf or a Armor Buff.

It's doesn't matter how much armor you have, you will get 1 shotted.

The only way I would accept a Zephyr health Nerf is by Increasing her Base speed to 1.30

Now for ablities.

I feel Zephyr needs a Big Rework. Her whole kit was spread out into Different Mechanics into the game. DE forgot about her completely

Edited by (PS4)abb12355

Zephyr main here (what is wrong with me?).

Low gravity passive is ok, but really needs to be accompanied by the equivalent of a built-in maxed Mobilize (or maybe a Rending Turn/Piercing Step? Should her "talons" slash or puncture?) and Aviator to get a real birdframe thing happening. 

I support Divebomb being moved to recast of 1 when aiming downwards or some such. Would like to see the enemy recovery from knockdown be lengthened a bit, as they're generally getting up at the same time as Zephyr, which is, well, kinda useless. Maybe throw a consistent Impact or Blast proc in there to ragdoll chumps for good measure. Using it to quickly knock enemies away from an area as well as knocking them down would be quite useful.

I'd kinda like her 2 to be something as simple as toggle flight.

3 just needs to dispel certain AoEs, namely fire and toxin clouds, as it doesn't make sense that it blows away bullets and rockets while doing nothing to those two relatively slow-moving/static AoE fields and attacks. Could stand to see its bugginess with hitscan fire ironed out further, too.

4 is useful but highly unpredictable, lacking in one of either damage or control to be a so-called "ult". For a different spin on an above idea, I'd like initial cast to produce a single, large, high damage funnel cloud that can be steered to an extent with the aiming reticle, then split into the current four wandering clouds on recast.

HP should be left alone unless she gets a BIG armor buff (which wouldn't make much sense, really). Movement speed buff would be rather fun (if borderline uncontrollable) with a high strength Jet Stream build.

On 5/22/2016 at 1:52 AM, DarkMutant said:

Also pls nerf her shields/HP its overkill.

:)))))))))))))))))))))))

really?! ......  I see people like you still think HP matters in Warframe. The only HP that matters in this game is Inaros'. 

In the current state of the game .... HP/Armor are useless stats. HP is there to not die from level damage.

Not a single frame that is actually played at sortie enemy levels relies on HP/Armor for protection.

That should tell you and, most importantly, DE that until max HP's can be increased to, at least, Inaros levels(of course Inaros should still have more, proportionally), the HP/Shield/Armor are useless stats.

Mastery level should influence max HP, by ....  like ........ A LOT.

If I'm mastery, let's say, 20 I should be able to have X thousands Max HP. Which should be a lot more than a mastery 5. for example, tenno.

Than ... after the Max HP's will be high enough ..... the invul skills should be nerfed (as any player than only fights lvl 20 enemies wants Valkyr to lose her invul)

That would give a purpose to mastery.

Edited by alergiclaprosti

1 hour ago, (PS4)The_Eristic said:

I'd kinda like her 2 to be something as simple as toggle flight.

I'm going to stop you right there, and please believe me when I tell you that I don't mean any derision or insult by that, but 'simple' is not a word for a flying Zephyr.

Believe me, I tried. I spent weeks talking with a guy who was absolutely convinced that Zephyr could, and should, fly. The answer we came to was this; it can be done, but would involve re-working the base code of how Zephyr plays, putting in the only system they have for flight, the archwing system, adjusting the balance of all weapons that people would use while in flight to allow players to still play the weapons they enjoy (shotgun and beam weapon fall-off or range limits would prevent people from using some of the highest dps types in the game), and most importantly re-animating every melee weapon, and its stance mods, to ensure that they were still viable while in flight. There's also systems like finishers, ground finishers and assassinations that are built into ground-based combat that would need to be included into flying combat too.

It's why they're bringing in a whole entire new frame to do the flying thing, instead of giving it to an existing one. By making it an ability that does fly but under DE's rules, they can control the weaponry or melee or even switch entirely to an ability attack like the Exalted Blade strikes... I don't pretend to know how they'll do it, but it certainly will be different to the way a regular warframe would need to act.

What we worked out between us is that even with flight, Zephyr would still need a basic 'attack' that cc'd opponents at long range to exploit flying fully, and the slow-down of control in the air (since you can't simply walk around a pillar out of line-of-sight) means a lot more enemies can draw a bead on you at range. That's the main reason I proposed an air caster re-work rather than a flight type, because it's been over, it's been processed, and there's no way that DE would put in the amount of effort needed to make Zephyr fly, it simply doesn't fit mechanically.

So... offensive cc power for 2? I support it, really think it would make her a more viable frame to play at a lot of levels, and an AI rework to her Tornado is long, long overdue. Flight... while I'd like it, I just don't think it will ever be done.

38 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

I'm going to stop you right there, and please believe me when I tell you that I don't mean any derision or insult by that, but 'simple' is not a word for a flying Zephyr.

Believe me, I tried. I spent weeks talking with a guy who was absolutely convinced that Zephyr could, and should, fly. The answer we came to was this; it can be done, but would involve re-working the base code of how Zephyr plays, putting in the only system they have for flight, the archwing system, adjusting the balance of all weapons that people would use while in flight to allow players to still play the weapons they enjoy (shotgun and beam weapon fall-off or range limits would prevent people from using some of the highest dps types in the game), and most importantly re-animating every melee weapon, and its stance mods, to ensure that they were still viable while in flight. There's also systems like finishers, ground finishers and assassinations that are built into ground-based combat that would need to be included into flying combat too.

It's why they're bringing in a whole entire new frame to do the flying thing, instead of giving it to an existing one. By making it an ability that does fly but under DE's rules, they can control the weaponry or melee or even switch entirely to an ability attack like the Exalted Blade strikes... I don't pretend to know how they'll do it, but it certainly will be different to the way a regular warframe would need to act.

What we worked out between us is that even with flight, Zephyr would still need a basic 'attack' that cc'd opponents at long range to exploit flying fully, and the slow-down of control in the air (since you can't simply walk around a pillar out of line-of-sight) means a lot more enemies can draw a bead on you at range. That's the main reason I proposed an air caster re-work rather than a flight type, because it's been over, it's been processed, and there's no way that DE would put in the amount of effort needed to make Zephyr fly, it simply doesn't fit mechanically.

So... offensive cc power for 2? I support it, really think it would make her a more viable frame to play at a lot of levels, and an AI rework to her Tornado is long, long overdue. Flight... while I'd like it, I just don't think it will ever be done.

well, there is fairy frame coming soon..............

35 minutes ago, Aquasurge said:

well, there is fairy frame coming soon..............

I thought I said that... the part about 'a whole entire new frame to do the flying thing' refers to that convention panel reveal of the prospective fairy-themed frame where mention was made that she'll 'shrink down, fly around and unleash hell', which, they said, is possible because the original archwing tests were done in the regular tile-sets by shrinking the frames to 0.1 ratio and flying around there. So the coding exists, it's just not applicable to making Zephyr fly due to all the additional work needed to allow the frame to fly at full size and use regular weapons XD

10 hours ago, Thaylien said:

An offensive CC power for her second ability sounds kinda meh. What she needs is more mobility, we have plenty of frames already who have CC and damage, and next to none that have any notable mobility. Zephyr being a mobility frame should have more powers based around getting to point A to point B, yes, this doesn't make her the best frame for endless T4 missions, but that is an absurdly small part of the game. And she is never described as an air elemental frame, ever. Even her first two abilities aren't even considered 'wind' and just described as 'energy.' A flight ability would be perfect, also can you please stop saying that archwing is the only flight in this game? Or are we ignoring a monkey can fly, and that Ivara's navigator arrow also has its own type of flight control? Flight really isn't that complicated of a concept or they wouldn't even have Archwings, Cloudwalker, Navigator, or that Fairy. You cannot see a flying Zephyr work because you only want her to be another press 4, or in this case 2, frame to wipe out a room and are trying to make flight sound a lot more complicated than it really is to prove your point. There are dozens of ways DE can bring Zephyr into the game flying, and I can absolutely guarantee that Navigator is far more complicated than almost anything DE can implement for a flying Zephyr.

20 hours ago, Thaylien said:

I thought I said that... the part about 'a whole entire new frame to do the flying thing' refers to that convention panel reveal of the prospective fairy-themed frame where mention was made that she'll 'shrink down, fly around and unleash hell', which, they said, is possible because the original archwing tests were done in the regular tile-sets by shrinking the frames to 0.1 ratio and flying around there. So the coding exists, it's just not applicable to making Zephyr fly due to all the additional work needed to allow the frame to fly at full size and use regular weapons XD

oops, forgot about that......

19 hours ago, Esorono said:

An offensive CC power for her second ability sounds kinda meh. What she needs is more mobility, we have plenty of frames already who have CC and damage, and next to none that have any notable mobility. Zephyr being a mobility frame should have more powers based around getting to point A to point B, yes, this doesn't make her the best frame for endless T4 missions, but that is an absurdly small part of the game. And she is never described as an air elemental frame, ever. Even her first two abilities aren't even considered 'wind' and just described as 'energy.' A flight ability would be perfect, also can you please stop saying that archwing is the only flight in this game? Or are we ignoring a monkey can fly, and that Ivara's navigator arrow also has its own type of flight control? Flight really isn't that complicated of a concept or they wouldn't even have Archwings, Cloudwalker, Navigator, or that Fairy. You cannot see a flying Zephyr work because you only want her to be another press 4, or in this case 2, frame to wipe out a room and are trying to make flight sound a lot more complicated than it really is to prove your point. There are dozens of ways DE can bring Zephyr into the game flying, and I can absolutely guarantee that Navigator is far more complicated than almost anything DE can implement for a flying Zephyr.

Well excuse me for having discussed this and debated it clearly and logically for the last month with other people and actually having come to conclusions with them and hoping that I wouldn't have to do it all over again.

Let's start then.

1. People keep saying that archwing is the only flying mechanic in game because, unfortunately, it is. Navigator is an on-rails guided projectile, it moves forward constantly and is a basic bit of code that is brought in from existing stock (as in the ability existed in another, much mentioned, game that DE produced and several other games out there) it cannot be adapted to work with a player avatar unless you wish to limit that player avatar to those same rules (as in, surprise surprise, an aimed version of Tailwind). Cloudwalker, whether you realise it or not, uses cut-down archwing coding, with the lateral controls, momentum and speed either disabled or greatly reduced. And fairy frame is on camera by DE on a convention panel during her introduction said to exploit the Archwing mechanics.

2. As it is, no, I have never, and will never, supported press-X-to-win mentality. Her codex says 'Specialising in air attacks and mobility, Zephyr dominates from above', that's where it mentions air attacks, her abilities are called Tailwind (a term used for when the prevailing wind is adding to the accelleration of an aircraft, pushing it through the air), Turbulence (another term in aviation meaning choppy and uneven air pressure and cross-winds) and Tornado (where she literally creates an attack out of wind). She already has mobility, she already has the air superiority (if you have a long ranged weapon), what is so wrong with actually giving her an ability that can actually attack?

Now, let me explain. Because I don't want Zephyr's main gameplay to change, just have an added aspect of flexibility.

Zephyr is fun to play because of her passive low grav and her already extreme mobility, with high sprint and parkour, Tailwind, and an augment for Turbulence that makes her sprint even faster. I can easily outrun Volt and Loki players with her and she's my go-to frame for missions like Sabotage because she can survive and evade better than all of them.

What she lacks is two key things: The first is a way to interact with the game world or the enemies around her. Every other frame has one. Whether that's a cheap 1 attack for low damage or a CC/offense move, a diversionary tactic, a zone denial, or a damaging 4, every frame has something. Except Zephyr. Not because they didn't try to give her one, they did, Dive Bomb is an offensive CC ability, for all that it's very limited, and Tornado is supposed to be a Zone Denial CC. Neither of these work very well because the one puts you right into harms way when you want to be at range, or plunges you into pits, or doesn't actually get height enough to do full damage, and the other has such poor AI that it annoys the player and any team you run with more than the enemies.

The second thing she lacks is a way to interact with her team. If she can't do anything to the enemies, then she's a pure evasion solo frame, which is un-interactive and lacks any form of use outside of the sprint-to-finish game modes, but if she had some way to benefit her team outside of standing on the pod deflecting bullets, that would be a good compensation.

She has neither. Neither a benefit to team play, nor a way to do anything without a gun to enemies in solo. She is a weapon-reliant frame, and that's something almost none of the other frames are, and those frames that do rely on weapons for damage have some form of CC, like Limbo's Banish, or a more expensive area CC like Banshee's Silence.

I admit, yes it's fun to run around with Turbulence on, walk up to a Bombard and shotgun it in the face because its rockets bounce off, but what of melee units? What of high priority targets shooting a defense objective? What of needing to save a downed team-member surrounded by chargers? The most you can do right now is stand in the way, run away, or cast Tornado which has no off-button, wanders vaguely around the room, scatters loot and enemies and finally climbs a wall and out of the cell.

How would flying help any of that? So she can fly, what then? Can she use anything apart from a hit-scan rifle/sniper to protect an objective? Can she actually do anything up there? Not unless you want to dive head-first at something, or throw some vaguely wandering, annoying Tornados.

Zephyr is already one of the, if not the, most mobile of mobility frames. She can stay off the ground with parkour, wall latch, aim glide and Tailwind almost indefinitely and she can scour a T4 Sabotage for caches as fast as it takes the other three players to activate the portal, then race them to the boss, steal the key and get back and be at the extract before they're half way there. Giving her another mobility ability does not improve her, it pigeon-holes her into a role that doesn't actually benefit gameplay on any other mode. She struggles with defense, she struggles with survival once her weapon damage starts to drop off because she has no abilities for team play, she struggles with infested missions on almost every mode since they're nearly all melee units and they like enclosed spaces, she struggles with point defense like excavation and mobile defense...

But why?

It's because she can't do anything to enemies but shoot them. That's why I think she needs an offensive ability, not a press-2-to-win, but a CC ability at range. It's something to encourage players to Tailwind up in the air, get that max range and ragdoll a heavy gunner or bombard, maybe stagger or knock-down whatever is grouped around it, if she's lucky. A single-target stagger at close range that can give you a few instants to re-cast Turbulence or parkour away. Something that, when she's heading through a map at top speed, she can use to clear a doorway and let her sprint through a small corridor while they're recovering. She can stagger melee units and evade them, but spamming the ability doesn't help because only a knock-down or a ragdoll can trigger a finisher, forcing her to stay at range if she wants to do that, but still buying her time if she wants to use melee of her own.

A CC based 2, with a built-in mechanic to encourage range and precision, would also benefit her team, putting the squishy frame at height, tactically CC'ing the heavy units and allowing her team members to clean them up, or letting her protect another player from across a room. This plays into the fix to Tornado's AI, making that ability a true area-denial ability that can let her CC a space, like a doorway or a pod, and concentrate on attack knowing that, for thirty seconds or so, she doesn't have to worry about what's behind her.

In short, it keeps her role as a sprinter, a mobility frame, and an evasion specialist. But it gives her an interaction, an ability that has a specific use and you have to tactically think how to apply it, not a press-this-to-win, never. An actual, balanced ability that gives something to the frame and to a team.

This is my logic, and the logic of dozens of others that have been working on these threads over time.

So tell me then, how does flying make her a better solo frame, or a better team frame, or a better frame in general? Name one thing that she could do with flying that she could do without it apart from hover in mid-air and manuever without using parkour. If you can think of it being able to do any of the things I've listed, helping her with the things she's bad at right now, then please, tell me. Like several others here I've been playing Zephyr since her release back when I joined in 2014 I have hundreds of hours of gameplay on her, she counts for a quarter of my game time, and if you think that flying will make anything she does better than she can already do without flying then please, enlighten us all. 

Because I really want to know.