Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vaykor Hek or Marelok?

(XBOX)MoanForHeals

Question

14 answers to this question

Well first off you are comparing two different weapon types and weapon category's (Primary/shotgun VS Sidearm/Pistol).  However I find that a well modded Vaykor Hek outshines the Vaykor Marelok. That isn't to say the Vaykor Marelok is bad or that you shouldn't run with it (Hits hard and is good at longer ranges). But that the Vaykor Hek is simply better overall. Personally I say run both :D

Edited by williamsos10

Don't have Ravage in my Vaykor, so it only kills ALMOST everything with one shot.  But occasionally I have to run up to someone and shoot them a second time in the face.

Generally speaking, only bosses and bursas (and sometimes eximi) take more than two shots.  I like the Marelok, but I don't know if it's quite that devastating. 

Maybe with the right loadout...

20 minutes ago, PanUmbrian said:

Don't have Ravage in my Vaykor, so it only kills ALMOST everything with one shot.  But occasionally I have to run up to someone and shoot them a second time in the face.

Generally speaking, only bosses and bursas (and sometimes eximi) take more than two shots.  I like the Marelok, but I don't know if it's quite that devastating. 

Maybe with the right loadout...

Posted for the sake of argument here but as we're comparing a secondary weapon that rewards headshots with a primary weapon that you need to use at almost point blank range to deal optimal damage, there's no point doing so.
Thing is though, that if you're low rank/low on syndicate standing/without primed ravage at least, picking marelok, regular hek and augment plus vaykor marelok would be the best option. It actually was my favourite secondary before I knew about Brakk and Sonicor. (both of them being short range weapons so I guess I would still have a reason to use my 6 forma marelok)

46 minutes ago, Schtredeye said:

...a primary weapon that you need to use at almost point blank range to deal optimal damage...

If you refer to the Vaykor, I don't agree.  You can snipe with it out to a fairly impressive distance; it really doesn't work the way shotguns do IRL (depending on your definition of 'optimal damage', of course).  It will take a couple of shots if your target is on the other side of a large room, of course, but in more typical tile-set distances it will kill almost anybody with one shot in my experience.  And even though I don't have Ravage in it, it still crits one out of every four shots, so if I need to empty the clip into somebody, it will crit at least twice.

As far as secondaries go, my favorite is Forma'd Despair blades.  They're short/long range, very accurate, they deal massive damage, they have pretty close to zero reload time, and while typically I only need one or two blades to kill your run-of-the-mill cannon-fodder enemies, I can deliver a blizzard of them on target very quickly if I need to.  They're somewhat less useful against corpus robots, but they still get the job done - quickly and silently.

Edited by PanUmbrian

10 hours ago, PanUmbrian said:

You can snipe with it out to a fairly impressive distance; it really doesn't work the way shotguns do IRL (depending on your definition of 'optimal damage', of course).

My definition of optimal damage is making sure most if not all pellets find their way to the target. That is however correct. It can hit (and most likely kill) your average draco butcher from a distance.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:57 PM, williamsos10 said:

Well first off you are comparing two different weapon types and weapon category's (Primary/shotgun VS Sidearm/Pistol).  However I find that a well modded Vaykor Hek outshines the Vaykor Marelok. That isn't to say the Vaykor Marelok is bad or that you shouldn't run with it (Hits hard and is good at longer ranges). But that the Vaykor Hek is simply better overall. Personally I say run both :D

Thank you :)

Take both, you won't regret it. They are just excellent weapons in their categories. The "Meridian" effect with explosion damage may not be the most interesting, (though it allows you to get a tiny CC help while reloading or aiming, not bad) but they have pretty good stats.

On one hand, while the Vaykor 's accuracy is very decent at long range for a shotgun, good mods like Vicious Spread and a natural damage falloff would push you to use it at the closest range possible, in my opinion.

On the other hand, the Marelock is an incredibly versatile pistol, fast, powerful, with a good magazine and reload speed, and very accurate at point blank or long range.

You can focus your builds on status up to 98% status chances, or on crit chances. One of the best secondary weapons so far.

Edited by Stonehenge

Why not take both? Just bear in mind that the Vaykor Hek and other Syndicate primary weapons have a MR 12 requirement while the secondaries are MR 6. If you're not quite there, a fully-modded Hek with Scattered Justice still does tens of thousands of damage.

If you had to get one before the other, though, definitely the Vaykor Hek.