Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

Currently enjoying the new native controller support. Finally I don't have to constantly hit keys on the keyboard just to use basic game functions.

However it still highlights the problems that there are too many functions to map to a standard controller. For this PC players still need access to their keyboard for other functions.

Things like accessing the large map, text chat and even marking targets would be appreciated. These functions are incredibly difficult to slide into a setup without losing access to essential functions like the gear wheel and dedicated power buttons.

edit: I wanted to add that I've also never been able to use the roll/crouch function on controller because it never fit.

Edited by Wandrecanada

Hey peoples, I was having trouble helping my friend setup his own key bindings for his PS4 controller on PC. Everytime he tried to set his bindings he would get the message "context action not bound". His controller button layout menu looks different than mine too, as his uses a PS4. His menu looks like a PS4 controller and mine looks like the PC button layout menu, although that is because I use a PS3 controller. I have my buttons set up in the following manner:

Spoiler

Triangle - Switch Weapon

Circle - Melee

X - Jump

Square - context action/reload

R2 - Channeling/Secondary Fire

R1 - Fire

L2 - Item Popup

L1 - Melee Block/Aim

Dpad up - 1st ability

Dpad right - 2nd ability

Dpad down - 3rd ability

Dpad left - 4th ability

Left Stick press - Sprint/Roll

Right Stick press - Crouch

Select - Focus

This is a really comfortable setup and I suggest you try it if you've played a lot of FPS. Anyway, he can't seem to get this setup or any close variation to this because of the "context action not bound" prompt. He already has context action shared enabled. Pls halp

Edit: Also forgot to mention, he has a bug, where he hits default after not being able to change his settings and the game freezes and crashes to the login screen.

Edited by Dr.Wuzzah

On 2018-04-30 at 10:03 AM, Dr.Wuzzah said:

Hey peoples, I was having trouble helping my friend setup his own key bindings for his PS4 controller on PC. Everytime he tried to set his bindings he would get the message "context action not bound". His controller button layout menu looks different than mine too, as his uses a PS4. His menu looks like a PS4 controller and mine looks like the PC button layout menu, although that is because I use a PS3 controller. I have my buttons set up in the following manner: 

Reveal hidden contents

Triangle - Switch Weapon

Circle - Melee

X - Jump

Square - context action/reload

R2 - Channeling/Secondary Fire

R1 - Fire

L2 - Item Popup

L1 - Melee Block/Aim

Dpad up - 1st ability

Dpad right - 2nd ability

Dpad down - 3rd ability

Dpad left - 4th ability

Left Stick press - Sprint/Roll

Right Stick press - Crouch

Select - Focus

This is a really comfortable setup and I suggest you try it if you've played a lot of FPS. Anyway, he can't seem to get this setup or any close variation to this because of the "context action not bound" prompt. He already has context action shared enabled. Pls halp 

Edit: Also forgot to mention, he has a bug, where he hits default after not being able to change his settings and the game freezes and crashes to the login screen.

Tell him to turn off the Controller Interface (that's what forces the console restrictions and the PS4 controller mapping menu), once that's done he can rebind stuff as much as he pleases and then turn it back on (as long as he doesn't reenter that screen).

Edited by NightmareT12

I would seriously like the ability to remap the entire controller.  There are no decent options for changing the sprint button or Slide button, and as someone who has had a history of hand tendonitis and such, having to push in the left stick to sprint all the time or the left bumper to slide... It just starts to hurt.  FULL remapping should be an option.  It also serves several purposes:

1) The total removal of "can you let me move X function to Y button?" requests by Tenno, as they can solve it by themselves.  Do note this will require an option to default all buttons back to their original purpose in case someone gets too esoteric in their mapping.

2) Relief for those suffering from certain hand conditions prohibiting the excessive use of certain movements.

3) Prevention of developing hand issues by Tenno.  If a finger gets too tired doing something, move the function and give it a break.  RSIs (Repetitive Stress Injury) are not a joke. Super Smash Bros Melee did a number on my hands.

4) Garner critical acclaim by controller personalization lovers, (Jim Sterling is one I believe) and more good Media coverage is good for the whole community.

5) Things I haven't thought about yet.

I really can't drive home how important this aspect is to me individually, as my play sessions are limited to about an hour tops due to my hands.  I know there are others out there like this, and there is never anything wrong with trying to ensure the health of those that keep your community alive and well.

EDIT: If there is a way to do this using the Xbox consoles ease of access functions please let me know, I have done some googling and haven't turned up anything, though perhaps my Google-Fu is weak.

Edited by (XB1)HolyGRUNTY 101
I might be a derp. Maybe. Probably?

I retried the Controller UI on PC yesterday and I was so happy to see that I can finally open the chat tabs with "T" at all times! Now we only need the ability to directly type without having to press X/Square and it will be perfect 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of double posting but with yesterday's announcements to melee I decided to make two control schemes. One uses full advantage of the DS4 for PC, the other one would be standard PS4/Xbox One controls. WIthout further ado:

For those who play on PC using Input Mapper or DS4Windows, you should try out this 🙂

ControllerDS4Windows.png

On PC you can bind the touchpad click depending on the side it's pressed (it's literally a mouse lel) and even a multitouch (which I haven't used), so I decided to put Map on left side click and Transference on Right side click. Powers are swipes as in console, but on PC we can use the Hold to charge mechanic correctly! You'll need to bind the keyboard there though (I'll try to make a tutorial better later). With all that, Melee is completely on the right side shoulder buttons, Dark Souls/God of War style! This frees up Reload to be its own button AND two D-pad buttons!

My only gripe is Alt Fire being on L3, but after playing on a DS4 I must say that it's a good choice -- not the best (I'd still use R1 if it was up to me), but seeing the limitations the DE folks in charge of this made a good choice, since you want to be able to use the camera and move if possible doing this command.

As for the non touchpad users, here's what I could came up with (pretty much default control scheme):

ControllerXbox1.png

The only difference is Block is now on the Left Trigger and the Heavy Attack would be Right, so you can use it on conjunction with face buttons (I use B/Circle for reload/interact here, but it works to swap it for melee as well). (I must say, that's exactly how it should be by default now).

I'm oblivious as to if the "Back" button is useable (the select/share one), so I left it unassigned.

I also have a blank scheme I took off the game and then painted in Photoshop in case anyone wants to share theirs easily! 😛

controllerblank.png

Edited by NightmareT12

It takes longer to crouch in operator mode with a gamepad than with a keyboard. On a keyboard it's instant, on a gamepad there's about a .5s delay. I'd love to see this fixed, a lot of my intended void dashes end up as void hops. 

1 hour ago, Steel_Will said:

It takes longer to crouch in operator mode with a gamepad than with a keyboard. On a keyboard it's instant, on a gamepad there's about a .5s delay. I'd love to see this fixed, a lot of my intended void dashes end up as void hops. 

I never noticed this issue.  What controller are you using?  I don't have this problem with the elite controller on Windows 10.  

One of the core issues in the game as a controller user is that when using some of the combos that stances offer there is that down or up press that has to be done around .3 fractions of a second to register. I can see a person full of energy or just not that tired to adjust for these combos; but we had to consider those who play other intensive games that have a interactive movement system of it's own. When the person gets into Warframe here their left stick is loose or the part of it's computer board struggles to register that motion and pressing down or up on that loose left stick won't do good for someone who wanted to try out that new stance and learn how to use it. We're talking about either getting controllers that can take a spin, getting a tool kit to maintain that controller, or going through them like a new pair of shoes seasonally. 

One option that can make it easier is different lay outs for these stances to still do the combos while still pacing those combos or have new stances that do not lock the person into several minutes of practice to make that combo work on their controller. This also can be said about alt-fire weapons. We HAVE the option to toggle crouching, aiming, and channeling. This month spanning issue still isn't fixed for those using a controller and want to use weapons like the Tennora or even Panthera, which pushes for the controller user to position their hands to a certain fold or pull away from the bumper in front of the trigger. Also, not to forget is that not having a toggle for the alt-fire can throw off the Percision of those who might have a loose right stick too and the accuracy will fall even shorter when the stick is held in and having to be rotated at a challengng angle to register both the motion and alt-fire being held in. It seems like a limited problem to the controller user; but it helps to solve it sooner than later when 30 more weapons In game have a alt-fire mode that has to be held in.

1 hour ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

One of the core issues in the game as a controller user is that when using some of the combos that stances offer there is that down or up press that has to be done around .3 fractions of a second to register. I can see a person full of energy or just not that tired to adjust for these combos; but we had to consider those who play other intensive games that have a interactive movement system of it's own. When the person gets into Warframe here their left stick is loose or the part of it's computer board struggles to register that motion and pressing down or up on that loose left stick won't do good for someone who wanted to try out that new stance and learn how to use it. We're talking about either getting controllers that can take a spin, getting a tool kit to maintain that controller, or going through them like a new pair of shoes seasonally

One option that can make it easier is different lay outs for these stances to still do the combos while still pacing those combos or have new stances that do not lock the person into several minutes of practice to make that combo work on their controller. This also can be said about alt-fire weapons. We HAVE the option to toggle crouching, aiming, and channeling. This month spanning issue still isn't fixed for those using a controller and want to use weapons like the Tennora or even Panthera, which pushes for the controller user to position their hands to a certain fold or pull away from the bumper in front of the trigger. Also, not to forget is that not having a toggle for the alt-fire can throw off the Percision of those who might have a loose right stick too and the accuracy will fall even shorter when the stick is held in and having to be rotated at a challengng angle to register both the motion and alt-fire being held in. It seems like a limited problem to the controller user; but it helps to solve it sooner than later when 30 more weapons In game have a alt-fire mode that has to be held in. 

TBH, they are reworking melee so if they're smart they'll abandon these inputs. They don't work fine on controller the moment you don't have the camera follow melee attacks, because turning around screws the back ones.

On another hand, know that you can leave the input pressed from the very start and the combo will pick it up when it needs to, same with Blocking inputs.

22.20.0 brought us more controller updates!

Controller + Cursor Changes:
Launching with this Mainline update is an experimental 'virtual cursor' for PC! If you use a Controller on PC, you will now find there is a seamless transition between Mouse & Keyboard + Controller! Icons and UI will also reflect those of a Controller when seamlessly transitioning between them. Please let us know how you like it - it should be a marked improvement from our incomplete controller support! 

Give it a try, tell the devs how it works. Hopefully it'll work better than it has been. :clem:

By advance sorry for my English im French customer but im really disappointed by this new UI for game pad player

IMO the new controller and cursor changes is just horrible half of key dosent work like they supposed to do! 

And the hybride between mouse crossair and game pad fonction for menu navigation / arsenal /chat box/star map/is absolutely.... 

fu cked up ! 

If people choose to play with game pad and not with keyboard on PC it's for stay close enough to Xbox and Playstation UI si why not apply the same thing for us ?

For my part the older UI is better than this one in all point 

Thx for reading this comment 

Best regards 

I have to agree with highjacker, mouse/kb and controller interface being streamlined together isn't doing either side justice. Lately my left analog stick has been sticking forward a tad bit too, and without any deadzone options along with this new UI, my god is it a real pain. I usually play in-game with a controller but do all of the interface and menus with mouse/keyboard, so the UI constantly shifts between the two and it's extremely frustrating.

We need deadzone options for controller.

29 minutes ago, Gpof said:

I have to agree with highjacker, mouse/kb and controller interface being streamlined together isn't doing either side justice. Lately my left analog stick has been sticking forward a tad bit too, and without any deadzone options along with this new UI, my god is it a real pain. I usually play in-game with a controller but do all of the interface and menus with mouse/keyboard, so the UI constantly shifts between the two and it's extremely frustrating.

We need deadzone options for controller.

Doesn't your controller have deadzone options in it's configuration?  Mine does.  I know for a fact that the Xbox One Elite controller has it's own, i think the Xbox 360 and XB1 have it in the Control Panel.

Edited by DatDarkOne

Okay, updated and now the Controller Bindings menu forces the Console version. There's an issue: You NEED to bind Focus and Transference to a key (it will afterwards let you out). Thankfully it's the ONLY thing that's forced and I had a spare key to "waste". All my bindings were "imported", so a few keys became messed up (I guess I can rebind them though).

Instead of forcing us though, delete the restrictions for everyone (console and PC) and instead of forcing us to bind buttons, ask us to Accept a Warning message saying those actions are not bound. At least we can then FREELY redistribute our keys and take full advantage of what some controllers and schemes can offer. Because I'd swear I had a similar issue on PS4 as well.

Currently looking through Menus and other stuff to see what I can offer feedback on.

Edited by NightmareT12

1 hour ago, Gpof said:

I usually play in-game with a controller but do all of the interface and menus with mouse/keyboard, so the UI constantly shifts between the two....

I do the same, with some keybinds of my own using InputMapper. 

Currently I'm unable to test the new functionality at all, since turning IM off simply turns off any and all controller inputs. That can certainly be a problem on my end and I need to activate some option or other. In theory Windows 10's own drivers should take over, but...well, it's Windows 10. 

As things are I'm somewhere in limbo, the UI is suggesting both DS4 symbols and the regular keyboard inputs interchangeably. Some symbols seem to lack the proper text/image as well. When trying to use the new UI for fishing I got the message 'Hold " " to switch' (I believe it was) with the symbol inside the quotation marks missing.
Other functions tied to context actions had visible but truncated text attached, for instance dash wires and the Simulacrum spawn control. 

I really want this to work and I applaud DE for addressing it, but while they try to resolve any issues on their end I need to ask if other Tenno are using IM, HIDGuardian or similar tools and what sort of experience they're having. Like I said, I might just need to change some settings to give the current setup a spin. 

Edited by Wiergate
detail

30 minutes ago, Wiergate said:

I do the same, with some keybinds of my own using InputMapper. 

Currently I'm unable to test the new functionality at all, since turning IM off simply turns off any and all controller inputs. That can certainly be a problem on my end and I need to activate some option or other. In theory Windows 10's own drivers should take over, but...well, it's Windows 10.  

As things are I'm somewhere in limbo, the UI is suggesting both DS4 symbols and the regular keyboard inputs interchangeably. Some symbols seem to lack the proper text/image as well. When trying to use the new UI for fishing I got the message 'Hold " " to switch' (I believe it was) with the symbol inside the quotation marks missing.
Other functions tied to context actions had visible but truncated text attached, for instance dash wires and the Simulacrum spawn control

I really want this to work and I applaud DE for addressing it, but while they try to resolve any issues on their end I need to ask if other Tenno are using IM, HIDGuardian or similar tools and what sort of experience they're having. Like I said, I might just need to change some settings to give the current setup a spin.  

They change on the fly on my end, so I'm not forced to any interface. It's a bit easier now with the cursor becuase before the damn thing would appear out of nowhere 😛Why are you turning IM off at all this if I may ask?

On another note, a few things I've noticed on the new UI:

• You can't rotate your Warframe in Arsenal unless it's over it. I guess that's to allow the RS to go through longer text on weapons but I'd like it better if I could use left/right without having to hover over.
  • You CAN use the cursor on the settings menu like it was a Mouse one! Press the Confirm (A/Cross) key and move the cursor to be more precise. I'd like the D-Pad to be able to jump in 5s though! (0->5->10->15 etc)
  • I guess this is because currently the UI is thought for the old scheme, but the space is sometimes a bit abysmal to move through. I hope UI 3.0 has it better spaced.
  • Why is Accept "Square/X" instead of "Cross/A"? Please DE, it feels so weird lel

Can't think of anything else right now, need to test the Mod Screens as I've used the Mouse so far on it 😛

Edited by NightmareT12

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

Doesn't your controller have deadzone options in it's configuration?  Mine does.  I know for a fact that the Xbox One Elite controller has it's own, i think the Xbox 360 and XB1 have it in the Control Panel.

I'm using a first gen XB1 controller on Windows 7, if there's options in control panel that aren't Windows 10 exclusive please show me the way. I've tried editing the joy.cpl but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. I'll have to figure out how to use Durazno properly since I'm not sure what else I can do.

32 minutes ago, Gpof said:

I'm using a first gen XB1 controller on Windows 7, if there's options in control panel that aren't Windows 10 exclusive please show me the way. I've tried editing the joy.cpl but that doesn't seem to do anything for me. I'll have to figure out how to use Durazno properly since I'm not sure what else I can do.

I'm referring to the Gamepad icon in Control Panel (classic view).  I had previously use that with my 360 controller to calibrate and adjust the analog sticks.  It should still work for Xbox One controllers as well.  I would use that tool to counter the stick drift that would happen on well used controllers.  

So far the Elite Controller has it own software that allows complete control of how the analog sticks behave.  That as well as programming the buttons.  Sadly that's Windows 10 only.  

As already said above: We don't want a mouse emulation with a stupid cursor. We want a fully supported controller interface.

Also I noticed that, when in the upgrade/modding screen, when pressing [LB] / [RB], the game doesn't recognize if I want to switch my loadout or want to sort my mods. It's randomly doing the opposite of what I want. 

And CHANGE BACK the X / A swap. I just lost a gold reward from an Axi relic because of this stupidness.

Why the eff won't jump stay bound to r3 anymore you need to fix this S#&$ de there is no god dang reason to screw with controllers that work fine after going r3 I have zero intention to go back to your clunky ass defaults leave whats working alone if you really do care about what your player base has to say unless someone like jim gives you S#&$.

I am a whale that loves wasting her money on this game but so help me god if i can't use r3 which is the only way i can pull off movement similar to pc players i will drop this game. hell the reason i even started playing was cus you received so much good press for being player friendly then i log in after a update and you are trying to force me to use a inferior button set up 

Tell me WHY.

I cant even move properly enough to survive a hydron farm Why did you cripple our r3 you have literally made a game that i have poured tons of money into because i love it unplayable.

Edited by Nucklavee
frustration with your company