Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

25 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

That's the in-game Controller config screen in Warframe itself I showed you.  No wonder you are having trouble.  Use the In game options.  

I am using the in-game options. The very first option I get under Controls is configure controller. This is what I get:

vkC6dWD.jpg

That's not my screenshot, but it's exactly what I get. It looks nothing like the screen you showed me. To change a button, I highlight what I want to change and I get an option menu for available commands (Jump, run, etc.). When I try to change what the triggers do, I get a message that states they can't be changed. Steam version of the game just in case.

Edited by Jarriaga

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

I am using the in-game options. The very first option I get under Controls is configure controller. This is what I get:

vkC6dWD.jpg

That's not my screenshot, but it's exactly what I get. It looks nothing like the screen you showed me. To change a button, I highlight what I want to change and I get an option menu for available commands (Jump, run, etc.). When I try to change what the triggers do, I get a message that states they can't be changed.

You're on console.  I thought you were on PC as your forum name doesn't have the Xbox tag.  I don't know how to change them on consoles as I don't have one.  Sorry.  Hope another forum Tenno can help you with that.  

3 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

You're on console.  I thought you were on PC as your forum name doesn't have the Xbox tag.  I don't know how to change them on consoles as I don't have one.  Sorry.  Hope another forum Tenno can help you with that.  

I am on Windows 10, Steam version. I amended that on the post above in case you thought this was on console. My Username also states I'm on PC. How come you've never seen that screen? Do you use a generic controller or a PS4 controller instead of an Xbox pad?

Edited by Jarriaga

1 hour ago, Jarriaga said:

I am on Windows 10, Steam version. I amended that on the post above in case you thought this was on console. My Username also states I'm on PC.

I stopped using the Steam Client because it was causing funky interactions with my controller.  Let me double check the Steam settings and I'll get back in a few minutes.

edit:  Ok I just checking the Steam Client and found the option menu to be the same as I showed before.  I'm thinking the issue you are having to be caused by Big Picture Mode.  Try loading Waframe outside of Big Picture mode and then doing the controller changes and it should reflect those changes when you load in Big Picture mode later.  

Edit:  Oh yeah.  To answer your question.  I use Xbox One elite controller.  hehe.  It's very NOICE!  

Edited by DatDarkOne
added content

On 19/2/2018 at 7:48 PM, Jarriaga said:

I am on Windows 10, Steam version. I amended that on the post above in case you thought this was on console. My Username also states I'm on PC. How come you've never seen that screen? Do you use a generic controller or a PS4 controller instead of an Xbox pad?

You're using Steam's Big Picture Mode, which uses the whole Console UI when it launches Warframe instead of the other one that's been shown.

A culprit I wish the devs would properly implement. I also never understood some of the restrictions on console version, like seriously :/

Edited by NightmareT12

12 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

You're using Steam's Big Picture Mode, which uses the whole Console UI when it launches Warframe instead of the other one that's been shown.

A culprit I wish the devs would properly implement. I also never understood some of the restrictions on console version, like seriously :/

Oh yes. I do use BPM since I play on my TV.

Still @DatDarkOne You were right. Even though you were not getting the same UI as I am, you were right about optimizing the cache. It fixed the problem for me and now I have Aim/Block on the left trigger and Fire/Melee Channeling on the right trigger. Aim glide behavior is now consistent as well.

Thanks!

Edited by Jarriaga

I'd like to reiterate my hopes for getting more customization options for the controller (I'm on PS4, but it should be beneficial to everyone using a controller) by using the Ability Menu Button as a sort of button combo trigger and allowing players to specify which Power is in Slot A,B,C, and D:

The following is from my thread on the subject - which, sadly, has never been replied to from anyone official and is now "archived": 

I have come back to Warframe after a long time (3 years), and while I love the improvements the game has gone through, I still have "issues" with the controls setup - specifically, that you cannot assign everything everywhere (like camera switch, for example) and in any "condition" (by which I mean while holding down one "modifier" button like it is right now with the Ability Menu). And the awkwardness of secondary fire and triggering some of the targeted powers.

Which sounds really complicated and probably is a bit convoluted, so I will try to explain.

You cannot assign everything everywhere

Some actions cannot be assigned to some buttons on the controller. For example, you cannot assign "Switch Camera Shoulder" to the Touchpad button for some reason. If you select the touchpad button, it's not in the list. Why? I don't understand that. (On another note, as I reported in the Bug Section, the Touchpad button Power Menu Mapping does not work - if I have the big map on the touchpad normally, then select a power to be on there while holding the Ability Menu button, it just brings up the big map again.)

Holding the Ability Menu Modifier button should enable more mapping than just powers

If you hold the Ability Menu button (R1 or L1, I don't remember the default), the face buttons become shortcuts to your powers. But that's it. Which is such a wasted opportunity for giving the already very limited controller (in terms of buttons) a "second set" of controls. Why can I not assign gear shortcuts to "Ability Menu Button" + D-Pad (U/D/L/R)? Or any other action I want to be performed on any button I want while holding the Ability Menu Button? Like Secondary Fire on Ability Menu Button + R2/RT (right trigger), Shoulder Switch on AMB + R3, a power on AMB + L3...

It'd be such an easy way to enable almost every button on the controller to have a second function, something that is not used as often, maybe, or something you generally do out of combat etc, and enable people to customize the controls more to their liking and preference

There are so many actions you do regularly, from scanning to shoulder switching to specific powers, the controller simply doesn't have enough buttons to make a convenient control scheme. But it would be a lot better, if the ABM wouldn't just enable the mapping of powers but a complete second set of actions for every controller input.

Enable Assignment of Powers ABCD depending on used Warframe

This was already mentioned in this thread here:

but to mention it again: Let us assign for control scheme purposes for each Warframe what power will be Power A, B, C and D (that`s how they are listed in the controls setup). So that I could change Snow Globe to be triggered on Power A on Frost, Switch Teleport on Power B on Loki or whatever I am most comfortable with, with easy access to powers that I need to aim and putting unaimed powers somewhere else. It's so frustrating missing with an aimed power because I am forced to take my thumb off at least one stick, and keeping thumbs in place but trigger them with the touchpad is just not very comfortable.

Each frame has different abilities, and they do not all correspond to the general pattern (like A&B aimed, C shield for example). So being able to rearrange them would be great.

Everyone has different preferences for how they setup their controls, and on the (input wise) already limited controller, enabling more secondary button actions via a Modifier button for all actions and allowing players to designate which power is slotted into Power Slots A, B, C and D would, I believe, make playing Warframe much more convenient and enjoyable for Controller Users.

Thanks.

Please enable full keyboard/mouse control when using a controller. There are some times when buttons can't be clicked or menus accessed with a controller plugged in, unless you use the controller.

It makes the game really suck for any kind of hybrid controller (like the Steam Controller) when using it's "mouse" controls.

Hopefully it's only a small code change

6 minutes ago, Sarge945 said:

Please enable full keyboard/mouse control when using a controller. There are some times when buttons can't be clicked or menus accessed with a controller plugged in, unless you use the controller.

It makes the game really suck for any kind of hybrid controller (like the Steam Controller) when using it's "mouse" controls.

Hopefully it's only a small code change

That sounds like a glitch.  My controller doesn't cause this issue and I always have it plugged in.  Unless it's an issue specifically with the Steam controller.  

5 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

That sounds like a glitch.  My controller doesn't cause this issue and I always have it plugged in.  Unless it's an issue specifically with the Steam controller.  

It's an issue with the Steam overlay and the way it handles controllers in general. Virtually every other game is unaffected. I know it's not really the developers fault, but I would still be totally thrilled if they would look into it. Especially since this game has full Steam Input API integration, so it would seem like a total waste and the issue seems to be with how that's implemented.

The forums are slightly confusing to use here so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Reposted from Reddit: The sensitivity settings on console could use a touch up

Currently, at least on Xbox, the sensitivity settings aren’t separated between the X and Y axis. This normally wouldn’t be a problem if it weren’t for the fact that the game has it set that no matter what, the Y axis sensitivity will be slower than the X. This is really annoying to me because I want to use snipers outside of eidolon fights, but it’s too sluggish vertically moving my aim.

If DE could decouple the X and Y axis in the settings, the issue would be squashed. Thanks.

Edited by (XB1)SquidApocalypse

Thought I'd ask here before posting in the Bugs section: has anyone else been getting inconsistent behavior in the Plains? (Don't all shout at once. I know. Details below.)

Specifically: I've separated 'context action' from 'reload' because it's an abomination which should never, ever have been there. My context action is now on the PS button of my DS4, mapped there using Inputmapper. 

This works fine in my Liset and in all missions except on the Plains, and then only at night. My ruddy game starts taking screenshots while I'm trying to revive a downed ally. Sometimes the screenshot overrides the context action and I have to start over, sometimes not. 

Unless I've missed that DE have implemented a screenshot function to controllers on PC - and that it only triggers under certain circumstances - this is completely weird. 
Thus: has anyone else seen this or should I research a bit and move this to the Bugs section?

When is the vertical sensitivity going to be fixed? I've used an xbox one elite controller as well as a scuf impact controller, and they both seem to have the same problem when aiming upwards or downwards it's a much slower sensitivity than aiming left or right.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:25 AM, (XB1)SquidApocalypse said:

The forums are slightly confusing to use here so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Reposted from Reddit: The sensitivity settings on console could use a touch up

Currently, at least on Xbox, the sensitivity settings aren’t separated between the X and Y axis. This normally wouldn’t be a problem if it weren’t for the fact that the game has it set that no matter what, the Y axis sensitivity will be slower than the X. This is really annoying to me because I want to use snipers outside of eidolon fights, but it’s too sluggish vertically moving my aim.

If DE could decouple the X and Y axis in the settings, the issue would be squashed. Thanks.

SOMEONE NOTICE THIS POST.

Well, the new Autodetect functionality doesn't work for off-brand controllers it seems. I have an XB1 wired Afterglow series controller, and it doesn't pick it up automatically unless I set it to go full controller. Which is sad, since I do like moving mods around via controller, but I do like moving on controller.

EDIT: Wait... DO you have to turn ON the Controller Interface to get the Autodetect to work? Because with it off, nothing happens. And it's a bit annoying when you turn it on, you can't use keyboard commands to do simple things... like hit "T" so I can talk.

Edited by Salenstormwing

39 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

Well, the new Autodetect functionality doesn't work for off-brand controllers it seems. I have an XB1 wired Afterglow series controller, and it doesn't pick it up automatically unless I set it to go full controller. Which is sad, since I do like moving mods around via controller, but I do like moving on controller.

It definitely doesn't work at all for me on the Steam Controller either. Sadly I'm entirely locked into staying in BPM anyway thanks to using touch menus because I can't stand the regular way to use powers (I wish it was way better but it's not) But I've tried starting it in BPM and regular and it's not really any different than before for me, if I start with BPM I get a more gamepad functional UI, if I start it in regular, I get one where the pad doesn't work properly, same as before, I'm really hoping this means we're getting close to being more agnostic though I really hate that you can't flip UIs on a whim and since I basically have to use BPM to get my touch menus, it's nice when I can change to the PC UI for other things and it really bothers me that half of it doesn't work right for the other control type in either mode. Also, I see PrivateRiem mentioned it breaking action layers, luckily I don't have any in my config yet but that really has to be looked into if that's the case.

Oh and I'd also to add, and I'm so hoping this gets seen because I know it's been reported many times for a long time, if we're really getting into the topic of improving controllers now and I REALLY hope we are, can we PLEASE get rid of the forced Fullscreen mode when launching via BPM? I don't understand why this does this and you can change back to Borderless if you use it anyway, but every time the game starts from BPM it forces full screen mode and I don't know why but it isn't beneficial to me as a multi screen user to use it and it's a huge waste of time every time I start in BPM.

Edited by Drex83

13 minutes ago, Drex83 said:

It definitely doesn't work at all for me on the Steam Controller either. Sadly I'm entirely locked into staying in BPM anyway thanks to using touch menus because I can't stand the regular way to use powers (I wish it was way better but it's not) But I've tried starting it in BPM and regular and it's not really any different than before for me, if I start with BPM I get a more gamepad functional UI, if I start it in regular, I get one where the pad doesn't work properly, same as before, I'm really hoping this means we're getting close to being more agnostic though I really hate that you can't flip UIs on a whim and since I basically have to use BPM to get my touch menus, it's nice when I can change to the PC UI for other things and it really bothers me that half of it doesn't work right for the other control type in either mode. Also, I see PrivateRiem mentioned it breaking action layers, luckily I don't have any in my config yet but that really has to be looked into if that's the case.

Oh and I'd also to add, and I'm so hoping this gets seen because I know it's been reported many times for a long time, if we're really getting into the topic of improving controllers now and I REALLY hope we are, can we PLEASE get rid of the forced Fullscreen mode when launching via BPM? I don't understand why this does this and you can change back to Borderless if you use it anyway, but every time the game starts from BPM it forces full screen mode and I don't know why but it isn't beneficial to me as a multi screen user to use it and it's a huge waste of time every time I start in BPM.

Run warframe in standalone, set as a non-steam shortcut in Steam, run BPM, lunch warframe. Just copy your controller config over and import it as "Other game configurations".

Voila, everything works perfectly, except you can't see tennogen stuff in the marketplace.

2 hours ago, PrivateRiem said:

Run warframe in standalone, set as a non-steam shortcut in Steam, run BPM, lunch warframe. Just copy your controller config over and import it as "Other game configurations".

Voila, everything works perfectly, except you can't see tennogen stuff in the marketplace.

Works perfectly on stand-alone client for me also.  Than again I'm using a Xbox One controller that is fully recognized in Windows 10.  

I'm loving this QoL update.  It's much better than using Steam's glitchy Big Picture mode.  

The new gamepad support is wonderful and working well for me with an XBox 360 controller. Thank you so much for this. But switching between gamepad and keyboard control for the chat window feels very awkward. I think it would be much better if just pressing t would still bring up the chat window and switch to normal keyboard control so it behaved like it would without a gamepad being involved. 

The new Controller support is inconvenient to use in the chat window. If you do not open any function station (such as foundry or ARSENAL) within Orbiter, you cannot open the chat window by pressing LT.

And in the chat window, you can't click on links to other people's items or player names.

Edited by Kitty_Prime

First i would like to say, i think it is awesome you guys listen to the feedback from users and implement things. Thanks very much!! I noticed that the upgrade (triangle/Y) and appearance (square/X) buttons cant be used with the controller buttons anymore. Even if i switch to controller mode. Things like selecting a profile with R1/RB and going into abilities R2/RT works as it should.
Also if i want to chat (L1/LT) these buttons don't work anymore when not in missions. I can use it while going into the start menu though, but previously it worked with using just L1/LT. These things are happening both with PS4 and Xbox One controllers. 

I want to also suggest a small thing. If i want to type something i would rather prefer to use 100% keyboard. And amazingly enough you build in a automatic change when i touch the mouse. But i think it would be even more awesome if i could switch to keyboard mode with just typing T, because i cant do that until i use my mouse.

Also when i go from keyboard into for instance the mod interface i can switch to controller just fine and everything works. But if i'm in controller mode and go into the mods interface i cant use the mouse anymore. It would be awesome if we could do that. Same goes for the chat window, i cant use my mouse to invite someone if i am in controller mode, and i doesn't let me switch.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by thalion987

As much as I like the new gamepad support I'm going to have to disable it. It makes firing off a quick message in game too difficult and I also just had an instance where that damn chat box kept opening instead of selecting to leave in between rounds of an endless defense mission. And I was unable to use the mouse or keyboard because the interface was stuck on the gamepad control. I just kept hammering buttons on both until finally it made the selection. Sincere apologies to the guys I did that last second bail on. Keyboard presses really need to immediately and completely override the gamepad control.