The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

I cant believe in this change, WHAT and WHY? Why add a cursor that you have to move with your thumbstick and make it clunky and take so long to do anything. The previous controller interface was PERFECT. Felt very natural, every action had its button assigned, no cursor hovering over every button, i even have to move the cursor over my character in the arsenal to rotate it when fashionframing, wth? 😄 Bring back the previous interface PLEASE, or at least let us switch, tho i doubt any controller user prefers this new interface to the previous one.

31 minutes ago, ARKANOiiDe said:

I cant believe in this change, WHAT and WHY? Why add a cursor that you have to move with your thumbstick and make it clunky and take so long to do anything. The previous controller interface was PERFECT. Felt very natural, every action had its button assigned, no cursor hovering over every button, i even have to move the cursor over my character in the arsenal to rotate it when fashionframing, wth? 😄 Bring back the previous interface PLEASE, or at least let us switch, tho i doubt any controller user prefers this new interface to the previous one.

frankly i could give less of care about the menu nonsense ( even though its inferior) the fact that i cannot jump anywhere outside of my orbititer  useing r3 has ruined my ablity to play, so yeah thanks de

6 minutes ago, Nucklavee said:

frankly i could give less of care about the menu nonsense ( even though its inferior) the fact that i cannot jump anywhere outside of my orbititer  useing r3 has ruined my ablity to play, so yeah thanks de

Or you can just go into the options and change the button config.  There are two ways to do this for controllers on PC.  One is while having the controller option selected and the other is while having Keyboard/mouse selected.  The second option will give you more control of button configuration for controllers.  Once you have the button config you want, then just switch to controller options and it's all set.  

The only way I can see this not working for you is if you're using some 3rd party controller software to make your controller work if It's not a Microsoft/Steam controller

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

Or you can just go into the options and change the button config.  There are two ways to do this for controllers on PC.  One is while having the controller option selected and the other is while having Keyboard/mouse selected.  The second option will give you more control of button configuration for controllers.  Once you have the button config you want, then just switch to controller options and it's all set.  

The only way I can see this not working for you is if you're using some 3rd party controller software to make your controller work if It's not a Microsoft/Steam controller

i am using a a afterglow ps4 controller i am in the game and going to options i then go to customize controller which displays a x box controller. I then in this order change jump to r3 which switches secondary fire back to a then i move quick attack/ melee attack to the spot i have been using for weeks on r2 i then apply transcend to where quick melee used to be i confirm  exit the menus then everything appears fine i enter a mission to test it and both jump and attack have been reverted. i have optimized and verified the launcher more then once as well these controls were working perfectlly fine last night.

9 minutes ago, Nucklavee said:

i am using a a afterglow ps4 controller i am in the game and going to options i then go to customize controller which displays a x box controller. I then in this order change jump to r3 which switches secondary fire back to a then i move quick attack/ melee attack to the spot i have been using for weeks on r2 i then apply transcend to where quick melee used to be i confirm  exit the menus then everything appears fine i enter a mission to test it and both jump and attack have been reverted. i have optimized and verified the launcher more then once as well these controls were working perfectlly fine last night.

Then try the second option I suggested.  Switch control method to KB/mouse and then goto controller config in game.  The should give a table with functions and the corresponding buttons.  That's the method I use for my Xbox Elite controller.  It gives more freedom in configuring the buttons to use the second method.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

4 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Then try the second option I suggested.  Switch control method to KB/mouse and then goto controller config in game.  The should give a table with functions and the corresponding buttons.  That's the method I use for my Xbox Elite controller.  It gives more freedom in configuring the buttons.  

I feel that there is a disconnect in our conversation somewhere here, i am using my mouse to open options i then am going with the mouse button to customize controller the second choice from the top i then change the bindings with my mouse confirm them exit with my mouse and once again things seem fine. till i enter any mission which at that point it instantly forgets why i assigned for S#&$s and giggle i sat in the mission spawn and changed it using the same way there and the results were umm special yes i could now jump with r3 but it constantly put me into a slow glide i also could no longer do the whole jump slide method of fast travel  also my ability which had been bound to directional pad flat out refused to work.

14 hours ago, Nucklavee said:

I feel that there is a disconnect in our conversation somewhere here, i am using my mouse to open options i then am going with the mouse button to customize controller the second choice from the top i then change the bindings with my mouse confirm them exit with my mouse and once again things seem fine. till i enter any mission which at that point it instantly forgets why i assigned for S#&$s and giggle i sat in the mission spawn and changed it using the same way there and the results were umm special yes i could now jump with r3 but it constantly put me into a slow glide i also could no longer do the whole jump slide method of fast travel  also my ability which had been bound to directional pad flat out refused to work.

To aimglide you have to hold the aim button.  If you don't then it will just be a regular jump.  where do you have the aim function assigned to.

Also when using that config method, you still have to use the buttons on the controller for them to be assigned to that button.  If you select it using only you mouse, then it's not getting assigned to the button on the controller.  

EDIT:  It seems that method has been completely removed with the update.  Damn.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

6 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

To aimglide you have to hold the aim button.  If you don't then it will just be a regular jump.  where do you have the aim function assigned to.

Also when using that config method, you still have to use the buttons on the controller for them to be assigned to that button.  If you select it using only you mouse, then it's not getting assigned to the button on the controller.  

can you please show me what screen you are useng because it does not sound like the same one i am using while logged in and i have tried chanmgeing the controller buttons only using my controller as well neither way achieves a permanent change

Xbox One's D-Pad no longer works in the menus. I have to select things with the cursor now like Destiny.

Also why is the confirmation button changed to 'X' instead of being left at 'A'? When trying to fix my controller config I've accidentally reset my config to default when I'm really trying to CONFIRM my changes. 'X' is now both CONFIRM and RESET TO DEFAULT

Edited by Varlu

I tried the controller and customized the keys because I do not like the default settings.

You have to add the simple function for the crouch (like Ctrl on keyboard)

"Toggle crouch" it's just bad, why should I press the button again to get up?

The other customizable feature "crouch, slide, roll" have a delay on slide, to be avoided if you do not want to play in a nightmare.

There is no option for "hold to crouch" .... Why?

58 minutes ago, --Noizer-- said:

I tried the controller and customized the keys because I do not like the default settings.

You have to add the simple function for the crouch (like Ctrl on keyboard)

"Toggle crouch" it's just bad, why should I press the button again to get up?

The other customizable feature "crouch, slide, roll" have a delay on slide, to be avoided if you do not want to play in a nightmare.

There is no option for "hold to crouch" .... Why?

If I hold left button it crouches so long as I was not running while doing it

11 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

Why are you turning IM off at all this if I may ask?

I couldn't really get the functionality at all with it on, since (even if I set it to a default profile) my macros for setting waypoints, power use etc. just behaved as they did before. 

Mind you, things have been completely weird lately. I've mapped context actions to the PS button, for instance. Under certain circumstances, such as reviving another player, that'll start Nvidia Geforce Exp. recording. That's mapped to AL+F9 on my keyboard. When in Void mode and reviving someone, it can start my FPS counter - not the ingame one but again the Nvidia one, which I mapped to Alt+F. Just...what?

It seems the game is partly reading my own mappings and then applying them somewhat inconsistently. What on earth is going on with the other stuff I have no idea. 
Since I'm running IM to translate and HIDGuardian to claim Exclusive Mode (it always fails miserably but things work anyway) I imagine there's a ton of strange signals to interpret. 

TBH I'm surprised anything works at all, but it does. The one exception is Fallout 4 which is having none of that #### and requires me to turn IM off. And works perfectly when I do. 
I should get some more support for IM and try to get to the bottom of it all, but last I checked there was a lengthy procedure where I renamed/reassigned every USB port on my mobo and I just stopped caring.  

(If it were up to me we'd just lock legislators, Sony and Microsoft reps and a bunch of developers in a tiny room with a slowly depleting air supply till they make drivers, APIs and UIs work universally without any bloody hassle. If they smother before succeeding we send in some new ones without clearing the room of their remains. I can dream, right?)   

10 hours ago, Varlu said:

Xbox One's D-Pad no longer works in the menus. I have to select things with the cursor now like Destiny.

Also why is the confirmation button changed to 'X' instead of being left at 'A'? When trying to fix my controller config I've accidentally reset my config to default when I'm really trying to CONFIRM my changes. 'X' is now both CONFIRM and RESET TO DEFAULT 

Yeah, that's one of my few gripes with the new changes. Most things are fine, but that's one of the things that bugs me.

The other thing that bugs me is if I hit "T" to talk, it doesn't just start with the cursor in the talk window. I have to actually move it down, at least once, before I can start talking. It's a little annoying to be like, "Hey guys, we quit at 8", only to realize the dialog box has been selected but the cursor isn't actually in the team chat box yet.

5 hours ago, Wiergate said:

If it were up to me we'd just lock legislators, Sony and Microsoft reps and a bunch of developers in a tiny room with a slowly depleting air supply till they make drivers, APIs and UIs work universally without any bloody hassle. If they smother before succeeding we send in some new ones without clearing the room of their remains. I can dream, right?)   

Microsoft isn't allowed by the government to make drivers for the products of other companies.  Remember when they got hit with anti-trust?  If MS were to do what you request (I specifically asked that very question while I worked there), they would be heavily fined and penalized by the US government and probably those of countries too. 

Edited by DatDarkOne

2 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Microsoft isn't allowed by the government to make drivers for the products of other companies.  Remember when they got hit with anti-trust?  If MS were to do what you request (I specifically asked that very question while I worked there), they would be heavily fined and penalized by the US government and probably those of countries too.

Yes, I remember hearing this, you might have been the one who mentioned it. Hence my suggestion that legislators be included in the meeting, to make sure that over-zealous anti-trust policies are discussed and resolved.
We could stick a Toxic Ancient in the room as well, to ensure diligence and alacrity in the proceedings.   

2 minutes ago, Wiergate said:

Yes, I remember hearing this, you might have been the one who mentioned it. Hence my suggestion that legislators be included in the meeting, to make sure that over-zealous anti-trust policies are discussed and resolved.
We could stick a Toxic Ancient in the room as well, to ensure diligence and alacrity in the proceedings.   

Hehe, I would love a see a video of that.  😃

15 minutes ago, bubbabenali said:

Mouse-courser on Analog controls instead of direct browsing through the menus with my D-Pad - all of my nopes.

Also 9 out of 10 times "clicking" doesn't even work. Can we at least get a legacy - aka "the fast way" option?

This, everything in menus takes 3x longer now. Someone said that the new interface feels like some Xpaddder controller emulation, and i agree. The interface before the update was 99% perfectly fine. Please give it back to us DE 😛

Yeah, please, please add the option to disable this, DE. Navigating menus with the stick or D-pad and the button shortcuts in the arsenal etc (just like practically every other game that supports controllers!) was perfectly fine, I have no idea why you felt it was incomplete that way. Using almost any menu, but especially moving mods around, is just a miserable experience like this.

i am on PC but i use a controller and after the latest update, 20.20.0, my custom controls are a bit messed up. i went into controller bindings to change one thing, i wanted confirm to go back to the A button instead of being changed to the X button, and in doing so it set my controller layout back to default. still couldnt change the the confirm button back to A, but i noticed that i cant have just crouch/slide bound to a button, it instead is crouch, slide AND roll. i had roll bound to a different button and forcing it to be bound with crouch/slide just makes my movement awkward and slow. everything else is fine and i love most of the changes that were made, but please give me back A for confirming (or at least tell me how to change it because i missed something) and let me have roll on a different button without crouch and slide. and yes i know that i can have roll/sprint as a different button, i just dont want it with crouch/slide.

Yes, yes yes. Please return the default "Confirm the thing" button to on Xbox controllers. It should be the bottom-most button in the diamond on any controller unless remapped by the user. 

Like I said in the hotfix feedback thread, this change in particular seems almost like "Let's screw with controller users just because we can."

Edited by Ham_Grenabe