Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we get leap-slam back?

RealPandemonium

For a while after Melee 2.0 dropped, holding down E while in the air would perform a slam attack without having to look down.  This also allowed you to chain an air attack into a slam attack, which felt great and was very functional.  DE removed this feature for unknown reasons a while ago, but in the meantime there haven't been any new features that would conflict with leap-slam.  Looking down to slam attack limits its flexibility as an attack option and can lead to misfires.  It is also not currently even possible to follow up an air melee attack with a slam attack even if you look down.  There's no downside to restoring this feature and it has a strong precedent (it was in the game and worked well for many months,) so why not bring it back?  

Edit: Forgot to add that it is impossible to do an air melee at a downward angle with the current melee controls.  Thanks Pythadragon!

Edited by RealPandemonium

YES! Please!

Hold to slam was a much better control schema. It would also allow you to air melee at a down angle, which is currently not possible! I cannot tell you how many times I and others accidentally slam attack in conclave and get ourselves killed!

If they're going to do anything for melee, they should also remove the cooldowns to all melee attacks after rolling or using air melee. It ruins all the flow when you suddenly have your melee disabled for a while.

Yeah I was pretty annoyed when they removed it claiming it was a bug, when I distinctly remember Steve showcasing melee 2.0 and mentioning it as an actual feature.

slightly off topic but I also seriously miss the old slide-front-flip that got replaced by bullet jump, one of my favorite things ever was chaining it with a heavy blade ground slam, cleaving some poor fool in two, it just felt so fluid and "right". You can still do something similar with the forward flip from double jump, but between that and no longer being able to hold-E ground slam, it's really clunky and just not the same.

Edited by rapt0rman

So long as we get an option to toggle between look-down to slam, and hold to slam I have no problem with it.  It would certainly make that attack easier for people with gamepads, as they wouldn't need to go through the (for them) slow look down > look up part of the action.  It's even hard using a KB+mouse input adapter on a console, because your turn rate is still capped.

What I won't settle for is the amazing responsiveness of movement that's possible in the PC version of this game, being crippled for the sake of people who've already limited themselves by using a controller.

Or use the R key. So you can use E for aerial attacks and R for ground slam. Would also benefit combos switching to E&R combinations instead of single button with pauses and holds that are difficult to do on fast weapons with tricky animations.

@Those who are worried that this change would make slams less responsive, it was never a problem back when it was still a feature.  Some reported that they were getting slam attacks by accident, but that was only because they were holding the button down for some reason; it is much more likely to get slam attacks by accident now because looking at a downward angle triggers it regardless of your intent (but sometimes fails to slam, which is very frustrating when you actually want a slam.)