Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limited legendary mods

Endorphinz

By now everyone knows what legendary mods are. Seeing how they offer a substantial boost in power, all based upon your good timing when the void trader comes around. I just noticed that my sidearm has 3 legendary mods equipped on it (target cracker, pistol gambit, heated charge) and maybe it's just not a good idea to let things inflate too ridiculously.

I propose limiting maybe only one or two legendary mods per build, just for balance reasons

1 minute ago, Vedlom said:

That seems like it'd kind of ruin endgame for most people.

But it would also alleviate the feeling of "oh no, I missed X legendary mod, now I'm not at my 100% potential and I shouldn't get into high-level stuff"

Also everyone's definition of "end-game" is pretty much open for debate.

I don't know; on the one hand, yes, it may help with powercreep. Yet on the other, if a player is willing to dedicate that much time, effort and resources (forma included) to put as many of those primed mods as he/she wants onto an item, should it not be allowed?

I feel this is one of those delicate situations the devs face with game balance in the near future. There's no easy answer.

Just now, Endorphinz said:

But it would also alleviate the feeling of "oh no, I missed X legendary mod, now I'm not at my 100% potential and I shouldn't get into high-level stuff"

That's true, but let's not forget that goals are a nice aspect in this game. "I didn't get x, so I'll have to farm up enough y to sell or trade so I can get x."

9 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

If you are of the mind that you require legendary mods in order to even attempt "endgame" stuff, then you haven't played this game long enough to know that people were doing that exact same "endgame" stuff before legendary mods existed. And the legendary mods cycle, making you only have to wait a month or two for it to return. Legendary mods are not the gateway to endgame, they only make the task easier. This is best left for the mod rework to sort out.

Keep in mind that you can dynamically switch weapons and warframes.  I don't want to throw on a new weapon that has a lot of primed mods in it and suddenly be told "oops, too many primed mods in your build, removing..." and then have to painstakingly go through my crap one item at a time fixing things.

I already have to do that when sentinel weapons and regular weapons share the same mod.  It's annoying enough already.

25 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

By now everyone knows what legendary mods are. Seeing how they offer a substantial boost in power, all based upon your good timing when the void trader comes around. I just noticed that my sidearm has 3 legendary mods equipped on it (target cracker, pistol gambit, heated charge) and maybe it's just not a good idea to let things inflate too ridiculously.

I propose limiting maybe only one or two legendary mods per build, just for balance reasons

yeah, we have to wait couple of months & even after that we shouldn't allow the players to use them in he same time, as if not having/using them really limiting your gameplay...

Let me clear something: this is PvE game. We are here to screw AI for fun and amusement. No offense, but many proposition like that is, in fact, hidden rants "I don't have it, so screw the ones who use that".

To achieve the ability to put such energy-heavy mods into the weapon, one should work hard putting Formas and leveling gear, and this is kinda fun for many end-gamers. Have you heard about high power Zephyr+Tonkor trick? It takes at least 6 formas to accomplish.

48 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

*Primed mods. The only legendary mod is the Fusion Core, and that is really legendary-tier powerful. Not just a meager 1.9x more.

Can we get people to stop dropping from groups and going afk, before we start talking nerfs again ? LOL.  Seriously, you need that extra boost to carry the one or two people who are hiding in holes during missions, or leave you fighting for self when they run to the end of an exterminate mission.  My favorite is when you get one or two hydroids that turn into a pool of water during the mission, and pop up to collect loot, and then go back into pool mode.  We need more controls on dealing with toxic players...

the only step forward that could be made here would be the Mods not existing in the first place.
maybe some exceptions as a few of these Mods have actually successfully created playstyles rather than just being powercrepe.

I don't really like this. I suggest making the Primed Mods rare, right now literally everyone has access to them. I think that these mods should be untradeable or a rare item in Baro's stock. I suggest replacing Baro's casual Primed Mods with other mods like Buzz Kill, Argon Scope, other rare mods or maybe even special Baro color packs or skins for frames.

(I realize that these suggestions aren't ideal but hopefully you get my point. I'm just sick of seeing people buying and selling Primed Mods for 30-40 platinum. These mods are supposed to be legendary, rare.)

Limiting each item to only use one Legendary would kill the use of certain mods (even more than are already dead).  I mean, Primed Pistol Gambit with it's reduced effect per rank isn't that much better than regular Pistol Gambit (which is considerably easier to get and level).  Couple that with the generally low crit stats of secondaries and I really don't see it getting used in it's current state if it blocks the use of Primed Target Cracker (which you'll also want in a crit build) or Primed Heated Charge (which gives a reliable constant damage increase compared to crits).

This all stems from the mentality that "I need primed mods to be good" if you miss a prime mod, it won't make or break the game. same can be said vice versa, but why limit those that obtained the mods because others were unfortunate to miss them? it's not like the mods will never re-surface like a certain primed frame. If you missed it, then just keep going til you get it, we've survived without primed mods before, missing a baro visit won't hurt your build.

There is literally no reason to place arbitrary limits on players. Just cause people miss out on mods, doesnt mean those that havent should be punished over it and frankly hiding this reasoning behind "balance reasons" is pretty weak.

I mean, have you even considered what this would do to some primed  mods that are already  considered worthless? Why would I ever use Primed heavy impact over primed pressure point? Why would I ever use prime fury over primed pressure point? Some of the primed mods would become more of a joke than they already are. (primed fast hands, im looking at you)

what exactly would this balance anyway? People would just use the primed damage mods only, and everything else would be a wasted primed mod slot

Edited by armedpoop

legendary or primed mods are supposed to be expensive min-maxing and endgame

they require tones of credits and cores to max + most of the time an aditional forma

why take away the last bit of progress for veterans ?

So because some people don't have one or two primed mods they need to be limited for the sake of balance? Last I checked the time it takes time to forma stuff an rank these mods after you obtain them and your TAKING PROGRESSION AWAY if this were to happen. We don't need another Destiny where you can only equip one exotic weapon or armor piece.