Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don't like the new Star Chart

Xaxma

The older star chart wasn't perfect by any means, sure, but the ease of use vastly outdoes the new one.

Transitions are slow, the fade-to-black feels out of place, the nodes make absolutely no sense anymore in terms of location, my frame twitching in the background as I scroll is silly, the icons are unbearably tiny to the point of making it difficult to tell what it represents at all, and I feel as though huge chunks of information were left out.

It's like they took everything bad from the first one and everything bad from the second one to make this vile visionary concoction. 

3 minutes ago, Xaxma said:

The older star chart wasn't perfect by any means, sure, but the ease of use vastly outdoes the new one.

Transitions are slow, the fade-to-black feels out of place, the nodes make absolutely no sense anymore in terms of location, my frame twitching in the background as I scroll is silly, the icons are unbearably tiny to the point of making it difficult to tell what it represents at all, and I feel as though huge chunks of information were left out.

It's like they took everything bad from the first one and everything bad from the second one to make this vile visionary concoction. 

there was nothing bad about the first one, it was perfect, this new one is good too.

6 minutes ago, Momo93 said:

I really hated the mess that was the planet spinning one so I am glad we are back to the nostalgic one which actually made sense.

I preferred the planets spinning around. 

What I mean by ease of use was that every node was a big rectangle that sat along the axis of the planet, and you could tell exactly what some nodes meant based on the coloration, like syndicates, alerts, sorties, invasions, etc. Higher level nodes sat further away from the planet. I just feel like all this zooming junk just overly complicates things.

I don't feel like this information is as apparent now.

Edited by Xaxma

Just now, Xaxma said:

I preferred the planets spinning around. 

What I mean by ease of use was that every node was a big rectangle that sat along the axis of the planet, and you could tell exactly what some nodes meant based on the coloration, like syndicates, alerts, sorties, invasions, etc. Higher level nodes sat further away from the planet. I just feel like all this zooming S#&$ just overly complicates things.

I don't feel like this information is as apparent now.

Don't know if you were around for star chart 1.5 but that solved every single problem you mentioned but they dropped it for the spinning planets. I am sure they will tweak the current one to match the greatness of the 1.5 one.

i feel like somehow this new version includes some hate/angst about the removal of the ring of planets , like its intentionally worse in some way just becuz of the change =/

but also it really looks like it just had way too many re-re-re-re-visions at the last minute =[ 

whoever thought having the mission icons be so incredibly small was a good idea... like is that a lotus symbol... wtf does that mean? is that an alert? FFS =[

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

I'd get rid of any head and hand motion on the player's warframe and as others said make icons for alerts and invasions more clear and visible, otherwise it feels fantastic with the look and sound of it.

57 minutes ago, Xaxma said:

I agree with every point made pretty much. The new star chart style LOOKS pretty- but FUNCTIONALLY it has failed hard. Severe issues that need fixing include alpha/opacity levels on text or other important things being way too low in certain spots. Some text will overlap other nodes making stuff nearly impossible to read- or even to actually SELECT the mission. Overall the "flow" they wanted the new starmap to have is invisible. They need to have some sort of indicator like a flow of void energy from the FIRST mission in the starchart out to the LAST one. Something FAINT but CLEAR. Something that makes sense just to show how things progress from the view of the entire system- and for each planet. It's just IMPOSSIBLE to tell "where it starts and where it ends" since there's no clear start/end point like there was in the past. Now it's just one big mess with no directional indicators. Just that one simple thing would really help make navigating it 100x easier.

I just wish there was an option that instead of starting you off zoomed in on where ever you were last, you could toggle it to start you off with the overview and just zoom in to last location if you wanted to.

Also, would be nice if the UI wasn't slower than the previous starchart UI.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

58 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

this one is so much better than the cluster mess we had before

THIS one is the cluster mess. Before it was clean and obvious what went where. Now you can't tell up from down left from right start from finish. It needs some sort of flowing void energy or something similar leading through showing you where planets start/end/link together. A straight shot from the first node to the last node(s) of that planet- to the node(s) of the next planet(s) all the way through to the end- skipping any branches.

Think of the new starchart as a tree. There is the trunk- that's the start. Then it starts branching off. We need CLEAR indicators leading to the ends of the IMPORTANT branches that make them stand out from the minor ones so we can see where things lead easier.

36 minutes ago, Aure7 said:

I'd get rid of any head and hand motion on the player's warframe

This. I'm not sure why that is needed. It just looks awkward. Especially when you move the mouse too fast and the head flips upside down super fast.

1 minute ago, KnotOfMetal said:

I just wish there was an option that instead of starting you off zoomed in on where ever you were last, you could toggle it to start you off with the overview and just zoom in to last location if you wanted to.

Also, would be nice if the UI wasn't slower than the previous starchart UI.

Also this. All of this. Especially the last point. The #1 thing about warframe that's annoyed me from day 1 is that despite the game itself running fine the fancy UIs (and only SOME of them are fancy so that inconsistency is another reason this should be fixed) all cause some weird mouse lag. The sleek, simple style of stuff like the inventory screen are fine. They fit the feel of the game, they don't have mouse lag. They're very clear in how to navigate them. Starchart 3.0 was originally meant to be starchart 1.0 v.2, but it ended up not-that. It needs to be cleaner. There's too much fancy stuff to make it look nice. It can look just as nice- if not better- without all that extra stuff slowing everything down and cluttering it up. I'm not saying make it as simple/bare as the FIRST looks at starchart 3.0's original iterations/concepts, but closer to it. Something in between.