Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Budget builds, Baro scum and worst co-op experience

BrandingIron

Question

Hi!

Second time since I started playing Baro brought only crap. This leads to utter frustration because most of the builds I saw require 1 or more primed mods. I'm slowly loosing heart to play because I'm getting sick fo being carried all the time. Most of my missions end up with pimped out godframes obliterating any opposition while I'm running around as poor Tenno cousin dealing DMG contribution within statistical error.

It would be nice for a change to play actually coop with people not being only dead weight. So my question is what are some good combos (frames and weapons) that can actually contribute to fight, even without being fully moded? Or there is no such thing and until DE decideds to let me complete proper builds I must accept being useless?

Thanks in advance

22 answers to this question

This is from the assumption that you just recently started playing the game:

If you're a fairly new player to the game, I would suggest playing with other players around your same level. Playing with veterans in this game is kind of hectic for new players.

Many frames can be good, as-well as weapons. So I would suggest playing the game leisurely rather then non stop grind to reach the top. It takes many players a long time to reach to the level you have seen in game, where players crush all the enemies around them.

Baro brought the same thing as last week, because of the recent revamp of star chart and the void.

TL:DR: Play the game in your own pace, because you will eventually acquire the good gear in this game.

13 minutes ago, BrandingIron said:

Hi!

Second time since I started playing Baro brought only crap. This leads to utter frustration because most of the builds I saw require 1 or more primed mods. I'm slowly loosing heart to play because I'm getting sick fo being carried all the time. Most of my missions end up with pimped out godframes obliterating any opposition while I'm running around as poor Tenno cousin dealing DMG contribution within statistical error.

It would be nice for a change to play actually coop with people not being only dead weight. So my question is what are some good combos (frames and weapons) that can actually contribute to fight, even without being fully moded? Or there is no such thing and until DE decideds to let me complete proper builds I must accept being useless?

Thanks in advance

You do realize it's because of recent void changes that Baro didn't bring anything new or spectacular, they even made an official post on it.

http://warframe-builder.com/ also has countless builds you can see, I'm also sure others will likely pitch in, specific builds depends on your preferred weapon and/or frame, most frames and weapons can be made perfectly viable with the right mods.

Another thing, primed mods are a costly luxury, there's nothing wrong with their non primed variants.

Edited by Artorius-Alter

4 minutes ago, BrandingIron said:

because most of the builds I saw

Hi

So your just new and your already looking at builds ? I play since the closed beta and there are not really "best" builds, Primed are just a plus, normal mods are totally fine, even non fully maxed mods.

And nobody is useless, its not because you have like 3% of the damages or not many kills that you are useless.

In a capture missions you can have 0% damages and be the one who save the hostage. As long as your working on the objective with the team, you will be important. Or maybe your doing too high level missions, which of course will result that you won't deal much damages.

its normal if baro sell crap...dont be frustrated its always like this and the prime mod you need are rarely selled, because they are good and every one want them and there is a lot of things he can sell and there is no way to know what he's gonna show us + prime mods and weapons cost you ducats and credits so even if he sell nothing good 1 time or 2 or 3 in a row  it gives you time t farm those things and be sure to have enough when he'll get something interesting

and for the weapons and frames a recommend... litterally anything for the frames and for the weapons too the more you'll play the better youll get and the better your stuff will get and you'll learn what is good and what you like to use (some people really like bows other heavy rifffles, shotguns)

Edited by Alkarius_666

Everyone is giving you the wrong advice.

Is not all about the Primed mods when it comes to frames, until a few months ago I played without them.

You want to invest time researching/farming for Corrupt mods, now, those really make a crazy difference. 

Look for the Dragon key blueprints, farm easy relics and look for groups doing Vault runs.

Primed Mods are really only essential if you're trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of an item, and are usually featured on builds that have a good amount of Forma on them to boot. The same goes for Arcanes, Nightmare mods, Corrupted mods or Augments. Or even just the rarer stuff like Prime equipment, Berserker, Rage, and Quick Thinking.

You can, in all seriousness, complete the map using nothing but a Karak with readily-available mods on*. No Forma required, only a Catalyst. The key is modding for the enemy. That set-up isn't going to work very well against the Corpus but it will put a serious hurt on the Grineer. The same general point stands with any weapon. Shotguns received a massive buff a while back and are easy to use; the Hek by itself is a monster and if you can get a hold of the Scattered Justice mod from Steel Meridian (most players are aligned with them as primaries or have them as secondaries via the Red Veil) the damage it will offer is stupendous.

But to get the most out of a weapon you need to mod it properly. Impact, Magnetic, and Toxin or Gas/Magnetic against the Corpus. Slash with Gas/Cold or Corrosive/Fire for Infested. Puncture with Corrosive/Fire, Corrosive/Cold, Radiation/Viral, Radiation/Fire or Radiation/Cold against the Grineer. Having the right damage types gets you either bonus damage against the enemy, or at least ensures you aren't having your damage reduced by resistances.

Warframes are harder to advise on. Everyone enjoys different things. You can still get a great Excalibur going, one that's very well-rounded and can stay in Exalted Blade for three and a half minutes if that's what you want to do. Or have a Nova that slows the enemy by 60% and doubles the damage they take with daisy-chaining explosions whenever one dies. Or help your squad by keeping the enemy locked down in Chaos with a Nyx. Or support them with heals and Energy replenishment by using a Trinity. See what works for you.

Primed, Nightmare, Corrupted, Drift, and Augment mods aren't that important in and of themselves. They give players more options, but the absolute most important thing, what will give you a far larger benefit than rolling into a game with 30 Forma across your loadout and maxed Primed/Corrupted/etc mods up the wazoo is knowing how to mod effectively and how to tailor your play style against the enemy for whatever objective you've been assigned.

*Why is it only using a Rank 8 Serration and not a Rank 10 Serration? Maxing Serration is a giant pain for newer players. Getting it to Rank 8 is somewhat difficult but not over the top in that regard, and the build has room to grow to Rank 10 in time.

Edited by WrathAscending

1 hour ago, AurumandArgentum said:

Dude, what, your only an initiate and your already focusing on all this stuff? Slow the hell down mate.

Forum rank is based on post count and not on ingame MR.

Anyway, Baro took a vacation this last week so DE can properly gauge the flow of prime parts coming in to the market, and look at whether or not Baro's prices need adjustments.  Once the market stabilizes a bit, he'll be back with the good stuff.

So, you're wondering what warframes and weapons will work well without extensive and expensive modding.  In other words, what works "out of the box", fresh out of the foundry.  If you're a new player, that's great, because some of the best unmodded equipment is found early in the game! 

Warframes

Excalibur requires very little modding to work well, and hey, he's a starting frame!  His toolkit is varied and covers all of the essentials.  He's not a tank, but he's robust enough to endure most of what the solar system throws at him.  As you actually acquire the means to mod him out, his capabilities scale well.  Similarly, Rhino is available on Venus, and Frost is now available on Mars.  Both frames are more tanky than Excalibur, scale well when modded, and have a kit of abilities that will be useful for you and your allies.  All three of these frames are available very early on or immediately, and even without extensive modding, can knuckle down and get the job done anywhere in the solar system.

Weapons

With weaponry, modding for damage is a lot more essential, but there are still some great early choices that will be a big improvement from your starting equipment.  For primary weapons, I would recommend the Boltor, or Boltor Prime, and the Paris.  By Mastery Rank 5, options like the Amprex and Ignis can be found in a clan dojo, but the Tonkor overshadows them all, and is available straight from the market.  One of the best early secondary weapons is the Lex, and the Lex Prime can be used effectively anywhere.  For melee weapons, the Heat Sword, the Scindo, and the Orthos are great options after the Skana, and by the time you complete the Second Dream quest, you'll have the strongest sword in the game.  Also become familiar with the elemental vulnerabilities and resistances of each faction in the game, as it can make a serious difference if your damage output feels a bit lacking.

Finally, a PSA to new players...

If you're a newer player, focusing on builds that will take you to end-game content is a quick way to frustrate yourself.  You're simply not there yet, nor should you be.  As you play, advancement should be noticeable, but it should also be incremental, rather than instantaneous.  So, my first piece of advice is, change your expectations to what is realistic, and with that, change your goals.  If you set several smaller goals for yourself ("I want this frame", "I want these mods"), and then find a way to achieve those smaller goals as you work toward broader ones ("I want to explore the star chart", "I want to complete Second Dream") you can find a way to steadily progress, without burning yourself out.  With that, I'll make a few things clear.

No build will require Primed mods unless it's very niche in what it does.  Primed mods have a lot more ranks than their normal conterparts, which is what gives them the extra "oomph", but it also means they're a lot more work to rank up, and then make the room to accommodate them in your warframe or weapon.  In the early game, worrying about Primed mods is a waste of time and resources. 

Instead, look for corrupted mods, in the vaults of the Orokin Derelict, for your min/maxing needs.  These mods offer greater bonuses than normal mods, but with an associated penalty.  Consider what your warframe specializes in, and play to those strengths.  From dark sector missions, Life Strike can be a serious game-changer, greatly augmenting your survivability.  Spy missions reward many special weapon mods, including elemental damage/status mods, and Covert Lethality.  Completing the nodes on a planet opens up nightmare missions, granting special mods for braving new challenges.  In other words, if you explore the content the game has to offer, with a little direction, powerful mods are an inevitability.

Edited by Dell_the_Engie

Dude you dont need Baro to become a god in this game. If you are waiting for good stuff from baro then i will assume you can generate plat now either by trading or buying it. Get the mods.

Damage mods (Serration, Point Blank, Pressure Point, Hornet Strike) no need to max them out too. Rank 6-8 is easy to achieve. Then your Elemental mods (electricity, cold, heat, toxin) these can be maxed out easily especially the nightmare counterpart.

Then Multishot mods (split chamber, hell's chamber... etc..). 

For crit build weapons (Vital Sense, Point Strike.. etc...) most of these mods can be traded for like 3 plat each if you are having difficulty farming them.

For Warframes get the essentials Redirection, Vitality, Streamline, Intensify, Flow, Continuity, Stretch, Aura mods. Also work on getting fleeting expertise max it out and combine it with streamline and boom insta spam abilities.

Balance your arsenal and by that what i meant is if your using a CC oriented frame (vauban, nyx, nova)pair it up with a buffed up weapon, if you have a killing frame like ember, mesa (needs good modded pistol) or ash (pwr str, efficiency) then anything goes with the weapons with those frames. Tank frames the best for me right now is Inaros and rhino. Inaros is easy to build just vitality and steel fiber and your good to go. As far as progressing with weapons do it one at a time if you like Rifles then start with it then work on secondary or melee. The wikia has been a great help to me understanding frames abilities and what it needs you try that too. good luck. took me like less than a week to start raping the entire starchart. Trading mods even r5 cores, I bought em just to speed up the process no shame in that. Still up to now the only baro item i got is primed continuity, not even a need for me I just bought it coz it was available.

Its great that he is trying to gear up and improve.

You can do anything you need to do with normal mods ... grab a flow and continue normal versions.  It will take you a while before you have ranked up, got fully formaed weapon and frame, have your focus perks,  have the essential frames, have your element and base damage mods maxed out, have your rep mods, and so on.   It just takes time ... enjoy the game,  get what you can.  The primed stuff will come around again sooner or later.  With the new cabbage crackin loot approach, youll have your hands full earning traces and farming cabbages anyway.  

You can use a normal Continuity and still be fine.

You can use normal Flow and still be fine.

You can use normal Pressure Point and still be fine.

Just use normal mods, and use skill to compensate until Baro stops bringing Primed Disappointment.

This might not be all that relevant, but here are a couple screenshots of a defense mission I played during Update 9.5

Spoiler

ijYdoOV.jpg

Spoiler

YOFDRRZ.jpg

As you can see enemy scaling with different waves on Defense missions back then was pretty abysmal. But even with my rank 16 Vauban and 32 kills with my rank 17 Strun as compared to the guy with over a thousand kills, I wasn't utterly useless since Vauban's Bastille is great for crowd control, especially against the infested. I can *almost* guarantee you that without that Bastille power, we wouldn't have gotten that far.

My point being is that just because you are low level with trash weapons doesn't necessarily mean you're useless. You just have to find what conditions your current frame/weapons excel in.

We got along quite well for over two years without primed mods. You can get along just fine now.

They're nice to have and something to strive for but they don't really change anything. They're just a bit more than what came before.

The main thing is to learn why certain mod strategies work. Just slavishly following someone else's builds won't really get you very far. You might learn a new playstyle, but most warframe builds are tailored to the builder's playstyle You need to know why you're doing certain things. There isn't just one way to do things and there's no "best" build--for anything.

Weapons are a slightly different story since they do damage and ultimately the spreadsheet rules. However, you can't miss something hard enough or fast enough to kill it, so there is some degree of tailoring for gunhandling and playstyle. Still, there are hard numbers here that are hard to ignore.

Weapons do just one thing. Warframes can do many things. Build accordingly. Ultimately, need drives the gear train.

18 hours ago, Souldend78 said:

Everyone is giving you the wrong advice.

Is not all about the Primed mods when it comes to frames, until a few months ago I played without them.

You want to invest time researching/farming for Corrupt mods, now, those really make a crazy difference. 

Look for the Dragon key blueprints, farm easy relics and look for groups doing Vault runs.

^  ^ ^ ^ ^
This right here is the winning answer.   Short, to the point and correct. 

Primed mods are bonuses but not make or break.  Corrupt mods unlock the real sh---stuff.

And don't forget the Nightmare mods, Lethal Torrent for pistols is a must and there are some very useful, if not "high powered", mods in the Nightmare category. (Shred, Focus Energy, Constitution, Animal Instinct, for example)

20 hours ago, BrandingIron said:

Hi!

Thanks in advance

Haha, you are indeed new to this game if you think like this.

Primed Mods are indeed quite strong, but they are in no form, way or shape mandatory. With a build full of primed mods vs non-primed, you may face enemies like 20 levels higher, that's it.

If I was to switch my Primed Mods (I have them all) for their non-primed counter parts, I could still fight lvl 100 enemies no problem with a variety of gear. So what is your excuse?

Btw, they are incredibly hard to rank, not even mentioning maxing, for a new player and they require multiple forma on all of your gear to even slot. You would gain nothing from them this early on.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart