Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr would need buffs

Air-mage

Its a good frame with versatily but low on spell power, and its first spell is basically a bullet jump with energy cost and damage.

I'd recommend giving it an additional passive, so it deals more damage with spells when air gliding, and when hitting airborne enemies.

Edited by Air-mage

Welcome to the forums!

Technically zephyr's passive is the low gravity modifier, so i doubt they would simply add another.

Zephyr deserves some tweaks for sure, as with a a number of other warframes. Many suggestions are 'floating' around, like merging the first and second abilities to free a place for a new one, possibly involving, sure, damage boosts and such.

In the meanwhile, you could explore the world of mayem wich is the zephyr+tonkor 'glitch' build, then proceed to name it Tonkephyr Mrs Zephykor for never going back.

Ever.

I warned you.

Edited by dadaddadada

Also welcome!

And Zephyr is one of the frames that's being most talked about for re-works lately. DE have said that they're currently working on Limbo, which has quieted down those threads, and the other two are Oberon and Hydroid... the former is a favourite, the latter... nobody seems to care (worrying to a degree, we love to complain and rework here...)

There's about five current re-work threads for Zephyr, do take a look down the forum listing for them. But if you have ideas of your own, let's hear them!

Great to find another Zephyr player, I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

1 hour ago, dadaddadada said:

In the meanwhile, you could explore the world of mayem wich is the zephyr+tonkor 'glitch' build, then proceed to name it Tonkephyr Mrs Zephykor for never going back.

Ever.

I warned you.

Further explanation:

If you have enough power strength with jet stream (237%, or ~177% if you have terminal velocity on your tonkor) it makes the projectile go so fast that it has very little arc and explodes on contact with terrain.

This is dementedly destructive. It's magnificent.

I've been playing a LOT more Zephyr lately than I had previously and I gotta say, what she does, she does well. Defensive mobility is Zephyr's strong suit. It's not really important when in a mission like defense, but in a survival or sabotage, it becomes incredibly useful. I have yet to die with Turbulence on, it's that good. You could say I've been maiming her the last few weeks, so I can honestly assess her issues.

Her major issues revolve around her inconsistent other three abilities. It's more like 2.5 of her abilities if I'm being genuine, as her #1 can be pretty damn useful when moving or escaping eximus auras. However, her second is beyond pointless..... and I mean that almost literally. You just wasted 50 energy on a ground slam......A FREAKING GROUND SLAM!!! And her 4, I flipped a table so hard about it the other day. Why are the Tornadoes SOOOO random? They have the worst patching A.I. I've ever seen on any usuable power in any video game..... EVER! They only serve a purpose as emergency CC, which is actually pretty subpar even then. 100 energy, for subpar CC? No ty.

Now how do we go about rectifying these issues? I honestly couldn't tell you, but her two HAS to go. I don't care what else happens, get it the hell out of here. She's a wind based frame, give her something that isn't "Faceplant" for 50 energy. Not only does it underwhelm in combat situations, it visually seems rather lazily implemented. While we're at it, her ULT could use a scrapping too. I liked the idea of 4 rage tempest tornadoes, but with that patching A.I., just no. Make it an offensive ability, because her kit is in desperate need of one. 

Sorry....this got kinda long. Hopefully she gets looked at in the few months. Until then, I'll be rocking that Hitsu-San tennogen skin (Hargomo???) that console tenno can finally get.

10 hours ago, (PS4)KikoEschobar said:

I've been playing a LOT more Zephyr lately than I had previously and I gotta say, what she does, she does well. Defensive mobility is Zephyr's strong suit. It's not really important when in a mission like defense, but in a survival or sabotage, it becomes incredibly useful. I have yet to die with Turbulence on, it's that good. You could say I've been maiming her the last few weeks, so I can honestly assess her issues.

Her major issues revolve around her inconsistent other three abilities. It's more like 2.5 of her abilities if I'm being genuine, as her #1 can be pretty damn useful when moving or escaping eximus auras. However, her second is beyond pointless..... and I mean that almost literally. You just wasted 50 energy on a ground slam......A FREAKING GROUND SLAM!!! And her 4, I flipped a table so hard about it the other day. Why are the Tornadoes SOOOO random? They have the worst patching A.I. I've ever seen on any usuable power in any video game..... EVER! They only serve a purpose as emergency CC, which is actually pretty subpar even then. 100 energy, for subpar CC? No ty.

Now how do we go about rectifying these issues? I honestly couldn't tell you, but her two HAS to go. I don't care what else happens, get it the hell out of here. She's a wind based frame, give her something that isn't "Faceplant" for 50 energy. Not only does it underwhelm in combat situations, it visually seems rather lazily implemented. While we're at it, her ULT could use a scrapping too. I liked the idea of 4 rage tempest tornadoes, but with that patching A.I., just no. Make it an offensive ability, because her kit is in desperate need of one. 

Sorry....this got kinda long. Hopefully she gets looked at in the few months. Until then, I'll be rocking that Hitsu-San tennogen skin (Hargomo???) that console tenno can finally get.

Divebomb is 25 energy.

Although I completely agree with you. I don't think I've ever used divebomb seriously - and I've tried making builds specifically for its augment, but it's just terrible.

Tailwind and turbulence are basically the two Zephyr abilities I use the most. I've never been a fan of tornado for just the reasons you describe - honestly my most effective tornado builds have often been with low duration just so I can recast and keep them on something useful.

An offensive ability would be nice, but it doesn't matter as long as Zephyr gets some form of team utility - because until then she's just not going to be used. IIRC she was named on a devstream as one of the three least used frames in the game along with Banshee and Limbo (and then they buffed Banshee). EDIT: I was wrong, Banshee wasn't changed.

I suspect she'll only get attention when she's primed in 2017/2018, though.

Edited by Arkenai7

4 hours ago, Arkenai7 said:

Divebomb is 25 energy.

Although I completely agree with you. I don't think I've ever used divebomb seriously - and I've tried making builds specifically for its augment, but it's just terrible.

Tailwind and turbulence are basically the two Zephyr abilities I use the most. I've never been a fan of tornado for just the reasons you describe - honestly my most effective tornado builds have often been with low duration just so I can recast and keep them on something useful.

An offensive ability would be nice, but it doesn't matter as long as Zephyr gets some form of team utility - because until then she's just not going to be used. IIRC she was named on a devstream as one of the three least used frames in the game along with Banshee and Limbo (and then they buffed Banshee).

I suspect she'll only get attention when she's primed in 2017/2018, though.

Banshee was buffed?

On 8/20/2016 at 5:34 PM, Arkenai7 said:

Further explanation:

If you have enough power strength with jet stream (237%, or ~177% if you have terminal velocity on your tonkor) it makes the projectile go so fast that it has very little arc and explodes on contact with terrain.

This is dementedly destructive. It's magnificent.

I must try this.

But yeah, people have been calling for Zephyr reworks for a while. They're already complaining about the new frame. Honestly, Zephyr was one of my most used frames before The Parkour Update. Most people it seems use her for the near immunity to corpus. The advantages of the first ability got nerfed significantly by the introduction of the bullet jump. At least you can use them nearly infinitely. Running efficiency and negative duration makes the tornadoes more useful and the jumps easier to control.

5 hours ago, achromos said:

Zephyr just needs Loki's Passive but for staying in the air with right click.

A lot of people have said this, but I'm not so sure. Doesn't Zephyr already have extra air time from reduced weight? The glide should be no exception. Now, I would appreciate being able to turn while I aim-glide.

I think Zephyr has a solid play style. Dive Bomb's range makes it useless, depending on your melee weapon, and range mods. (It's extremely rare for an ability to be truly useless.) Tornadoes have consistency issues, so I think they should be changed to all spawn near Zephyr, and then spread out. (The tornado inconsistency is why I ship her with Hydroid though. That ship may be sunk or blown out the water.)

As an alternative change with Dive Bomb, reducing the cost to 5-15 energy would be nice, along with decreasing Zephyr's fall speed. That would make Dive Bomb her best method of getting on the ground, while also increasing her emphasis on airborne combat.

4 hours ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

As an alternative change with Dive Bomb, reducing the cost to 5-15 energy would be nice, along with decreasing Zephyr's fall speed. That would make Dive Bomb her best method of getting on the ground, while also increasing her emphasis on airborne combat.

Isn't that what Zephyr already has? It only costs 25 and with the right efficiency mods, it can cost as little as 6 energy. I don't recommend doing that though because it kills duration. The extra fall speed decrease would be nice. I think the reason we haven't seen a rework for the frame is that, as you said, Zephyr does have solid play-styles. It's just a hair below the rest of the pack in terms of "viability" and consistency.

On 2016. 08. 20. at 0:32 AM, Thaylien said:

Also welcome!

And Zephyr is one of the frames that's being most talked about for re-works lately. DE have said that they're currently working on Limbo, which has quieted down those threads, and the other two are Oberon and Hydroid... the former is a favourite, the latter... nobody seems to care (worrying to a degree, we love to complain and rework here...)

There's about five current re-work threads for Zephyr, do take a look down the forum listing for them. But if you have ideas of your own, let's hear them!

Great to find another Zephyr player, I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

i hope he won't get a complete rework, shield aside i love his kit

but instead of shield i came up with a new spell, somewhat similar to it. it siphons enemy shields (or hp if they run out of shield, but i think it would be a bit too op) in a medium area to you and deals small aoe dot slash damage, granting shield based on the damage output of it.

Edited by Air-mage

13 hours ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

I think Zephyr has a solid play style. Dive Bomb's range makes it useless, depending on your melee weapon, and range mods. (It's extremely rare for an ability to be truly useless.) Tornadoes have consistency issues, so I think they should be changed to all spawn near Zephyr, and then spread out. (The tornado inconsistency is why I ship her with Hydroid though. That ship may be sunk or blown out the water.)

noo, tornadoes now spawn where enemies are, if they can'T find anyone they already spawn in front of you and beegin moving to closest enemy, changing their current move pattern would be a major nerf (unless it includes releporting on next target after a target group is finished)

On 2016. 08. 21. at 3:32 AM, (PS4)KikoEschobar said:

am i the only one without issues on tornado movement? they spawn at enemy right after cast, and seek enemies after everyone in them got thrown out, or killed

as for dive bomb it has bad ratios, but it can sometimes still be usefull for a more reliable cc than slam,or when you need precision landing

Edited by Air-mage

3 hours ago, Air-mage said:

i hope he won't get a complete rework, shield aside i love his kit

but instead of shield i came up with a new spell, somewhat similar to it. it siphons enemy shields (or hp if they run out of shield, but i think it would be a bit too op) in a medium area to you and deals small aoe dot slash damage, granting shield based on the damage output of it.

She's a lovely frame, and there's actually plenty of reworks that don't change what she does, just give her more options.

For example, there's simple ideas like combining Tailwind and Dive Bomb into one ability, the how of that is in debate. A popular idea is to make Tailwind simply explode like Dive Bomb every time you hit something... but that one is a little over the top and could get very annoying for people trying to use her for mobility. I like the idea of keeping the two pretty much the same, but you cast them both from 1 by how you're aiming; on the ground you launch, in the air you jet around, and if you aim down a target appears on the ground to show you're going to cast Dive Bomb and you smash into it (this last one is often debated as to whether it should be an angle of descent, or straight down).

This one would free up 2 for new ability. Now there's dozens of ideas for that too... not going there, there's lots of debate.

Turbulence? Love it, never change.

2 hours ago, Air-mage said:

am i the only one without issues on tornado movement? they spawn at enemy right after cast, and seek enemies after everyone in them got thrown out, or killed

Don't take it the wrong way, but actually yes you're one of the very few.

They don't truly seek enemies (too slow to do that and the range on the seek is actually surprisingly low), they can wander off, they can even escape from the map or just sit in a corner all cast doing nothing because they don't follow the Nav Mesh that the enemies do, so they can all-too-often go where there aren't any enemies to hit. Add to this that they scatter survivors and loot everywhere (unless there's a roof, in which case it pins them there ad-infinitum), which is annoying to a team, their ability to absorb our damage type means they can't be shot through by us, but can be shot through by our enemies, they can't be turned off, they are, in fact, one of the most unreliable sources of CC and damage in the game (and that's what the ability is supposed to do, CC and damage).

To fix this a lot of the reworks try to replace this ability entirely and... I just don't agree with them. You can't replace the multi-funnel tornado cast! It's thematically brilliant, and is a great way of showing how the ability scales as the warframe grows, by forming more and more funnels as you max it.

If I was going to do it... well, here, it's a bit of a rant: 

Spoiler

I would only do one thing: limit the range. Why? Because I can buff the entire rest of the ability. The unlimited wander roaming is what's hurting the ability because if the current Tornado was able to reliably detect, target and seek enemies, at speed, at a decent range from the funnels, able to consistently catch them, then it would be literally better than Vauban's Vortex, because it's a longer-lasting ability with four Vortex-alikes that seek enemies around the map. We can't make it direct upgrade from another ability, that's never going to fly by DE.

On the other hand, if you were to make it a fixed radius cast (range mod affected), you can buff the speed, give it active enemy seek (they target anything that crosses the range border), glue it to the Nav Mesh to hunt enemies where they'll actually be, then you could keep the same damage and the elemental absorb, but also prevent enemies from shooting through the funnels to make it fair, and then adjust that release function on the funnels.

The release function is one of my pet peeves and one thing that I would change even without the rest of the rework. Currently survivors and loot reach the top and get pushed to the edge, then launched sideways, which is annoying as hell if you're on an exterminate, defense, interception or survival where killing all the enemies is needed at some points, or all the time, to finish the mission. They also aren't released if they hit a ceiling before moving to the edge and can get stuck there, pressed to the ceiling, until your ability ends. I've even seen enemies get physically pushed out of the map and thus made impossible to kill, forcing the mission to fail. Under this rework, the function would be a release with upward momentum. They are held for a duration, then released upwards, and that funnel cannot pick them up again until they've landed. This keeps all enemies and loot in a contained area, like the other hard-CC abilities, Vortex and Tentacle Swarm, but with the Quality of Life change that enemies won't be stuck in the air permanently, and the fun of having enemies flung skywards in a reliable fashion for people to take pot-shots at (clay pigeon shooting anyone?)

Keep the ability essentially the same, have some quality of life fixes on how it handles enemies and loot it picks up, but give it a buff by putting a range constraint on the cast.

I've also seen suggested something that I would really, really enjoy: aim-gliding into a funnel boosts you up in the air. That would make a tenno trampoline, and entertain people for whole runs at a time XD

Finally? An off switch. Cancel and then recast, not Vauban style cast it anywhere, or Hyrdoid style recast immediately, but an active cancel to turn the ability off if you need to.

So that would be it. The main thing is quality of life fixes for the abilities as they are, bring them up to standards of today's play.

Dive Bomb is a useful CC ability, if only it guaranteed a knock-down on things in a larger range at base, it would be a far more easy ability to buff with height for damage and range.

Tailwind is incredibly mobile, but hitting walls is awkward and happens all the time, so maybe putting in an animation recover, hitting the wall is then extendable into a wall-cling by pressing aim, or turns into a wall-run by holding jump, or you can just Tailwind again in a new direction.

And fixing Tornado... even if we don't get a full re-work, the release mechanics, making it stick to the nav mesh, that boost-into-the-air idea for aim gliding, enemies not being able to shoot through the funnels, an off button... these would be wonderful!

You see, Zephyr has two things she's good at; personal defense and mobility. Very good at these. What she attempts to have is CC and even an offense ability, but she's actually terrible at those. Adjusting Dive Bomb and Tornado would fix that, and she'd have that strong CC aspect to her again.

But it's the change in focus that a new 2 would bring her, that's something I'm very excited to see. Binding Dive Bomb into Tailwind mechanically, so they appear on the same number, would open up worlds of possibility.

I'm personally pushing a ranged ability, like a single-point CC cast that gets stronger over range. Although I'm also leaning into a team buff ability that grants all allies in range of the initial cast a reason to use aerial parkour abilities too, additional evasion in the air, or even a situational damage buff.

Heh, put simply, I just want to play Zephyr, but better, and not be discouraged from using any of her abilities.

I've been saying this for 2? (how long has zephyr been out?) years, Zephyr needs love. 1-2 combined, 3 made more effective, 4 either made to focus on CC or Damage, instead of doing both poorly. make 3 into 2, 4 into 3, and give her a flying ultimate.

Edited by Skaleek

23 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

She's a lovely frame, and there's actually plenty of reworks that don't change what she does, just give her more options.

For example, there's simple ideas like combining Tailwind and Dive Bomb into one ability, the how of that is in debate. A popular idea is to make Tailwind simply explode like Dive Bomb every time you hit something... but that one is a little over the top and could get very annoying for people trying to use her for mobility. I like the idea of keeping the two pretty much the same, but you cast them both from 1 by how you're aiming; on the ground you launch, in the air you jet around, and if you aim down a target appears on the ground to show you're going to cast Dive Bomb and you smash into it (this last one is often debated as to whether it should be an angle of descent, or straight down).

This one would free up 2 for new ability. Now there's dozens of ideas for that too... not going there, there's lots of debate.

Turbulence? Love it, never change.

Don't take it the wrong way, but actually yes you're one of the very few.

They don't truly seek enemies (too slow to do that and the range on the seek is actually surprisingly low), they can wander off, they can even escape from the map or just sit in a corner all cast doing nothing because they don't follow the Nav Mesh that the enemies do, so they can all-too-often go where there aren't any enemies to hit. Add to this that they scatter survivors and loot everywhere (unless there's a roof, in which case it pins them there ad-infinitum), which is annoying to a team, their ability to absorb our damage type means they can't be shot through by us, but can be shot through by our enemies, they can't be turned off, they are, in fact, one of the most unreliable sources of CC and damage in the game (and that's what the ability is supposed to do, CC and damage).

To fix this a lot of the reworks try to replace this ability entirely and... I just don't agree with them. You can't replace the multi-funnel tornado cast! It's thematically brilliant, and is a great way of showing how the ability scales as the warframe grows, by forming more and more funnels as you max it.

If I was going to do it... well, here, it's a bit of a rant: 

Reveal hidden contents

I would only do one thing: limit the range. Why? Because I can buff the entire rest of the ability. The unlimited wander roaming is what's hurting the ability because if the current Tornado was able to reliably detect, target and seek enemies, at speed, at a decent range from the funnels, able to consistently catch them, then it would be literally better than Vauban's Vortex, because it's a longer-lasting ability with four Vortex-alikes that seek enemies around the map. We can't make it direct upgrade from another ability, that's never going to fly by DE.

On the other hand, if you were to make it a fixed radius cast (range mod affected), you can buff the speed, give it active enemy seek (they target anything that crosses the range border), glue it to the Nav Mesh to hunt enemies where they'll actually be, then you could keep the same damage and the elemental absorb, but also prevent enemies from shooting through the funnels to make it fair, and then adjust that release function on the funnels.

The release function is one of my pet peeves and one thing that I would change even without the rest of the rework. Currently survivors and loot reach the top and get pushed to the edge, then launched sideways, which is annoying as hell if you're on an exterminate, defense, interception or survival where killing all the enemies is needed at some points, or all the time, to finish the mission. They also aren't released if they hit a ceiling before moving to the edge and can get stuck there, pressed to the ceiling, until your ability ends. I've even seen enemies get physically pushed out of the map and thus made impossible to kill, forcing the mission to fail. Under this rework, the function would be a release with upward momentum. They are held for a duration, then released upwards, and that funnel cannot pick them up again until they've landed. This keeps all enemies and loot in a contained area, like the other hard-CC abilities, Vortex and Tentacle Swarm, but with the Quality of Life change that enemies won't be stuck in the air permanently, and the fun of having enemies flung skywards in a reliable fashion for people to take pot-shots at (clay pigeon shooting anyone?)

Keep the ability essentially the same, have some quality of life fixes on how it handles enemies and loot it picks up, but give it a buff by putting a range constraint on the cast.

I've also seen suggested something that I would really, really enjoy: aim-gliding into a funnel boosts you up in the air. That would make a tenno trampoline, and entertain people for whole runs at a time XD

Finally? An off switch. Cancel and then recast, not Vauban style cast it anywhere, or Hyrdoid style recast immediately, but an active cancel to turn the ability off if you need to.

So that would be it. The main thing is quality of life fixes for the abilities as they are, bring them up to standards of today's play.

Dive Bomb is a useful CC ability, if only it guaranteed a knock-down on things in a larger range at base, it would be a far more easy ability to buff with height for damage and range.

Tailwind is incredibly mobile, but hitting walls is awkward and happens all the time, so maybe putting in an animation recover, hitting the wall is then extendable into a wall-cling by pressing aim, or turns into a wall-run by holding jump, or you can just Tailwind again in a new direction.

And fixing Tornado... even if we don't get a full re-work, the release mechanics, making it stick to the nav mesh, that boost-into-the-air idea for aim gliding, enemies not being able to shoot through the funnels, an off button... these would be wonderful!

You see, Zephyr has two things she's good at; personal defense and mobility. Very good at these. What she attempts to have is CC and even an offense ability, but she's actually terrible at those. Adjusting Dive Bomb and Tornado would fix that, and she'd have that strong CC aspect to her again.

But it's the change in focus that a new 2 would bring her, that's something I'm very excited to see. Binding Dive Bomb into Tailwind mechanically, so they appear on the same number, would open up worlds of possibility.

I'm personally pushing a ranged ability, like a single-point CC cast that gets stronger over range. Although I'm also leaning into a team buff ability that grants all allies in range of the initial cast a reason to use aerial parkour abilities too, additional evasion in the air, or even a situational damage buff.

Heh, put simply, I just want to play Zephyr, but better, and not be discouraged from using any of her abilities.

the wall of text is nearly longer than my......... so sorry but i will skip partial quotes

dive bomb could be added as extra cc and damage when using tailwind and using melee smash

I see your point, and agree, tornadoes would need more movement speed and a turn on/off option like Mind control or banshee quake, and other fixes would be much needed

Single point ranged spell wouldn't fit thematically i think, and that buff would be always either too weak or too strong with balance troubles. If there comes an extra spell a semi-ranged windy aoe with low/mediocre cost and pushbacks would be better (imagine someone waving a destreza with 10x range, bit lower dmg and more pushback)

Tornadoes need to be WIDER. Things run straight passed them! It's so bad. Tornadoes are huge. As others have said, the AI for them are terrible too. You need max range for them to actually go after enemies and they don't always target enemies right next to her when cast.

Would be nice to have a mod that makes them circle her or something (distance dictated by range), so they can move with her and protect her better.

I remember reading on one of these threads that a good ability for slot 2 would be adding impact or punch through procs to nearby allies. If I were to give Zephyr a cc ability to her second ability, I'd make a version of tailwind that only affected enemies:

• Gust (50 energy)
    • Zephyr sends a gust of wind to blast away enemies
      • This ability would function like a really big cylindrical projectile only blocked by terrain and shields. Enemies would be ragdolled in the direction of the gust. I imagine mods having a similar effect to it as Tailwind as well. The only real difference might be power strength, which would change the degree of CC enemies would feel. The real damage would come from colliding with walls (if it's strong enough to actually send someone flying)

To encourage people to use Zephyr in the air, you could make it launch enemies straight up while on the ground, just like Tailwind. Or not. Again, this is just an idea. Frames like Atlas and Chroma would probably hate it though.

Just occurred to me: if Zephyr uses this in midair, Zephyr could be pushed in the opposite direction because of "equal and opposite reaction" or something. Not as strong as Tailwind, but some extra air mobility to be sure.

Also, considering how the current tailwind functions when colliding with terrain, Gust could be used to briefly pin enemies to walls.