Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Vacuum Within: Hotfix 1

[DE]Rebecca

I used Vacuum because I did not want to worry about picking up items.  The Vacuum mod was 12m and now it's 6m.  You halved the range!  I just want to play the game and not worry about if i got all the pickups off the ground.  Stop trying to make the game more tedious to play.  I would have rather just kept things the way they where then this.

I don't want to resort to insults since that is against the forum rules, but I want to make a blanket statement.

Vacuum users have had enough lazyness for far too long. It's not like a shortened range is equal to 'none at all'. I said this before and I'll say it again. The default pickup radius is generous enough (except Archwing) whereas other games don't even have that much. This isn't a game where everything should be handed to you on a silver platter. On the other hand, I never wanted Vacuum to be forced on me, so what about MY opinion should it be made 'default' for every Warframe?

Carrier still has an utility, and that's ammo. It's more practical and sensible than pickup lazyness. DEAL WITH IT.

@above

I used Vacuum because I did not want to worry about picking up items.  The Vacuum mod was 12m and now it's 6m.  You halved the range!  I just want to play the game and not worry about if i got all the pickups off the ground.  Stop trying to make the game more tedious to play.  I would have rather just kept things the way they where then this.

Animal Instinct. You never have one despite periodic Alerts giving it? Why worry when you can SEE what's around the floor?

Edited by Raven_Face

Can you please make a public poll about vacuum pickup range decrease if you call it a “community driven experiment “? It seems majority of players don’t like this change - although it is great we can now use other sentinels with build-in vacuum feature!

sorry, maybe I'm confused, what is this radius<>diameter thing? Radius is the diameter around you which a thing happens is it not? As in , the radius of vacuum is 6m diameter around you. honest question, maybe I've been out of school to long, so please explain.

Just now, Raven_Face said:

I don't want to resort to insults since that is against the forum rules, but I want to make a blanket statement.

Vacuum users have had enough lazyness for far too long. It's not like a shortened range is equal to 'none at all'. I said this before and I'll say it again. The default pickup radius is generous enough (except Archwing) whereas other games don't even have that much. This isn't a game where everything should be handed to you on a silver platter. On the other hand, I never wanted Vacuum to be forced on me, so what about MY opinion should it be made 'default' for every Warframe?

Carrier still has an utility, and that's ammo. It's more practical and sensible than pickup lazyness. DEAL WITH IT.

If you never wanted Vacuum, why did you just not use the mod?  Why should the other 80% of players be forced to play like you when you have the options?

To make a blanket statement of my own; people defending the vacuum nerf seem to be personally offended by people not wanting to play like them.  But you are in the massive minority, and you have always had the option to not use vacuum. You always had the option to use other sentinels, or pets, or not bring a companion at all.

Now the option has been taken away from everyone else, can you really not see why they are upset? Why not buff the other sentinels so they have the same vacuum as carrier if you want people to try other ones? Why not just make the vacuum mod universal? Then people would still have the option to not use the mod if they find vacuum so personally offensive, and there would be more reason to use the other sentinels for people who enjoy the old vacuum.

13 minutes ago, SnuggleBuckets said:

The hyperbole, my god. There's a difference to exploring, and having a fiddly system of steering just right over some tiny scrap on the floor, time wasted you could spend exploring more and fighting more and moving more. Do you have any concept of ironing out the kinks, smoothing out the rough patches, streamlining the experience and improving the long term quality of life in gameplay? Vacuum was about removing obstacles to enjoying the gameplay, not about making things easier.

Again, I want to repeat, this isn't about catering to laziness or making things easy, because vacuum doesn't affect gameplay "balance" (and again, this isn't even a competitive game to begin with so wouldn't be an issue).

you still have vacuum, its far from pixel perfect in terms of picking up items. Nothing hyperbolic bout complaining that the game is ruined because you have to move a few feet to the left to pick something up. This whole patch is an upgrade that increases the variety of the game, especially if they add more unique synergy to other sentinels in the future. I wouldnt however be bothered by having a mod for vacuum as well, sacrifice some power potential for utility is a fair trade off, universal 12m vacuum at all times isnt necessary.

6 minutes ago, Babellon said:

sorry, maybe I'm confused, what is this radius<>diameter thing? Radius is the diameter around you which a thing happens is it not? As in , the radius of vacuum is 6m diameter around you. honest question, maybe I've been out of school to long, so please explain.

diameter = 2 * radius.

6 minutes ago, BrckaLo said:

diameter = 2 * radius.

um, what?

diameter is the size of a circle right? Radius is the distance around you in a circle...right? so, if the circle is 6 meters diameter...its radius is 6m around you in the center...isn't this correct?

corrected- if its 6m diameter its 3m radius..I really need to study some remedial math LOL

Edited by Babellon

Here's a great article about QoL features, calling it "oiling" but still talking about basic design choices meant to remove tedium, nuisance, hassle and rough edges from gameplay.

Link.

I bet if we poll the community, it'll easily be 80% who are not satisfied with the downgrade to vacuum and want it back to normal range.

5 minutes ago, Babellon said:

The post talking about how the Vacuum range is 6m in diameter references a circular perimeter with respect to your Sentinel being in the center. If the pickup range is 6m in diameter, it means that your Sentinel can pickup anything within a 3m radius in all directions. Try it out; play a mission solo with Loki and just break some containers and see how close you need to get in order for the passive Vacuum to activate.

3 minutes ago, Babellon said:

um, what?

|<----------Diameter---------->|
|<            Radius------------>|

Diameter is the distance across the entire circle, from side to side, Radius is the distance from center to one side.

So a 6 meter diameter would mean you only had a 3 meter radius. Or 3 meters from the sentinel to the items.

Edited by Khonsu-II

1 minute ago, bnShadow13 said:

The post talking about how the Vacuum range is 6m in diameter references a circular perimeter with respect to your Sentinel being in the center. If the pickup range is 6m in diameter, it means that your Sentinel can pickup anything within a 3m radius in all directions. Try it out; play a mission solo with Loki and just break some containers and see how close you need to get in order for the passive Vacuum to activate.

1 minute ago, Khonsu-II said:

|<----------Diameter---------->|
|<            Radius------------>|

Diameter is the distance across the entire circle, from side to side, Radius is the distance from center to one side.

ah, ok, so I wasn't entirely confused. thanks. now I get whats up.

7 minutes ago, Raven_Face said:

@above

Animal Instinct. You never have one despite periodic Alerts giving it? Why worry when you can SEE what's around the floor?

tahW

What benefit to the game is it to make us run around more to pick up items?  That is the question.  This is not a game about piking up things off the floor.  It is a game about jumping and flying round the map at high speed.  If the mod would have just been made available to all companions as it was things would have been fine.

6 minutes ago, Armetage said:

What benefit to the game is it to make us run around more to pick up items?  That is the question.  This is not a game about piking up things off the floor.  It is a game about jumping and flying round the map at high speed.  If the mod would have just been made available to all companions as it was things would have been fine.

I'd hate to break it to you, but there's a lot of stuff that drops...and I'm pretty sure you have to pick it up to get it.

How close you have to be may be change-able based on what they add...but you still have to be around it to pick it up.

Who plays a game with items literally labeled "pickups" and expects to never pick anything up?  That's like playing Super Mario and expecting to never see a mushroom...

Edited by Thaumatos

With each weapon the game becomes more grindier for new players and all players have to pick up the ammo/enery orb drops to enjoy the game after this.
Great job DE.

You ruined the end game with relics now this.

At least the game still in Beta.

Edited by PETI258

Everyone here is complaining about the vacuum nerf (which I personally side with) but I'm just here wondering why the metal tint on the new armor set is the primary, it really messes with other syandanas that have their metal tints on 4 (some have a spare on 2 and/or 3). It wouldn't be an issue if we could just color each individual attachment so they match the way we want them to . _.

Connecting having to walk a few steps as "increased grind" is a stretch as it is. I've done runs with the new vacuum using nekros. Still making around the same as usual in terms of pickups. I could understand maybe bumping the vacuum radius up to 8 meters, but reverting it back to 12 is not necessary. Needing that much range is just lazy.