The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

body diversity in lady frames

senatorspade

I've been asking for this for a while.

People laugh at Saryn cause she is all super hot meanwhile she is one of the 3 female frames that isnt actually a slim build.

They need to start adding something that isnt a slim figure but it doesnt look like they are. The new music frame is another slim female.

1 minute ago, tyranno66 said:

That is armor and muscle. Muscular females are not extremely large.

That's not armor. That's not human.

And even if it was, I don't see why not put bulky armor in female frames.

Edited by tnccs215

29 minutes ago, senatorspade said:

You bring up a good point about them building the warframe in their image, however they can't possibly have been as curvy and thin as the female warframes. if anything, it would represent their 'ideal' vision of a female. Of course there must have been some. But not all. I don't believe in the fact that there cannot be tanky female warframes. Also, warframes like Rhino are meant to withstand bullets, so his size is more of an advantage for that fact. Not all warframes are made for stealth. 

I don't really think the majority of them are really explicitly "curvy" (although my idea of what curvy means is probably pretty vague) though for the sake of build variety, If we say Nyx is hypothetically the "average" build for female frames (I choose her because she's pretty much a female Excalibur which I consider to be the "average" male build) Mag differs very slightly, Zephyr is actually bulkier, Equinox can take the build to both extremes, Trinity is pretty close build wise if not slightly bulkier because of her armor, Valkyr and Ember are both more muscular,  The frame I think Varies most from the standard is probably Saryn or Equinox.

I think there's actually a fairly good deal of build diversity in female frames I just don't think it's taken to as much of an extreme as it is in some male frames but even they don't really differ too far from excal since I see Loki, Volt, Oberon, Ash, Vauban, Excalibur, Frost even (Ignoring the flaps of his coat) as having reletively similar builds, Wukong, Atlas, and Limbo have sort of "Top-Heavy" builds.

we have "thin" female frames like Mirage, Equinox (Sort of), and Titania. just as there are thin males such as Nekros, Nezha, and Inaros.

I'm not saying that the female frames aren't reletively thin in general but when you compare them to a normal then you can clearly see that even amongst themselves there's a fair ammount of build diversity when your comparing them to males the only real difference is we don't have the extreme of a female Rhino or Chroma.

53 minutes ago, senatorspade said:

ah, see but there are plenty of fat people in this world that are healthy and fit. It is a bad stereotype that fit = slim. And I'm sure these people would love to have characters to identify with, especially women who are excessively criticised for their appearance. 

What exactly is your definition of fat? 

Because lets be completely honest here, fat and fit and fat and healthy are oxymorons lol

15 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

That's not armor. That's not human.

And even if it was, I don't see why not put bulky armor in female frames.

That is armor even if not human. What do you think protects the core of the frame? Also this is going to be some theorycrafting on my part but if we take a look at the orokin we'll see that they're very snobby, obsessed with aesthetics and most importantly- never changing. Seeing as they're essentially conservatives they'd apply "gender norms" to their frames (ever notice how a lot of female frames are support based?). That coupled with the devs' pattern of using real-world body types would mean that there is slim chance to get a large female frame.

Edited by tyranno66

1 hour ago, senatorspade said:

I'm just wondering, all the lady frames are beautiful and I love them, but I really think there could be tankier looking ladies. The male frames range from Nezha and Nekros to Rhino and Chroma. and it would be great if this same diversity in body types could be applied to lady frames. I'm in no way saying that sexy feminine lady frames are a bad thing, I'm totally in love with them. Some people might argue that lady frames should all be feminine to differentiate them from males, but characters like nezha and oberon's feyarch skin have feminine features too. Again, not saying lady frames shouldn't be feminine, femininity is great and should never be looked down on. But their body types are just too constant. A frame can be bulky and still be feminine too. Not looking to start any arguements, simply providing constructive criticism. 

Ironically, Warframe actually has one of the most diverse female body types for preset characters in video games. If these were any other company/art team, then all the female warframes would have a build like Saryn, with long legs and D-cup breasts. Instead we got different measurements from athletic to "normal" (like Nova) to "buff" (Ember) to more masculine (Equinox Day). Yes, we don't have the larger sized female but a built like Zarya would require unique animations. Even Atlas looks weird due to his broad shoulders while using standard animations. They will need a whole set of new animations. Even Rhino is not really a "buff" build, he just has thicker limbs. But since warframes has very little humanly features and we could only see it's a female from the size of the mammary glands, the masculine feminine features has more to do with animations anyway. Just put Rhino, Chroma or Oberon animations on female frames to make them more "masculine".

Also, Nezha is not "feminine". He's a little kid. Like, seriously, look him up in wikipedia.

To what end? Token characters don't help anybody.

Warframes tend to be about about themes from which aspects emerge, not so much characters built from aspects.  At least this is far better than that other thread a while ago asking for overweight frames, a bulky female frame is perfectly reasonable reasonable, as long as it fits to a theme rather than being "a female frame" who also happens to be bulky for no reason.

It's a bit interesting, because it's almost exactly opposite how I like characters to be built.  I like characters to be a collection of tropes from which a "character" emerges and reacts to situations based on that defined personality.  Meanwhile, Warframes are not characters to me, they're more like one or two tropes with further aspects derived from that.

6 minutes ago, senatorspade said:

So warframes aren't anything, like you said. So why CANT there be big lady frames?

There could be. Problem is, every time the subject comes up, we're having to contend with people's very subjective definition of the assorted synonyms to describe the same thing (supposedly), and the hairsplitting on what people mean gets very tiresome. If nobody can agree what they're talking about, then of course it can't be done; nobody can tell what's being asked for.

Common ground is a necessary starting point. Until we can agree on what supposed range we're talking about, then we can move forward on practical questions.

1 minute ago, tnccs215 said:

bulky armor in female frames

Thing is, heavy armour on a female, would...look like heavy armour on a male anyway...Least, supposed one does it right. Much as sure, awesome...People will either complain heartily that it's not really female unless it has unnecessary "breast plate" going on...Or complain that it's not "actual" physical bulk.

Really, there's no winning the argument. It's a complicated issue that is...honestly, not something I think anyone's going to resolve on a game forum in a satisfactory manner.

7 minutes ago, tyranno66 said:

1)That is armor even if not human. What do you think protects the core of the frame?

2)Also this is going to be some theorycrafting on my part but if we take a look at the orokin we'll see that they're very snobby, obsessed with aesthetics and most importantly- never changing. Seeing as they're essentially conservatives they'd apply "gender norms" to their frames

1)Again, even if it is armor, why not put bulky one of females?

2)Yeah... that is such a forced argument.

First, gender norms that exist in this society are not the same that exist on others. Specially aesthethical ones, norms tend to vary greatly.

Admitting that just because the orokin were conservative, they were our type of conservative it's simply stretching yourself too thin.

This is specially true considering Operator customization options: unlike the frames, operators are true orokin offspring. If your theory was correct, you would expect gender based garments and hairs, and all of them quite bland.

What happens is quite the contrary. Both male and female operators have access to the exactly same garnment, and the exact same (quite madly) hair cuts.

If anything, this induces that orokin found beauty in extravagance... and, therefor, that perhaps bulky female frames could also be considered "beautiful".

Not that any of this matters. This game always valued Rule of Cool over anything else, and if the devs want to put bulky females, they will, no matter how idiosyncratic it might be with the rest of the game... specially if it isn't.

Edited by tnccs215

Just now, tnccs215 said:

1)Again, even if it is armor, why not put bulky one of females?

2)Yeah... that is such a forced argument.

First, gender norms that exist in this society are not the same that exist on others. Specially aesthethical ones, norms tend to vary greatly.

Admitting that just because the orokin were conservative, they were our type of conservative it's simply stretching yourself too thin.

This is specially true considering Operator customization options: unlike the frames, operators are true orokin offspring. If your theory was correct, you would expect gender based garments and hairs, and all of them quite bland.

What happens is quite the contrary. Both male and female operators have access to the exactly same garnment, and the exact same (quite madly) hair cuts.

If anything, this induces that orokin found beauty in extravagance... and, therefor, that perhaps bulky female frames could also be considered "beautiful".

Exactly. Back then, it was very desirable to have a large build because it meant you were wealthy and well fed.