Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon advice for new players

Helpless_Kittens

Question

I just downloaded the game a couple days ago on PC for my son and I (mainly my soon to be 15 year old son).  It's already his favorite game, and he'd like to spend his allowance on some platinum to get different weapons (and its a way for us to support the game as well).  Right now we have Excalibur with the blade, the pistol, and the bow.  He is up to the fight with Vor (which we'll likely lose), and we'd like some better weapons.  I have several questions.

1) I read a lot of advice from players that if you buy weapons from players in trade instead of the market we save a lot of money.  Is this correct?  If so, do weapons from players come with everything that the market versions do?  Also, if a new player gets a weapon from another can they use it immediately regardless of mastery level, like the market versions?

2) Can one learn to "play the market" in the sense of buy low, sell high?  If I tried this, what items would I look for, and how much initial investment of platinum would be good to start off with?

3) Finally, neither myself nor my son intend to be top tier players EVER.  We just want to have a lot of different levels/maps/enemies to try out.  With that in mind, what are some affordable melee, secondary and primary weapons you think he would enjoy that would also sustain him through mid game and beyond?  He'd probably like to try one of every type - rifle, bow, shotgun, beam weapon, pistol, blade, blunt, etc.  But there's little point to buying a weapon that has cool effects but won't be any good in the game, which is what I'm trying to avoid by asking the question.

P.S.  I know that it's the MODS that make more of a difference, and I'll be working on that as well.  Thanks!

1. There are exceptions in the market - the few weapons you can actually buy for credits instead of platinum (not the blueprints but ready-to-play beginner weapons). You can find them more easily in the screen where you equip your weapon. They're tagged with credit prices, as "20,000" for example.

As they are cheap to obtain and you will need the mastery points anyway, you can do nothing wrong with them. the credits are easily farmed in doing dark sector missions.

Save your Plat for Weapon and Warframe slots, you'll need them in the beginning.

Look out for blueprint alerts at the star chart, the Heat Sword for example is a good beginner weapon.

Edited by radastir

Many have stated don't buy weapons with Platinum and they are right,save your platinum for slots for weapons and warframes.One thing to have in mind is,some  weapons require specific mission ranks to use.If you and your son are low mission rank forget about the syndicate primaries.If you like a specific weapon/warframe put a Origin Catalyst/Reactor on them.Syndicate primaries require a mission rank of 12.Regarding weapons first and foremost,what type of weapon do you prefer?,weapons that can easily carry you through the star chart Soma (Mr 6 required),Boltor,Braton, please note prime versions are upgrades on their normal versions.If shotguns are your preference the Kohm can easily destroy anything on the star chart as well as take you to enemies over lv 100 when modded right. (Downside it's a bit ammo hungry).Amprex (a clan research weapon) is another strong weapon built for critical damage and you'll see red crits all the time and can easily take down high level enemies.The better bows are Dread dropped from the stalker,Paris Prime and the Rakta Cernos (Mr 12 syndicate bow).The Simulor on the relays is also a good weapon and unless you are Mr 12? is a good alternative to the Synoid Simulor.It's obtain by scanning enemies for Cephalon Simaris.All these weapons can easily beat the star chart and amongst them are endgame weapons.Others I failed to mention if you like launcher type weapons are the Tonkor (arguably the strongest weapon in the game).Penta is another strong launcher type weapon (beware the blast proc can kill you),if too close to it and the Torrid a damage over time weapon that can easily kill very high level enemies.Hope this gives you an insight into what are good enough weapons for you and your son,two I didn't mention due to Mr 12 are the Sancti Tigris and Vaykor Hek  both are end game shotguns,the Tigris has a regular and prime version and both are very strong also.

On 10/12/2016 at 4:20 PM, FLSH_BNG said:

They really aren't. What information do you have to posit that?

Well, generally, broken variants have less mod cost but give more boost. For instance, rank 3 broken Flow gives 72% more energy whereas rank 1 normal Flow gives 50% more energy. The important part is that they have the same mod cost. Most new players don't have access to Reactors/Catalysts and Forma. Also, when you are leveling up new frames, broken mods are VERY useful. 

Early on I suppose I can see this working. But for older players and especially those who have been playing before broken mods were even in the game, we don't really have much use for them. The unbroken mods with broken versions end up being used as extra little bits to better round out builds with other mods like corrupted mods, if they aren't already entirely replaced with primed mods that is.

But That's a different kettle of fish I guess. Less helpful for newer players. I can certainly see how for new players who don't have many mods, that the ease with which the broken mods are obtained is a huge jump-start on getting into the modding aspect of the game. Certainly a sight better than what I had to go through when I started over three years ago. :clem:

The most important advice is THIS:

GET INTO A CLAN THAT APPRECIATES THE LIFEBLOOD THAT IS NEW PLAYERS.

Clans open up roughly 30% of the game's content, and any established clan players worth a pinch of salt will be more than glad to help you advance in more ways than I have time to post here...?

Being on PC, I'm sure there are some straight up OG clans that have players that make this part of their endgame.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

1. I strongly recommend you do not buying weapons from the market that is a terrible idea trust me it's a waste of money 
  2. ehh i suggest you learn the market first then come up with strategies but please don't do anything shady and the rest i'm not too sure of to be honest.
  3. For my recommended weapons i prefer the weapons on the bullet points below
  • Vaykor Marelok (Pistol) {You need to be MR6 to use it}
  • Scindo Prime (Heavy Blade)
  • Nikana Prime (Nikana)
  • Akstiletto prime (Pistol)
  • Soma or Soma Prime (Assault Rifle) {You need to be MR6 to use it}
  • Pox (throwing secondary) 
  • Rakta Cernos (Bow) {You need to be MR12 to use it}

of course you can watch videos of these weapons or just look at the stats from the codex to make you decision if you want to get 

Edited by (XB1)falconpwnch0234

It sounds like a lot of your weapon choices are going to be streamlined due to mastery rank. I am guessing you are probably mastery rank 1?  if so, then I would actually suggest keeping the platinum money.  Vor is a very mobile enemy.  You need to be able to take him down little by little as he moves.  It is important that you are mobile as well.  Excalibur will be able to dash around,as well as blind the other enemies trying to kill you (radial blind will not blind vor).  As far as weapon choices go, try what you have first, and if you fail, go with what you think you will need.  I would say that a fast fire rifle will be a good choice, so that you can hit vor little by little as he teleports.  The braton is a good choice for low levels in general, and it will work well against vor.  The Karak is good too, but keep in mind the puncture damage on the braton may help out a little more than the impact on the karak, due to the high armor vor has.  This is especially true if you have not picked up any elemental mods yet.  Strategy is going to be first priority.  

Just some tidbits

Well a good low level rifle primary that can last you mid way through the star chart is the Boltor. I don't think its MR locked if it is its extremly low. Downside to this weapon is the bolts have travel time not hitscan like the Karak but can out power a Karak if modded well.

If you join a clan there are clan only weapons you can get blueprints too that are very good as well. 

As for the plat...I use mine mainly for Frame/Weapon slots. That being said I have bought some frames in the past but it is a personal choice but I don't waste plat on a weapon that could be outdated or out powered by a better weapon later on.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:45 PM, FierceRadiance said:

Avoid Sniper Rifles.  I love them myself, but the consensus among players seems to be that the tilesets usually don't offer the kind of range you need to really make good use of this class of weapons.

Hammers and Heavy Swords tend to be slower than most types of Melee Weapons.  Not really a "problem", but IMHO it's more fun to use a blade that swings faster. Your mileage may vary.

Several of the best weapons (not all) are "Mastery-Rank locked", which means you have to have earned your way to a high enough Mastery Rank to 'unlock' them and be permitted to use them. (You can buy them and build them, you just won't be able to equip them.) Just be aware if a weapon requires the player to be of a certain rank before you buy/build it.  (FYI, you gain Mastery Rank by leveling weapons and Warframes.  It really isn't that hard, and you can advance to the current 'unlock-all' level of MR 12 relatively quickly, depending on how much you and/or your son plays.)

Be careful with weapons that lob bombs or grenades - YOU CAN BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH THIS CLASS OF WEAPON!!!  That said, they can also be fun to mess around with for exactly the same reason.

Some weapons have 'perks' that may not always be obvious. For example, you can buy a weapon from Cephalon Simaris at a Relay, the Synoid Heliocor hammer, which automatically scans an enemy when doing a killing blow on them.

The Wiki is your friend! So is the Warframe Market (for player-to-player items-for-plat purchases, outside of the official Warframe game).

He Will be able to sortie better if he gets one of each weapon type though

Ivara is one I would farm for, even if you don't get her parts you have a chance of getting dual status  mods, these mods are end game viable mods worth considering on any status build weapons.Mesa it's just a case of waiting for the Mutatist Alads V C ordinate invasions, the boss fight with a squad isn't that hard.Equinox can be a grind only because of the parts you to build her and Mirage isn't that hard really.Get a squad with vault keys to get the Orikin ciphers, the quest alone I soloed, so if you have poor weapons/mods etc, get a squad to help you, it's really not that hard.

As always, I recommend that new players take the time to read my guide.

Warframe is, for a game about shooting idiots in their faces, a very complex game.  Nearing my 3 year anniversary, I am finally $30 into Warframe.

If you have money to burn, and I mean like $150 Prime Access every few months money, buying weapons with plat can be worth it.  The others have already chimed in with answers and advice galore, and rehashing their content will only waste my time and yours, and I'd hate to waste your time.

Tick the box on the market to filter by blueprints.  You can buy them for credits and craft them with in-game resources.  It takes very little time to earn enough.  Your platinum is best spent on slots so you can try out a whole bunch without having to throw anything away.  As far as weapons go, part of Warframe is getting and trying out as many as you can.  Everything you rank to 30 adds to your mastery rank, so even taking a weaker version for a spin is fine in the long run.

Join a clan if you can and try looking at some of the research weapons.  They're mostly mastery-locked but you'll get that up in no time, and the weapons can be a lot of fun.

Start making and trying new frames too as soon as you're able.  Some basic ones like Volt have been moved to clan research, and once you start unlocking the star map most bosses drop blueprints for the parts to a frame, while the main blueprint is on the market for credits.

If you want something you could easily grab now, try the Latron.  Very reliable early on.  Simple accurate semi-auto rifle.  Much faster and more versatile than a sniper but just as good when taking out weak enemies in a single shot to the face.  There is a prime version but it's currently unobtainable.  It will re-release periodically in the future.  I still favor my Latron Prime today.

21 hours ago, Prime_Reckoner said:

These frames are hard to get and I would consider buying them because they are "kind of" late game:

Ivara, Mesa, Equinox, and Mirage (because last junction needs to be completed).

Nah, all too easy to farm, and you'll be picking up and ranking all the other frames on your way to them anyway.  It will keep you busy enough to not need to buy anything.  Nezha would be the only one, but I think you can get him cheaper on the market since his parts are tradeable.

Unless you REALLY want a specific one to start, all frames can easily be earned at the right time.

Edited by Callback