Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Throwing Knife Strange Accuracy Problem

VRKestrel

Recently, I've gotten a hold of both the Despair and the Spira Prime at roughly the same time (yay, lucky me i I guess).

As soon as I started playing around with both of them, I noticed something strange concerning accuracy. Every second thrown knife (whenever my warframe uses his "off-hand" to throw) the projectile seems to be flying considerably lower than I have aimed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about the arch of the trajectory it seems like every second knife is aimed lower from the start. At first I thought the projectiles might converge on one point if you just aim at a far enough target, but that's not the case. So far I've noticed this on all Throwing KNIVES (Despair, Spira, Kunai etc.). Throwing Stars like the Hikou (Prime) however, do not seem to be affected by this problem.

I am not too sure whether this is intended or not. Maybe there is just something that I don't get. Anyway, some clarification would be highly appreciated.

1 hour ago, VRKestrel said:

Every second thrown knife (whenever my warframe uses his "off-hand" to throw) the projectile seems to be flying considerably lower than I have aimed.

Funny thing is you'd expect a space ninja robot cyborg thing to at the very least be ambidextrous, but no, we can't even throw straight with the off-hand.  Sad.

all of them throw in the same arc and averything. they made it so that the point of letting go on the frame dictates where it starts to fly. all of them alwaya fly in the same line just off set by a 4th of a meter in i think a triangle because of the animation lets go in a triangle motion

Is it possible that perhaps the off hand is slightly further back, so the projectile has a little bit farther to travel? Maybe extra travel distance is causing it to drop a tad more before it reaches the target point.

Or maybe it's intentional and Tenno aren't ambidextrous. One way or another, I'd like to see the projectile drop levels equalized, if only for the sake of more consistent DPS at medium range. 

Just realized that jofdeath basically said the same thing in a different way. My bad. 

Edited by Plasmaface

This 'bug' first showed up when the Spira was introduced and it was only on the Spira, iirc.

Except I just tested with my Despair and the knives' impact points form a triangle when fired in full auto.

What the heck, DE? I thought this was just some 'balancing' gimmick for the Spira only?

It's been like that for every thrown knife since I started this game a little after 17.0. As far as I can tell, the problem's root cause is that the off-hand itself releases its knife in a very different location compared to the main hand. Considering that carrying any sort of object, such as a datamass, and thus being only able to throw with your main hand, bypasses the issue, I would assume the long-term solution to be overhauling the animations of throwing knives so that the two release points are closer together.

On 11/4/2016 at 10:03 AM, Plasmaface said:

Is it possible that perhaps the off hand is slightly further back, so the projectile has a little bit farther to travel? Maybe extra travel distance is causing it to drop a tad more before it reaches the target point.

Or maybe it's intentional and Tenno aren't ambidextrous. One way or another, I'd like to see the projectile drop levels equalized, if only for the sake of more consistent DPS at medium range. 

Just realized that jofdeath basically said the same thing in a different way. My bad. 

On 11/4/2016 at 6:41 AM, jofdeath said:

all of them throw in the same arc and averything. they made it so that the point of letting go on the frame dictates where it starts to fly. all of them alwaya fly in the same line just off set by a 4th of a meter in i think a triangle because of the animation lets go in a triangle motion

On 11/5/2016 at 1:15 PM, Dreddeth said:

It's been like that for every thrown knife since I started this game a little after 17.0. As far as I can tell, the problem's root cause is that the off-hand itself releases its knife in a very different location compared to the main hand. Considering that carrying any sort of object, such as a datamass, and thus being only able to throw with your main hand, bypasses the issue, I would assume the long-term solution to be overhauling the animations of throwing knives so that the two release points are closer together.

I suppose that does make sense and I did expect something along those lines. The main gripe I have with this though, is the fact that throwing STARS (such as Hikou [Prime]) which use the same animations do not suffer from this issue with or without multishot. I just find this to be weird. If this "property" of throwing knives is intended however, i would suggest removing this since travel time and trajectory alone seem fair/demanding enough if you want to  be reliably accurate. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2016 at 10:18 AM, Xekrin said:

Funny thing is you'd expect a space ninja robot cyborg thing to at the very least be ambidextrous, but no, we can't even throw straight with the off-hand.  Sad.

This is what I say every time I complain about the spira prime. I really want to use it, I love the design and I don't feel obligated to use concealed explosives (which I inevitably murder myself with) but the aim bug bothers me so much that I always go back to throwing hadoukens instead. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but its like Xekrin took the thought right out of my brain.