Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr Prime design lore discussion

Cyborg-Rox

I have never used Valkyr, but all I can say is my main annoyance with Valkyr prime's desing is that she does not have a tail, everything else could probably just be orokin going crazy in their attempts of putting gold everywhere.

Edited by Haldos
Post moderated.

Consider Ballas narrative and the footage we see as two things;  an old echo running in parallell with current timeline.

He built Saryn in Margulis name to purge the infestation from Earth.

He presents Vauban as a solution to the merchants growing problem.

He talk about Nekros in a way that would allmost suggest revenge for the death of his love.

Is he around still? I think in one form or another Ballas will show up eventually.

9 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Is he around still? I think in one form or another Ballas will show up eventually.

The War Within spoilers and spoilers to the cephalon fragment lore entries below.

Spoiler

The nature of the Orokin's immortality was revealed to us in The War Within. It required harvesting a resource known as "kuva" (whose exact nature is still unknown to us) and performing a procedure known as "Continuity" to transfer the Orokin into a new body.

While this does mean it is possible Ballas is alive, given the difficulty in harvesting kuva, it makes it seem unlikely.

However, given that we know cephalons are created from the consciousness of beings. So it's possible we could see Ballas as a cephalon. It's possible we already have seen him. We don't know the origins of most of the cephalons.

9 hours ago, DarthValkyr said:

Watch the latest Devstream about that. Steve and Scott make a joke about her lore. ;)

Could've been this.

9 hours ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

That is infinitely better.

Been following that post for years, so much potential but of course she gets the shaft and rushed out for the holiday quick buck.

7 hours ago, DarthValkyr said:

Guess we can still hope Tennogen can cover it then. I'm still hoping this gets Tennogenned.

One can hope and wouldn't mind adding that skin to the Valkitty collection.

Personally I don't like Valkyr Prime to look at, at all. She looks stiff and clumsy, weird spikes and protrusions at angles that break up any sense of flow. It doesn't look agile or strong, just unbalanced. Like many others I feel the design cues from the original model are a mistake.

Changing subject, discussing Valkyr from a lore perspective is a minefield. Valkyr actually highlights everything that is messed up about Warframe's lore.

It's never clarified if Warframes are one offs or are there are multiples (it's always strange that the narrative talks about a Warframe as if it is unique, but then you meet others in missions and relays. A schism exists there). I assume that Tenno frames are mass manufactured models (translated tennobet on the frames and codex support this) based off original Prime frames presumably, which were probably singular prototypes. How many Tenno were there supposed to be? The focus system suggests that there was some sort of Tenno culture with several distinct schools and philosophies. How can that be if the Tenno are a bunch of void-touched rescued orphans that were supposedly reviled? Sometimes it seems an army of Tenno/Warframes existed, and other times only a handful?

Back on subject, Valkyrs lore suggest there was an original frame, either a Tenno or Prime that Alad experimented on. This frame was recovered. If frames are singular then rescuing and using the damage/modified frame makes sense. If there are multiples then why are we recreating a scarred frame that feels suffering and pain complete with invasive Corpus tech?

Gersemi also annoys me because of a missed opportunity. Her description states that it was the pre-experiment Valkyr. Personally I feel that aesthetically and logically it makes more sense that Gersemi is a repaired post-Corpus Valkyr (she's just too sleek, Valkyr looks peeled so an original should be bulkier surely). The Tenno High Council that created Nova (presumably reverse engineered since she now has a Prime) could have rebuilt Valkyr into the Gersemi variant (hence the name change).

So basically in order to make sense of the lore there should be: Valkyr Prime > Tenno Valkyr > Corpus Valkyr > Gersemi. Maybe that's just my head-canon but it means there's an actual pre-Alad frame we haven't seen that would tie this all together. One that actually bares more resemblance to the dissected one.

Prime Valkyr lacks any visual language that makes sense to me as the design is clearly based on the Corpus version. An oversight sure. The prime needed to be original and is sadly just a Valkyr with an ugly helm and gold bits tacked on. There have been far better concepts in fan art tbh.

I'm not into the lore really but could this mean the primes aren't made until the warframe reached its peak like once they sorta proved themselves what I'm basically saying is Valkyr didn't do what they made her for until after the experimenting from alad v

7 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

Yeah, but the Lore is made by DE and they have the power to change it. They're GODS. *kneels and bows before them*

No, but really, the lore comes after the design. In the end if our Lead Artist did design her after the base model... I'm going to trust that he made so for a good reason. Which is why I'm saying they should've waited and make the Prime first, then "tone it down" as I say.

Changing the actual lore to make it on par with the design, that's so wrong. I mean, I totally get your point, the devs can do whatever they want but should they? 

It's like creating scenes for a movie without knowing what's gonna be the story. Who cares, just change it after right?

What gets me boiling is the lack of thought put into the prime regarding the lore. Valkyr is one of few frames in this game that has an interesting back story, which is one of the main reason i started playing her and still do up to this day. And to have the devs not follow it and literally telling us they will face "lore challenges" is so saddening. Especially for players that love Valkyr. 

I'm really mad at DE right now. Can't wait for tomorrow morning to see what they have done in the end. 

2 hours ago, Stoner74 said:

Changing the actual lore to make it on par with the design, that's so wrong. I mean, I totally get your point, the devs can do whatever they want but should they? 

It's like creating scenes for a movie without knowing what's gonna be the story. Who cares, just change it after right?

What gets me boiling is the lack of thought put into the prime regarding the lore. Valkyr is one of few frames in this game that has an interesting back story, which is one of the main reason i started playing her and still do up to this day. And to have the devs not follow it and literally telling us they will face "lore challenges" is so saddening. Especially for players that love Valkyr. 

I'm really mad at DE right now. Can't wait for tomorrow morning to see what they have done in the end. 

It's lovely that you only ever reply to people to beat your feelings into. Or to try and be snarky. But when someone actually counters your post or gives a plausible explanation to this situation you're silent or you repeat the same nonsense: "DE fudged up. DE retconned. DE broke my head cannon. DE doesn't care" ETC..

Here is why your example is just as wrong as your other posts. In a movie you've already written everything from start to finish with detail. There is no open ended writting unless a sequal is next. With video games you write a universe. Detail will be lost. Questions will arise. And sometimes you have to retcon something you wrote ages ago so that the rest of your universe is more coherent and polished. DE probably made several changes before they released a playable model. And by your very logic your "blood" should be boiling over those changes. Warframe isn't a typical game. They didn't have a rich and detailed universe. They've been writing it as they make it. I'd really love to see you sit down and write a universe. Maybe then you'd understand better and stop harping on DE so much.

Warframe has gone through several idedntites as a whole. It's perfectly reasonable and expected that the lore would also go through growing pains. You'd rather they just keep everything vague?  Personally i'd rather have a more detailed and coherent universe even if some parts don't turn out the way I imagined. Instead of being like you and getting petty blaming DE for not writing thier baby the way you prefer.

but enough ranting. Here is what's up. You're trying to slam DE every way you can think because you're unreasonable and not understanding. DE isn't lazy with writting. with the current lore DE CAN explain this situation without retcon. Even if they choose to do so it's their right. And retcon as a concept isn't inherently bad.  If them chang the lore at any point is effecting you this much regardless of the situation you should just quit.

Mabye this is news to you mabye not. Warframe is a constantly changing game. Nothing is set in stone. DE has stated this much. Either learn to live with it or leave. No point in investing into somethin if you can't be flexible. Valkyr is my baby. I've defended her since I started playing. I didn't support her nerfs and still don't. I accepted the changes and let go of what happened. If i'm capable of doing this for something I care deeply for you should be too.

I was probably the most vocal member of this forum demanding a pre-corpus skin.

It was so mysterious and exciting. What had she been?

I expected Gersemi to look strong and armored, a whole warframe that filled the gaps. What we got was a blue demon. Clever Tenno saw the connection to Zanuka, and suddenly it made sense.

That led to a conclusion: valkyr the experiment was an exception, an abomination.  Gersemi and Gersemi Prime was the real warframes. 

Now we have a prime that makes Gersemi the exception. While I like the overall design, I agree that the designlanguage and flow is completely different and, sorry DE designer,  but you have a design rule of flowing curves and lines and a unifying theme.

I see sharp edges and spikes, I see the same hooks that Nekros have in the legs.

I don't go: Yeah that is Valkyr. Take away the weapons and it become much harder.

Oh sorry for rant and wot.

This is what we got. De won't change anything. Once Primes or deluxe is added into Tennogen, we can have another version.

Possibly a secondary helmet looking like Bastet or Gersemi or vanilla valkyr and tail/wings will make a difference.

There's the pattern that we can observe in the previous prime access trailers.

In the Saryn Prime trailer, we can see her fight the Infested.

Vauban trailer features the Corpus.

Nekros toys with the Grineer in his video.

If every trailer is to feature different faction, then all that's left for Valkyr is the Sentient. But I can't imagine DE deciding to let the Sentient take part in one. Perhaps some faction will be the first to reappear?

Can't wait to watch the vid just to see the mystery solved :laugh:

(also, a first look on Valkyr's prime abilities? should look different from the angry-corpus-experiment-outcome-frame, right? right?)

What do you guys expect? =)

Edited by Raniu

I think its just random happenstance that 3 factions have been introduced personally. Although DE has a habit of surprising people with these trailers and what they come up with. Probably because they seem to have so much fun making them.

You can see on every DevStream after they've released a trailer how giddy they are. They look like children just have been given some candy and hyper.

Its generally just a nice thing. I can't wait either.

I don't think there's going to be a trailer? She's coming out in just a few hours now lol.

And I also don't think the abilities are going to be any different. But the screaming should be changed, for sure. Doesn't fit with the pre-torture thing, I don't think. But neither do the Prime Bonds accessories lol.

I just can't wait to see people stop crying about how "valkyr prime goes against lore" >_> hopefully the video shows enough. Maybe she doesn't go against the sentients? maybe the video is her turning on her own kind and then getting bonded cause valk prime has orokin like bonds on her arms

Just now, Zachles said:

I don't think there's going to be a trailer? She's coming out in just a few hours now lol.

And I also don't think the abilities are going to be any different. But the screaming should be changed, for sure. Doesn't fit with the pre-torture thing, I don't think. But neither do the Prime Bonds accessories lol.

there will be a trailer. nekros primes trailer was pretty much on his release day. but valkyrs' might be late cause of TWW fixes. unless they made the video in advance 

Just now, Vesiga said:

I just can't wait to see people stop crying about how "valkyr prime goes against lore" >_> hopefully the video shows enough. Maybe she doesn't go against the sentients? maybe the video is her turning on her own kind and then getting bonded cause valk prime has orokin like bonds on her arms

Those bonds are attachable accessories, not part of the actual Warframe. But the trailer revealing some lore would be nice, but I personally don't care. I still feel miffed because Banshee lost out to Valkyr.

Just now, Vesiga said:

there will be a trailer. nekros primes trailer was pretty much on his release day. but valkyrs' might be late cause of TWW fixes. unless they made the video in advance 

Oh, ok, I don't remember lol. I thought they normally released trailers a week before they're set to be released.

I haven't been around much to see any of the other trailers OP is referring to either, but I remember the older Prime Access trailers just showing vague glimpses of the Warframe. Guess things change lol.

1 minute ago, SpeedOfLightPuncher said:

Nothing much to expect

She will be fighting the corpus with her same old powers

That is the most likely scenario, sadly :/

1 minute ago, Zachles said:

Those bonds are attachable accessories, not part of the actual Warframe.

I wonder. I thought that Nekros' wings were supposed to be optional "Mortos Prime" thingy, yet they turned out not to be when Nekros was released. Is there any confirmation that the bonds aren't part of Valkyr?

2 minutes ago, Zachles said:

Those bonds are attachable accessories, not part of the actual Warframe. 

No, it's just like vanilla Valkyr -- the bonds themselves are part of the model, and the attachable accessories are just some golden cords that hook into them.

1 minute ago, Vesiga said:

i dont remember reading the bonds as part of it

the datamine said nothing about bonds being in the pack >_>

I don't think it was officially stated what's the part of PA Accessories. We'll learn about the bonds when official info is out ^^