Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why would you not build Vaykor Marelok for Crit?

DEATHLOK

Question

18 answers to this question

Vaykor Marelok is good with status mods or crit actually, its hard to go wrong with either route to be honest. The fire rate However can be a hinderance to the Crit variant but if you aim right it will serve you well. As for things other than Fire rate that may be a factor i'm not to certain though, that's just my take on it.

Edited by (XB1)Zweimander

I use status on mine, because of the multishot, and the fact that I generally prefer status over crit. The corrosive procs on my build are great at destroying armor, which, as we all know, is often really useful. A crit and status build may be viable, but I can't speak from experience about that. (Also, fire rate has nothing to do with general crit viability, but it does for status.)

I suspect it has less to do with whether it's worth it or not and more to do with the amount of Endo (or, previously, Fusion Cores) necessary to max out two Primed mods. That is a substantial investment, along with the credits involved.

That aside, the Vaykor Marelok can reach 98% status per bullet with three dual-stat mods, or 100% with four. Combine that with Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent and you can generate a *lot* of status effects. At higher levels applying Viral or Corrosive procs starts to overtake raw damage, unless your raw damage is stupendously high.

In addition to the Endo/Credits issue, there's the matter of Forma. A crit build might require five or more Forma, a Status build will need three, maybe four if you really want to maximise your damage.

Majority of the time Vaykor Marelok is better as a Crit weapon or a Hybrid Crit / Status, esp if you can land head-shot well.

Using 60/60x3 +90% you will have a Corrosive Trigger of 1.083 per shot with 98% status per pellet at 7,264 Damage per shot.

Using Crit 60/60x2 +90% you will have a Corrosive Trigger of  0.742 per shot with 77% status per pellet at 10,889 Damage per shot.

The crit build will do more Bleed damage and Marelok does have some bleed to it. You will do even more when you head-shot doing much more damage but overall it will proc Corrosive less.

There comes a point when a 100% status build will perform better but it highly depends on your aim and it's well beyond lvl 140. For instance my Front-end Crit Marelok with Primed Heated, 90%x2 takes 15 head-shots to down a lvl 140 Bomber, My crit Hybrid takes 13 head-shots and my full 100% status takes 15 head-shots.

Majority of the time I use my Crit Hybrid for high level armor.

I personally don't like Vaykor Marelok for crit because armor stripping > crit. I don't use many crit guns if I can avoid it because I feel a full-auto gun benefits far more than a semi-auto, but with 100% status chance the fire rate can be far lower and still do quite well because of the bonuses that status procs provide. (Of course, higher fire rate is always better)

My 2 builds are Corrosive/Heat and Gas/Cold. Corrosive for armor stripping and Gas for the insane damage stacks I can get with it (each proc does a little over 2k damage without Primed Heated Charge). I could see myself swapping an element for P Pistol Gambit, but I don't feel it would add enough damage consistently in order to make it worth bringing down my 100% status chance, Which continues to pump out insane numbers into sorties and endless content. 

18 hours ago, WrathAscending said:

I suspect it has less to do with whether it's worth it or not and more to do with the amount of Endo (or, previously, Fusion Cores) necessary to max out two Primed mods. That is a substantial investment, along with the credits involved.

That aside, the Vaykor Marelok can reach 98% status per bullet with three dual-stat mods, or 100% with four. Combine that with Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent and you can generate a *lot* of status effects. At higher levels applying Viral or Corrosive procs starts to overtake raw damage, unless your raw damage is stupendously high.

In addition to the Endo/Credits issue, there's the matter of Forma. A crit build might require five or more Forma, a Status build will need three, maybe four if you really want to maximise your damage.

It requires 3 status mods + both multishot mods for 100% status chance. As to OP, if you're building crit on v.marelok, I recommend using the primed crit mods and a status build.

1 hour ago, (XB1)ThermalStone said:

Corrosive armor strip a boss then pull out your pimary to finish the boss off.  If you want a crit pistol, isn't Lex Prime better?

Sure it is, but the vaykor marelok has crit+status and a syndicate effect, which makes the lex prime and vaykor marelok on par with each other.

On 11/29/2016 at 10:03 PM, DeltaPhantom said:

35AAAC0C718DA8637C6C5F7136939F17EA33C5C3

Config B swaps Seeker for Primed Heated Charge and Deep Freeze for Convulsion, for Corrosive+Heat.

Never leave home without yer crit mods on this weapon.

Really appreciate your post. Thanks for taking the time to post this build.

Two Status/Elemental mods take this to 98%, which seems plenty good enough. Why would I need three such mods?

2 hours ago, DEATHLOK said:

Really appreciate your post. Thanks for taking the time to post this build.

Two Status/Elemental mods take this to 98%, which seems plenty good enough. Why would I need three such mods?

Take off Multishot and look at it.

The UI is giving you the status probability per shot not the status chance per bullet.

I would generally say that 60/60x2 is enough in most cases however. It's 77% chance per bullet.

Oh, that evil little UI....

I wish someone would write up a guide to modding weapons. The Damage section of the wiki is too Byzantine for most to unravel, let allow apply in a deliberate manner.

Edited by DEATHLOK

The crit chance is not high enough to be reliable in my opinion. The status chance on the other hand which can easily reach 100% per bullet fired (which are usually 3 per trigger pull thanks to multishot) is reliable. And both radiation + viral (HP reduction) or corrosive (armor reduction ) + blast (CC) are very useful on a gun that can trigger up to 3 different effects per trigger pull.

Also there is the point of having different guns for different purposes. And while the Vaykor Marelok is way better for a status build, the Lex Prime is far superior when it comes to a crit build. So building the Marelok for crit makes as much sense as building the Lex Prime for status. Both work, yet it's not really the best choice.

I normally use a status build on my marelok because I tend to prefer stripping the armor, or pretty much knocking down enemies with blast procs and such, I also feel that the Marelok doesn't benefit from the crit build as other weapons may, due to the 1.5x crit multiplier as opposed to 2.0x, but the 20% chance is still nice atleast.

(I guess I'll try a crit build the next time I get on, not that I have recently maxed both my primed pistol gambit and target cracker for my Lex)

Edited by (XB1)calvina

On 11/29/2016 at 9:43 PM, DEATHLOK said:

Does the Vaykor Marelok not shoot often enough to justify the two Prime Crit mods? I see some builds with Gambit, but most favor loads of Status mods.

Can you explain why? Is it fire rate or something else?

Part of the issue with the Primed crit mods, besides their rarity, is the investment required to max even one of them without a Legendary Core.

Status builds however, are significantly cheaper in comparison, with similar or greater effect at handling enemies in the long run.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:53 AM, ----Fenrir---- said:

The crit chance is not high enough to be reliable in my opinion. The status chance on the other hand which can easily reach 100% per bullet fired (which are usually 3 per trigger pull thanks to multishot) is reliable. And both radiation + viral (HP reduction) or corrosive (armor reduction ) + blast (CC) are very useful on a gun that can trigger up to 3 different effects per trigger pull.

Also there is the point of having different guns for different purposes. And while the Vaykor Marelok is way better for a status build, the Lex Prime is far superior when it comes to a crit build. So building the Marelok for crit makes as much sense as building the Lex Prime for status. Both work, yet it's not really the best choice.

Thank you.

Can anyone post their best Status build? I'm guessing it's four 60/60 mods, maybe Primed Pistol Gambit, Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion, and Lethal Torrent. You could use Seeker instead of Primed Pistol Gambit, right?

Edited by DEATHLOK