The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do so few people use a mic in Warframe?

Thylacin

I've played this game for years now, and I realized that with all the super cool space-ninja moves we pull off, hundreds of enemies coming at us at once, and high-end Grineer or Corpus ripping through our shields like paper, people still take the time to TYPE in the chat. In all of my time playing, I've met about 10 people who actually speak through a microphone. I understand that a majority of people playing this game don't own mic's, i get it, but there's so little time to type an entire sentence in such a fast-paced game. It is so much simpler to press a quick button and speak, or have an open mic and simply talk. I've seen too many players take the time to type something, and die within seconds of opening the chat window. Come on guys! Use your voice, we don't bite.

The voice netcode isn't so great, so it ends up being really muffled and of bad quality. A lot of people got annoyed by it, so nobody uses it. Nobody uses it, so new players don't want to use it. Also there's the fact that a huge number of people plain don't realize there is VOIP in Warframe. Generally if you want to find people to actually speak with you need to join a clan with some kind of third-party utility. 

hate voice chat in videogames. Whenever I enable voice chat in any game I get people watching super noisy tv or playing awful music in the background, half of the time you get people talking to themselves for Twitch or Youtube, you get kids crying in the background, domestic abuse or, if you log on using the European gateway, lots of random screaming in Russian and Polish. Then you get some guy impersonating Darth Vader. Or maybe he was just born without nostrils. Somebody has a terrible cold and you can feel the snot dripping through your headphones. Somebody's eating the crunchiest potato chips (or crisps, depending where you are) they can find, without muting their mic.

I'm not saying this happens all the time or that it's exclusive to Warframe. But my negative experiences far outweigh whatever little benefit I might get from turning that stuff on. I'll save voice chat for clan mates and loved ones. If you happen to be from Russia or Poland, please don't feel offended. People from all over the globe can be horrible on voice chat, I just prefer to understand the insults my fellow players throw at me. Though I do know what a kurwa is now, thanks very much. -_-

Edited by Berserkerkitten

IMO the game is easy enough that it doesn't really feel necessary to use mics.
I've rarely played any games that people seem to actively talk in unless its to over come a great challenge that needs coordination.

Honestly, if I have a wall of text that I need to write in chat for whatever reason, I make sure it's clear, take cover /use an ability and then I type it out.

Spoiler

It wouldn't surprise me that many people who play games have social anxiety, and feel more comfortable typing things out rather then voicing it out to strangers.

Edited by RIOT

Early on the netcode for VOIP was horrible in warframe, so everyone came through like garbled static horrible dubstep. So I just muted it. Occasionally I unmute it only to hear some guy blasting "BABY BABY" over their mic, or breathing heavily, various other unpleasant sounds. Suffice to say...if I find someone who is willing to chat, I just invite em to discord.