The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do so few people use a mic in Warframe?

Thylacin

50 minutes ago, Thylacin said:

Use your voice, we don't bite.

I used to have it enabled when I first started playing, as with any game I have tried that comes with its own voice chat, i try it out.  There were a few times where voice chat was quite useful, people used it to react to situations but the majority of my experiences with it are screeches, screaming kids or very distorted transmissions.  I turned it off some time last year after listening to some guy cussing at everyone for not doing what he wanted in the mission.

That said, I will use voice chat in organized groups or raids or with friends but in random pugs? Nope.

To me it makes sense that if you desire to use voice chat that you should probably seek out players who want to use it with you. I think most players who have been around for a few months get the general idea towards what they need to do and that adding voice chat into the mix to repeat what should be obvious to most will exasperate things in a high pressure moment. The only exceptions i can really come up with would be raids like someone else pointed out or maybe really far into a survival and you are not sure when you want to leave. Maybe its just me but i message my team mates early on to know what they want to do in advance so i'm not worrying about that.

For me, it just doesn't work.  Never has worked since I started playing, so I disabled it in the interest of performance.

If I want to voice-chat with someone, I've got Discord or Teamspeak for that.  In-game voicechat has been by-and-large useless, and I don't trust people not to be micspamming trolls, shrieking squeakers, or others who can't exercise communication discipline.

Most missions are to short to bother.   I generally don't bother with in game coms simply due to in the past they were not that good when I did use coms.   While that may have changed and they might work well enough now,  the stigma is still there.

Though, those saying they don't own a mic...  A decent sounding clip on is less than $10 and will sound better than most headset mics.   Never understood buying headsets as you can do better buying headphones and a mic separately. 

I don't use it on the PS4 for many reasons.

I don't want to hear the personal lives of other players over their mics.

I don't want to listen to kids in the middle of puberty squeaking into the mic.

I tend to play music in the background. Others tend to play music in the background. Our musical tastes rarely sync up.

The list goes on and on.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Cynicaid said:

I don't use it on the PS4 for many reasons.

I don't want to hear the personal lives of other players over their mics.

I don't want to listen to kids in the middle of puberty squeaking into the mic.

I tend to play music in the background. Others tend to play music in the background. Our musical tastes rarely sync up.

The list goes on and on.

Exactly, also only use mic with friends.

2 hours ago, Berserkerkitten said:

hate voice chat in videogames. Whenever I enable voice chat in any game I get people watching super noisy tv or playing awful music in the background, half of the time you get people talking to themselves for Twitch or Youtube, you get kids crying in the background, domestic abuse or, if you log on using the European gateway, lots of random screaming in Russian and Polish. Then you get some guy impersonating Darth Vader. Or maybe he was just born without nostrils. Somebody has a terrible cold and you can feel the snot dripping through your headphones. Somebody's eating the crunchiest potato chips (or crisps, depending where you are) they can find, without muting their mic.

Every word of this is true (for me). And sometimes I swear people let their little kids have the mic while they play the game to keep the kid busy. 

And I don't use it because I will yell fowl words suddenly and I know that's rude. 

The issues, for me, are these:

1. I like the sounds of the game

2. When someone talks, the sounds overshadow what they are trying to say

3. People either have awful mics or the sound just comes out awful due to the game(or both)

4. I am hardly social with people through a screen, and having people try to command what I do in a game is the quickest route to making me do the opposite out of spite.

I don't know if people spoke about this already, if so, sorry, but there's also the point that many people are simply shy, or just don't like talking or showing themselves online.

Besides the warframe voip being total crap and the occasional DJ (i know it can be annoying but sometimes they're funny too *xdd* if you don't like the kek of the good ol' sanic dubstep you can mute them), people sometimes just don't like showing up; typing in chat, although is "worse" content-wise in a message, seems more comfortable to them.

Edited by Blacksonfive
Who reads this anyway lol