Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Twin Nikana... The samurai look

Cosmic_Mistress

Having finished the war within I can't help but be a little jealous of Teshin and his twin Nikana blades.  I definitely think there is a place for this in the warframe world. Maybe as a Conclave weapon (it would certainly make me use conclave more) but as part of a skin upgrade for Excaliber (he is the sword frame after all and think a Teshin / samurai robe styled skin would look very cool.) 

Interested in what your thoughts on this are.

Edited by Elorrick

If rewards the only thing people want out of conclave, then they might as well make it a clan tech weapon for all that it will help with the PvP population for the 2 weeks it take for people to earn enough to buy it.

Besides, Teshin never uses the second katana, probably because he knows he'll look like an idiot trying to draw that second katana out with his left hand.

12 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

i find them to be the most visually unappealing weapon currently. how are you going to use two nikanas when you only have 2 hands? you need to make sure the sheath doesnt move.

Ever heard of this guy http://dgrayman.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Kanda ?

He easily uses two katanas, but only has one sheath. How, you ask. Simple, the second one is an illusion.

How do we implement this in Warframe? Instead of acting like the second one is an illusion, make it out of energy...then realise it would only really work as an augment for Exalted Blade. (not that people have't been asking for a Dual Swords Exalted Blade)

Besides, ''You need to make sure the sheat doesn't move.'' come on. Have you not seen some of the Blind Justice combos, or like the entire Decisive Judgement stance? Making sure the sheath doesn't move is like the last of your worries with the help of video game logic.

55 minutes ago, AlphaSierraMike said:

If rewards the only thing people want out of conclave, then they might as well make it a clan tech weapon for all that it will help with the PvP population for the 2 weeks it take for people to earn enough to buy it.

Besides, Teshin never uses the second katana, probably because he knows he'll look like an idiot trying to draw that second katana out with his left hand.

First of all the katana is a sword able to be wielded in on or two hands. second the second blade could be shorter (I did base my idea around the samurai noting that I just have blade envy when Teshin is mentioned).  Teshin doesn't use is second blade because he has no need to against a child. he is if nothing else a creature of honour.  

As for the scabbards fixtures... I'm not a designer, this is just a concept. As for drawing them forth. Well this is a world where we can kill with our minds, turn invisible and a bow can do more damage than a grenade launcher, so it shouldn't be to far a stretch that the blades could leap from the scabbards into the hands, and with twirling blades be replaced. This is fantasy after all. 

54 minutes ago, Elorrick said:

First of all the katana is a sword able to be wielded in on or two hands. second the second blade could be shorter (I did base my idea around the samurai noting that I just have blade envy when Teshin is mentioned).  Teshin doesn't use is second blade because he has no need to against a child. he is if nothing else a creature of honour.  

As for the scabbards fixtures... I'm not a designer, this is just a concept. As for drawing them forth. Well this is a world where we can kill with our minds, turn invisible and a bow can do more damage than a grenade launcher, so it shouldn't be to far a stretch that the blades could leap from the scabbards into the hands, and with twirling blades be replaced. This is fantasy after all. 

Or the devs haven't gone far enough to make Teshin work with two blades. For me it's more believable that the second katana is a backup, in case the first one gets knocked off, or Teshin decides to throw it. I dunno, having another blade with the katana just seems inherently wrong. To be fair, having two bladed weapons is impractical in general, but the usage of katana is pretty established to be single blade only, and really, these traits are what makes a katana a katana. Introducing a shorter sword as a pairing in combat and deviating from the katana norm kinda just make them dual swords, doesn't it?

It's not necessary to have it jump out, it won't help the problem anyway, and it'll also need a reason as to why it can jump out without any means of propulsion, even if it's Warframe. Mag can probably get away with it, being all magneto and all, or Inaros, having the bugs take it out for him, but that's it, no other frame has any reason for this to be possible besides if the sheathe itself launches the blade like Metal Gear Rising, but that's only there to make the draw faster.

The problem is that the arm is usually shorter than a full sized blade by a good amount, and when you draw it on the same side, you only have a bit over your arm length to work with as you extend out to accommodate the way it curves, which is not enough to take the blade out if the edge is pointing up. You can kinda imagine the same problem if a guy tries to draw the nikana from a back holster.

A two hand draw like the current nikana works because you have over two arm lengths to work with.

Having the edge down like Blind Justice can probably fix that, since if you draw upwards, there is the length of your arm and upper body to work with. But that probably won't look too pleasing, it would be like the person eagerly raising their hand to ask a question.

They could just make a dual sword holster position, the current optional one is on each side as I recall, that would be nice. The Dex Dakra would look pretty good. Or even just an attachment to the existing nikanas of a shorter blade for cosmetics.

Fun fact. Shorter blades have been seen with Katanas, but they're a backup at best, and for ceremonial suicide at worse.

2 hours ago, AlphaSierraMike said:

Or the devs haven't gone far enough to make Teshin work with two blades. For me it's more believable that the second katana is a backup, in case the first one gets knocked off, or Teshin decides to throw it. I dunno, having another blade with the katana just seems inherently wrong. To be fair, having two bladed weapons is impractical in general, but the usage of katana is pretty established to be single blade only, and really, these traits are what makes a katana a katana. Introducing a shorter sword as a pairing in combat and deviating from the katana norm kinda just make them dual swords, doesn't it?

It's not necessary to have it jump out, it won't help the problem anyway, and it'll also need a reason as to why it can jump out without any means of propulsion, even if it's Warframe. Mag can probably get away with it, being all magneto and all, or Inaros, having the bugs take it out for him, but that's it, no other frame has any reason for this to be possible besides if the sheathe itself launches the blade like Metal Gear Rising, but that's only there to make the draw faster.

The problem is that the arm is usually shorter than a full sized blade by a good amount, and when you draw it on the same side, you only have a bit over your arm length to work with as you extend out to accommodate the way it curves, which is not enough to take the blade out if the edge is pointing up. You can kinda imagine the same problem if a guy tries to draw the nikana from a back holster.

A two hand draw like the current nikana works because you have over two arm lengths to work with.

Having the edge down like Blind Justice can probably fix that, since if you draw upwards, there is the length of your arm and upper body to work with. But that probably won't look too pleasing, it would be like the person eagerly raising their hand to ask a question.

They could just make a dual sword holster position, the current optional one is on each side as I recall, that would be nice. The Dex Dakra would look pretty good. Or even just an attachment to the existing nikanas of a shorter blade for cosmetics.

Fun fact. Shorter blades have been seen with Katanas, but they're a backup at best, and for ceremonial suicide at worse.

To add onto the quoted post: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daishō for more info. 

So not to get into a dragging debate over reality of a fantasy game I'll keep this brief. 

17th century, the famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi promoted the use of a one-handed grip, which allowed both swords to be used simultaneously.  This is the sort of thing I was referring to.

would they look cool (most definitely) 

is it my job to work it all out for the devs (definitely not)

but thank you for your input. 

p.s. it was a tanto that was uses for ritual suicide normally with a second available to remove the head and make sure they didn't dishonour themselves. 

Edited by Elorrick

10 hours ago, Elorrick said:

Having finished the war within I can't help but be a little jealous of Teshin and his twin Nikana blades.  I definitely think there is a place for this in the warframe world. Maybe as a Conclave weapon (it would certainly make me use conclave more) but as part of a skin upgrade for Excaliber (he is the sword frame after all and think a Teshin / samurai robe styled skin would look very cool.) 

Well, this could be implemented in two ways:

-Actual Conclave weapon Twin/Dual Nikana. Should have it's own stance, also acquired trough Conclave standing (would also open up to make Conclave Stances usable in PvE). The scabbards could be fixed to the Warframe while we wield the devastating power of both.

OR

-A Conclave Auxiliary cosmetic Nikana Shoto, no dual nikana stance or weapon, just a cosmetic you can attach to your warframe.

Also, Teshin uses the Orvius (a Glaive) while having his fancy Nikanas, so he can also teach us the secret to carry two melee on a single loadout.

10 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Ever heard of this guy http://dgrayman.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Kanda ?

He easily uses two katanas, but only has one sheath. How, you ask. Simple, the second one is an illusion.

How do we implement this in Warframe? Instead of acting like the second one is an illusion, make it out of energy...then realise it would only really work as an augment for Exalted Blade. (not that people have't been asking for a Dual Swords Exalted Blade)

Besides, ''You need to make sure the sheat doesn't move.'' come on. Have you not seen some of the Blind Justice combos, or like the entire Decisive Judgement stance? Making sure the sheath doesn't move is like the last of your worries with the help of video game logic.

i suppose the sarcasm went over your head

if your going for an actual samurai look you will need to bring the Daikyu on your setup along with your nikana sidearm aka backup weapon yes thats right katanas(swords) where not the primary weapon of the samurai the bows spears and pole arms where the primary weapons. then there is the Edo armor set.

On 5.12.2016 at 9:48 AM, Zhoyzu said:

how are you going to use two nikanas when you only have 2 hands? you need to make sure the sheath doesnt move.

The second weapon isnt a katana, its a shorter weapon. Its similar to a longsword-shortsword combo. Like already mentioned there are persons in history who made use of this and there are real fighting stances in existance using both weapons at once.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 10:34 AM, Elorrick said:

Samurais may have had 2 swords at all times, but they only used the long one, and the wakizashi was never normally used.

I know what you will say next: "But, but, dual-wielding...". That was a very esoteric style, not used much at all, especially not effective and certainly that's not what the two katanas are for.

On 22/12/2016 at 10:27 AM, Date_Terumune said:

All is fine but locking it to the worst part of warframe [PvP] may be a total crime.

Nah, it would be fine. Just like the other Syndicate weapons. Or maybe follow Simaris path and make the bp available trough Conclave and the weapon built for Plat on the market.