Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The AFK punishment system needs to be completely removed and rethought

AdunSaveMe

-There's no way to know you've been marked as AFK except guessing or being shown the rewards you aren't getting.

-It doesn't do what it's supposed to do. It doesn't get rid of AFK players, and removing all their rewards is meaningless. There is no solution to AFK players aside from vote kicking, which has too much potential to be abused. Add a report function, or have players that are actually AFK warned and then removed from the mission.

-Its detection is downright stupid. Not moving = AFK. This screws with things that DE themselves actually designed, like Mesa. You can be doing all the damage in the game and you'll get marked as AFK. If someone is not moving, shooting or casting abilities, they should be marked; nobody should be marked just for standing in one spot.

-It's pointless. Since it doesn't do what it's designed to do, AND it's easy to work around for trolls or leechers, it has no reason to exist. It's punishing regular players more than the people it's supposed to punish, and therefore has no good reason to keep existing aside from malice.

It was a nice idea, but it doesn't work. It's not solving any problems, it's just making new ones.

It does not do what it's supposed to do, it's that simple. It doesn't matter what you think a player "should" be doing, it doesn't change the fact that this system does nothing to combat AFK players and is completely ineffective except for inconveniencing everyone else.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

I heard someone getting kicked out of a session for not killing any enemies for 15 minutes.

...It was a Syndicate Exterminate mission and he was exploring the map after all the enemies were gone.

Also, AFKers can just move around once every few minutes to avoid the AFK detection.

Yeah, the current AFK system is really dumb, I don't exactly know how it should be changed but the current one is not working.

Edited by NativeKiller

1 minute ago, NativeKiller said:

I heard someone getting kicked out of a session for not killing any enemies for 15 minutes.

...It was a Syndicate Exterminate mission and he was exploring the map after all the enemies were gone.

What if you are doing a syndicate mission and you are looking for the medallions?

You killed everyone and you spend 15 min searching for them?

Is it fair to be kicked? (if this is true in the first place?)

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Oussii said:

What if you are doing a syndicate mission and you are looking for the medallions?

You killed everyone and you spend 15 min searching for them?

Is it fair to be kicked? (if this is true in the first place?)

I am pretty sure I can find the quote for the person who said this if I tried... but I really hope that I don't have to. :3

And, no, I don't think it's fair, but I heard they do that to prevent people leaving empty sessions open and place burdens on the server.

...It still sucks if you ask me. :{

Edited by NativeKiller

New Anti-AFK Measure:

AFK Timer Removed

Alt-Firing in Melee mode now casts out a ripline that can be used on enemies, allies, or obstacles, no energy cost, no cooldown. 

Valkyr given a new #1: Idunno, something usefull and interesting.

Edited by Gelkor

Just now, NativeKiller said:

I am pretty sure I can find the quote for the person who said this if I tried... but I really hope that I don't have to. :3

And, no, I don't think it's fair, but I heard they do that to prevent people leaving empty session open and place burdens on the server.

sure it does, big time specially on big maps

I once did an exterminate mission on Lua, because I wanted to find a specific tile to take screenshots on, because I'm a long-time abuser of the remote observer. I found the tile, so I killed all of the enemies, backtracked almost the entire way back to the beginning to where the tile was, and spent probably around 15 minutes taking screenshots.

Just stuff like this, mostly:

tumblr_oi5v16Zi871s8qpc2o1_r1_1280.png

I was mostly immobile; just throwing around the remote observer and maybe changing how I would sit or kneel. Never really went anywhere, so I guess that triggered the alarm. It suddenly told me that I had like 30(?) seconds to extract or the mission would autofail. I ran like absolute mad, and reached extraction just as the timer hit zero. It showed me extracting, but the "Mission Failed" display popped up behind my mission rewards overlay.

It was weird, and I was mad that my screenshot session was interrupted. I tried to find that tile again, and no luck.

13 minutes ago, NativeKiller said:

To be fair, that was a bug. When all enemies are dead the mission is supposed to allow you to remain exploring, it was bugged when first implemented and has been fixed since then AFAIK.

Edited by Gelkor

6 minutes ago, NativeKiller said:

And, no, I don't think it's fair, but I heard they do that to prevent people leaving empty sessions open and place burdens on the server.

I am currently running a test on this actually.  I have seen enough reports that i am going to try and replicate it and than do a report with screens.

Just now, Gelkor said:

To be fair, that was a bug. When all enemies are dead the mission is supposed to allow you to remain exploring, it was bugged when first implemented and has been fixed since then.

Well, that's nice to hear, although I am pretty sure I heard this happening only a few months ago. :3

...I wonder if people would still get kicked out of sessions for not killing anything for 15 minutes...

On something like a Spy mission.

I am not sure about that 15 mins after all enemies killed but there was a time when I started a mission in a safe spot and left the game after like 10-15 mins and after I have returned it showed me I failed it. It was an exterminate "invite only" alone so it didn't hurt anybody that I left it there.

Also there was a special case when I stuck into the tile itself and couldn't move (yeah tried /unstuck) and for I was AFK so I didn't get alert reward and could do the alert again.

Yeah I agree that the timer needs to be rethink. Now like a simple roll or couple step resets it is not going to do anything against leechers because they still can do that without shooting a weapon. And they will get the reward if they weren't afk at the end.

4 minutes ago, Telluric said:

I once did an exterminate mission on Lua, because I wanted to find a specific tile to take screenshots on, because I'm a long-time abuser of the remote observer. I found the tile, so I killed all of the enemies, backtracked almost the entire way back to the beginning to where the tile was, and spent probably around 15 minutes taking screenshots.

Just stuff like this, mostly:

tumblr_oi5v16Zi871s8qpc2o1_r1_1280.png

I was mostly immobile; just throwing around the remote observer and maybe changing how I would sit or kneel. Never really went anywhere, so I guess that triggered the alarm. It suddenly told me that I had like 30(?) seconds to extract or the mission would autofail. I ran like absolute mad, and reached extraction just as the timer hit zero. It showed me extracting, but the "Mission Failed" display popped up behind my mission rewards overlay.

It was weird, and I was mad that my screenshot session was interrupted. I tried to find that tile again, and no luck.

When did this happen?

Was it a long time ago or did it happen recently?

Just curious, since I'd hate it if it happened to me as well. :3

9 minutes ago, NativeKiller said:

Well, that's nice to hear, although I am pretty sure I heard this happening only a few months ago. :3

...I wonder if people would still get kicked out of sessions for not killing anything for 15 minutes...

On something like a Spy mission.

IIRC it was implemented a few months ago, for exterminate and sabotage missions, and a few others. 

Also, IIC the specific implementation is you can't go 15 minutes without working on the objective, so in the case of Spy you should have at least entered a spy vault. 

Correction: It only exists on Exterminate missions, and the intention is for it to go away when you are done, if you still get booted and everything is dead, it's a bug:

Edited by Gelkor

Ya, it's stupid.

For example whenever I get into an unfair match of Lunaro where teams are uneven and I happen to be on the one with more players, I like to just sit down and spectate so that my oponets will have a more fair chance at winning. Do that for too long and you get kicked, really bruh, you kick me for trying to be a nice pearson...what a cruel world we live in.

it's actually impossible for you to be marked AFK using Peacemaker if you were actually active right up until the moment you activated the Ability.
with Primed Flow you cannot have enough Energy to be in Peacemaker long enough for that to happen.

if a Player is playing the game (actually playing. AFKFarming strategies aren't playing) being marked AFK is almost completely impossible.
it doesn't surefire prevent Players from being AFK, but its effect on those that aren't AFK, is slim to nil.

6 minutes ago, taiiat said:

it's actually impossible for you to be marked AFK using Peacemaker if you were actually active right up until the moment you activated the Ability.
with Primed Flow you cannot have enough Energy to be in Peacemaker long enough for that to happen.

In "theory", it might be possible to be in Peacemaker long enough to trigger the AFK detection, if you were fighting an endless stream of enemies in a small room... and had an Arcane Energize Set.

Yeah, such a thing is quite unlikely to happen in normal game play. :3

Edited by NativeKiller

14 minutes ago, PETI258 said:

Yeah I agree that the timer needs to be rethink. Now like a simple roll or couple step resets it is not going to do anything against leechers because they still can do that without shooting a weapon. And they will get the reward if they weren't afk at the end.

In Defense or Survival missions, I am actually open to having "leechers" in the squad since the more Tennos there are, the more enemies spawn and the more XP you gain for killing them.  I know some "leechers" didn't intend to be "leechers" when they notice that their weapons can't really kill the enemies fast enough for others to "steal their kills" and they just end up going around picking the spoils of the mission.  Sometimes they just stop and wait that I need to remind them about the "XP timer".  For me, they are there to help get more enemies to spawn and more XP to gain.

I'm not even sure how the detection system works on Warframe anymore. Today I managed to afk two whole sortie missions and still got all the credits and shared exp. I had the Epic games launcher up, media player, and Warframe. Using alt-tab while joining a mission, Warframe just disappeared from the task bar and was not found in the task manager. Went on to play Paragon and returned after a few games to find Warframe still running and with two sortie missions complete.

Now I don't even know what happened and feel sorry for those that dragged my Nova around. However in my opinion that first sortie mission should not be considered complete on my account if I was found to be afk which some how I wasn't.

Paragon is an interesting comparison because it does not mess around when it comes to abandoning a match. It will kick you out and leave you with a warning which leads to 24hr ban if repeated twice. The warning is lifted after playing for certain amount of matches.

Edited by Postal_pat

37 minutes ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

no frame should be still for 5 minutes, this system should stay because a few edge cases shouldn't be enough to overhaul a system that mostly works.

The system should not stay because it has absolutely no purpose. And the timer is more like 2 minutes.

If people want to stand still, they should be allowed to. That doesn't mean they're AFK. That doesn't mean they're not helping, especially if they're solo, or on a defense map. The system has no reason to exist because it doesn't combat AFK players. It has literally no purpose, and it certainly does not "mostly work".

28 minutes ago, Sargeant_Q said:

I am currently running a test on this actually.  I have seen enough reports that i am going to try and replicate it and than do a report with screens.

And the test is done.  The timer may or may not be broken.  Looking at the time stamps on my screenshots it looks like it is currently 15 min from the last real action.  As in it was about 15 from the last container that i broke that the timer showed up.   I can provide said screens if needed.  I am not sure though if they have a time stamp or if it is just in the screenshot manager.

Back on the main topic.  I do agree this timer does not gain anything.  I don't know what a better one would be though.  Recently i had a run with my clan,  Defense in the void.  We took along our newest player so that we would have all 4 people.  After about wave 15 he stopped being able to do ANY damage.  He just sat by the pod after that and we killed.  He however was flagged as AFK for wave 20 and missed the reward.  Despite the fact that the reason he stop doing stuff was because he could not do anything.

I agree. I'm yet too see a single instance where its actually punished someone doing the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, NativeKiller said:

Also, AFKers can just move around once every few minutes to avoid the AFK detection.

Yeah, the current AFK system is really dumb, I don't exactly know how it should be changed but the current one is not working.

I've had this issue as well and I was so confused. You know what the worst part was? I was solo. I've even had it happen to me while solo in an exterminate because I stepped out for a short while and forgot to pause the game. I had no idea it was the AFK timer though. Why it even exists in solo is beyond me.

Just remove AFK punishment system completely and add vote kick. Of course, Limbo mainers will be against that since vote kick can be "abused", but honestly, I'd rather be kicked once in a blue moon due to abuse, than being constatly stuck with afk-ers in missions: as an example, I've had 3 guys standing AFK last few weeks in my pre-made long Hierakon runs.

Add vote kicking. That's it.

Edited by Vance.Stubbs