Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Virtual Reality is reducing my Warframe fun

Doc-Orange

Hello.

I love Warframe. I love the constant improvment of graphics, of gameplay etc.

Some time ago I started with VR. I owned all 3 major headsets (HTC Vive, PSVR and Oculus Rift). And beware, when I speak about VR, I dont speak about "something" where you can bring you Smartphone in. This is not VR for me.

I sold my PSVR today and actually I ended with Oculus because of the graphic quality and with Oculus Touch a real good tracking.

I play FPS on these systems. These are titles like Bullet Train, Raw Data, Buttel Sorrow, Sairento ( a bad-a** ninja shooter :satisfied: - ok, no space ninja). These titels are called horde shooters, most of the are early access. When you play these games in VR the immersion is incredible. When I memorize some gamesessions my brain feels in a way that I was really there. When I memorize Warframe sessions I memorize playing a fantastic game in front of a screen. And exactly this is my problem. Warframe declines so much against these "experience" that I play WF less than before. It feels "flat". Its like coming back to a Nintendo Gameboy with so much less imersion. Dont missunderstand me. Thats not a problem of Warframe. Its a problem of 2D Gaming. I own a 3m screenwide projector in my home cinema and often play WF on it - but even this is no comparison.

VR is still in the kindergarden or even less. The games are extremly simple structured. The graphic is still medium. Storytelling is bad, but even with all these problems the immersion is great!

Edited by Doc-Orange

So is this like a vr advertisement post lol? Doesnt seem like its so much about warframe, and just about how great vr is. It seems cool, but doubt itll really be that fleshed out before its forgotten. I already feel like theres a big decline on vr hype.

And here I am thinking the exact Opposite. VR Games are so boring and the mechanics used for VR are so incredible bad that i pretty much gave up on it by now. Honestly its fun for a few hours but after that not so much. I prefer Games on a 2D Screen over the whole VR thing anyday and I personally think that VR won't go exactly as People hope it will go. I doubt you will ever be able to play real Shooters on VR for example. They will have to stick with the whole "teleport to move and then stand still and just shoot hordes of enemies" mechanic they have right now because everything else just doesn't work. And you definitly will never be able to play fast paced Games with a Movementsystem like you have in Warframe on VR.

Anyway don't really see the reasoning behidn this post and why you decided to post this in the Warframe Forums since that is pretty much just a VR advertising post or a VR vs normal Games post but nothing related to Warframe (except that you play Warframe).

Edited by Evers

Just now, Doc-Orange said:

This is a general discussion about the immersion of WF against a new technology. If you want to discuss or share experiences, you're welcome. If you dont like it - ignore it, pls.

So... we can't post why we think it's a bad idea?

There is no "idea" - its a share of experience. Do you have an idea to share about this topic?

Well, if this has nothing to do with Warframe, you should have posted this in the Off-Topic section.

If it is Warframe-related, then I am afraid I must protest. This game would not work with VR.

8 minutes ago, Doc-Orange said:

This is a general discussion about the immersion of WF against a new technology. If you want to discuss or share experiences, you're welcome. If you dont like it - ignore it, pls.

This is General Discussion about Warframe. Your Topic would more fit into Offtopic. You name Warframe once the Rest is talk about how amzing VR is (which I do not agree with but I already said that previously). You could replace Warframe in your Post with any other non VR Game and it would not change the Post at all. This is absolutly not related to Warframe so I don't see the Point in posting this here.

But if you want a Discussion about it I will just write what I wrote previously: VR is overhyped and nonVR Games win anyday (as I already said in my post) because VR Games have nothing for them except that they are in VR. They loose in every single aspect, be it Graphic, Gameplay, Story, whatever. And that won't change in the Future either. So VR is good for a few hours of Fun and thats it. Enjoy it for the time beeing, you will get bored soon and be happy to switch back to "normal" Games since they are just absolutly superior (yes also in the immersion department).

Edited by Evers

For me personally its Warframe related but I dont mind to move it to off-topic. Can I move it or is this only possible for a moderator?

Do you have experiences with a good VR set (no smartphone) and played some games or why are you so against it?

Edited by Doc-Orange

Because I compared MY personal experience with Warframe with my VR experience. I didnt compare my experience in Diablo etc.

There is a difference in different games. WF is a 3rd person shooter. Highest immersion in general should be in a 1st person shooter, next tier is 3rd person shooter. Then you have to take in mind different levels of realism in graphic style. Borderlands has less immersion for me than Warframe and so on.

So Warframe has its own grade of immersion and normally the objective was to discuss about this grade in comparison to VR. I have to face that this went wrong.

Have a nice day.

"Dislike on principle" made my day :crylaugh:

I think VR will have it good chances in the future, but not less that 10 years from now. When we will have good hardware and software.
As now i see it as a nice "tech display" but both hardware and software seem unfinished and unpolished.
As now i feel the opposite, i enjoy flat-screen games much more. It may seem a counter-sense but alot of things in VR really break the immersion it should have (for me atleast) and i feel much more immersed in a well made regular game.

Sure VR is the route we are all going (unlike 3d) but there's quite a lot of wait for it to be perfected and meanwhile ill enjoy much more regular games like warframe.

I think its a personal thingy, but so far i found no game and headset that got me that much like you say. And i own nothing but tried pretty much everything thanks to a friend with his own VR room with audio surround and everything else

1 minute ago, JohnKable said:

I think VR will have it good chances in the future, but not less that 10 years from now. When we will have good hardware and software.
As now i see it as a nice "tech display" but both hardware and software seem unfinished and unpolished.
As now i feel the opposite, i enjoy flat-screen games much more. It may seem a counter-sense but alot of things in VR really break the immersion it should have (for me atleast) and i feel much more immersed in a well made regular game.

Sure VR is the route we are all going (unlike 3d) but there's quite a lot of wait for it to be perfected and meanwhile ill enjoy much more regular games like warframe.

I think its a personal thingy, but so far i found no game and headset that got me that much like you say. And i own nothing but tried pretty much everything thanks to a friend with his own VR room with audio surround and everything else

Thanks for a constructive post!

"Dislike on principle" made my day :crylaugh:

Pray tell, why would that be?

1 minute ago, Doc-Orange said:

Because I compared MY personal experience with Warframe with my VR experience. I didnt compare my experience in Diablo etc.

If you could make this topic about any other game, then it has nothing to do with Warframe.

2 minutes ago, Doc-Orange said:

So Warframe has its own grade of immersion and normally the objective was to discuss about this grade in comparison to VR.

So... where's the discussion? What are we discussing? What is the aim of this?

VR in Warframe would be pretty damn crazy (in a bad way). If you take into account extremely fast movement, ton of particle effects, screen shaking during explosions and other stuff, VR would be pretty much vomit inducing thing here. Now I don't know anything about games you mentioned here, but I would be surprised if they were in the same style of gameplay as Warframe is (or have as much stuff going on in such small time span). I personally believe VR could have some good uses in exploration simulators (without some wild fighting) or horror games, but only for the people, who would want to ramp up their jump-scare factor to another level. In the few instances I actually tried VR, it was either some slow moving simulation (I was experimenting with it during my recent university years a bit) or it was something completely confusing and I had to take it off in about 10 minutes.

What I get from these FPS on VR is that they are the kind of horde-shooters on a rail you find on handheld devices and in old-style arcades. Understandable since the tech is new and as such it's going to go through all the processes other tech has already been through. I can see how it would be "immersive" because it's new, but these games wil bore any seasoned FPS player within no time, since they don't really offer anything really new in the sense of game-play. They are currently just arcade shooters, point and click.
Like people already pointed out: WF would NOT work with the current batch of VR. Not in the least because of the cognitive dissonance of moving at an ungodly speed while sitting stationary. Plus, it's not first person, so you'll feel like running behind someone/something. OTOH it'll be a better experience from a transference POV.

I'm reminded of what John Carmac once said about DOOM. How they had all these ideas to put in but couldn't because the public just wasn't used to the basics yet. SystemShock, the precursor to the BioShock series, suffered immensely from it. SS2 came out at the same time as HalfLife. Was much more immersive and had a gazillion more options for role-playing, but was deemed to complicated (for that time). People just weren't used to what it had to offer. As such everybody knows, and has played, HalfLife, fewer people are acquainted with SS2 and the people who finished that game are even rarer. But from my viewpoint, a seasoned (47) gamer who has played nearly everything that is even remotely FPS, it is the best game ever created. Like, really. If they would reskin it to bring to current standards it would STILL blow 90% of what is now out there out of the water (I would even say SS2 is FAR better then all of the BioShocks combined). Far ahead of it's time and as such lost in obscurity.

Eeeeh... my point... eeeh.. Oh, yes, what this shows is that for new tech to be successful it needs to be ubiquitous for at least a generation. So that people can get used to the concepts behind the tech and that these concepts can mature to a level that it becomes acceptable for the mainstream. VR is not there by a long shot. It is great that people like OP get behind it and love it though, so it gets a chance to get to that level of saturation needed to be called "mainstream". 
But the games for VR should be designed for VR and not, like currently seems to be the thought process, build for screen/KB&Mouse with some extra depth perception for those that have the VR peripherals. And this is the catch, I think. As long as the market saturation is too low, mainstream studios will be careful in choosing the VR-only path and as long as the games on offer aren't on-par with the non-vr games we can get, people will be hesitant to spend that amount of money on a VR set. Most people have other priorities and can't afford to buy everything in the current batch of VR.

So, in short, Kudos to OP for being an early adopter and let's hope they make something out of VR. But do not, for a second, think our current games translate well to VR since these are build with a whole different paradigm in mind. But IMHO anything that brings us closer to a real Holodeck should get our support, and the current breed of VR is a step in the good direction....

If there would a WF related game this must be a different one than the non-VR game. The actual games are pretty simple. In these horde shooters you stand in an area and defend an objective against enemies - sounds familiar ;) The movement is simplified with either telepoting (which works really well without motion sickness) or full locomation.

Take one of our defense levels add special reduced movement and look the Grineers into their eyes. This is extremly easy to develope.