Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Complete Weapon Redesign/Rename Of Scythes.

Chaos_777

I have been a lover of scythes my entire gaming career and I know I am a simple minority in a community that thinks their opinions matter. Nevertheless I love warframe and think their could be a serious new heavy melee. The current "Scythes" are not scythes they are sickles. A Scythe is something you see on the grim reaper. A Sickle is a one handed version of a scythe. Now yes I know the frames use a "scythe" with 2 hands but its clearly obvious they could one hand it. I highly advice renaming the current "Scythes" to Sickles and making a new class of weapons that are actually scythes. Scythes would likely have puncture damage(Which would help the lack of puncture melee weapons) Let's make this possible show support in the discussion and help make scythes a true reality instead of knockoff sickles we own today! 

Scythes like the Reaper Prime and Ether Reaper are already a thing and aside form things like the Kama most of the scythes work just fine for the category. Giving them puncture damage makes no sense at all since they're literally giant, curved blades on a stick, if you're using that you're not stabbing them with it you're swinging it to draw blood.

Which one of these  Image result for scythe vs sickle or  Image result for scythes

resembles more to this?

Image result for kama and reaper warframe

The only reason Scythes are used with two hands normally, is to keep the blade close to the ground by using our hip as the pivot point. Something we can't do with one hand due to the way our shoulders rotate. But given Tennos are warriors and not farmers, its ok if they hold it with one hand. 

You're not the only one that wants the handles of Scythes to be extended to fit the fantasy trope of what most games depict as an actual scythe, and not just a sickle. I can understand why they won't do it; they would have to redo the models for Anku, Ether Reaper, Reaper Prime, and Hate. They would have to redo a lot of the animations for Reaping Spiral...and whatever the other 'scythe' stance is and then there are some people that like the scythes the way they are. They keep all those assets and rename them 'Sickles' and then create a proper fantasy scythe weapon class, but gonna guess it's not a priority.

But just know you're not the only one that legit wants a 7 foot stick with curved blade on the end to use outside of Archwing.

But note the size difference i realize they look like scythes but their size is lacking and its not like scythes being used differently then a farmer isn't already been done. Something like this  evie-horrific-scream-new.jpg Just not THAT huge. maybe a 3/4 the size of that^

51 minutes ago, chaoscupcake77 said:

But note the size difference i realize they look like scythes but their size is lacking and its not like scythes being used differently then a farmer isn't already been done. Something like this  evie-horrific-scream-new.jpg Just not THAT huge. maybe a 3/4 the size of that^

So they're marginally smaller then a farmer's scythes (which you use as a reference) enough for you to call them out on as being unrealistic, but you want to add 3 feet to them and then they'll fit the definition in your eyes? 

If you want a larger scythes, just ask for a larger scythes. Don't be saying the current weapon is miss-named if you don't even know how a scythe is defined.  

Edited by (PS4)Regiampiero

1 hour ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

Which one of these  Image result for scythe vs sickle or  Image result for scythes

resembles more to this?

The only reason Scythes are used with two hands normally, is to keep the blade close to the ground by using our hip as the pivot point. Something we can't do with one hand due to the way our shoulders rotate. But given Tennos are warriors and not farmers, its ok if they hold it with one hand. 

The kama doesn't resemble western sickles because it's an eastern sickle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama_(weapon)

Edited by rapt0rman

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

The kama doesn't resemble western sickles because it's an eastern sickle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama_(weapon)

Oh, I didn't know the Orokins were descendant of the Japanese. Everything makes sense now. 

Stop reading too much into it, its a large weapon not something as small as a dagger. Maybe not as big as some people would want it to be, but still big enough to be a scythe.  

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

Oh, I didn't know the Orokins were descendant of the Japanese. Everything makes sense now. 

Stop reading too much into it, its a large weapon not something as small as a dagger. Maybe not as big as some people would want it to be, but still big enough to be a scythe.  

Errr... weapons in warframe come from all over the globe, they're the descendants of all of humanity.

I'm not actually sure which side of the debate you're on but I'm not reading too much into anything, it's a kama because it's literally a kama.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

resembles more to this?

I dunno, the hema showed us how much we farm...

On topic,

Back at pax au last year I asked this question

Steve said it's in the works apparently

50-52.00 on the clip

A scythe isn't even a real weapon, so complaining about accuracy is a bit silly. In history, when scythes were used as weapons, their blades were removed and re-mounted in a vertical orientation, to more closely resemble a bill or glaive/naginata (spear-like slashing weapon). A real scythe would be swung from the hip, close to the ground, with both hands. It's designed for harvesting crops, but a reaping tool such as that is not effective in combat. The scythe as a weapon is pure fantasy. Now, there is nothing wrong with fantasy. We're space ninjas. But there is no historical fact with which to justify this particular fantasy. It would be better to simply say, "I want to be a Grim Reaper", rather than, "these aren't scythes". Warframe's glaives don't even remotely resemble actual glaives, either, but what are we to do about that?

Edited by DreamsmithJane
Correcting a typo