Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

make warframe cross platform if possible?

AshMan1228

2 minutes ago, funnyboy1214 said:

well if possible they can receive the updates the same time as us just like rocket league. 

That means delaying PC updates, by quite a lot. DE has, thankfully, chosen not to hold us back for them. DE wants to release PC content when they have it ready to go, not then wait another month for the cert process of the consoles.

2 minutes ago, SethCypher said:

Its almost impossible for DE to do cross platform because updates are always going to be late on the console. This has more to do with the certification process with Sony than anything that has to do with DE.

Why only Sony? That is not the only thing that comes to mind when you think of consoles, right?

Sure enough, it's very hard to port such a complex game on 3 platforms at the same time, so it's inevitable it takes a good while. But even if DE were to do it flawlessly, the updates still won't be at the same time, due to how the consoles do the whole process.

The reason why cross-platform cannot work between PC and console is because console releases are always behind PC releases. Cross-platform play only works when all participants are on the same version of the software.

The reason why console releases are delayed is because Sony and Microsoft have to certify each patch submission from DE. This is essentially to make sure the patch does not contain any bugs that could adversely affect their network, hardware, or what-not.

The reason why PC releases are not delayed to match console releases is because DE has complete control over the timing of their PC releases, meaning bugs found by players in PC releases can be hotfixed with faster turnaround. Essentially, PC players are performing an additional crowd-sourced layer of play testing that is far more efficient and will test far more obscure situations than an internal QA team possibly can. Ultimately, this results in a more stable console release.

26 minutes ago, funnyboy1214 said:

so what takes the consoles so long just to get the update cause they still havent got the glast gambit update.

every time they try to update the game they need need certification from sony/microsoft and if it's not approved then the wait will be even longer

I'd just like to make a mention here for everyone that IF DE were to ever make the decision to hold back PC updates so they could have cross-platform with Xbox One/PS4, it would not just suck for PC, it would suck for EVERYONE.

PC are their literal beta testers. We have to deal with (not that I have a problem with it, fyi) running into and reporting ALL the bugs that crop up that their QA team doesn't catch before release. This allows DE to iron out the kinks BEFORE they release each build on the consoles. If the PC updates were held back to release in the same batches as consoles, not only would xbox/playstation users now be exposed to all the nasty bugs that can crop up, but we'd (probably) have to wait for an ENTIRE update cycle (a LONG time as any console user should know) before they can iron out those bugs in a patch, and that very same patch would then introduce new bugs. The whole process would become incredibly clunky, slow, and a lot more work overall for DE, and less enjoyable for the community as a whole.

It's understandable why people would want cross-platform play, but unfortunately due mainly to how Sony/MS' cert processes work it's just not at all feasible at this point in time.

Even if they could somehow get the builds in synch if ever that happened I don't think Microsoft and Sony would allow their players to interact with each other so if that happened it would probably be limited to PC/Xbox One and PC/PS4 where console players would never be in the same game at any given time. Not that a larger playerbase ever hurts but that combined with the fact that Cert is a thing pretty much kills the dream.

Edited by -Amaterasu-
redundant

That's another thing to remember, hotfixes will be a thing of the past if they ever decide all three systems should get updates exactly the same moment for the sake of cross platform play. On PC, game breaking bugs are hotfixed asap, that's not possible if you want to maintain cross platform play.

6 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

Even if they could somehow get the builds in synch if ever that happened I don't think Microsoft and Sony would allow their players to interact with each other so if ever that happened it would probably be limited to PC/Xbox One and PC/PS4 where console players would never be in the same game at any given time. Not that a larger playerbase ever hurts but that combined with the fact that Cert is a thing pretty much kills the dream.

awww man... i just want game with my console friends i just wish all of this is easy to do and done i guess thats not the case.

2 hours ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

Why only Sony? That is not the only thing that comes to mind when you think of consoles, right?

Sure enough, it's very hard to port such a complex game on 3 platforms at the same time, so it's inevitable it takes a good while. But even if DE were to do it flawlessly, the updates still won't be at the same time, due to how the consoles do the whole process.

I actually forgot Warframe was on Xbox to be honest.

Edited by SethCypher

2 hours ago, funnyboy1214 said:

awww man... i just want game with my console friends i just wish all of this is easy to do and done i guess thats not the case.

Nope. Not easy at all.

Some games manage it but games like this have constant updates that can break things in game. Sony/MC won't allow that so go through a process PC doesn't have to.

In order to have pure cross play Sony and Microsoft would have to kiss and make up, which will never happen due to competing, and PC updates would have to slow right down which, again, won't ever happen.

It's never going to happen.

I found this little nugget while doing some research on this topic.  Quote is from Wikipedia article on Cross-platform play. 

Both Pysonix, the developers of Rocket League, and CD Projekt, the developers of Gwent: The Witcher Card Game, stated they have made all the technical requirements to enable cross-platform play between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and would only require Sony's authorization to activate these within a matter of hours.

Edit: So in a way, the only thing really stopping DE from doing it is the update schedule and some business policies.  I think DE even mentioned this in a Devstream.  I can't remember which one though. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
added info