Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong's tiny stick

Madamou

GwDAYDM_700wa_0.gif < This is my when I saw the concept of Wukong and his kit, and when I started playing him...

Don't get me wrong, Wukong is an amazing frame, very tanky and with great survivability but he is supposed to be based on Sun Wukong...

" Sun Wukong possesses immense strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (7,960 kilograms (17,550 lb)) staff with ease. He is also extremely fast, able to travel 108,000 li (21,675 kilometres (13,468 mi)) in one somersault. (Note that this is more than half way around the world.) Sun knows 72 transformations, which allow him to transform into various animals and objects; however, he is troubled in transforming into other forms, due to the accompanying incomplete transformation of his tail. Sun Wukong is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best warriors of heaven. Each of his hairs possess magical properties, capable of being transformed into clones of the Monkey King himself, and/or into various weapons, animals, and other objects. He knows spells to command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike. "

And his staff, Ruyi Jingu Bang, is initially described as a pillar of black iron twenty feet in height and the width of a barrel. It is only when Monkey lifts it and suggests that a smaller size would be more manageable that the staff complies with his wishes and shrinks. This is when Sun sees that the weapon is banded with a gold ring on each end, as well as the inscription along the body reading "The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod. The inscription indicates that the staff follows the commands of its owner, shrinking or growing to their whim, make copies of itself, and that it is immensely heavy, weighing 17,550 lbs (7,960 kg).When not in use, Monkey shrinks it down to the size of a needle and keeps it tucked behind his ear.

I understand and agree that DE made a great job with Wukong, but his staff's range feels so tiny. It's supposed to have almost infinite range, in Warframe, even if you build up the +200% range and use a Primed Reach mod, a Simple Atterax or Lecta will outrange it with Primed Reach.

See the problem ?

Edited by Madamou

Just now, JSharpie said:

Haven't you seen the gif?

What gif ?

Also I'd be please with it just being the weapon with the highest range in the game, it doesn't need to be crazy big, and it would still be limited by Melee Weapons Physical Limits

" Sun Wukong possesses immense strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (7,960 kilograms (17,550 lb)) staff with ease. He is also extremely fast, able to travel 108,000 li (21,675 kilometres (13,468 mi)) in one somersault. (Note that this is more than half way around the world.) Sun knows 72 transformations, which allow him to transform into various animals and objects; however, he is troubled in transforming into other forms, due to the accompanying incomplete transformation of his tail. Sun Wukong is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best warriors of heaven. Each of his hairs possess magical properties, capable of being transformed into clones of the Monkey King himself, and/or into various weapons, animals, and other objects. He knows spells to command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike. "

this is honestly some coldsteel the hedgeheg S#&amp;&#036; right here

Just now, Retequizzle said:

Solution:

Let us throw Wukong's staff with the alt-fire button while equipped, give it similar properties to a glaive while thrown and just not give it any additional bounces - there and back.  Voila, Wukong infinitely more fun.

Or make the stance better and more mobile or copter

40 minutes ago, NPC said:

Yeah completely limitless staff would be game breaking, but the staff should at least offer largest range of any melee weapon in the game. 

That's my main issue with Primal Fury. Melee weapons that any frame can equip are better than his ultimate ability.

3 hours ago, malekas said:

That's my main issue with Primal Fury. Melee weapons that any frame can equip are better than his ultimate ability.

He fails at everything except immortality, but what good is immortality if the rest of his abilities suck anyway? Honestly, the only thing Defy is missing is auto aggro, making Wukong finally have a use; undying distraction. 

1 hour ago, NPC said:

Yeah completely limitless staff would be game breaking, but the staff should at least offer largest range of any melee weapon in the game. 

Agree. It doesnt have to be ridiculous, but now you just spend energy to do less damage than a lot of other melees. Even its combo counter is worse.

10 hours ago, JSharpie said:

But doing that would make it incredibly overpowered.

Haven't you seen the gif?

Like Saryn with a Max range Spore build.

Like Mirage with Synoid Simulor or most decent AoE weapons.

Like Ember in Low and mid-level farms.

Like the Telos Boltace + Maiming Strike build

Like the Tonkor

Like a max range Nezah spamming his 4 for farming.

Like limbo and his rift walk especially in rescue missions.

Like Banshee built for her 4 and augmented.

Like Ivara built for Sleep arrow and Invisibility on a Interception.

Like Max Nova's Molecular Prime.

Like Nyx's Chaos or Absorb especially with Augment.

Like a Vauban spamming Bastille with max range.

Like a Rhino who can get 50k-80k Iron Skin with his augments.

Like a Valkyr who is kitted out to her teeth and can still maintain Hysteria perpetually.

While I agree that the range shouldn't be limitless I feel like it should be considerably more than it is if you put in 200%, 250% power range and have Primed Reach.

Did I miss any?  The issue is that other warframes have qualities that make them BOTH unique and useful.  Wukong is unique but not particularly more useful then any other warframe especially in the damage department.  His 4 is beat out by Excaliburs Range and damage and Valkyr's Damage by far.  Valkyr can mimic his Defy but better as it only steadily goes down.  Rhino can do better then his Defy for even level 120 content by super charging his Iron skin and getting it up to 50k at minimal.

Wukong is a unique and awesome looking warframe.  I'm still going to feel like his 4 is a limp pool noodle however compared to everyone above.

Edited by achromos

primal Fury 2.0:

- Wukong's staff can now extend to limitless range, but is bound by solid objects (cannot go through walls)

-  enemies close to Wukong, within melee distance, take standard damage, while enemies closer to the end of the staff take much less damage, but have a greater chance of being knocked down. this allows Wukong to crowd control without being overpowered.

- some Combos are changed to be more CC oriented, providing lots of stagger and knockdown moves in addition to damage.

I feel this would make Wukong more unique, in a somewhat easy to implement way, without making him overpowered. just a suggestion.

56 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

primal Fury 2.0:

- Wukong's staff can now extend to limitless range, but is bound by solid objects (cannot go through walls)

-  enemies close to Wukong, within melee distance, take standard damage, while enemies closer to the end of the staff take much less damage, but have a greater chance of being knocked down. this allows Wukong to crowd control without being overpowered.

- some Combos are changed to be more CC oriented, providing lots of stagger and knockdown moves in addition to damage.

I feel this would make Wukong more unique, in a somewhat easy to implement way, without making him overpowered. just a suggestion.

People closer to the end would end up taking more damage, more velocity behind it and this more energy would be needed to stop it where as someone closer by could stop it much easier.

BUt as far as Wukong's current Ultimate ya it is out ranged by like.. a lot of weapons including the same types of staves. The Orthos Prime out ranges it by meters even when maxed out.

Edited by SilvaDreams

4 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

People closer to the end would end up taking more damage, more velocity behind it and this more energy would be needed to stop it where as someone closer by could stop it much easier.

I know that's how physics and leverage work, but I said it for the sake of balance, the reason nobody wants infinite range is because unless it has some kind of drawback, it'll be too powerful. it's just a way of reigning in Wukong's damage at a distance with the staff without making it completely useless. plus it wouldn't make much sense for a melee frame to be doing the most damage from afar, now would it?

7 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I know that's how physics and leverage work, but I said it for the sake of balance, the reason nobody wants infinite range is because unless it has some kind of drawback, it'll be too powerful. it's just a way of reigning in Wukong's damage at a distance with the staff without making it completely useless. plus it wouldn't make much sense for a melee frame to be doing the most damage from afar, now would it?

Excalibur says Hi.

I know you said frame but that was a quick example.

Telos Boltace + Maiming Strike + Primed Reach says Hi.

Attica + Maiming strike + Primed reach Says Hi.

The Gunblades say Hi.

It would make sense for wukong to be able to do it because Wukong is built around the idea of the actual Sun Wukongs lore.  (loosely, yes)  It wouldn't be any more imbalanced then we already have from the warframes I've named above in a previous post to give it at least twice the range it has now.