Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's been a while, how do you feel about Nidus now?

Smilomaniac

I started my day off with a corpus survival alert on the Jupiter tile set and brought Nidus since he's my go-to survival frame.

I'd honestly forgotten that he was adjusted, so I was momentarily surprised when I noticed I had no stacks at all. Sure enough, I'd use virulence every so often and my stacks would inevitably drain as it's a tight quarters tile set and nullifiers would come 2-3 at a time, with my quickest option of dispatching them being a Galatine slide attack.

I have to say, the drain is pretty significant and I never achieved more than a couple of stacks before the mission was done. Basically this means I'm done bringing him on Corpus missions and if I have to do alerts, invasions or sorties against Corpus that I just want to be done and over with, I'll just bring the mirage/simulor combo, because it's convenient. I'm not saying Nidus has been nerfed to the ground at all, but I am saying that nullifiers are still one hell of a downer in gameplay and this is just another point on the long list of things wrong with nullifiers in general.

Apart from that, I feel he's been fine. I'm still annoyed that if you happen to die before getting 15 stacks (10 earlier), you still lose them all without the benefit of his passive, which in my opinion is a terrible choice, but since he shines at long survivals it's not the biggest deal in the world.
Apart from the two things (stacks and drain) I don't notice anything else, but I don't remember if there were other changes.

Anyone else have similar or different experiences?

I only recently returned to warframe about a week or so ago. Spent a bunch of plat because I'm lazy and bought Nidus package. I maxed him to 30, and shelved him. However, my experience was largely positive. A little CC, massively scaling damage, very nice aoe healing, and some other ability that I didn't have the patience to learn. I think I enjoyed my Helminth pet more than I enjoyed the warframe itself.

TL;DR: Meh frame imo, but INSANE-O endgame dmg. 

To be honest, i like Nidus, he's just not really that fun to play. He is REALLY strong in long survivals, though. (But not quite Wukong Immortal ;D) Also that virus thing needs removing. Kinda sick of the pink crap on my warframes.

Edited by damnfish20

I think he actually needed a bit of nerf - and now he still is the king of endless and complete killing mashine if you somewhat know what to do with him. Giving him some fear of nullies and especially the the 4 maggots change was needed.- I mean, the stacks actually farmed themselves, literally,  before the patching.

4 minutes ago, RainbowFlash said:

I think he actually needed a bit of nerf - and now he still is the king of endless and complete killing mashine if you somewhat know what to do with him. Giving him some fear of nullies and especially the the 4 maggots change was needed.- I mean, the stacks actually farmed themselves, literally,  before the patching.

Ahh that was one of the other changes too, wasn't it, maggots getting unintentionally too many stacks for you?

I don't really notice the difference in that now though. Maybe because I run with a high efficiency build for easy spamming.

edit; I don't really agree on him needing a nerf though. I have several sets of weapons that kill just as easily and he's not particularly powerful early on in missions anyway.

Edited by Smilomaniac

Same issues I had with him when I got him... he doesn't work well with others and like many other frames isn't really suited to corpus after his loss of stacks from nullifiers (although I do like the 'damage over time' approach for the nullifiers and wish they would do that for other things like frost globe and rhino iron skin too).   His nerf to his 4 basically made it almost pointless to use imo unless you wanted health as it was quicker to just carry on with 2 followed by 1 as the boost from maggots is compensated by the saving of 3 stacks...

From the start I found that abilities like wof basically prevented me from getting stacks so on higher normal game levels I could basically go the entire mission without getting any stacks.... so all the benefit of having stacks to boost stats etc went out the window.  Not to mention getting to the increased 15 stacks for revival...There's been a couple of ideas about fixing how he gets his stacks, one is similar to how the syndicate weapons work where it's based on total kills (increasing the required stacks accordingly) or even just simply allowing stacks to come from anything killed in the grasp of his 2, so if wof kills the stack or if I or another player uses a melee on it nidus still gets his stacks. 

His stacks go down far too quickly in the nullifiers imo too and I've started to feel in some missions that either his base stats need a buff or his current ones are bugged because he seems to take damage quicker than other frames...

Edited by LSG501

Too much reliance on virulence to get stacks. Some more weapon synergy would be nice. Only Ravenous seems to have any weapon synergy by detonating the maggots. That and larva. Setting up a ball of enemies for my teammates to shoot at feels like a waste when it shouldn't. Parasitic link feels fine, though the weird tether is weird. And even though it can magnify virulence, it's difficult to see in all the obscuring power spam.

Otherwise it's a really well designed survival frame. Though defense I would still bring a friend for. 

Has console gotten the Nidus nerfs yet?

I stopped playing him after a week.  He has one problem in my opinion that make him dull to play: his powers discourage weapon use.

On short missions, mobile missions or easy missions with teammates, it's hard to build up stacks which means his abilities don't get used and I end up using weapons with which he has no interaction or synergy.  On longer, more difficult, or static missions where he excels, I spend the first few minutes building up stacks, spamming the same ability over and over.  Using a weapon at all is counterproductive because it kills the enemies I need to hit.  Once I have a good stack count, his abilities are so good that I don't need to use weapons.

27 minutes ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

He's fun, but the nullies impact him in a stupid way, they should also drain energy if they are gonna drain stacks.

Draining energy would cripple him and there's already units in the game that do this. The only other alternative is immediately dispelling his Ravenous placement which is a big hell no from me. Nullies are getting a rework soon so there's no need to worry about them.

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ThermalStone said:

Has console gotten the Nidus nerfs yet?

Yeah pretty sure I seen 15 stacks go down when he dies. And it clearly says to use virulence to detonate maggots.

Edited by (PS4)Tactless_Ninja

I personally still thoroughly enjoy using Nidus and think that he's pretty much fine the way he is.  As others have said, he excels in long missions, though I do also like to use him on missions that spawn lots of enemies quickly, like Mobile Defense.  I generally don't have many issues building stacks, though with things like ember / saryn, it does take a bit longer to do - only time i've ever not been able to gain enough stacks is on missions that are finished quickly (in which stack buliding was generally not even needed to begin with).  The Undying passive needing 15 stacks instead of 10 is a reasonable amount, enough not to make it too easy, but enough that you can easily (and quickly) lose a ton of stacks if you screw up.  I do not typically bring him on higher level corpus missions though for several reasons :  It's not entirely the losing stacks in Nullifier bubbles thing (which i think is actually done at a reasonable rate) but more so not having reliable victims to use parasitic link on.  Most corpus enemies can hit like trucks in higher levels, but can't take a lot of punishment and often die from the transferred damage well before the duration of the link expires, which means I'm constantly searching for new link targets and can lead to some sticky situations with it randomly going down, especially with nullifiers / scrambus / combas running around.  For high lvl corpus, i usually just opt to bring a different frame - which is fine. Different tool for a different task.  Aside from that, he works exceedingly well against grineer, infested, and to a lesser extent orokin, provided you have weapons / teammates that can easily dispatch the nullifiers before they get to you / your link target.

Edit: I should add that I rarely play on Public, and generally play either solo or with friends, which we usually communicate and set up a squad with frames that can work well with one another for serious runs.  I can see where people might run into issues with Nidus if they play on public / random squads tho.

Edited by Sin1989

1 hour ago, Smilomaniac said:

Ahh that was one of the other changes too, wasn't it, maggots getting unintentionally too many stacks for you?

I don't really notice the difference in that now though. Maybe because I run with a high efficiency build for easy spamming.

edit; I don't really agree on him needing a nerf though. I have several sets of weapons that kill just as easily and he's not particularly powerful early on in missions anyway.

Well, I think the self-ress was needed, as well as some effect from nullifiers, the 4th change was not needed as far as I am concerned, you can still get as many stacks from 4, just have to physically intervene to get them, which is more busywork than anything. What I'm mostly saying is that the nerf wasn't this usual "Nerfhammer that shatters all" but actually a change that's still okay.

48 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Draining energy would cripple him and there's already units in the game that do this. The only other alternative is immediately dispelling his Ravenous placement which is a big hell no from me. Nullies are getting a rework soon so there's no need to worry about them.

Yeah pretty sure I seen 15 stacks go down when he dies. And it clearly says to use virulence to detonate maggots.

No, I mean from Every frame.  If a nullifier has a drain function on one frame, why not all of them?

10 minutes ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

No, I mean from Every frame.  If a nullifier has a drain function on one frame, why not all of them?

It specifically applies to his abilities though just like every other frame. And it's much more damaging on other frames like Equinox or Rhino that need their buffs in high end content. And again there's already a unit that does that, energy leeches. It'd be overkill.

He's still fantastic. He's as close as you can get to unkillable in this game who isn't named Inaros, Valkyr or Nyx. I personally find him immensely fun to play. Compared to someone like a Chroma who you have to go like a minute between each cast, Nidus makes you cast frequently due to his 1 and 2.

I was struggling to find a go-to frame (mostly because Inaros has his weaknesses and I find Nyx a bit boring to play), but he is it.

1 hour ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

Because everybody else loses their buffs entirely when the enter a Nullifier bubble. Nidus is still getting it easy compared to most 'frames when it comes to Nullifiers.

2 minutes ago, Littlerift said:

Because everybody else loses their buffs entirely when the enter a Nullifier bubble. Nidus is still getting it easy compared to most 'frames when it comes to Nullifiers.

Surely you can see the difference between say, Rhino losing Iron skin on contact with a nullie and Nidus losing 100 stacks when touching the bubble.