Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's been a while, how do you feel about Nidus now?

Smilomaniac

There are a few possible improvements: some enemies not getting correctly pulled in by Larva. Virulence "refusing" to be cast because it is apparently "in use" even though I wasn't using it at all in the last second. Or even just the fact that you have to wait like a second to recast it, despite it having a really fast animation and no duration. He's too weak and vulnerable at the beginning of high level missions. I'd rather have him scale slightly less, or even need more stacks to reach full power if it meant he still has a fighting chance under 20 stacks. Because there's literaly no reason to go over like 40 stacks, unless you plan on dying a bunch. I also find it really frustrating when I catch a bunch of enemies with Larva, only to see them get killed by some other jerk with an AOE weapon or ability. So I'd say Nidus should get stacks for enemies killed when caught with Larva, no matter what killed them. Could also be nice to gain some stacks from ally kills when linked with Parasitic Link. Anyway, great frame, few issues with it, but overall very strong and adaptable.

2 hours ago, Littlerift said:

Nidus has the innate survivability needed to endure inside a Nullifier bubble though, whereas many other 'frames such as Mesa, Loki, Nezha, and Ivara can be almost instantly killed if they accidentally enter a bubble.

Mesa, Loki, Nezha, and Ivara aren't tanks. Their strengths either lie with dealing with the enemy indirectly or at range. If you're going gung-ho into nullie bubbles and dying, that's on you.

Inaros, a similar frame to Nidus actually gets healed when his ult deactivates in a nullie bubble. Valkyr has zero negative effects running into a bubble. Also where those frames lose all their energy, they can just drop an item to regain it all. Nidus loses two abilities till he builds it up again. Also at very high levels he either has to constantly be within Ravenous to benefit from the added regeneration and cc, or parasite linked to the tankiest enemy he can find. Otherwise the various damage procs will do him in. But that all relies on how low his stacks get, so really the stacks are key to his survivability.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Mesa, Loki, Nezha, and Ivara aren't tanks. Their strengths either lie with dealing with the enemy indirectly or at range. If you're going gung-ho into nullie bubbles and dying, that's on you.

Inaros, a similar frame to Nidus actually gets healed when his ult deactivates in a nullie bubble. Valkyr has zero negative effects running into a bubble. Also where those frames lose all their energy, they can just drop an item to regain it all. Nidus loses two abilities till he builds it up again. Also at very high levels he either has to constantly be within Ravenous to benefit from the added regeneration and cc, or parasite linked to the tankiest enemy he can find. Otherwise the various damage procs will do him in. But that all relies on how low his stacks get, so really the stacks are key to his survivability.

There are few situations when any 'frame has to enter a Nullifier bubble, including Nidus. But you're missing the point - it's not about whether you have to enter a Nullifier bubble, it's about the results of doing so. Although, Nezha is certainly a tank.

Valkyr loses Hysteria and War Cry, her two useful abilities, when entering a Nullifier bubble and thus pays in energy efficiency, and the fact that Nidus can't regain stacks by using an item is utterly irrelevant in real terms: Nidus never runs out of stacks unless you're afk, and so he doesn't lose his ability to cast in anywhere near the same way that other Warframes can. Every Warframe is killed off quickly at higher levels when they're not using their abilities too, so saying that he has to use his abilities to survive isn't a counterpoint, and in fact it helps my argument because Nidus finds himself in a situation where he can't cast his protective abilities far less often than any other Warframe. Of course stacks are key to his survivability, but abilities are key to every 'frames survivability, and almost all other Warframes pay a heavy energy efficiency cost if they enter a Nullifier bubble because they either lose accumulated buffs (Chroma and Equinox), or lose duration/points on their abilities and thus lose energy efficiency directly (such as Mesa, Nezha, Rhino, and Mirage.)

Add to that the fact that it's far easier for Nidus to regain stacks than it is for most other Warframes to regain energy (outside of using Energy restores which have an out-of-combat resource cost, or Zenurik which, if proposed as a solution, limits player options) and it's clear that Nidus' energy efficiency is far higher than anybody else. Now I'd be fine that this is the case if energy efficiency was something that Nidus was designed to excel at, but in truth he excels in almost every field - he's very tanky, he has good damage and great CC, and he even has abilities that are just straight up upgrades over abilities on older Warframe (Link and Parasitic Link). He's a jack of all trades and a master of most, which would be perfectly fine if half of the 'frames in the game were actually stronger in areas that they're meant to excel at when compared to Nidus, but for the most part that's not the case.

Edit: Note that I don't particularly mind if DE choose not to rebalance Nidus again, I just wish people would stop pretending that he's perfectly in-line with the balance of other 'frames and that he is unduly and unfairly hurt by Nullifiers.

Edited by Littlerift

2 hours ago, Littlerift said:

There are few situations when any 'frame has to enter a Nullifier bubble, including Nidus. But you're missing the point - it's not about whether you have to enter a Nullifier bubble, it's about the results of doing so. Although, Nezha is certainly a tank.

Valkyr loses Hysteria and War Cry, her two useful abilities, when entering a Nullifier bubble and thus pays in energy efficiency, and the fact that Nidus can't regain stacks by using an item is utterly irrelevant in real terms: Nidus never runs out of stacks unless you're afk, and so he doesn't lose his ability to cast in anywhere near the same way that other Warframes can. Every Warframe is killed off quickly at higher levels when they're not using their abilities too, so saying that he has to use his abilities to survive isn't a counterpoint, and in fact it helps my argument because Nidus finds himself in a situation where he can't cast his protective abilities far less often than any other Warframe. Of course stacks are key to his survivability, but abilities are key to every 'frames survivability, and almost all other Warframes pay a heavy energy efficiency cost if they enter a Nullifier bubble because they either lose accumulated buffs (Chroma and Equinox), or lose duration/points on their abilities and thus lose energy efficiency directly (such as Mesa, Nezha, Rhino, and Mirage.)

Add to that the fact that it's far easier for Nidus to regain stacks than it is for most other Warframes to regain energy (outside of using Energy restores which have an out-of-combat resource cost, or Zenurik which, if proposed as a solution, limits player options) and it's clear that Nidus' energy efficiency is far higher than anybody else. Now I'd be fine that this is the case if energy efficiency was something that Nidus was designed to excel at, but in truth he excels in almost every field - he's very tanky, he has good damage and great CC, and he even has abilities that are just straight up upgrades over abilities on older Warframe (Link and Parasitic Link). He's a jack of all trades and a master of most, which would be perfectly fine if half of the 'frames in the game were actually stronger in areas that they're meant to excel at when compared to Nidus, but for the most part that's not the case.

Edit: Note that I don't particularly mind if DE choose not to rebalance Nidus again, I just wish people would stop pretending that he's perfectly in-line with the balance of other 'frames and that he is unduly and unfairly hurt by Nullifiers.

nezha isnt a tank. hes as much of a tank as zephyr.

valkyr can use warcry augment to have ridicilously long times on her warcry buff. shes not really all that hurt by it, and hysteria is a channeled ability. you lose next to nothing in terms of energy. its not irrelevant that nidus cant use an item to make up for losses, because you WILL run out of stacks very quickly if what you suggested were to be implemented(10/20 stacks loss, which is ridicilous). it doesnt help your argument that nidus needs his abilities to survive cus as you said, ALL frames need their abilities to survive and nidus doesnt find him in any less situations than any other frame. he still cant cast abilities in the bubble, and unlike other frames he loses that key thing AND access to his abilities. i do think drain on the stacks are fair enough as it is, but they dont need to be 10/20 stacks, thats just really ridicilous.

ev trin exists. if youre going to a high lvl endless mission without an ev, then you have bigger issues than nidus not having enough punishment from nullifiers. comparing singular abilities on different frames are irrelevant as well, since i can easily compare bless and ravenous and call ravenous useless. hes not very tanky, hes nothing compared to tankiness of inaros, who also has better cc and has superior damage with covert lethality and can heal teammates much more conveniently AND loses nothing from nullifiers. chroma is also tankier than he is, valkyr literally becomes invulnerable. trin is tankier than he is with link. you said nullifiers are well enough so them needing abilities is a moot point, every frame including nidus needs abilities to be remotely durable except inaros. your tankiness from base stats as nidus wont save you, you NEED that parasitic link if you want to have a chance at surviving a lvl 100 bombard hit.

he's fine where he is now, he doesnt need any buffs or nerfs. nullifier hurts him just like they hurt other frames.

Edited by Zeclem

19 hours ago, Littlerift said:

Nezha isn't a tank, he's more of a jet. His Warding Halo is a buffer for avoiding procs, and most of his kit isn't meant for standing in one place either. Valkyr should be using Hysteria in bursts, and War Cry is instantly re-castable. Chroma has the benefit of being able to rebuild his own defenses with self-damage and has to anyways since it's on a timer. Equinox does suffer the most in terms of losing buffs, but she also has an instant shut-down button on her night form.

You keep bringing up energy costs. Nidus lives and dies based on whether he can cast virulence or ravenous to regain stacks. A single bad cast can wipe out his entire energy reserves. And efficiency doesn't benefit him like it does other frames. Again every other warframe can recast their best ability instantly. Nidus needs energy and his reserve of stacks as a buffer for regaining that energy through health damage. Simply nerfing his stacks won't fix his scaling. It's like giving the Tonkor self-damage.

Nidus isn't a jack-of-all trades. He's piss awful at defense despite larva and maggots. I once had an all Nidus Hieracon run and the extractor got destroyed on the first round. That's embarrassing. Also Trinity's link works on multiple enemies automatically. How is this a direct upgrade?

But besides that I think we're missing the real reason Nidus works so well on high level content. Because enemies won't die. A single ball of enemies can be exploited repeatedly for tons of stacks and won't be 'stolen' by teammates since weapon damage falls off so badly. So how do you balance around that? 

Edited by (PS4)Tactless_Ninja

farmed his parts, maxed him, he's shelved with vauban (prime), mirage and limbo at the bottom of my most played list.

Personally, I kinda don't like his power spammy playstyle. Maybe it's just me, but when I see a high kill count, followed by either a high melee kill count or a high powers used, that tends to indicate to me cheap gameplay. It's very easy for an MR 4 to put a few cheap mods into a warframe/melee and then kill level 50 content- I would know given I've done that at MR 4 myself.

I'm not discounting him for being a strong warframe or a "fun" one (fun's subjective and if others are having fun with him, then they are free to enjoy him). He just doesn't fit my own personal playstyle of warframes with neat weapon synergy.

Also his 1 just feels clunky at times because of how you can only re-cast when the projectile dissipates. A similar clunkiness exists with Oberon's hallowed ground (if you don't use natural talent).

Personally, I find Nidus wrong. Just wrong. From a gameplay perspective that is.

Now, the whole idea of stacks, scaling and stuff is quite nice, sure, but it is come out being overdone.

Thing is, playing Nidus you either end up stomping like crazy to be able to utilize his kit to full extent, or you don't have a reason to play as him at all. Well, I guess he still can bring people together with his 2, but that's it. And there's alternatives for that too, like Vauban, for example.

So with Nidus it's either stopmp like there's no tomorrow, or have nigh useless frame on your hands.

And though hugging and stomping undeniably can be fun sometimes, here's where my problem lies:

Despite the game is being called "Warframe", warframes are only but a half of the core game expirience. The other half being weapons. Personally, I prefer frames that augment my gunplay and swordplay experience, and Nidus with his stomp-or-nothing paradigm opposes the use of weapons altoghether. And that is why I find him wrong. He's just straight up incompatible with the half of the core game expirience.

So, by the end of day, being all anti-weapon as he is, Nidus became my go-to frame for the situations where I don't want to use the weapon in the first place. Like Bow Only Defence galore we've had over the past couple of weeks.

Edited by WindigoTP

Nidus is pretty great, though he does require an ounce of skill in order to get those stacks. he's like an old motorbike: needs a few kicks to get started, but once he's going, he's going good! he can Oberon better than Oberon can, he makes Hydroid's Tentacles look puny, and he's very hard to kill.

regarding nullifiers, the stacks drain isn't that bad, and I know many people say "why can't other frames just gradually lose their powers, rather than losing it all at once?". personally I think removing Nullies altogether would solve all the problems, we have better enemies to encourage tactical gameplay now, and more than half of the Warframes have been nerfed several times since Nullies were first introduced. let's just get rid.

After they made his Ravenous not heal extractors, I lost all interest in him. I was excited for a legitimate option for something other than Frost for solo Heiracon for more than a couple extractors, but Officer DE of the Fun Police jumped right on that, and saved us from that non-problem.

17 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Wait 7 days for zit maturation (a hair growth) Enter the infested room and the chair will pop your zit and immunize your frame.

I can't comment on Nidus yet.  I've gotten 4-5 systems and still no neuroptics.

Oh, I know how to get rid of it. It's just gross, and it's something I didn't have a choice about - you end up on a team with a Nidus, you pretty much guaranteed to get the cyst.

at least it can be permanently removed

Just got him to level 30 after some time of farming him. I was also on vacations so I didn't play him right away. Now that I have a handle on him I'm already seeing him as a solo frame for long runs in endless. That being said I have a deep pool of those kid of frames already that are much more enjoyable at least for me to use.

In the end he is just more MR fodder in my situation. Sure he will get used on occasion but not as much as one would think. It was a fun little new concept with the stacks but  Its wore off all its shiny newness.

He's fun. But he's very niche.

You want to run an endless with him and you want it to go far. You also don't want other people killing the enemies before you get a chance to build mutation stacks off them.

So, for public play, not exactly the best.

But yeah, spam that first like it's a Soma and you can be god like.

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

20 hours ago, Stratego89 said:

"This thing is overpowered" is not an excuse for something else to not be. It just means both things need to be changed to balance them. Excuses do not create progress, they create stagnation, decay, and problems.

In principle you're right, it's like saying "I have it bad, so you should too" which doesn't make sense or help the situation at all.

In practice, you're flat out wrong, because you're valuing balance as an ideal over gameplay; Completely balanced gameplay is horrible, it literally makes your decisions pointless because no matter what you do will end up with the same result.

Nerfing things down to have the same output in all situations would in fact be the counterproductive choice. The thing is though, that people are so used to getting their way and tout "balance" as some sort of perfect end goal, that it undermines the very foundation of the game; To have fun.
What you quoted was a reponse to someone saying that Nidus is a killing machine and a "king of endless" (and therefore deserved a nerf) - My point is that weapons already trivialize most content, so Nidus isn't outpacing what you already have between your hands. Anyone who's spent some time with the game knows that crowd control is far more important than damage output and in reality, Nidus actually doesn't stand out at all. My stomp Rhino would be far more practical to bring along.

3 hours ago, Smilomaniac said:

In principle you're right, it's like saying "I have it bad, so you should too" which doesn't make sense or help the situation at all.

In practice, you're flat out wrong, because you're valuing balance as an ideal over gameplay; Completely balanced gameplay is horrible, it literally makes your decisions pointless because no matter what you do will end up with the same result.

Nerfing things down to have the same output in all situations would in fact be the counterproductive choice. The thing is though, that people are so used to getting their way and tout "balance" as some sort of perfect end goal, that it undermines the very foundation of the game; To have fun.
What you quoted was a reponse to someone saying that Nidus is a killing machine and a "king of endless" (and therefore deserved a nerf) - My point is that weapons already trivialize most content, so Nidus isn't outpacing what you already have between your hands. Anyone who's spent some time with the game knows that crowd control is far more important than damage output and in reality, Nidus actually doesn't stand out at all. My stomp Rhino would be far more practical to bring along.

Ok then, I want you to tell me...

What exactly is the difference between: a game where every weapon (applies to frames too) performs at the same level, but functions differently (eg explosive grenades vs an assault rifle vs a laser beam of death; and a game where one weapon is so much more powerful than everything else there is no point in using anything else, so EVERYONE uses that one single weapon?

The answer is simple: in the first game, there's actually choices and variety; and in the latter- there's no real options, and "everything" (that gets used) TRULY feels the same.

Balancing a game is NOT the same as taking away all variety like you are trying to make it out to be. You're twisting the goal of balance from making EVERYTHING fun to making NOTHING fun to demonize people who want it by using some diluted form of logic that operates on the assumption that that is the ONLY way everything can perform equally- which fun fact, it is not.

You don't want fun. You want something OP that lets you have fun your way and your way alone (and that's a generous possibility, when the more probable answer is you just want to be able to put in minimal interaction with the game as if you don't enjoy it instead of not playing it).

You know what isn't fun for me, and a LARGE amount of this community? Loading into a PUG game, seeing a certain weapon or frame, and knowing you will hardly be able to do ANYTHING that mission no matter how hard you try because that certain weapon or frame is so heinously overpowered that it makes the entire team completely pointless to have with you. THAT is not fun. THAT is the problem with overpowered gear in any multiplayer game, whether it's co-op or pvp.

And don't you DARE say "play solo". This game is designed and INTENDED as a multiplayer game by the developers. We are supposed to WANT to play together, not dread doing so.

People like me who want balance are sick and tired of people trying to demonize us and make our goal sound like some atrocious attack against the community and fun. We don't want to take away others fun- we want EVERYONE to be able to have it. You guys do not want that, you guys don't care about ANYONE but yourselves, and will attack us if we want to have fun. There's a word for that, and it's called hypocrisy.

Edited by Stratego89
Added quotes and clarification somewhere.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:10 PM, Littlerift said:

Because everybody else loses their buffs entirely when the enter a Nullifier bubble. Nidus is still getting it easy compared to most 'frames when it comes to Nullifiers.

Ummm easy? It's incredibly easy to recast their abilities once out of the bubble... nowhere near as easy to gain all stacks back... so what's your point?

Whoa there, calm down :D

14 hours ago, Stratego89 said:

Ok then, I want you to tell me...

What exactly is the difference between: a game where every weapon (applies to frames too) performs at the same level, but functions differently (eg explosive grenades vs an assault rifle vs a laser beam of death; and a game where one weapon is so much more powerful than everything else there is no point in using anything else, so EVERYONE uses that one single weapon?

The answer is simple: in the first game, there's actually choices and variety; and in the latter- there's no real options, and "everything" (that gets used) TRULY feels the same.

That's not quite how it works, because the difference in output between weapons aren't so great that you don't have options or that everything else isn't viable, but there are options and nearly everything is viable to use, which is why people make 8 forma MK1 Bratons that they bring into sorties. As long as you mod weapons right, it's all good enough. If you're like me and want certain missions to be over with (for whatever reason) then there's also an easy option, which is a great thing.

If a player feels pressured into equipping the Soma, Akstiletto and Galatine primes for all missions, then the problem is with them. Sure, most will use the most powerful weapons they can get because it's a simple solution to a complicated game, that's just how it is.
When there's a more powerful option, it doesn't mean you're limited to only that option, that's nonsense.

Balancing a game is NOT the same as taking away all variety like you are trying to make it out to be. You're twisting the goal of balance from making EVERYTHING fun to making NOTHING fun to demonize people who want it by using some diluted form of logic that operates on the assumption that that is the ONLY way everything can perform equally- which fun fact, it is not.

Balance in the way I'm describing it, in the way that people mindlessly tout it, is exactly what I already explained; Making everything equal. You see it as all weapons being fun to use and not being pressured into using something better. If all weapons perform equally, then for me there's no point to ever get anything new - As soon as I find one that suits my playstyle, then why would I ever get a different one? Why waste time and effort on formas or catalysts? Why bother playing the game when your output is always the same?
That severely limits the replayability value of the game, which already suffers from being extremely repetative.

Have you watched TacticalPotato's or h3sh0t's videos? They'll review any and all weapons that come out and they'll often tell you whether it's worth getting them. They only discourage you from getting those weapons if they aren't fun to use or if they're trash tier weapons that are near useless. If a weapon is mediocre, but has a good feel to it, then they're all for it, because it's a new way to play the game and to fight enemies. Hell, even if the weapon is bad but still fun, they're still all for it.

My favourite thing to do when playing with friends is to use my randomize loadout, where I get a random warframe and a random bunch of non-forma non-potato'd weapons that I just have to make due with. I haven't had a single setup that didn't work in some way, despite the much greater challenge. Even if it does turn out to be a bad setup all the way through, I still have friends to rely on (who already accepted the fact that it might happen).

You don't want fun. You want something OP that lets you have fun your way and your way alone (and that's a generous possibility, when the more probable answer is you just want to be able to put in minimal interaction with the game as if you don't enjoy it instead of not playing it).

Sometimes I do, yeah. I hate fighting against corpus because they're over designed and loaded with bad mechanics, so when I can't avoid them, I'll bring a powerful setup to just breeze through it to get what I want and move on with my life to what I actually think is fun. If I'm playing with friends, then it's less of an issue because I'm enjoying the company and not just grinding solo or in a pug.

Putting minimum effort into the game in situations where there's no inherent joy in playing it? That's absolutely something I want. Don't like it? Well, too bad, but it's not an inherently bad thing or something that makes me a bad person. Also I did put effort into it, because I did the grind to get that MR, to get those weapons, to get those warframes and re-mastering them all to be as powerful as possible, so try not to overlook that.

You know what isn't fun for me, and a LARGE amount of this community? Loading into a PUG game, seeing a certain weapon or frame, and knowing you will hardly be able to do ANYTHING that mission no matter how hard you try because that certain weapon or frame is so heinously overpowered that it makes the entire team completely pointless to have with you. THAT is not fun. THAT is the problem with overpowered gear in any multiplayer game, whether it's co-op or pvp.

And don't you DARE say "play solo". This game is designed and INTENDED as a multiplayer game by the developers. We are supposed to WANT to play together, not dread doing so.

Play with friends or clan mates then. You don't get to decide what others do, just because it bothers you. Abort the mission, find a new pug; There, you have several options and solutions to your problem, so use them.
I've come across this mentality almost everywhere in the geek world, in LARP'ing, tabletop or pen and paper roleplaying, there's always that one guy who insists that you have to play the game the way the "correct way". Tough, but I just move on with my life and do it how I want - If it bothers them, then it's their problem.

It's not like I don't understand their perspective or situation, I just don't agree or care at all.

People like me who want balance are sick and tired of people trying to demonize us and make our goal sound like some atrocious attack against the community and fun. We don't want to take away others fun- we want EVERYONE to be able to have it. You guys do not want that, you guys don't care about ANYONE but yourselves, and will attack us if we want to have fun. There's a word for that, and it's called hypocrisy.

Well take my response and then yours, which one is demonizing the other with capital, bold and italic lettering, throwing accusations and assumptions? :)

I actually don't want everyone to be able to join; There's a word for it and it's called "mainstream".
To summarize as simply as possible (and yes, it's oversimplifying it since we've already gone over the details), you're talking about making the game as simple and accessible as possible for everyone to be part of it and have fun within strict rules where no one can step out of line.
I'm talking about raising the quality of the game and if that happens at the expense of the lowest common denominator, then so much the better. Sure, it's not sympathetic or particularly neighbourly of me, but you have to accept that pleasing everyone is a futile goal and even attempting it has negative consequences.

I mean, look at what you're saying, you don't care what I think or how I want to play the game, but you want "everyone" included. Just not me, because I have the wrong opinion. That's actually hypocritical, because I don't particularly care if you have fun, if it comes at the expense of my experience. The difference is, I'm honest enough to admit it and I don't have a problem doing so :)
In a way you're right though, inclusivity is getting increasingly demonized, but you also have to realize that there are very valid arguments against mainstreaming.

Bottom line (and going back to what you originally quoted) is that the way things are, some weapons and frames are already overpowered and it's absolutely fine if more things are as well. It doesn't really change anything and certainly not because Nidus remains as powerful as he was at launch, in one mission type.
In my opinion we need a "rift" system that allows for higher scaling enemies, where you absolutely have to bring the best possible setup to win - That way you can have fun doing the usual stuff and enjoying the game with whatever weapons you want and I can still do that as well while also min-maxing my way through bigger challenges to get some other rewards, whether they're cosmetic or practical.
I'm sure some will be angry about being excluded from that part of the game because they don't want to put the effort into it, but then that's their problem.

He's still the god of endless mode. The DPS is crazy once you got the momentum going. You can't rely on a single power spamming and had to combine all of them to be effective. Basically, his gimmick is very rewarding if you play him well. You can get to ridiculous level and be virtually unkillable and never without the ability to use your powers, except inside a nullifier bubble, of course. He's very attention heavy though, much like playing as Zerg in Starcraft 2, as you have more things to keep an eye on than the average frame.

Even without building huge stacks, his 2 is still an awesome CC and his 3 is very useful. He's one of, if not *the* best designed frame in the game.