Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if Eximus are removed entirely?

DrBorris

Once upon a time (In a Devstream long forgotten), when Eximus were initially implemented, they were pitched as a test to see if common-spawn enemies with abilities would work.

Well, they work, now how about they get replaced with something more... developed. The concept for Eximus gameplay-wise is simple, a low level mini-boss that is in the common spawn with all other enemies. And while having them be RNG versions of their regular counterparts with buffs theoretically increases diversity, it ends up looking like a horde of reskins (because that is what they are).

So, obviously you wouldn't remove Eximus without replacing them, but where would we find enemies specifically made to fight with Tenno on a one-to-one level that have special mechanics while being, at their core, descendants from a regular enemy, and are able to be spawned in continually?

Hmmm....

I am not sure if I made that easy enough to point to where I am going, so if not... Rathuum and Index enemies. These guys are literally the realized version of Eximus, and they are already working in game.

So the proposal is simple. First make the Ratuum enemies a wee bit larger in scale so they stand out more amongst their trash brethren. Then make Grineer and Corpus Eximus go bye-bye, replace their spawns with these tall Rathuum and Index enemies and ta-da, challenging mini-boss enemies in the common spawn to shake up combat. Infested could stay as they are for now, and maybe having Infested "elite" be RNG reskins of regular enemies makes more sense for the faction (more polish is needed though). The weak-spot system proposed in the Devstream would work for a starting point (but rather than immunity, 90% DR would be nice), but some of the auras need some tweaking (specifically looking at energy drain and unavoidable toxin AoE).

Do I think this will happen? Nope, we have had Eximus for so long now that it is hard to imagine them going away completely, but it would be a change for the better IMO.

Edited by DrBorris

To be quite honest, I would not mind at all if they removed Eximus units completely and didn't replace them. Actually, I would applaud DE if they removed eximus units from the game entirely without replacing them. I've never found Eximus units to be fun, and I never will. Making them invincible just means I'll avoid them as much as I can. I certainly will continue to avoid Infested tilesets altogether.

I'm genuinely concerned that DE might screw up and make the new Eximus units too tough. don't get me wrong, I love a good fight in between carving up trash mobs, those Hyenas during Proxy Rebellions were a welcome breath of fresh air, but remember that in an Eximus Stronghold Sortie, nearly EVERY enemy is an Eximus, so if every enemy has invincibility unless hit in certain areas, it's going to get pretty chaotic. I think they should look at the spawn rates, and if they turn out to be super tough, reduce the rate so that they are like Bursas, in that they are special units deployed against only the most stubborn of intruders, when a fight needs to be turned around.

if they aren't that tough, keep the spawn rate as is for regular missions, but reduce it slightly for the Sorties with the Eximus modifier. I want Eximus units to be worth the effort, but I'm not entirely sure that limited weak points are the way to go. I hope Corpus and Grineer units get their own mechanics, like they said.

just my 2 cents.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I'm genuinely concerned that DE might screw up and make the new Eximus units too tough. don't get me wrong, I love a good fight in between carving up trash mobs, those Hyenas during Proxy Rebellions were a welcome breath of fresh air, but remember that in an Eximus Stronghold Sortie, nearly EVERY enemy is an Eximus, so if every enemy has invincibility unless hit in certain areas, it's going to get pretty chaotic. I think they should look at the spawn rates, and if they turn out to be super tough, reduce the rate so that they are like Bursas, in that they are special units deployed against only the most stubborn of intruders, when a fight needs to be turned around.

if they aren't that tough, keep the spawn rate as is for regular missions, but reduce it slightly for the Sorties with the Eximus modifier. I want Eximus units to be worth the effort, but I'm not entirely sure that limited weak points are the way to go. I hope Corpus and Grineer units get their own mechanics, like they said.

just my 2 cents.

I have to agree man.

I wouldn't mind if they got those tumors on their body that we had to destroy, much like those tumor nodes in Infested Sabotage missions. I'd prefer it if they were on specific parts of the Infested Eximus' body, yet they only get one. So, Chargers could have a large one on their back (so you have to shoot them from above), Ancients could have a much smaller one on their shoulder (to emphasize shooting their arms, which is their true weak spot), Runners could have it on their legs (to emphasize slowing them) and Crawlers could have it on the front of their face (no real other place to put it). That way, they still have an observable weakness and another level of difficulty, but the weakness is in one place that can be taken out rather quickly.

As to be honest, I don't want Energy Leech and Arson Eximi being even MORE of a pain in the buttocks.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Graysmog said:

I have to agree man.

I wouldn't mind if they got those tumors on their body that we had to destroy, much like those tumor nodes in Infested Sabotage missions. I'd prefer it if they were on specific parts of the Infested Eximus' body, yet they only get one. So, Chargers could have a large one on their back (so you have to shoot them from above), Ancients could have a much smaller one on their shoulder (to emphasize shooting their arms, which is their true weak spot), Runners could have it on their legs (to emphasize slowing them) and Crawlers could have it on the front of their face (no real other place to put it). That way, they still have an observable weakness, but the weakness is in one place that can be taken out rather quickly.

funnily enough, I envisioned the same; Tumour nodes as weak points, rather than having to create a new mesh and add it to every unit. it would look terribly reused if they did that... they should at least make the weak points look like they belong on there, not just a random tumour node slapped on a crawler's face, know what I mean?

Just now, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

funnily enough, I envisioned the same; Tumour nodes as weak points, rather than having to create a new mesh and add it to every unit. it would look terribly reused if they did that... they should at least make the weak points look like they belong on there, not just a random tumour node slapped on a crawler's face, know what I mean?

True, yet I was just thinking of adding those as a kind of simple "oh hey, I remember, you can destroy those" sort of deal. Otherwise, they'd have to be really apparent to let others know to destroy whatever the weak points are going to be.

4 hours ago, Momo93 said:

I think they look so out of place in this game. They came out of nowhere and have absolutely 0 lore.

That is really the kicker, it is one thing that they are pretty blanc when it comes to gameplay, but they don't even really make any sense either.

So, replace them with something that does make sense.

5 hours ago, Momo93 said:

-snip-

48 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

-snap-

Only piece of lore I could find on them, and they are not very convincing:

According to Digital Extremes[citation needed] , Eximi are the result of the following;

• Corpus Eximi Crewmen are members of the elite who are bestowed specially-designed suits, whereas MOA and Osprey Eximi are produced on a regular basis.
  • Grineer (barring Rollers) and Infested Eximi are the products of genetic mutation, though in the case of the Infested, the genes that contain said mutations are present in the DNA of all known Infested, suggesting that some form of gene expression regulation is in effect.
    • Although no explanation was given for Roller Eximus, it's likely they are produced much like MOA and Osprey Eximi.
  • Corrupted Eximi are simply corrupted versions of the above units.

Because genetic mutation allows you to sap energy, apparently.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Colloquial_Bloke said:

I would also like to see unique enemies in the void.  Some corrupted orokin machines to fight.  Giant sculptures with weapons or something along those lines.  Right now, the void just feels like every other level with white walls.

That's a very good point actually. Interesting too to think about since they even talked about during the Devstream earlier today how many early bosses was just an specific enemy scaled up in size or something lol. Same can be said to void in some ways (though at least there is a very good reason why regarding lore). Since now they're at the point where they don't need to do reskins or scaled up versions of enemies anymore, it would totally cool to see unique void enemies that aren't just one-shot traps.

I mean hell, just look at the treasure rooms in the void. Since the void is keen on traps, all you need is grab any room (like this one), walk into that room, step on a trap floor button, doors lock Legend of Zelda style, and bam those 2 to 4 sculptures on each corner of the wall [hypothetically speaking] come to life and you have to fight them or some kind of puzzle/objective to kill them.

I'm just spit-balling here, but knowing what DE can do (the optional bosses, puzzles and unique enemies on Lua being my favourite example) I'm more than sure they can come up with some fantastic ideas!

Edited by HalfDarkShadow