Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sheila the Shockwave MOA (Never Forget)

Tate_LeTerre

I have no idea if this is where this actually belongs. I'm guessing so, but I've been wrong in the past.

The first paragraph is backstory. Skip it if you want to get the the main event.

So I just did a mission on Jupiter for the Steel Meridian. An Exterminate, nothing too major. I spawn in and observe that one of the Meridian operatives seemed to have spawned out of bounds, but the other one follows me around for a little while. We get through a room or two, no big deal. Then I come across one of those hackable MOA cabinets, and think to myself that I'm always up for having more backup. I hack the thing and out pops a Shockwave MOA, as usual. The three of us (me, the MOA, and the Meridian operative) continue on, but a room or two later, I see that the operative is nowhere in sight. I know that they've accompanied me in all the elevators and whatnot, and their dot was still on the map, so I figured they'd just decided their work was done and took a nap.

Man, screw that. This MOA is my backup now. More loyal and motivated than either of the Meridian blokes anyway.

This MOA and I (whom I had at this point named "Sheila") blaze a path through the next several rooms. Sheila never left my side. She'd run in, I'd keep major enemies from shooting her, then she'd knock everyone down to get cleaned up by my Tigris. It was a beautiful synergy. But alas, I had not done a perfect job. As we're going down an elevator, I notice that she had sustained major damage. At best, she could only take a few more hits. Then, it happened.

A Sapping Osprey, bloodlust in its eyes and hatred in its circuits, threw down its ball of death. Sheila cluelessly ran in, and in one pulse, Sheila was no more.

At first, I had thought nothing of it. I shot back at the Osprey, cleared out the room, and resumed my usual post-room-clear insignia hunt. But as I search the rooms, raiding their contents, I begin to think. This MOA, who had no reason to trust me, followed me longer than any of my supposed "backup." In her short time with me, and without so much as a word, she had provided me with backup fire, consistent enemy knockdowns, and companionship. It had done its best to provide me with useful utility, and in return, I had done my best to protect it. But alas, I had failed. These Corpus, these unthinking, unfeeling machines had cold-bloodedly murdered the best friend I had at the time. I was not about to let this go unpunished.

Tigris in hand and tears in my eyes, I burst through the door, unloading my two shots into a trio of unsuspecting crewmen. Not wanting to take the time to reload, I swung my divine jet-powered hammer of heavenly retribution hammering things and within seconds, the remaining life on the outpost was no more. I had claimed revenge, and avenged Sheila.

But still, I felt an emptiness in my heart. No amount of rampaging could ever bring back my beloved Sheila. I resumed my insignia hunt in solitude, longing for the companionship that I once so erroneously took for granted.

But, in the extraction room, something miraculous happened. Another MOA cabinet was flashing! I immediately ran up to it, hacked it as fast as I could, and out came a Shockwave MOA. Ecstatic, I started heading for my awaiting ship. But alas, as I walked towards my chariot to the heavens, I was hit by a sudden realization. Sheila 2.0 would not be able to accompany me. I stood for a few seconds, paralyzed. I quickly knew what I had to do.

I turned back, facing Sheila 2.0. I knelt down, getting to eye level with her. Tears in my eyes, I told her that I had to go and would not be coming back. She turned her head curiously at me at first, but once she saw the pain in my face, she knew. She nodded and turned around, facing back towards the outpost. She made whatever the sound is MOAs make at me, telling me that she knew what she had to do. She would guard the outpost against any Corpus who try to retake it. I was so proud of her. For someone so young to take on such a burden! I gave her one final goodbye, and entered my ship, headed for the heavens beyond.

I never received word about what happened after I left. I would like to think Sheila 2.0 still guards that outpost.

Tenno, in your trips to Jupiter, if you ever see an outpost devoid of Corpus, inhabited solely by one friendly Shockwave MOA, be sure to give her my regards. And let her know that I'm still thinking of her.

tl;dr, I found a Shockwave MOA, it stuck with me longer than any of my syndicate operatives, I named it Sheila, it died, I began mentally writing it a eulogy, started tearing up IRL, #rekt the rest of that outpost, and found a new Sheila before the mission ended. Definitely one of my most memorable missions in a while.

56 minutes ago, VisionAndVoice said:

They have heads, so yes, they have eyes.

I legitimately never noticed that. Always thought they were just weapons attached to a featureless chassis with jet thrusters.

I guess turning them into scrap heaps by the dozens doesn't help adding to their personality.

*sniff* that was beautiful man! I'm not crying, it's just my allergies....

the MOAs are pretty decent backup, though none of mine ever seem to last longer than the first room. I hope we get a robot workshop of our own so that we can make our own proxy companions, then you can rebuild Sheila, and keep her by your side forever! even if she dies, she'd be back on your ship, waiting to greet you! and if I had my way, you'd be able to make hybrid Proxies, so Sheila could be given a Bursa chassis and turned into the ultimate death machine!

Rest In pepperonis

Sheila

2017-2017

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

*sniff* that was beautiful man! I'm not crying, it's just my allergies....

the MOAs are pretty decent backup, though none of mine ever seem to last longer than the first room. I hope we get a robot workshop of our own so that we can make our own proxy companions, then you can rebuild Sheila, and keep her by your side forever! even if she dies, she'd be back on your ship, waiting to greet you! and if I had my way, you'd be able to make hybrid Proxies, so Sheila could be given a Bursa chassis and turned into the ultimate death machine!

Rest In pepperonis

Sheila

2017-2017

Speak for yourself. I AM CRYIING D:

Considering that Ambulas is getting a new model...

We got Clem the heroic Lancer. Darvo the heroic Corpus merchant. John Prodman the anti-villain Prodman.

So how about this?

Once DE has put the new Ambulas model in the game, they can take the current one and make it a Corpus based counterpart to Clem which can then be given to the Perrin Sequence.

Considering the most logical reason why Perrin and Meridian are opposing each other (since in lore they would have very close goals) in the Syndicate rep system, is so both sides have a heroic traitor faction for balance reason, wouldn't it make sense for Perrin to have a great heroic traitor too for balance?

So an experimental Moa who developed the glitch that it desires to protect innocent people would fit right into Perrin's ranks.

Too childish?

9 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

Considering that Ambulas is getting a new model...

We got Clem the heroic Lancer. Darvo the heroic Corpus merchant. John Prodman the anti-villain Prodman.

So how about this?

Once DE has put the new Ambulas model in the game, they can take the current one and make it a Corpus based counterpart to Clem which can then be given to the Perrin Sequence.

Considering the most logical reason why Perrin and Meridian are opposing each other (since in lore they would have very close goals) in the Syndicate rep system, is so both sides have a heroic traitor faction for balance reason, wouldn't it make sense for Perrin to have a great heroic traitor too for balance?

So an experimental Moa who developed the glitch that it desires to protect innocent people would fit right into Perrin's ranks.

Too childish?

Take it further.  Proxies have slave-chips that make them obedient.

This moas chip is broken and it got to choose its master. Like the sentinels, it felt a kinship with the Tenno and the unbreakable bond was formed.

Take it 2 steps further and the moa have a AI personality and a voice.

42 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Take it further.  Proxies have slave-chips that make them obedient.

This moas chip is broken and it got to choose its master. Like the sentinels, it felt a kinship with the Tenno and the unbreakable bond was formed.

Take it 2 steps further and the moa have a AI personality and a voice.

Sheila? Sheila.

Sheila??

Sheila....

17 hours ago, Genesis7000 said:

Do you write fan fictions? If not, do it. I love this short story.

Nope. Thought about it, though. I would, just not sure what any topics could be. If I had an idea about what to write on, I could theoretically take it a long way. But alas, I have the creativity of the color green.

17 hours ago, Miser_able said:

Rip sheila. You should name your next pet in its ho

See, I already have another charger ready, but I am morally obligated as a microbiology student to name every charger I make after some deadly disease. I already have Marburg, thinking about naming this one Variola.

That said, once I end up getting another kavat, or if DE implements a MOA workshop like @(PS4)robotwars7 suggested, I'll be sure to make them a successor worthy of the name of Sheila.

11 hours ago, Othergrunty said:

Funny thing is, it wouldn't be the first time they've made an ally character out of old Ambulas assets. Darvo came from Arn Etina, who used to be Ambulas despite very clearly having a human shown in the transmission screens. Then DE changed it so it was clear the MOA was indeed a MOA, and the transmission icon was later reused and turned into Darvo.

And I do gotta admit, the current Ambulas does have a fancy model, and it'd be a shame for it to go to waste...

On 2/15/2017 at 1:58 AM, -Akeva-Banshee- said:

After a hard Valentines day this post brought a tear to my eye and gave me the warm felling inside that was missing. Thank you

Always glad to help. :D

In particular, though, it's nice for me to know that something did had a positive effect on someone. I won't go into details, but it's a nice change of pace for me. In other words, I appreciate your appreciation. If that makes any sense.

All y'all reading this, too. Seeing all these comments and views and likes and whatnot go a surprisingly long way. Y'all have my gratitude. :)