Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can a Mag Main Enlighten Me

(PSN)Akuma_Asura_

All of these people complaining that you only use one or two of her abilities must not play half of the frames in this game lol. Chroma is all about his 2nd and 3rd abilities with his 1st being useless and his 4th being all right, but you don't see people complaining about Chroma. Mag is awesome when paired with the right weapons and there is nothing wrong with building a loadout meant to maximize certain aspects of a frame. Mag is a great frame and one of my favorites to play. I particularly like using the Pox with her and I routinely bring her into sorties and endless missions. One thing though, she is squishy pretty much no matter what you do but if you move around and use her abilities correctly, you'll be fine.

7 hours ago, (PS4)dursereg said:

Hall way camper an that's it. She is a complete trash frame. You thank all the whiners for her nerfs.

She is insane at boss killing, and with investment she can still be Gmag. She is not complete trash just not the insta corpus killer

14 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Never said it was limited to Mag, but...context yo.  We're in a Mag thread and after 3 years of maining Mag, I think a decent portion of the forum community knows I'm a Mag fan. I know she's not the only one it works on, but she's the only one I'm interested in playing.  .-.

And again, I understand the basics, but I'd rather see it in action because I'm one of those people that have a difficult time translating written word into action.  I'm a kinetic learner.

Ahhhhh. I wasn't sure exactly what you were meaning at first. Seeing it visually in action is what you're needing. Cool. Just look me up in game some time and we can bounce around ideas and try out stuff. :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
correcting autocorrect

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

Ahhhhh. I wasn't sure exactly what you were meaning at first. Seeing it visually in action is what you're needing. Cool. Just look me up in game some time and we can bounce around ideas and try out stuff. :D

Shiny, I'll do that. ^.^

1 minute ago, AzureTerra said:

She should have been mine but i was lured by the lies of volt

...I have a couple full Mag Prime sets available

1 hour ago, SenorClipClop said:

First off, points to you Tenno, for not trashing and disregarding a Warframe just because they are unclear to you. I know far too many players that are dismissive like this. Mag is my most-played Warframe (initially my starter, left her alone for awhile, picked her back up after the rework and fell in love all over again), and I'm always happy to talk about her to those who are curious.

The big consideration with Mag is that her damage is potent, but pretty stationary. For this reason, I basically never take her on constantly moving missions like Exterminate and prefer to play her when I can hunker down, in missions like Survival, Interception, Defense etc. (Exception: Hijack, as Polarize will excuse the squad from needing to stop the payload to recharge shields.)  She functions as a "control mage", locking down and damaging specific zones on the map. When playing Mag, what I'm damaging is often surpassed in importance by where I'm directing my damage. My common plays revolve around tagging a target with 2 when they're in a good spot, then directing my damage and enemy damage into the bubble. I wait for the timer to hit zero, then ensure (with use of 1 and 4) as many enemies are in range as possible, then 2 explodes for massive damage. I use 3 as a support move for the squad, or as a proactive measure against a new wave when I have the blue stuff to spare.

One of Mag's biggest weaknesses is her high dependence on Energy: all her costs are fairly high, though there are some workarounds. In the early levels, killing things with Pull will net you back some Energy. In later levels when this is no longer viable, you can either A) stack on the energy regen tactics, or B) become more careful with power usage. If you're frugal, you almost never need to spam with Mag. (Though in Corpus Excavation Sorties, your squad might end up asking you to.) I personally never hit Polarize more than once in a while unless I'm feeling really bold. In crazy levels it's meant to weaken defenses, not strip them entirely. In regard to 2, it become very easy to tag too many things and wear down your energy without trapping many enemies. To solve this, I usually build for Duration and weaken enemies with the DoT effect (which scales upward on longer-timed bubbles). Also, I am very considerate about the sphere's location whenever I can be, and I rarely ever have more than two of them going at once. Often where is my most important decision when I play Mag, and good ability placement can save me a lot of energy.

My favorite thing about Mag is how versatile her build can be. I regularly change around my Duration and Range stats based on how tanky the enemies in a mission are and how big the rooms in a mission are, respectively. That and the playstyle I've grown accustomed to, always moving, hopping into, out of and around my Magnetize zones to ensure all kinds of CC and damage.

Mag is not fun for everyone, but some of us really dig how she works. If you don't dig Mag, no hard feelings. If you're into it though, I happily welcome you to a new "frame" of mind (sorry).

Thanks man, I'm gonna give her another shot. I just got frustrated on how to build/play her

16 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Oh yeah. Don't forget about that awesome Alata Tennogen skin for her. It's what caused me to play her more. Which I'm glad I did. She's in my top 3 frames list with Ivara and Titania.

I can't go into detail just how much I love the Alata.  I might get banned. :x

15 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Oh i have Mag P, just lamenting that i almost chose her but my love of lightning based classes steered me wrong

Ahh. ^.^

This is my general purpose Anti-corpus build. For Grineer I swap in fracturing crush.  I prefer the "Magnetic mine" version of magnetize. I think mine last like 2-3 seconds then explode. You just poor in fire and the explosion usually takes out everyone in the radius quickly. Also keep in mind that you can use crush when behind 100% cover from the guys your crushing. Like stand behind a pillar the then look in the direction you want to crush and use it. I can get something like 2400 shields with shield transference, and that can come from 0 shields if you git a big enough group of enemies.  Even with flat damage polarize can do good damage to bigger groups of corpus and grineer.

7 hours ago, Misgenesis said:

Magnetize one enemy, pull other enemies closer, polarize them and shoot the bubble a little. She destroys in the right hands.

^This, specially on Void missions when enemy spawns in packs.

7 hours ago, xXRampantXx said:

In addition to all that was said above, there is also this.

And this.

Also shield polarize augment, makes you kinda tanky (beware toxic ancients), so if cornered, you can just pull enemy, magnetize, polarize, pull more enemies and repeat. 

She is a very bad frame in nature, but really good and enjoyable once you experiment with her on mid+ levels.

Magnetize is obscenely powerful. Game-breakingly powerful, honestly. Max range and duration. Use a Lanka or Miter, and watch everything die.

Also you can spam Crush, just like any other high-AOE spell.

And for the record, Corrosion+Heat is better against Grineer than Gas+Electricity. Use Gas+Electricity against Corpus. Both of them are equally good against Infested.

Max efficiency is mandatory on Mag. She doesn't need to build very much strength; I use 40% and am quite happy with it.

Edited by nairaX

3 hours ago, nairaX said:

And for the record, Corrosion+Heat is better against Grineer than Gas+Electricity.

Is it really? Wouldn't bypassing the armor altogether be just as good. It's each players choice in the end and that's a whole different discussion for another topic. :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
grammar

23 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Is it really? Wouldn't bypassing the armor altogether be just as good. It's each players choice in the end and that's a whole different discussion for another topic. :D

I thought so too, but I tested it quite a few times. Corrosion strips off all their armor, then Heat does bonus damage to the flesh. Gas and electricity do less damage, so you're relying on just the toxin damage on the Gas procs. It's probably a closer comparison around level 80, but at level 100+ the difference becomes pretty large.

Gas+Electricity utterly obliterates non-Bursa Corpus enemies, though. It's definitely my favorite combination.

Edited by nairaX

3 minutes ago, nairaX said:

I thought so too, but I tested it quite a few times. Corrosion strips off all their armor, then Heat does bonus damage to the flesh. Gas and electricity do less damage, so you're relying on just the toxin damage on the Gas procs. It's probably a closer comparison around level 80, but at level 100+ the difference becomes pretty large.

This is a good example of how Ivara has spoiled me.  It's almost the opposite for her.  hehe.

4 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Not really.  Give me a sec and I'll post my build.

You are also correct.  Depending on how you play Mag or if you have Zenurik, then energy isn't really an issue.  She's not quite as energy hungry as some other frames to still be effective.  High efficiency is helpful, but not mandatory.

13 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is a good example of how Ivara has spoiled me.  It's almost the opposite for her.  hehe.

You are also correct.  Depending on how you play Mag or if you have Zenurik, then energy isn't really an issue.  She's not quite as energy hungry as some other frames to still be effective.  High efficiency is helpful, but not mandatory.

Aight, computer doesn't wanna so I can't post.

But, yes, efficiency is not mandatory.  I run Zenurik as well as Primed Flow and a Streamline, I rarely have energy issues.  Actually considering taking out the Streamline to see if I can squeeze more power or range on my build.  (I also have a few "spare" mod points, so my starting energy is higher than usual)  

20 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Hmmmmm.  Might be a cool idea to try.  Thanks.  :D

Or even both Augments. XD  Fracturing and Shield Transference would make her fairly beastly.  Lock mobs in place while simultaneously gaining overshields, with the 226% power strength on a well placed short duration Magenetize. 

Image result for mr burns .gif

Oh My God I can use Fracturing Crush to lock mobs in place so they can't run away from Magnetize!!!

Edited by Noamuth

I've always found Mag most fun in endless Void or Corpus Defense. On the Void map especially, having a Magnetize bubble blocking fire from one direction can really help control the battlefield as things start getting insane. Snow Globe might work just as well in most cases, but if you're in a t4 fissure group that's still cracking Axi relics till wave 20 and beyond, Snow Globe can be shot down very quickly by the Heavy gunners, while Magnetize has no limit to how much damage it can stop, and after 10-15 seconds of absorbing level 70+ enemy fire that explosion at the end will kill pretty much anything left standing.

Only issue is you have to wait for the duration to end for the bubble to pop, meaning you either have to avoid going too high on duration (effectively reducing the range of Polarize) or deal with bubbles typically going off long after everything caught in it is dead. If there's ever a change or augment released for Magnetize that let you pop the bubbles ahead of time, she'd probably be my go-to for nearly all defense and might even beat out my Saryn for Corpus survival sorties as well.

Edited by Foefaller

TL;DR: magnetize for survivability and kill zones.  mag is a one trick pony. GLHF

// SKILLS

pull and magnetize  are your main skills.  polarize is borderline useless.  crush is for when you feel like crushing enemy fodder.

// PLAYSTYLE

magnetize is a useful ability that pulls all projectiles to the center of the zone.  you can use it as "cover" from enemy fire as long as you are not positioned in between the enemy who is firing and the center of the zone, to which the shot will be pulled to.

against high level content, you want to get a first strike CC with pull or a status weapon so you dont get shot while casting magnetize. Alternatively, if you are already in a magnetize bubble, you can magnetize another enemy and play around that zone of "cover".

Notably, it can be hard/impossible to shoot enemies inside a zone that are not in its center, so it is always a good idea to bring a strong melee weapon modded for CC or damage.

// BUILD

natural talent is almost mandatory. magnetize cast time is horrendous: the bubble coming out at the END of the cast animation while you get shot in the face.

Efficiency: yes please. this can vary if you are running a maxed fleeting and no streamline

Duration : you can use negative  duration mods to lower this based on your liking. 

Range : max this out. arger zones, larger explosions.  if you can, get an arcane coil for +25% range

Strength: as long as you don't have below a x1 multiplier, you're good.  even if you do, it wont be that much of a problem.  + strength helps you nuke lower level with crush.

*** augments

greedy pull is nice if you can fit it into the build. can replace sentinel vacuum or even an ammo mutation.

shield transference is pretty garbage.  only really works against corpus.

fracturing crush feels like a waste of space. corrosive projection is an easy substitute. 

Edited by hukurokuju5

13 minutes ago, hukurokuju5 said:

TL;DR: magnetize for survivability and kill zones.  mag is a one trick pony. GLHF

// SKILLS

pull and magnetize  are your main skills.  polarize is borderline useless.  crush is for when you feel like crushing enemy fodder.

// PLAYSTYLE

magnetize is a useful ability that pulls all projectiles to the center of the zone.  you can use it as "cover" from enemy fire as long as you are not positioned in between the enemy who is firing and the center of the zone, to which the shot will be pulled to.

against high level content, you want to get a first strike CC with pull or a status weapon so you dont get shot while casting magnetize. Alternatively, if you are already in a magnetize bubble, you can magnetize another enemy and play around that zone of "cover".

Notably, it can be hard/impossible to shoot enemies inside a zone that are not in its center, so it is always a good idea to bring a strong melee weapon modded for CC or damage.

// BUILD

natural talent is almost mandatory. magnetize cast time is horrendous: the bubble coming out at the END of the cast animation while you get shot in the face.

Efficiency: yes please. this can vary if you are running a maxed fleeting and no streamline

Duration : you can use negative  duration mods to lower this based on your liking. 

Range : max this out. arger zones, larger explosions.  if you can, get an arcane coil for +25% range

Strength: as long as you don't have below a x1 multiplier, you're good.  even if you do, it wont be that much of a problem.  + strength helps you nuke lower level with crush.

*** augments

greedy pull is nice if you can fit it into the build. can replace sentinel vacuum or even an ammo mutation.

shield transference is pretty garbage.  only really works against corpus.

fracturing crush feels like a waste of space. corrosive projection is an easy substitute. 

Eh.

Shield Transference works in an empty room.  It gives a flat increase even when there are no other shields around to take from.  This augment does not work on armor.

47 minutes ago, texrei said:

I'm sure it works with armored enemies too

It doesn't immediately max shields the way it would work against corrupted or corpus, just gives a small boost for every cast. But the crush augment is supposed to be the alternative.

Some of you people have no imagination. Mag is amazing for protecting points in interception and otherwise herding enemies. And you damn well appreciate polarize when the defense target is taking health damage and the point is swamped with enemies because the Frost went afk.