Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can a Mag Main Enlighten Me

(PSN)Akuma_Asura_

Mag is meant for survivals in my opinion (although can be used for other things). Just keep them locked down with magnetize and use polarize to strip shields and armor. You should probably use and explosive weapon(although isn't completely necessary) like tonkor or torid so u can instantly kill the groups you lock down. Crush and pull are more or less for crowd control in my opinion, although at lower levels crush can kill things pretty effectively. Hope this helps.

strip enemy's armor by using Polarize and/or Crush with augment, create magnetic bombs (low duration) or area denial (high duration) with Magnetize, crowd control (Pull & Crush)

she just isn't godlike against shields anymore, since Polarize's values now are flat, unlike in the past, when scales with enemy's shield (percentage), plus Greedy Pull augment now only pull her items, instead of pull other player thing's too

people call her useless just like what's happening with Ash right now: because it's more difficult to use Bladestorm, even if it's other skills become more useful than before, they are starting to call it "useless"... what we can do if majority of the people like mindless "one trick pony" mechanics, just because it's easy?

Edited by Zeyez
like this topic, everything in the world can be changed, it just need the right words... and the left ones too

Not a "Mag Main" but She's good at striping shields and armour off things, ragdolling them, getting them trapped in bubbles where they get hit by trapped bullets and shards of broken armour and crushing stuff.

She may not be the End of All Corpus anymore but she's still a veru good frame thats had her options opened up to be useful versus more than one faction

Well, considering that Crush may as well CC YOU with its suicidal cast time for not much payoff, and that Polarize doesn't scale, meaning it falls off pretty fast unless spammed...

Let me put it this way. Without using augments, you're gonna have to get used to pressing 2. A lot. Because that's really all she has, outside of using her 1 to yank enemies into her Magnetize bubbles (if the planets align and RNG doesn't decide that a 3 inch ledge in the path from the enemy to the bubble is enough to bring their momentum to a complete halt, or alternatively that the enemies don't go flying miles behind you).

She's not useless, her 2 is certainly capable. She's just boring and limited as all hell, because she basically only has 2 abilities worth using at high levels, and one is temperamental at best.

My advice? Take Vauban instead. He basically does everything Mag is good at save for the damage multiplier that Magnetize causes, but has more uses overall (causing Radiation procs that even Nullifiers can't take away, SCALING armor reduction, setting up choke points with his 4 and CCing groups of enemies with his 3). Is he perfect? Nope. Tripwire and Tesla are still somewhat useless. He's also rather limited as well, because CC is all he has aside from armor stripping. But he's still more useful overall, because at least only 2/8 of his powers are rather useless, as opposed to the 2/4 that Mag has, and he can actually do group CC without killing himself in the process with Bastille.

Edited by Jackviator

2 minutes ago, Jackviator said:

Well, considering that Crush may as well CC YOU with its suicidal cast time for not much payoff, and that Polarize doesn't scale well...

Without using augments you're gonna have to get used to pressing 2. A lot. Because that's really all she has, outside of using her 1 to pull enemies into her Magnetize bubbles (if the planets align and RNG doesn't decide that a 3 inch ledge in the path from the enemy to the bubble isn't enough to bring their momentum to a complete halt).

She's not useless, her 2 is certainly capable. She's just boring as all hell, because she basically only has 2 abilities worth using.

If you use a natural talent her crush becomes less suicidal.

Just now, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

It's still ridiculous because even with a maxed natural talent that's still over 2 full seconds of doing nothing. Heck, even oberon only takes 2 seconds for reckoning without natural talent and at least blinds baddies around those affected by it. Mag needs a buff, badly

On 2/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

That still doesn't fix its problems of non-scaling damage and CC that only affects the enemies while you're in the midst of casting the ability.

...Which, come to think of it, might actually make Natural Talent hurt the CC of the ability. Huh. You just can't win with Crush... :sad:

Edited by Jackviator

I sort of like mag, though she's squishy and her abilities only tikcles higher lvl enemies. The only thing I wish for mag is a small tweak to crush so that it synergize with other abilities... lets see...

Damage buff would never happen...

Cc is being added with augment, so maybe if you crush polarized enemies a portion of, that stripped armor goes to mag? That would add some survivability to her.

She's the best at creating chock point. You can easily secure doorways, hallways, and on with her by applying Magnetize on an enemy. She can also use the bubble for defense being immune to anything but melee while she's in there most of the time. 

With her polarize she's quite powerful against shielded corpus because not only does she drain their shield, but it also makes them explode damaging enemies near them. For Grinner she stripes their armor, allowing for better damage.  Its augment works best against corpus because the bonus shields that you get are affected by the shields you destroy. 

Her pull is really nice for quick CC, its force is determined by powerstrenght,  so low power strenght Mag only puts them on the ground, a high power strenght mag ragdolls them providing a bit more time to get out of the situation before they recover .

Her Crush with a bit of range is a decent enough CC, but it can easily kill you if you cast it in the wrong place because of its long cast time. I should invest a forma in her to be able to put an exilus as well, but i`m too lazy for that atm. 

This is the build that I use most of the time + max Zenurik regen

warframe0051_by_skyrim_archmage-dazv825.

It gives me a pretty decent balance between her powers, Polarize travels just enough, Magnetize is big enough for doorways  and doesn't last too long. Pull cc-s decent enough, and Crush is quite ok. 

Edited by aligatorno

5 minutes ago, DxAdder said:

Mags other power don't scale to at all and are only marginally  useful vs low lvl enemies.

Only marginally useful against low level enemies? I'd have to hugely disagree there. I was going against level 30-40 Grineer the other day and beat out a WoF Ember with Polarize alone, not to mention the damage/CC I did with Magnetize and Pull combined. Even at higher levels, Polarize can result in ridiculous amounts of extra damage, both from armor/shield stripping and its shards, if you use it at the right times in conjunction with Magnetize and Pull. 

Edited by (PS4)rowansprite

16 minutes ago, (PS4)rowansprite said:

Only marginally useful against low level enemies? I'd have to hugely disagree there. I was going against level 30-40 Grineer the other day and beat out a WoF Ember with Polarize alone, not to mention the damage/CC I did with Magnetize and Pull combined. Even at higher levels, Polarize can result in ridiculous amounts of extra damage, both from armor/shield stripping and its shards, if you use it at the right times in conjunction with Magnetize and Pull. 

Polarize is Base 400 damage, even at 200% power STR that's ONLY 800 damage. a waste of energy.

You could case Magnetize instead and a few rounds from your weapon of choice and kill lvl 100 units instead.

Crush ? with that casting time you will long since dead before you even chip the paint off your enemies.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

What is mag good at ? I don't wanna just disregard her & call her useless because obviously I just don't know how to play her, soo what does a mag main do ?

I have a high strength low duration build that I use for Grineer.  I went with the low duration because I'm pretty mobile, and recasting Polarize before its completed its timer simply cancels the first cast.

So for me, putting +duration mods is pointless.

A high strength build make Magnetize insane as well, I think I have 226% strength which gives it a 4.52 damage multiplier, which is great fun when paired with weapons like the Sancti Tigris.  (current build has 20k slash & 13k radiation) and even though the bubble doesn't last long, it still packs a punch on explosion, and the damage multiplier shortens boss fights significantly.

But lets face it, in team play everyone is going to attack everything in and around the bubble anyway, why bother with a long duration? 

For Sorties I switch things up and drop Fracturing Crush in place of Shield Transference.  Even though Polarize does a set number for damage and armor strip, F.C. does, IIRC, 50% removal no matter what.  

Edited by Noamuth

1 hour ago, DxAdder said:

Mag is a 1 trick pony:

You cast Magnetize and then fire a weapon with the highest perpetration possible into the bubble and kill everything.

Mags other power don't scale to at all and are only marginally  useful vs low lvl enemies.

What build are you using? Because I'm doing pretty dang good in T4 Endless Fissures with my Mag.

4 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Shes fun to use IMO. Thats all that matter to me. I dont know what she does "better" than any other frame, but i can use her effectively.

I have my vanilla Mag with a range and stength build, specifically for Pull, and go skeet shooting with her.

If it's mag thread, @Noamuth will show up.

On topic! 

I for one never use natural talent. I feel like if i do use it i'll get too used to it to unuse natural talent, bcause atm i can do just fine by utillizibg her 1 and 2 for cc as well as some daage, 3 for heals and damage, and 4 is a panic button to pause everyone (long cast isn't an issue if everyone can't shoot you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (except bombards and schorches. Fck those guys.))

she doesn't really have a soft spot in meta squads, but who cares tbh, she excells at cc, holding choke points, shielding allies, screwing raptor. Also, i'm pretty biased since she was my starter.

Edited by (PS4)watt4hem

Not a mag main but just gonna give my opinion.

Her pull is good, I believe it works when you reload and it great for giving you a little breathing room.

Magnitize is an amazing ability, great for choke points and hitting high priority enemies.

Polarize sucks. It a flat value debuff, at higher levels and it not worth the cast. It also gives you  back sheild but sheilds are useless at higher levels. If I had my way with this ability I would take it damage away and make it only do % debuff to armour and sheild.

Crush... is useless. Like even at low levels it can get you killed, way to long of cast with barely any benefits. I have no idea how this can be reworked.

1 minute ago, Fast_98 said:

Not a mag main but just gonna give my opinion.

Her pull is good, I believe it works when you reload and it great for giving you a little breathing room.

Magnitize is an amazing ability, great for choke points and hitting high priority enemies.

Polarize sucks. It a flat value debuff, at higher levels and it not worth the cast. It also gives you  back sheild but sheilds are useless at higher levels. If I had my way with this ability I would take it damage away and make it only do % debuff to armour and sheild.

Crush... is useless. Like even at low levels it can get you killed, way to long of cast with barely any benefits. I have no idea how this can be reworked.

Pull isn't a 1 hand cast (even though she uses 1 hand)

1000 replenishable shield is not useless, no really

Crush pauses people, sometimes it pauses mag's life too if not carefully used

9 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

If it's mag thread, @Noamuth will show up.

Its like I'm Pulled to them...

10 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

On topic! 

I for one never use natural talent. I feel like if i do use it i'll get too used to it to unuse natural talent, bcause atm i can do just fine by utillizibg her 1 and 2 for cc as well as some daage, 3 for heals and damage, and 4 is a panic button to pause everyone (long cast isn't an issue if everyone can't shoot you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (except bombards and schorches. Fck those guys.))

I used to have Natural Talent on mine but took it off in favor of more power strength.  And I have to agree.  The first time I used Crush and Bullet Attractor afterwards (yes, it was that long ago) I felt like I was watching paint dry.

It does have some uses though, I'm experimenting with a speed cast -duration build that is looking fun.