Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The word "Gay"

ShadyFlames

3 minutes ago, ShadyFlames said:

I'm not though. Also how do you offend someone by saying: "Gay"? This isn't tumblr

I don't know you, so I don't claim to know how you use the word. The way a lot of people use it, though, is to say things like "I got another lens from the sortie? That's so gay!"

Which means in that person's mind, "gay" is shorthand for "a thing I don't like." It originated from people disliking homosexuals, and not wanting to be associated with homosexuality in any way. Can you imagine how it would feel to hear people constantly equating what you are with being terrible?

English is a diverse language. There are a lot of ways to express your displeasure without calling something or someone gay.

the actual word "gay" is a prime (lol) example of a word being contorted from one meaning to another. it sued to mean "overly happy", you could get away with saying things like "I'm having a gay old time!". over the years though, it's been used mostly as a derogatory term for a homosexual person, usually referencing how they see them as being "too happy all the time".

another example is "wicked". it originally meant "evil" as in the Wicked Witch, but it too has been turned upside down, and exclamations of "Wicked!" are now positive, giving praise to something, e.g. "That's a Wicked Syandana you got there, mate!"

and people wonder why it's so hard to learn languages.. wouldn't be if they didn't evolve so much over time.

2 hours ago, ShadyFlames said:

I'm not though. Also how do you offend someone by saying: "Gay"? This isn't tumblr

Not to mention like 90% of tumblr is queer (gay) AF and uses it all the time to self describe.

2 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

i agree here. its not hard to stop saying bs words in an online game like ''gay'' or ''cancer'' or ''autism'' or ''sjw''

how many autistic kids have you seen that can play an online game, or even type a full sentence...? im yet to see even ONE.

i think many players have aspergers and autism confused af

I agree about people misusing words, but tbh assuming autistic people don't play online games or type is pretty jacked up.

Guess I should be thankful I'm a lesbian, legit didn't know this was an issue.

2 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

how many autistic kids have you seen that can play an online game, or even type a full sentence...? im yet to see even ONE.

i think many players have aspergers and autism confused af

Just wanted to quickly give correct(er as of a psychiatry course 2 years ago, diagnose criteria change over time) information in case someone wants it or are interested. 

Aspergers is an "autism spectrum disorder" and as such is a form of autism. 

There are people on the spectrum that don't speak/have language, yes, but there are also plenty of non-aspie autistic people who speak and write and play video games just fine. The language issues that the diagnose "requires" can be as subtle as having trouble with certain synonyms, forming very perfectionistic sentences, or can be spoken language only and unnoticeable in text. 

The more you know... :)

For the record I have played with several autistic kids and adults, in many online games, and that is only counting the ones I knew in guilds/communities. Chances are, so have everyone else too ^_^

4 hours ago, AerinSol said:

Robots are weird. They're all politically correct to please the majority of their Hooman overlords.

The creative ones are more offensive. Which is why I say, "sticky hole" often in all chats.

So when the machines take over they will be al triggered?

2 hours ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

Not to mention like 90% of tumblr is queer (gay) AF and uses it all the time to self describe.

I agree about people misusing words, but tbh assuming autistic people don't play online games or type is pretty jacked up.

Guess I should be thankful I'm a lesbian, legit didn't know this was an issue.

ive watched a lot of material about certain subjects, one just so happens to involve the use of a certain not so legal medicinal herb and the effects of it on children with autism.

like, none of them could play a game. or probably memorize what buttons on a controller do. its sad, but its that severe as far as i can tell. 

asper v i guess its not always as bad as i thought. doesnt make using the word the way players do any better, but yeah. 

Edited by PookieNumnums

1 hour ago, (PS4)Arctic-Pixie said:

Just wanted to quickly give correct(er as of a psychiatry course 2 years ago, diagnose criteria change over time) information in case someone wants it or are interested. 

Aspergers is an "autism spectrum disorder" and as such is a form of autism. 

There are people on the spectrum that don't speak/have language, yes, but there are also plenty of non-aspie autistic people who speak and write and play video games just fine. The language issues that the diagnose "requires" can be as subtle as having trouble with certain synonyms, forming very perfectionistic sentences, or can be spoken language only and unnoticeable in text. 

The more you know... :)

For the record I have played with several autistic kids and adults, in many online games, and that is only counting the ones I knew in guilds/communities. Chances are, so have everyone else too ^_^

thank you for the clarity. that makes me feel better that not everyone who may suffer has to suffer so terribly. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

Reasons why this thread will be locked with quickness . There's some immature people on here 

In that specific commenter's defense, it's a South Park Reference. I found it funny. It's just making light of the situation.

4 hours ago, direcyphre said:

But do you like fishsticks? Do you put fishsticks in your mouth?

I see what you did there.

4 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

By using the term derogatorily I'd imagine.

You have zero cause to use terms regarding orientation, gender, age, or race in an online format.

You might think that folks getting offended shouldn't be your problem, and you'd be right...It's DE's.

Which is likely why you got a time out.

4 hours ago, Syvarin said:

I don't know you, so I don't claim to know how you use the word. The way a lot of people use it, though, is to say things like "I got another lens from the sortie? That's so gay!"

Which means in that person's mind, "gay" is shorthand for "a thing I don't like." It originated from people disliking homosexuals, and not wanting to be associated with homosexuality in any way. Can you imagine how it would feel to hear people constantly equating what you are with being terrible?

English is a diverse language. There are a lot of ways to express your displeasure without calling something or someone gay.

@Syvarin

The situation you describe is probably over 90% of average usage of the word. And to be perfectly honest, there is nothing wrong with a term adapting and growing over the course of time.

Just because previously it had a negative connotation towards a specific group of people (homosexuals) doesn't mean that meaning has to carry. This whole debacle over the word "Gay" is what causes it to carry it's meaning at all. I have several gay friends, and my brother is gay, and never have I, my brother, or any of my gay friends met any actual homosexual person who was offended when someone described a situation as "Gay". That's not to say they are not out there, but like I said, every homosexual I've ever spoken to does not care. As long as you aren't directing the comment at them, they understand and don't jump to taking it as a personal insult.

Literally everyone I see get offended by the term are just the "ooooh you can't say that its bad" people. And those very people are what keep the stereotype going that it's bad. On the actual topic of in WF, their game, they are free to censor whatever they wish. They coulda permaban you for saying pancakes. That is within their right as developer. But that still doesn't change the fact that this term needs to die in the eyes of those who KNOW the speaker mean no offense, and jump to barking at them to watch their mouth.

In England, a f@g (a word we commonly associate in the same realm as "Gay" and usually with a MUCH, MUCH harsher connotation) means cigarette. Should they change their word because people here get offended by it? No they shouldn't. And you'd be laughed at by anyone in England who referred to one as such only to have you say how it 'offends' you. All they'd have to say is "that's not what we are using it to mean". I'm pretty sure most people would hear that and mention it no more. I just don't understand why people can't get it through their head's that just because you are using/hearing a word one way, means that is the only way it can be used.

Just my 2 plat,
~Az

Edited by Azlen

4 minutes ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

can we say queer? cuz they said that in the banshee trailer.

Queer is another term that is used to mean homosexual (in a negative context) but is more generally associated with just being odd (as is the literal definition). It's probably okay because a lot more people actually see the word queer for what it's definition is (odd or peculiar) as opposed to the number of people who see gay for it's definition (happy).

Not to mention, strange or odd is the number 1 definition of queer, as opposed to homosexual being the number 1 definition of gay.

Edited by Azlen

6 minutes ago, Azlen said:

Queer is another term that is used to mean homosexual (in a negative context) but is more generally associated with just being odd (as is the literal definition). It's probably okay because a lot more people actually see the word queer for what it's definition is (odd or peculiar) as opposed to the number of people who see gay for it's definition (happy).

Not to mention, strange or odd is the number 1 definition of queer, as opposed to homosexual being the number 1 definition of gay.

Might want to spend some time in the LGBTQI community.  There is actually an orientation known as Queer and is the Q in their abbreviation.  It doesn't hold inherently negative connotations, just like gay doesn't.

Really, almost no word holds and inherent negative meaning, if you look up just about any word, it'll have a tertiary definition that is a 180 from the previous two, allowing a positive and negative use for the same word.

as to the OP's question; since it's difficult for an AI to discern whether or not your being discriminatory or not, I'd suggest staying away from the word.  Although, I would still love a personalized word censor for every player.  Just something that changes any word from your list to "Clem." or something.  

2 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Might want to spend some time in the LGBTQI community.  There is actually an orientation known as Queer and is the Q in their abbreviation.  It doesn't hold inherently negative connotations, just like gay doesn't.

Really, almost no word holds and inherent negative meaning, if you look up just about any word, it'll have a tertiary definition that is a 180 from the previous two, allowing a positive and negative use for the same word.

as to the OP's question; since it's difficult for an AI to discern whether or not your being discriminatory or not, I'd suggest staying away from the word.  Although, I would still love a personalized word censor for every player.  Just something that changes any word from your list to "Clem." or something.  

Hence why I explicitly clarified for when the term is used "in a negative context" which is what the previous poster was specifically asking about.

1 minute ago, Azlen said:

All good, though I do appreciate the additional information! And you are definitely right about words and their meaning.

Uhg, I just reread my post.  Should not be commenting when dead tired.

Peace.

I doubt they will ever change it, but as a gay man, it actually DOEs bother me that it is censored. If people are using it as a insult, then chat moderators should ban them on a case by case basis for insulting others. It's easy to tell from context when someone is using the word, or any word, as an insult.

But to censor the word altogether is ludicrous. It is a legitimate word to legitimately describe gay people and censoring it gives the indirect implication that there is something wrong with the word/state of being. Obviously DE doesn't think there is anything wrong with being gay (before anyone tells me I'm overreacting). And I'm not really THAT peeved about it. But it just rubs me the wrong way is all. I don't really like how it feels. 

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I doubt they will ever change it, but as a gay man, it actually DOEs bother me that it is censored. If people are using it as a insult, then chat moderators should ban them on a case by case basis for insulting others. It's easy to tell from context when someone is using the word, or any word, as an insult.

But to censor the word altogether is ludicrous. It is a legitimate word to legitimately describe gay people and censoring it gives the indirect implication that there is something wrong with the word/state of being. Obviously DE doesn't think there is anything wrong with being gay (before anyone tells me I'm overreacting). And I'm not really THAT peeved about it. But it just rubs me the wrong way is all. I don't really like how it feels. 

Amen.

33 minutes ago, Azlen said:

I'm pretty sure most people would hear that and mention it no more. I just don't understand why people can't get it through their head's that just because you are using/hearing a word one way, means that is the only way it can be used.

Just my 2 plat,
~Az

No one can read your mind or heart...

You'd be pretty miffed if, for instance, someone heard you use language like that, took offense/felt intimidated, and then proceeded to kick the crap out of you because they perceived you as an active threat.

You'd probably feel like you were treated wrongly and that the response wasn't equal to the comment that sparked it.

Before you tell me about how that wouldn't happen...It happens.

Comments with language commonly used to diminish, denigrate, or disrespect another, even when used in a colloquial manner, can still diminish, denigrate, and disrespect.

Regardless of what you think...Everyone doesn't perceive it the same way and won't respond to it the same way. 

Please mind that I am not saying that you can't say what you want...Just that you shouldn't complain about the consequences if they don't go your way.

To me, that's the brand of basic common sense that people overlook entirely too much nowadays.

If you want respect and consideration then you should be prepared to give respect and consideration.

That's a core tenet of humanity (which isn't the same as being human sadly).