The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Certain Deluxe Skins Canon?

Reconsile

I was having a discussion with a bud about the legitimacy of deluxe skins, and when searching up concrete answers, I couldn't seem to find much of anything. As most of us should know already, deluxe skins Nemesis Nyx and Proto Excalibur are not canon. DE has made it clear Dark Sector is not canon to current Warframe and in turn, these are simply just a nod at their origins. But what about the other deluxe skins? Gersemi Valkyr? Soprana Banshee? Knave Loki? At what length is the line drawn differentiating which skins are canon to lore and what isn't? I can't seem to find it as well, but i could have sworn that from a stream or old forum the Devs confirmed that all deluxe skins should be considered non-canon, or if anything at least, an alternate reality. Do we have any confirmed word on such a thing?

I remember hearing something like that as well. That skins are basically just meant for cosmetic purposes, but some of them could be considered as what the frames may have been in an alternate reality or just an alternate timeline. I know the Valkyr skin, the Gersemi skin for example was confirmed as basically Valkyr pre-corpus corruption. 

It depends on the skin; and also there is not much ever explained on them depth wise so the occasional piece of info like that, usually in a dev stream or such is about all that any one knows or likely will know going forward. They are mainly just meant to be for gameplay reasons, an alternate skin for variety sake and they try and fit them to the character as much as they can aesthetically; which sometimes involves expanding from an idea that fits what I said before.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)auwsomestgamer said:

Has lore. That was what she looked like before experimentation (Valkyr Prime kinda messes with it). All the other deluxes are designed to look better than prime so that DE make more money. 

How does Valkyr prime mess with it? Valkyr prime clearly takes a lot of elements from Gersemi, but adds gauntlets.

Just now, JSharpie said:

How does Valkyr prime mess with it? Valkyr prime clearly takes a lot of elements from Gersemi, but adds gauntlets.

It's more the fact that they don't look alike. Gersemi was supposed to be non-prime Valkyr before the corpus did their thing, and non-prime Warframes generally resemble their prime counterparts for the most part. Gersemi looks almost completely different to prime; the head, the 'wings', the tail, they're all different. 

There's not really anything that goes against the lore, but it does go against the pattern of prime designs.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)auwsomestgamer said:

Has lore. That was what she looked like before experimentation (Valkyr Prime kinda messes with it). All the other deluxes are designed to look better than prime so that DE make more money. 

That's 100% subjective. Deluxe skins are designed to look good so DE makes money.

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

It's more the fact that they don't look alike. Gersemi was supposed to be non-prime Valkyr before the corpus did their thing, and non-prime Warframes generally resemble their prime counterparts for the most part. Gersemi looks almost completely different to prime; the head, the 'wings', the tail, they're all different. 

There's not really anything that goes against the lore, but it does go against the pattern of prime designs.

That's 100% subjective. Deluxe skins are designed to look good so DE makes money.

I'd say they look a lot more alike than you'd think. It's like saying Nekros and Nekros Prime break lore because of their looks, or Banshee and Banshee prime. The newer primes are more detailed and diverse compared to the older ones, and I think that's a welcome trend, where as old primes were just slight remodels with gold bits, newer primes have their own look to them making them unique to themselves, yet still showing clear ties to the more mass produced copies.

8 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I think for the most part they fit into the category of "vaguely related but questionably connected", like tennogen skins.

I believe on the latest Prime Time the devs confirmed after being questioned by chat that tennogen skins are indeed non-canon and just fun little project with the community. Though, it would be nice to have an answer on whether deluxes are canon or not. So far we have 2 down on their legitimacy but then... it just seems so weird to be back and forth on some skins made just for service, while some actually holding true to lore

Edited by Reconsile

3 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

The only ones I know for sure are the ones for loki, sayrn, and oberon because they are summoned to aid/protect the silver Grove. 

But is it 100% for sure? We all know DE gets lazy when their are forced to rush content and it could have just been easier for them to basically advertise their deluxe skins in a quest instead of redesigning a new specter as the Grove's guardians

Edited by Reconsile

1 minute ago, Reconsile said:

But is it 100% for sure? We all know DE gets lazy when their are forced to rush content and it could have just been easier for their to basically advertise their deluxe skins in a quest instead of redesigning a new specter as the Grove's guardians

It doesn't seem lazy. The specters fit the plant/nature theme, they seem to fight different than other specters, and they have unique drop tables. 

Just now, Miser_able said:

It doesn't seem lazy. The specters fit the plant/nature theme, they seem to fight different than other specters, and they have unique drop tables. 

I don't want to seem like i am being blinded by ignorance and refusing proof before my eyes or anything. I am just a guy that likes to have a confirmation rather than being left with "what ifs". If i am to believe these 3 are canon, the question then is, why or rather how did the Grove get a specter of Orphid Saryn? From the deluxe description we are told:

" Bloom into a beautiful yet deadly agent of the Lotus.

I am curious about the " ...deadly agent of the Lotus."

Are we left to assume in the mighty great plan of space mom she enlisted a specter in the visage of her deadly agent to Grove? I don't entirely think so as Lotus (iirc) is a bit more surprised about the Grove for someone that we might assume knew of its existence in the first place. Loki and Oberon i got nothing for.

6 minutes ago, Reconsile said:

I don't want to seem like i am being blinded by ignorance and refusing proof before my eyes or anything. I am just a guy that likes to have a confirmation rather than being left with "what ifs". If i am to believe these 3 are canon, the question then is, why or rather how did the Grove get a specter of Orphid Saryn? From the deluxe description we are told:

" Bloom into a beautiful yet deadly agent of the Lotus.

I am curious about the " ...deadly agent of the Lotus."

Are we left to assume in the mighty great plan of space mom she enlisted a specter in the visage of her deadly agent to Grove? I don't entirely think so as Lotus (iirc) is a bit more surprised about the Grove for someone that we might assume knew of its existence in the first place. Loki and Oberon i got nothing for.

It's possible that woman (silvana I think?) helped develop those skins and kept a couple copies or prototypes before they got released into the field where the lotus got ahold of them. 

13 minutes ago, (PS4)auwsomestgamer said:

If the prime skins look better then ppl wont buy the deluxe. Deluxe are designed with the intent of looking better than the prime.

You're kidding, right? This is entirely 100% subjective. Some people like primes more than deluxe. Some people like deluxe more than primes. They can't just "make it look better", because that opinion is going to vary hugely. Not to mention the fact that it costs less to buy a deluxe skin.

Your claim is basically like saying a chef cooks mushrooms because they're better than asparagus.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

1 minute ago, Miser_able said:

It's possible that woman (silvana I think?) helped develop those skins and kept a couple copies or prototypes before they got released into the field where the lotus got ahold of them. 

Knave I can see, given we are just told that it is literally a new look for trickster, and Oberon we can i guess head canon that, similar to his description, the grieving Grove after Titania's death warped Oberon deluxe into the embodiment of the "forest's revenge". I still find it peculiar that Saryn specifically mentions the Lotus despite Lotus not taking that alias until after the murder of the Orokin. Not even head canon seems to be able to fix that without some really bad band-aiding

1 minute ago, Reconsile said:

Knave I can see, given we are just told that it is literally a new look for trickster, and Oberon we can i guess head canon that, similar to his description, the grieving Grove after Titania's death warped Oberon deluxe into the embodiment of the "forest's revenge". I still find it peculiar that Saryn specifically mentions the Lotus despite Lotus not taking that alias until after the murder of the Orokin. Not even head canon seems to be able to fix that without some really bad band-aiding

True. The lore does get a bit wonky in certain places. I hope the web comic clears some of this stuff up

17 minutes ago, (PS4)auwsomestgamer said:

If the prime skins look better then ppl wont buy the deluxe. Deluxe are designed with the intent of looking better than the prime.

4 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

You're kidding, right? This is entirely 100% subjective. Some people like primes more than deluxe. Some people like deluxe more than primes. They can't just "make it look better", because that opinion is going to vary hugely. Not to mention the fact that it costs less to buy a deluxe skin.

Your claim is basically like saying a chef cooks mushrooms because they're better than asparagus.

If anything, I would say deluxe skins were designed with the market idea of grabbing the other branch of possible buyers. Extending their reach to, lets say the people that didn't actually like the prime look, and so instead of buying prime pack, they farmed it. Now deluxe gives them a possible different look, appealing the lesser of two evils per say and trying to grab some cash out of them

2 minutes ago, Reconsile said:

If anything, I would say deluxe skins were designed with the market idea of grabbing the other branch of possible buyers. Extending their reach to, lets say the people that didn't actually like the prime look, and so instead of buying prime pack, they farmed it. Now deluxe gives them a possible different look, appealing the lesser of two evils per say and trying to grab some cash out of them

Basically what I said; they try to make them look good so people will buy them. They do not 'make' deluxe skins look better than primes, because it's completely subjective. They TRY to make them look good.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

2 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

True. The lore does get a bit wonky in certain places. I hope the web comic clears some of this stuff up

If there is one thing Warframe lore has kept in continuity, it is their plot holes. To be honest though, i think this plot hole is because of the time when Saryn Deluxe was released. Sayrn was released (kinda lazy to look her up again) at least a year before Silver Grove, and her description just hasn't been bothered to be changed

1 minute ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Basically what I said; they try to make them look good so people will buy them. They do not 'make' deluxe skins look better than primes, because it's completely subjective. They TRY to make them look good.

Sorry, wasn't trying to disagree with you. I guess i didn't click that my view of it and your view were virtually the same

Tennogen are just from the community.

Deluxe skins are actually in game Frames that serve different purposes. Has no one in here fought the LOKI KNAVE with different powers than us? Or the other delixe wearing Frames thats powers are a bit different than ours? I am really looking forward to seeing what Rhino Pal skin has in store for us.