The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gating?

First I'd like to say bravo DE on the weapon changes. Looking for to testing out that sexy panthera. 

That said, Would some kinda shield gating be a good idea? I do use tonkor on my Vauban P build (and it's the only launcher I use) IMO wouldn't mind some kinda shield gating incase I do self damage I wouldn't out right kill myself. 

Would it be a good idea or nah?

shield gating won't ever be a thing, due to how it makes sniper units and other forms of spike damage ineffective. it would help with the self damage problem some may have, but it's not hard to use powers/Switch weapon/tactically retreat a bit when using a Launcher might not be a good idea. I think the best way to solve the problem would be smart grenades: rounds from launchers only deal Impact damage to directly hit targets unless they travel a sufficient distance to arm themselves to explode.

it worked in Killing Floor 2, and it would also work here. we can always imagine it's a "technological advancement in weaponry" that has occurred.

1 minute ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

shield gating won't ever be a thing, due to how it makes sniper units and other forms of spike damage ineffective. it would help with the self damage problem some may have, but it's not hard to use powers/Switch weapon/tactically retreat a bit when using a Launcher might not be a good idea. I think the best way to solve the problem would be smart grenades: rounds from launchers only deal Impact damage to directly hit targets unless they travel a sufficient distance to arm themselves to explode.

it worked in Killing Floor 2, and it would also work here. we can always imagine it's a "technological advancement in weaponry" that has occurred.

Im pretty sure that was the exact reason they were going to nerf it, to stop things like sniper units and bombards from one shotting you.

30 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

you do know its shield gating for US...not npcs...

12 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

you do know its shield gating for US...not npcs...

yes, I said sniper UNITS, meaning enemies, not Snipers in general meaning us. it's there in black and white...

they may as well remove Ballistas and other enemy snipers from the game if they go through with shield gating, because they'll be no threat to us: they hit us, we wait for our shields to recharge, and repeat. if these units can't one shot us, then what is their purpose being on the battlefield in the first place, other than cannon fodder?

56 minutes ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

Shield gating is the cheesiest mechanic ever. It'd make the low motivation to equip health/shield mods non existent.

Also it'd kinda be unfair to frames with no shields

The two frames with no shields are fairly tank in their own right, but if it really became that much of a disparity, they could always change it so things like shield charger gave those frames temporary shields.

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

They have talked about adding this to the game in general a while ago, although i haven't heard anything about since the talked about it :p

I'd like to hear more about this as well.

3 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

yes, I said sniper UNITS, meaning enemies, not Snipers in general meaning us. it's there in black and white...

they may as well remove Ballistas and other enemy snipers from the game if they go through with shield gating, because they'll be no threat to us: they hit us, we wait for our shields to recharge, and repeat. if these units can't one shot us, then what is their purpose being on the battlefield in the first place, other than cannon fodder?

ah ok....well how often are you fighting against sniper units and nothing else? especially at high level....they can still take out our shields and we can still get creamed by the rest of the enemies...but that is exactly WHY many of us WANT shield gating...so we DONT get one shotted for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

ah ok....well how often are you fighting against sniper units and nothing else? especially at high level....they can still take out our shields and we can still get creamed by the rest of the enemies...but that is exactly WHY many of us WANT shield gating...so we DONT get one shotted for no reason.

Especially those F-in napalm eximus units, I had over 3500 armor and was still one shoted by a lvl 65. F those guys. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

One way around this would be if players couldn't receive more than (for example) 500 damage in one shot. But, if we have <499 Shields, then damage can bleed over into Health.

This way, having 500+ Shields (achievable with a single mod on nearly all frames) will provide decent protection against snipers and such, and stacking Overshields will make players noticeably tanky against snipers. BUT: players won't be able to survive against snipers unless they actively build for shields somehow-- i.e. a Loki with no Redirection will get oneshotted all the same.

Basically, we're given the option to build for anti-Sniper defenses (i.e. Shields), instead of being able to freely eat up Sniper shots by default.