Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Roar to Aggro Enemies

Kusungphak

I am very new player so hope this doesn't anger any veterans as its just my thoughts on tank aggro mechanics.

Did search for it in forums and seems it has been mentioned before as well.

For my current play style I like to run with tank frames Rhino and Inaros mostly. Since I am normally farming for resources, I do like to run survival missions. I would love to have a way to have enemies to be aggro'ed to me so that I can take the damage. I was helping another clan mate with a nightmare mission and they kept dying. Would really help in a situation like this.

Something like the Resonator (Octavia), Saryn (Molt). But they are not tank frames.

Don't want any buff from the incoming damage (like Nyx) just want enemies to come and attack me instead of my teammates. This way say a teammate is getting revived I can draw the enemy fire away. 

Just an idea. If it hampers the core play of other players how maybe an augment mod or Exilus mod which I can put on to draw enemy fire on Roar.

Example: Axe in Dota. Roar and all come and attack me instead.

Since I don't play Rhino (and therefore could not give a fair opinion on whether an augment that could draw aggro would be nice or not), I'll just suggest an existing mod that people already use:

GuardianDerisionMod.png

Edited by Beggining
Woop da Woop

12 minutes ago, Kusungphak said:

tank frames Rhino

Rhino isn't a canonic tank frame (especially compared with inaros and nidus) - he's a heavy vanguard unit aka "striker".

His task isn't to eat lead - his task is to feed others with lead and to get away with that, using CC and damage buff for better efficiency.

I don't see why not.  It would not be OP and it would not force melee(@Beggining and @(PS4)Ashim1 ).  It also fits with Rhino being a tank frame.

However, roar is currently a damage buff that is quite good on its own, so I think this would be best implemented as a roar augment, so it costs a mod slot to get the functionality.  Also making it an augment lets people decide if they want the aggro draw or not.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Final_Dragon01 said:

However, roar is currently a damage buff that is quite good on its own, so I think this would be best implemented as a roar augment, so it costs a mod slot to get the functionality.  Also making it an augment lets people decide if they want the aggro draw or not.

Makes sense. The piercing roar augment is laughable in its current state

i would like it to be added as well for the base roar, and not an augment, cause if you look at it, when someone roars like that, enemies are bound to go after you, so it kinda makes sense right? but i guess it would only really be nice if other than the taunt, you could also recast roar

22 minutes ago, Beggining said:

Since I don't play Rhino (and therefore could not give a fair opinion on whether an augment that could draw aggro would be nice or not), I'll just suggest an existing mod that people already use:

GuardianDerisionMod.png

15 is really low. I tried it and is really bad, taunts just a few enemies even against infested.

you can draw aggro better moving really fast around like a headless chicken.

probably taunting needs some love, the only reason is not already built-in the abilities of tankier frames is because not everybody wants to do so.

but really the re should be augments allowing certain abilities to taunt in a non-stupid range

30 minutes ago, Beggining said:

GuardianDerisionMod.png

Ok I did not know about this mod. Would definitely try it out. 

I know having aggro would make Rhino have a 3rd crowd control as his 1st and 4th already do it. It is just an idea. 

A roar in a battlefield is normally a taunt. Come get me type if you can type.

Edited by Kusungphak

2 minutes ago, JohnKable said:

15 is really low. I tried it and it is really bad, taunts just a few enemies even against infested.

Just now, Kusungphak said:

I know having aggro would make Rhino have a 3rd crowd control as his 1st and 4th already do it. It is just an idea.

Eh, like I said, I don't play Rhino, so I'm not sure if it'll be good for his Roar to have an aggro-mechanic.

In any case, it looks like the other replies would like a 'taunt' system for Rhino's Roar, so that's good, huh? :)

5 minutes ago, Varacal said:

i would like it to be added as well for the base roar, and not an augment, cause if you look at it, when someone roars like that, enemies are bound to go after you, so it kinda makes sense right? but i guess it would only really be nice if other than the taunt, you could also recast roar

I can't completely agree because some of my rhino builds are made purely to supply the damage buff and suspend enemies with stomp.  I absolutely do not want to draw aggro with such builds.  If aggro was going to be added to the base ability of anything, it should be added to iron skin.  Thematically that makes little sense, but in terms of game play that is where such an effect belongs.

aggro is a funny thing. I'd actually rather not draw aggro as my Rhino prime because at higher levels he can't take it that well. Rhino is NOT a Tank, he's just a CC/support frame with extra durability. Inaros is far tankier, so you could easily get away with drawing aggro to him. in fact, since 3 of his abilities need enemies nearby in order to heal him, aggro actually benefits him. plus he's only got a couple augments at the moment, maybe there's still time for him to get an Augment for his Desiccation or Devour that has agro drawing? who knows.

for now, your best bet is just to run in before anyone else does and hope they go to shoot you first, that, or use Guardian Derision, as already stated by others.

50 minutes ago, (PS4)Ashim1 said:

i think youd be better off with ack and brunt with the guardian durision mod. this way you can aggro and tank even with nyx.  

But then you're locked into using a weapon to draw aggro., sometimes on frames that can't deal with it.

A roar aggro augment would be nice. I don't think it should be baseline.

28 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

aggro is a funny thing. I'd actually rather not draw aggro as my Rhino prime because at higher levels he can't take it that well. Rhino is NOT a Tank, he's just a CC/support frame with extra durability. Inaros is far tankier, so you could easily get away with drawing aggro to him. in fact, since 3 of his abilities need enemies nearby in order to heal him, aggro actually benefits him. plus he's only got a couple augments at the moment, maybe there's still time for him to get an Augment for his Desiccation or Devour that has agro drawing? who knows.

for now, your best bet is just to run in before anyone else does and hope they go to shoot you first, that, or use Guardian Derision, as already stated by others.

I wouldn't mind if enemies affected by Roar had their damage reduced severely, and then were attracted to Rhino, to emphasize his role as a potential tank and to really give him some tanking abilities. Of course, only he'd receive the massive reduction of damage to his Iron Skin, but it at least make it easier to grab big groups for his Ironclad Charge build.

I'll still probably just stick with his CC and Support build for now, as even with a weak Iron Skin, being able to ignore Toxin or Bleed Procs is insanely good at higher levels.

I'd personally want his Piercing Roar augment to work in such a way, but one can dream.

On a 'historical' note, I recall a time when casting Iron Skin would actually increase his threat priority aka "pull aggro". I don't remember for what reason it was removed. This was definitely well before Iron Skin had an invulnerability/absorb phase, too.

2 hours ago, Kusungphak said:

I am very new player so hope this doesn't anger any veterans as its just my thoughts on tank aggro mechanics.

Did search for it in forums and seems it has been mentioned before as well.

For my current play style I like to run with tank frames Rhino and Inaros mostly. Since I am normally farming for resources, I do like to run survival missions. I would love to have a way to have enemies to be aggro'ed to me so that I can take the damage. I was helping another clan mate with a nightmare mission and they kept dying. Would really help in a situation like this.

Something like the Resonator (Octavia), Saryn (Molt). But they are not tank frames.

Don't want any buff from the incoming damage (like Nyx) just want enemies to come and attack me instead of my teammates. This way say a teammate is getting revived I can draw the enemy fire away. 

Just an idea. If it hampers the core play of other players how maybe an augment mod or Exilus mod which I can put on to draw enemy fire on Roar.

Example: Axe in Dota. Roar and all come and attack me instead.

if your friend is Octavia

he could throw 1 towards your direction so it looks elsewhere

Aggro stealing frames are quite limited
1. Loki's Fake Copy
2. Octavia's (1) ability

Just tell your friends to play safe and know when to retreat.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Ashim1 said:

i think youd be better off with ack and brunt with the guardian durision mod. this way you can aggro and tank even with nyx.  

Not all players (especially the new players) have the above mod.

2 hours ago, RunningTree3 said:

On a 'historical' note, I recall a time when casting Iron Skin would actually increase his threat priority aka "pull aggro". I don't remember for what reason it was removed. This was definitely well before Iron Skin had an invulnerability/absorb phase, too.

Iron skin actually raise your threat level, and on top of that there's a forced taunt for the 3 seconds invincibility.

It might not be the most effective type of taunt, but it's still a taunt...

And rhino can BY FAR outclass Inaros in tanking capabilities...

8 minutes ago, Cimbro94 said:

And rhino can BY FAR outclass Inaros in tanking capabilities...

those two mods would rend a rhino less viable in other niches. So it is either tankyness or everything else

Edited by Teloch