The "best" Secondary Weapon right now?

MrM1

Question

25 answers to this question

personally my go to are:

euphona prime

vaykor marelok

akstilleto prime

rakta ballistica, although I need to do some more work on it's build - primarily for loki as it's silent

I've got a riven mod (only secondary one I've had) for my spira prime too so when I've spent a small fortune on kuva to make it decent that will likely be added too as an option for silent weapons.

I know a lot of people quite like the twin grakatas and sonicor too although I can't say I use them much. 

Edited by LSG501

I'm a shotgun fan so my secondaries tend to be some variation of pocket snipers.

1 handed pistols with good damage, accuracy, and range...Decent firerate/re-load are very nice to have as well.

I save the automatic, mid-to-short range pistol variants for Bow days.

Generally not crazy about dual wielders as the animation looks so stiff to me.

Akstiletto Prime, Pandero, Vaykor Marelok

V. Marelok and Pandero have very similar TTK. Akstiletto is a bit faster but worse ammo economy compare to the other two.

Honorable mentioned to Sonicor and Staticor.

12 minutes ago, Rambit23Z said:

Akstiletto Prime. Built for Crit/Status hybrid with some firerate to make it a single target beast.

I mostly use those in combination with Loki to kill Nullifiers, but they are quite good at dealing damage too,

10 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

euphona prime

vaykor marelok

akstilleto prime

rakta ballistica

So, yeah, pick one of those, but add the Brakk ;)

I personally like Lex and Aklex Prime, Pandero, Euphy Prime, and the almighty Pox. I know Pox doesn't do all that much damage, but 4 bullets and you lose all armor regardless of level or if you're a boss or not... yeah, I'll take that. The others are just snipers cloaked as pistols which work better than actual snipers, so, all cool.

Depends on what I've got equipped in my primary slot but if I'm doing high level stuff I generally switch between vaykor marelok (when I need status) and lex prime (when I need high damage/crit). When I feel like having fun, I use sicarus prime, twin grakatas, and atomos (the last being especially fun when paired with warframes with abilities to gather enemies or with a ferrox).

8 minutes ago, Prime said:

I mostly use those in combination with Loki to kill Nullifiers, but they are quite good at dealing damage too,

So, yeah, pick one of those, but add the Brakk ;)

to be fair I've only just got the brakk (getting that last part to drop was a pita) a few days ago so couldn't really comment on it but you're right it does seem quite good from first impressions.

Edited by LSG501

If I've got an automatic primary or a shotgun, then I'll take Euphona Prime, Pandero, or Lex Prime. I'm currently levelling Vaykor Marelok, but I'll probably add that to the list, and Aklex Prime as well. If I'm using Peacemaker Mesa, then I use Euphona Prime, because I have the mod setup I want on that thing already in place, and don't need extra forma. 3 V polarities are awesome.

For slow fire primaries that aren't shotguns I use Akstilletto Prime, and occasionally Pandero.

I'm surprised Dual Toxocysts haven't had a mention, they are at top tier.

But if you want the all around best secondary for everything, I'd have to give the top spot to the Akstilleto Prime. If you want a best Peacemaker stat stick, then Dual Toxocysts beat every other secondary, because the headshot buff carries over into Peacemaker.

Oddly enough, the meta for secondaries doesn't shift a whole lot, and the list of "top-tier" secondaries really only grows as time passes. A short list of them is:

(Ak)Lex Prime, Staticor, Pandero, Euphona Prime, Akstiletto Prime, Vaykor Marelok, Pox, Atmos, Sonicor, and Sicarus Prime (as of its buff, anyways). 

One could also argue that Kulstar, Spira Prime, Hikou Prime, AkSomati, and Angstrum are also super good. I'd tend to agree, but they don't always compete with the guns in the first list. though I do have to say - the explosives are really damn fun and I 100% recommend Kulstar, even without a Riven for it. 

TBH though, the list of BAD secondaries is a much shorter list since secondary mods make pistols very powerful, and usually pretty viable at higher levels. You can use mostly anything as long as it pleases you because, for secondaries, it's hard to go wrong.

The 'best' ones have been mentioned already, I'd just like to add that I usually bring Primaries and Secondaries that have different complementary functions. For example, if I bring an Assault Rifle primary for mowing down groups, I'll bring along a high-accuracy Secondary for headshotting the heavier units.

I'll also often take a Secondary to capitalize on a specific Warframe or power. If I play Mag, I'll take the Syn Gammacor or Pandero in order to burst a large amount of damage into Magnetize very quickly.

1 hour ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

TBH though, the list of BAD secondaries is a much shorter list since secondary mods make pistols very powerful, and usually pretty viable at higher levels. You can use mostly anything as long as it pleases you because, for secondaries, it's hard to go wrong.

This is very true.  I have more very good secondaries than I know what to do with.  One of my current favs is the Akmagnus.  Got 3 forma into them just because I like them.  Then they messed up and gave me a riven for it.  LOL 

8 hours ago, LSG501 said:

to be fair I've only just got the brakk (getting that last part to drop was a pita) a few days ago so couldn't really comment on it but you're right it does seem quite good from first impressions.

Brakk doesn't deal with armor, like at all.

If you try shooting it at a lvl 145 Napalm, you'll see what I mean.

Unless OP wants to specify a level range; one has to assume all levels and all health types 

Pox would technically be the best against any armored units but it's not the best against unarmored and not needed till lvl 200+.

Quite a few factors in ranking the best secondaries and I think a  lot of these posts aren't taking them into consideration.

Rakta Ballistica is flatly the best AFAIK. On paper it has top tier DPS, but in practice it also gets to apply that DPS without losing mods. It gets punch-through without giving up mods. It has fine ammo economy without giving up mods. It's silent for free. In a survival or some such chaotic situation it's always shooting viral proc'd enemies from the blight proc going off, without actually having to put viral on it. Plus energy restoration from the proc. Plus core puncture damage. Plus, in a 4xCP or armor stripping situation it's 1,000 damage viral proc actually does surprisingly well at high levels compared to the others. Burst mode makes nullifiers easy. Reload speed @ 2.0 is fine, could be better but doesn't need a mod. Sometimes I give in and use Ice Storm for a bigger mag though.

Rivens will open that up. No one will talk about it because they'll continue to theorycraft pure DPS but in-game someone will get an Akstilleto riven with good damage and some punch-through or some such and they'll know the value in practice if they actually use Akstilleto's

That all being said... Euphona Prime does such ridiculous truckloads of damage per shot that I tend to use that most of the time now. I just build it crit and cold (ice storm for a 7rnd mag and deep freeze) and I think I've got the 120% impact mod on it. Probably should be built radiation with Primed Heated Charge instead... but whatever. Sub-optimal build, still strutting around one hit killing full health and full armor Grineer in T3 sorties with headshots, and the big fat bullets just seem to love the head hitbox. Seems way, way easier to get headshots than normal.

Edited by VKhaun

I must be playing a different game. I use the embolist, stug, acrid and the atomis. It helps that I have great rivens for these but I went hunting for those. The embolism has 6 meters of punch through in a cone shaped zone plus 100% automatic toxin proc. So I am hitting 3-15 enemies for decent damage but then it procs another 400% of that damage to all targets so despite other guns doing 5 times the base damage I'm hitting for about 40 times my normal damage. You just can't beat that with the guns mentioned even with pt mods.